Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

This will be interesting.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Will it, though?

I saw a lot of "the sky is falling" last night, and a lot of "ok... whatever". I honestly don't know what the change of ownership means for Twitter.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Elon Musk bought Twitter. Here's what he says he'll do next

April 25, 20226:28 PM ET
Heard on Morning Edition
Bobby Allyn

Elon Musk will soon hold the keys to Twitter.

The company announced on Monday that it has accepted the Tesla CEO's $44 billion offer to take the company private. That means the world's richest person who has a penchant for theatrics and erratic behavior is about to have the power to reshape discourse on a social network used by more than 200 million people every day.

How might Musk wield that power?

Here are some proposals for Twitter that he's floated.

Loosen up content rules in the name of free speech
The Tesla and SpaceX CEO describes himself as a "free speech absolutist" and has criticized what he sees as excessive moderation on online platforms.

He nodded to these beliefs in his statement announcing the purchase by saying that "free speech is the bedrock of a functioning democracy, and Twitter is the digital town square where matters vital to the future of humanity are debated."

Musk has argued that social networks should not remove comments that, while offensive, are still legal. During a recent interview at a TED conference he said, "If it's a gray area, let the tweet exist."

Twitter currently bans harassment, abuse and posts that wish physical harm to someone. The platform has other guardrails too, like a prohibition on misinformation related to COVID-19.

Experts who study social networks fret about Musk's push to loosen the rules of engagement on Twitter. They say that could give license to harassers, trolls and others who abuse the platform to target people.

They also worry relaxing the rules on Twitter will empower those looking to exploit the platform by spreading misinformation, or flat-out lies, about political events, government officials and matters related to public health and safety.

Create an edit button so users can change their tweets
One of the most requested product changes among Twitter users is an edit button.

Unlike Facebook, Instagram and other social media apps, it is not possible to change content on Twitter once it's published.

Musk has said he supports letting people change what their tweets say, a proposal that has stirred a heated debate among academics, journalists and other heavy users of the platform.

The fear among experts is that adding an edit button feature would be weaponized by bad actors, who could use it to cover up abuse or harassment as if it never happened, or to dupe or manipulate people.

But others say safeguards could be put in place so that tweets could be edited to clean up typos, while also showing a history of how the tweet was edited to preserve the original content.

Open up Twitter's algorithm to the public
Musk has said that the software that determines what people see and how widely content spreads on Twitter should be cracked open. He supports placing Twitter's algorithm on GitHub, a site popular with programmers for sharing computer code.

While some advocates of more transparency at social media companies say the that could be a step towards greater openness, others say revealing Twitter's dense and complicated algorithm to the public would accomplish very little.

A social network the size of Twitter processes billions of pieces of content every day. How and why tweets go viral, and how Twitter's recommendation system works, is so dense and complex that the company's own software engineers can be perplexed trying to understand its logic.

Launch a war on 'bot armies'
Combating the proliferation of bots on Twitter — fake accounts that are programmed to respond to tweets on certain topics — is another change Musk favors.

Musk's business empire has been known to attract is fair share of bots, including bots supportive of his electric car company Tesla that attack Musk critics.

He has not said he would like to temper those kind of bots, but he has suggested that there should be a crackdown on scammy bots promoting cryptocurrency hustles.

"If our twitter bid succeeds, we will defeat the spam bots or die trying!" Musk tweeted last week, adding that he'd like to "authenticate all real humans."

Scrap advertisements
Right now, almost 90% of Twitter's revenue comes from advertising, but the company has struggled to attract advertisers to the platform, which often devolves into political firestorms and ugly online brawls.

With the company going private, it will not be under the same pressure from shareholders to continually grow advertising revenue. Musk has said it should move to a subscription model.

Twitter has already taken some steps in that direction with the introduction last year of Twitter Blue, a premium service that cost $2.99 a month for addition features, like an undo button that allows for tweets to be recalled before they are sent.

Musk has said Twitter Blue should be cheaper, that if people are paying, they shouldn't have to see advertisements and that the cryptocurrency that started as a joke, Dogecoin, should be an acceptable form of payment for a Twitter subscription.

And a big unknown: Reinstate Donald Trump?
Musk has not publicly said whether he would allow former President Donald Trump back on the platform after the company permanently suspended him for rhetoric that broke its rules and stoked the siege on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6.

In an interview with Fox News on Monday, Trump called Musk "a good man," saying he was pleased with the billionaire's acquisition, but Trump said he has no plans to try to return to the Twitter. Instead, Trump said he will be focusing on his alternative social network known as Truth Social.

