Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Federal court dismisses challenges to Texas abortion law’s private enforcement provision

The law outlaws abortions once medical professionals can detect a fetal heartbeat, usually around six weeks into a pregnancy and before many women know they are pregnant.

A federal court has dismissed all challenges Tuesday to a provision in a controversial Texas' "fetal heart beat" abortion ban.

The U.S. 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals sent the legal challenge against the six-week abortion ban back to the state Supreme Court with orders to dismiss all challenges.

"Having received the ruling of the Texas Supreme Court that named official defendants may not enforce the provisions of the Texas Heartbeat Act… this court REMANDS the case with instructions to dismiss all challenges to the private enforcement provisions of the statute and to consider whether plaintiffs have standing to challenge," the ruling said.

The Texas Heartbeat Act, also known as Senate Bill 8, was originally signed into law in May 2021 and empowers private citizens to sue anyone suspected of aiding or abetting an abortion after fetal cardiac activity is detected, usually after six weeks of pregnancy.

In March, the Texas Supreme Court ruled that state medical licensing clinics don't have the authority to enforce the law. Weeks earlier, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to intervene in the matter, leaving abortion providers with a narrow path to victory and an uphill battle.

"The Court concludes that the petitioners may pursue a pre-enforcement challenge against certain of the named defendants but not others," the court wrote at the time, led by Justice Neil Gorsuch.

In a tweet, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott praised Tuesday's ruling and the "the pro-life law that is saving babies every day."

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton also celebrated the court's decision.

"Very proud of my team for bringing win after win for the unborn in Texas! The Texas Heartbeat Act is one of the greatest pro-life laws in the nation, and I’m glad to defend it," he wrote. "Tens of thousands of babies have been saved in Texas because of SB 8 and our victories in court!"

On Monday, the Texas Equal Access Fund, which raises funds for those seeking the procedure simply tweeted: "There’s nothing wrong with abortion."

Since taking effect, abortions have plummeted in Texas, one of several states dominated by conservatives that have past similar restrictions on abortions.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/texas-abortion-private-enforcement-court-ruling

1 member likes this: GMdawg
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Oklahoma lawmakers pass two bills banning abortions in one day
Oklahoma passed a law criminalizing most abortions earlier this month, but it won't go into effect until the summer

The Oklahoma Senate approved a near-total ban on abortions Thursday, while the state House passed a bill that will ban all abortions after the sixth week of pregnancy.

Both bills are modeled after a similar law passed in Texas last year that bans abortions once cardiac activity can be detected in the fetus, which is around six weeks, and allows private citizens to sue anyone who "aids and abets" an abortion.

Republican Gov. Kevin Stitt, who said earlier this month that "he wants to outlaw abortion in the state of Oklahoma," could sign both bills in the coming days.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oklahoma-lawmakers-send-6-week-abortion-ban-to-governors-desk

M
Legend
Legend
M
Sick and a brazen manipulation of the law. And a dangerous precedent.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: Jester
O
Legend
Legend
O
They aren't going to stop this crap until the pitchforks come out.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
DeSantis signs 15-week abortion ban into law
Pro-life activists shared stories of regretted abortions and adoptions of children who survived attempted abortions

Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed legislation banning abortions past 15 weeks on Thursday.

The legislation allows for abortions past 15 weeks only in situations involving a "fatal fetal abnormality," and makes no exceptions for rape or incest. The law limits the time an abortion is legal by nine weeks, as abortions were previously banned in the state past 24 weeks.

DeSantis emphasized that the legislation is not the only aspect of his pro-life agenda, adding that the bill also allocates funds to increase the number of infant mortality review boards across Florida.

"If you're looking at what we've done this week, we're promoting fatherhood in Florida," DeSantis said. "We want our kids to have dads in the home. We want the fathers present and to take responsibility. It's the most important thing you can do is to take responsibility for the upbringing of your kids."

DeSantis was joined by numerous pro-life activists at the bill signing event. Some of the activists shared stories of abortions they regretted, others of adopting children who had survived abortion attempts.