At an all-hands meeting on Monday afternoon, a Twitter employee asked CEO Parag Agrawal whether Trump would be reinstated. Agrawal said that was a question for Musk.

"Once the deal closes, we don't know which direction the platform will go," he said.

NPR's Shannon Bond contributed to this report.

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/25/1094671225/elon-musk-bought-twitter-plans

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: 40YEARSWAITING
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

Honest Q

Was there this much hand wringing when Jeff Bezos bought a legendary paper? Don't seem to recall that.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Not sure if you and I are thinking along the same lines, but IMO, this is a perfect way to approach the questions I have. I honestly don't see the acquisition as a big deal, but others feel different (IMO, because they treat Twitter as more than it really should be). Twitter is simply a social media platform. The content should always be treated with skepticism, and social media platforms will come and go. I don't see how Musk owning it has any real bearing on those tenets.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
So by donny’s own statement of not looking to rejoin Twitter, I fully expect him to rejoin Twitter. My guess is ‘Truth’ Social will go extinct.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
It just cracks me up that we live in a world where the left has their hair on fire over an electric car-maker that supports free speech!

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’m not on Twitter. I had an account once years ago but could see then it was filled with idiots, hate speech, trolls, and MORE idiots. I left the platform after a couple of weeks. I’ll not be going back now that more of the same will be released to express their ‘freedom of speech’.
Those that stay, or re-enter the thunderdome are looking for a fight and/or high blood pressure.
No thanks.
Let the stupidity run free. There’s no reason for me to give it audience.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by FATE
It just cracks me up that we live in a world where the left has their hair on fire over an electric car-maker that supports free speech!

He said "This will be interesting."
How is that getting up in arm? He didn't even use an exclamation point.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm guessing he is referring to the general backlash on Twitter itself and other media avenues regarding this deal. It's literally everywhere.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Yep. Just didn't think I needed a "j/c" when that's the flavor of the tears all over the planet. "This could end democracy!!"

P
Legend
Legend
P

what's sad is you don't understand what the very meaning of free speech is no matter how many times it's explained to you. The constitution makes the government unable to ,limit your speech, not a business to have rules and controls over what is posted.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

It seems as though those who claim they support people controlling their own business only do so until that business does something they don't like. There is nothing, I repeat nothing that guarantees any business must let you do what you want. Bake a cake for a gay couple? Business can do what they want. Disney doesn't like a law DeSantis passed? Punish the business. But you go ahead and keep making false claims.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't have twitter and the only twitter I ever read are the twitters re-posted on dawgtalkers.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from thumbs.gfycat.com]

Legend
Legend
Elon-Twitter...

BOOM!

thumbsup

E
Legend
Legend
E
I dont mind this unless they go a subscription model.

No Craps Given
P
Legend
Legend
P
When that's all you have to rebut the facts it speaks volumes.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Not sure if you and I are thinking along the same lines, but IMO, this is a perfect way to approach the questions I have. I honestly don't see the acquisition as a big deal, but others feel different (IMO, because they treat Twitter as more than it really should be). Twitter is simply a social media platform. The content should always be treated with skepticism, and social media platforms will come and go. I don't see how Musk owning it has any real bearing on those tenets.

Well the idea is that the algorithms and moderators lean heavily left and that there is some sort of power scale being tipped. I have LONG thought conservatives whining about their social media were kooks. Then they banned a sitting president and I was like ok, well he's an idiot so.

Then censoring around the election happened where posts connecting Biden and China/Ukraine. Thought that was weird.

Then Hunter Biden was Russian disinformation, it was not

Then you started being banned for questioning covid and the efficacy of vaccines and then I really had issues with it. Like how dare you peasants ask questions.

All these little things that on their own can be dismissed started piling up to where I could see why a lot of people think their is in fact bias.

Then the reaction of "I'm leaving twitter" and white Sean King deleting his account when Musk, a card carrying ACLU member buys twitter because he talked about free speech......it all adds up to people thinking they are losing something......losing what exactly?

It'll be interesting to see, are conservative folk just some whiney group with bot followers who get purged regularly, are they being shadow banned, Ice Cube tweeted to Musk to end his shadow ban.....

Would love to see Musk make it all available to the public.....he wont, but we are about to find out who is lying.

2 members like this: FATE, oobernoober
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Death to the Twitter bots and fake news!