"There are two types of people that have led me to speak up," said Heather Grall-Barwick, who said she had an abortion when she was 21. "The women who say that abortion does not cause mental distress, and the women in their 70s who had abortions and testified that just now they're able to speak about them and the regret that they have felt for over 40 years."

"I made a mistake that I cannot change, but I can let others learn from my mistake," she added.

DeSantis' move comes on the heels of a six-week abortion ban in Texas. Mississippi also enacted a 15-week abortion ban last year. Both the Mississippi law and the Texas law have been challenged before the Supreme Court.

The Supreme Court has allowed the Texas ban to remain in effect while the case is being decided, a controversial decision in itself.

Justice Sonia Sotomayor railed against her colleagues' decision to allow the ban to remain in effect in December.

"The chilling effect has been near total, depriving pregnant women in Texas of virtually all opportunity to seek abortion care within their home State after their sixth week of pregnancy," she said of the law.

"The Court instead hides behind a wooden reading of Young, stitching out-of-context quotations into a cover for its failure to act decisively," she argued.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/desantis-florida-abortion-ban-15-weeks

O
Legend
Legend
O
Oh joy, another Nazi.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Kansas lawmakers uphold governor’s veto of trans sports ban
“Compassion wins today.”

https://thehill.com/changing-americ...hold-governors-veto-of-trans-sports-ban/

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Kansas lawmakers uphold governor’s veto of trans sports ban
“Compassion wins today.”

https://thehill.com/changing-americ...hold-governors-veto-of-trans-sports-ban/
“We all want a fair and safe place for our kids to play and compete,” Kelly wrote earlier this month in a veto message.

People actually say things like that... out loud... and believe it.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
I'm guessing you haven't heard this, but SCOTUS is looking at this

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
j/c:

Ohio lawmaker Jean Schmidt, 70, says rape can be an 'opportunity' for teenage victims to become good mothers as she argues to ban abortion

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-says-rape-opportunity-good-mothers.html

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
SMH!

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20
j/c:

Ohio lawmaker Jean Schmidt, 70, says rape can be an 'opportunity' for teenage victims to become good mothers as she argues to ban abortion

Just sick. 100% sick and twisted.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by 3rd_and_20
j/c:

And there is a special place in hell for her as well.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Great.

You can't just dismiss her as a nut like the rest of us and hope she is voted out of office, you have to judge her to hell.

Just great.

O
Legend
Legend
O
You seem to see a kindred spirit here, 40? The rest of us see a scumbag.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
She apparently isn't the only nut.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Whatever. Trumpians proved themselves traitorous again today. I wonder how much longer we will tolerate them. Some day in the future I believe the world will be free of the Neanderthal subspecies known as Trump supporters. And true Zentopia will be achieved among all mankind.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
You still haven't learned that the pursuit of Zentopia leads to high inflation.

P
Legend
Legend
P

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
And you obviously have no idea how economics work. But that shouldn't surprise anyone.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Whatever. Trumpians proved themselves traitorous again today. I wonder how much longer we will tolerate them. Some day in the future I believe the world will be free of the Neanderthal subspecies known as Trump supporters. And true Zentopia will be achieved among all mankind.

Wait if you consider child killers as Normal, and Baby killers as hero's then that;s just sick IMO

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Baby killing is in your head dude. Fetus scraping is not baby killing. But I get that you don't get that.

Legend
Legend
And I understand why you call it Fetus scraping. Your not able to admit it's baby killing, otherwise your wouldn't be able to live with yourself.

2 members like this: 40YEARSWAITING, archbolddawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
Heck, just call it what it is....murder. Deliberately planned murder.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: PastorMarc
Legend
Legend
Yep but some folks want to call it anything but murder because they can't live with them selves if they admit that.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
When men start having babies they will have a basis to speak on this issue..A WOMAN'S RIGHT TO DECIDE WHO CONTROLS HER BODY..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by mac
When men start having babies they will have a basis to speak on this issue..A WOMAN'S RIGHT TO DECIDE WHO CONTROLS HER BODY..!

Cool.

When people that don't have guns get guns, then they can decide on gun laws. Fair?

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
But its not her body we are fighting for.

Adults have options, the yet to be born do not.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

I agree 100 percent that a woman has the right to control her body.

BUT she should not have the right to murder a baby, as then she is controling the babies body. Let me know when people start claiming a baby has the right to control their own body no matter what the woman thinks or how it effects her health.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One thought I had.
When a couple gets pregnant, what do they say?
They say we are having a baby. Not we have a baby.
When mankind developed speech, they inherently knew the embryo and fetus weren't a baby yet

M
Legend
Legend
M
A collection of cells - non viable outside the womb - is not a baby.

In regards the argument that if cells were found on Mars, what it would mean and whether "Life on Mars" would mean anything? Yes - it would. It would prove for most that the Bible and the teachings of Religion on earth is untrue.... Well - until some human thought of a plausible lie to explain Gods Great plan that he shared with Man but forgot to mention the first time around when he sent his Son to us. Without religion as it's backbone - the Anti-abortion movement would lose most of it's steam.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac

Wrong, our bodies belong to God ... 1 CORINTHIANS 6:20 "God bought you with a great price. So honor God with your body. You belong to Him."

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mgh888
A collection of cells - non viable outside the womb - is not a baby.

In regards the argument that if cells were found on Mars, what it would mean and whether "Life on Mars" would mean anything? Yes - it would. It would prove for most that the Bible and the teachings of Religion on earth is untrue.... Well - until some human thought of a plausible lie to explain Gods Great plan that he shared with Man but forgot to mention the first time around when he sent his Son to us. Without religion as it's backbone - the Anti-abortion movement would lose most of it's steam.

There is a difference between life and human life
Killing an animal to make a steak or hamburger or bucket of fried chicken is taking life, albeit an animals life.
Being vegetarian/vegan any better? Still taking a plants life.
That life on Mars argument means that we couldn't eat anything but dirt.
But make sure there are no bugs in there or any bacteria...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

When a woman can get pregnant without a mans sperm let me know.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Funny, I just had a Christian woman I'm friends with tell me on FB, "If I wanted a Republican in my uterus, I'd sleep with one." She then elaborated on how this will hurt the GOP for decades. She was a Republican like I was until they went nuts. But she and millions like her will be voting in November. Can't wait. Maybe this will get us the progressive agenda I want so bad. Silver linings. Then I can laugh at the GOPers crying because so many are being helped up. However, I think this is just the opening salvo for dems in what looks to be an all out culture war now. Glad, I'll be on the right side of history.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted by GMdawg
Originally Posted by mac

When a woman can get pregnant without a mans sperm let me know.

1) What if the guy doesn’t want the cell clump either?

2) Not your cell clump? Not your problem.

3) It’s not a baby it’s a cell clump.

4) All male children should be given a vasectomy at 13. Problem of unwanted cell clumps would be completely solved. Done. No need for an abortion. Ever.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I had a cell clump removed from my body. It was precancerous, phew.
At the early stages there is no difference between the clump of cells that becomes a fetus and the clump of cells that becomes skin cancer, or colon cancer...

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
To me the hypocrisy is what gets me.
Most people who call themselves pro life are not really pro life, just anti abortion.
Once born they couldn't care less about what is now an actual baby.
Sleeping hungry in a cockroach infested apartment - not their problem anymore.
No access to a decent education - not their problem
Minimal prospects for a decent future - not their problem

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Cancer killer!

I know. I trimmed my nails today too. Nail murderer, here. But whatever, anything to butt into other peoples lives because theirs are so pathetic.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Your cell clump at week 10

[Linked Image from mayoclinic.org]

O
Legend
Legend
O
Looks Trumpian, KILL IT!

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/03/22 09:25 PM.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
As I’ve said, the private prison system needs inmates and the war machine needs fodder. Helpless young men feed the capitalistic beast. Give it 18 years post abortion ban we’ll be overrun by fresh inmates and cannon fodder.
The GOP goal will truly be achieved.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
rofl

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Texas Fetal Heartbeat Law Stands!

Link Copied to Clipboard