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

eek

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

I was reading a Tweet about Kaep wanting to come back to the NFL..... I tweeted, I guess kaep wants to be a Slave again. Got banned. Can one of the sensitive Libs on here explain to me why why this is racist.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We don't really care either way. It's an internet business right to monitor and control their content. Can any of you say why all of a sudden you're so offended about how somebody runs their business? You never seemed to care when a business refused to bake a cake for a gay couple. Then business had a right to do as they please and conduct business as they saw fit. When the same thing happens with another business, suddenly it's a big deal to you. Maybe you only care depending on whether you agree with a businesses policies or not more than standing up for business rights.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Well I want to ask that business why Hillary has a Twitter account where she cries about getting robbed in the 2016 election
while Trump gets banned for crying about the 2020 election.

Legend
Legend
Yep. Just didn't think I needed a "j/c" when that's the flavor of the tears all over the planet. "This could end democracy!!"

Some of the employees were happy with all the money they made on the stock.

Some were less happy...

"Totally understand that this is entertainment for some," one Twitter employee tweeted. "But please understand that this is certainly not entertainment for me."

"The news today is so crazy I literally forgot I have COVID," another posted.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted by BpG

Honest Q

Was there this much hand wringing when Jeff Bezos bought a legendary paper? Don't seem to recall that.

I don't think there is a comparison there myself. A dying media channel vs. the biggest instant social media news communication platform in the history of the world. Hmm.

But Elon is a damn fool if he reinstates the insurrectionists accounts. And if he does, I hope twitter dies a rapid death, and he loses his ass.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by BpG

Honest Q

I don't think there is a comparison there myself. A dying media channel vs. the biggest instant social media news communication platform in the history of the world. Hmm.

But Elon is a damn fool if he reinstates the insurrectionists accounts. And if he does, I hope twitter dies a rapid death, and he loses his ass.

he won't and if anything, this is our one chance at unbiased news.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
M
Legend
Legend
M
Unbiased news? Ha, good one.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: jfanent
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
I don't really see it this way, but he has a strong point.

B
Legend
Legend
B

Maybe so, but free speech will be alive and well.

Just because a person doesn't like the message doesn't make the message wrong.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: jfanent
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

Look at that list of morons, conspiracy theorists, and insurrectionists. YES! The world needs more of their words... smfh.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 04/27/22 07:51 AM.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

You spend time on 4Chan? If not, why not? Don’t you want to see freedom of speech on full display?

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

You spend time on 4Chan? If not, why not? Don’t you want to see freedom of speech on full display?

I don't spend time on 4Chan because I don't know what it is...I have heard about Twitter, but have never pulled it up on my phone and Tweeted, or Twatted, or whatever. I have read some since many of you post them here on the board.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I’m on neither platform. My understanding is 4Chan is a cesspool of hate speech, and misinformation but it’s what unfettered free speech looks like. Unmoderated, Twitter will become the same.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I don't think (by any stretch) it is Musk's goal to have Twitter be unmoderated, or open to hate speech. I think the goal is to allow opinions without being cancelled if someone else doesn't like yours.

For instance... There was no discussion allowed on Twitter concerning Hunter Biden's laptop. Even discussing it in private messages was a no-no. Such discussion would result in suspension. THAT is censorship, pure and simple.

When the New York Post’s broke the story, with the source being the person in possession of the laptop, Twitter suspended their account for more than two weeks and blocked users from sharing the article. Why? Simple: "there were concerns about the ‘origins of the material,’" was the response. Seems like that would be the case of nearly all material... and surely all opinions, right? They also referred to the source material as "hacked" and that their site doesn't allow hacked material. There's always a rule somewhere for a media company to cover their biased censorship.

Think of this place. There are enough rules and TOS to pick on and suspend anyone if the mods really wanted to. Fortunately this place isn't bought and paid for by hand-picked politicians!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Fortunately this place isn't bought and paid for by hand-picked politicians!

.....YET!

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
He also seems to have a thing about the bot armies that have been running rampant on that platform.

IMO (and I'm not totally up to date on everything Elon Musk, or even everything Twitter so take this FWIW), I think people are up in arms simply because Musk is a weirdo, opinionated, and polarizing.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by 40YEARSWAITING
Well I want to ask that business why Hillary has a Twitter account where she cries about getting robbed in the 2016 election
while Trump gets banned for crying about the 2020 election.

Because Trump keeps spreading the lies that caused the January 6th insurrection.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not really upset by it. I do have an overall feeling about not just Musk owning Twitter but by a hand full of multi billionaires controlling pretty much all of social media. The same goes for very few controlling TV and printed media. I've never seen an example of how putting more and more power in the hands of fewer and fewer people turn out to be a good thing. Never.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Twitter Accepts Elon Musk’s Offer to Buy Company in $44 Billion Deal

Link Copied to Clipboard