Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
V
Legend
Legend
V
I wasn't sure, either. I'll look it up myself. Just wondered if you knew off the top of your head.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
peen, that's fair and I understand where you are coming from. I just see it more like Bull does. Teams upgrading players and parting ways w/players is nothing new. Almost all guys move on and keep their feelings inside. Baker hasn't been able to do that and it is my belief that he is hurting himself more than the Browns by doing so. But again, it's cool that we disagree because seeing different opinions is a good thing.

I don't even think we disagree. At minimum Baker hasn't done himself any favors.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Regarding Watson on whether or not he was locked out last year w/the Texans, I found this about Watson:

He comes to NRG Stadium for training, but isn't involved in football activities.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
I tried to PM you. Send me a PM...have something for you

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by jacksondawg
4 wins no losses against Burrows

Burrow only played in two of those games.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Man the hate towards a player is just amazing - sometimes it is best to simply move on. We can praise DW's prowess without dragging down Baker.

Things I thought were amazing.

His entranced to the NFL as what's his name got hurt and Baker came in the Jet game to bring us to victory...the entire fan community was excited. The Brown's players were excited on D as well as O.

In his rookie season he was successful in the red zone an unheard of 20 TDs and -0- INTs.

He had an uncanny ability to avoid sacks and scramble about.

He was named ROY for all players in 2018 by the Writers Club

what happened? well 4 new HC 3 new playbooks before we decided on Ski...and we tried to have Baker become part of the system rather than work the system to what Baker did best. I saw a change as he tried to be the QB that Ski wanted.

Still I saw the Browns make the playoffs and best the Steelers something we could not do in our last opportunity in 2002???

Well I would have preferred if Baker sat down after the complete tear and get his surgery done so he would have been ready to go 100% around this time and we would have had a better draft pick with Case Keenum as our back up. And gor a Jordan Davis to add to our D with the Amari Cooper addition and build the team up some more. But we chose to play him injured and a HC doesn't let the player continue to play when he obviously could not do so competitively. We failed to shut him down. Baker would want to play with his leg falling off so you can't go by that. Ski if he really wanted Baker as his QB he would not have played him. Giving this much up for one player has not worked well in the past but its for a very good QB but we took the risk as there is off the field baggage with DW. But we did it and I'm a Browns fan through and through. Screw character of a team lets win at all cost. We could have gone about this without burning the Baker bridge but we didn't even tried. Baker became bitter what did you all expect.

We made our bed now we got to sleep in it. I'm not proud of Watson I guess we can give him another chance in being social in his private behavior. If this is a sickness we are totally left without draft picks or a QB and we guaranteed the money....a lot of money.

Its scary...I'm not sold on Stefanski I think he is in over his head. I'm sold on DW as a player but not Ski - I hope this isn't wasted on him.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
1 member likes this: Tackman
Legend
Legend
I am not sure the team can simply lock him out and tell him to not show up and he has to show up unless he wants to void the contract. Even if we can ask him to not show up, paying him will still cost us a roster spot.

Since he's recovering from surgery, can't we put him on that active PUP list? Both sides can save face, and you can come off that list at any time should a team show interest.

"Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time prior to the start of the regular season, even after one practice."

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by jfanent
I am not sure the team can simply lock him out and tell him to not show up and he has to show up unless he wants to void the contract. Even if we can ask him to not show up, paying him will still cost us a roster spot.

Since he's recovering from surgery, can't we put him on that active PUP list? Both sides can save face, and you can come off that list at any time should a team show interest.

"Players can be moved off the PUP list to the active roster at any time prior to the start of the regular season, even after one practice."

We can but that’s not until training camp.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Only one other owner actually said he would have matched the 230 million dollar guaranteed contract. Only one. Not 6 or 4 or any other number. That leaves 30 other owners. No matter how much you try to twist that it won't change. And the league has been fighting long term, fully guaranteed contracts for several years now. Those are just the facts. Of course other teams "looked into" trading for watson. Trying to use that as some badge of proof they were willing to match some crazy contract obviously didn't play out that way because he is in Cleveland. Try this again.

There are 32 teams in the NFL. Obviously some made offers watson didn't want to accept. Even the Browns original offer because he made it plain he wasn't coming to Cleveland. Then they made an outrageous offer he couldn't refuse. Only one other owner made the claim he would have matched it. That leaves 30 other owners that probably hate the deal because now the Browns have set the precedent all other highly respected players, especially QB's, will be using in future negotiations.

32-2=30

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by eotab
Man the hate towards a player is just amazing - sometimes it is best to simply move on. We can praise DW's prowess without dragging down Baker.

No, no they can't. The QB who took us to the playoffs only two seasons ago including a playoff win, after playing hurt for an entire season is now a POS. You must have not been paying attention.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
To me Baker is still a good QB. I would say he is between 20-25 if you ranked the starting NFL QB's. He may have an abrasive personality and he may have some growing up to do but he does have talent when healthy. Is DW better ? Yes. DW is probably ranked in the top 6 best QB's. There's no need to put Baker down. He was hurt last year and probably shouldn't have played but that's water under the bridge. He eventually will go to another team and do well I'm sure. I don't know how far he can take another team but he'll have some success.

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Dude, you degrade a man for taking a job AFTER he was fired? Really? Now, you are the victim? What a hypocrite.

Just curious, is it more acceptable to degrade a guy before you fire him? Lots of people have selective outrage now-a-days so it seems to be standard quo. He called out an ex-coach who signed with a rival, our team called our own QB a child. Both can be true, but I sure wouldnt want to argue there is a big difference.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The Baker fan club isn't quite seeing the following
The Browns ownership and front office felt the only way this
Franchise was going to get to a possible Super Bowl
Was upgrading the QB position.
Yeah keeping Mayfield around probally meant playoffs but nothing
More than that. Baker was nothing more than Andy Dalton 2.0
As a matter of fact Mayfield only reached the playoffs once
As the Browns signal caller

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't believe that the Baker Fan Club, as you call them, have an issue with the upgrade at QB. Teams do that all the time and that is the nature of the beast. How they did it, who they did it with, and the disrespect for what he has done for Cleveland is the issue.

If a QB gets all the heat for the losses, they should get equal praise for the wins. Mayfield came to a team that was in such disarray they had a 1-31 record over the previous 2-years and hadn't smelled a playoff berth in nearly 2 decades. Through 4 head coaches and numerous personnel changes, Mayfield was able to lead the Browns not only to the playoffs but a playoff win by year 3. There's a hell of a lot of difference in your development as a QB if you're coming to a 1-31 team in a total rebuild compared to a Watson that came to the Texans after 2 consecutive playoff appearances. That doesn't make Watson a better QB or Mayfield a worst, they are just at different stages of development. However, at this stage in their careers, Watson obviously is further along. What the 2 players will be 5-7 years from now is all speculation.

After what Mayfield has done for the Cleveland Browns, the city of Cleveland, and the Browns Fans the 4-years he has been here should be appreciated. Instead, this forum is packed with Baker Haters that want to blame him for everything and give credit for nothing. After an injury filled year where in hindsight he should have been sat, the Haters are on the march in some type of justification for what the Browns are doing in feel good attempt to pat themselves on their back by pointing out everything Mayfield has done wrong. There's not a QB playing the game that doesn't have weaknesses, bad mouthing them doesn't take any effort - recognizing accomplishments does.

So now the Browns have made their move and the "Super Bowl" QB is now under contract. History shows this forum will turn on Watson like a rabid goat if this doesn't work. Analysts are already predicting the Browns will not be a playoff team in 2022, if true, 1 down and 4 to go.................Next stop, the top QB in the NFL...............

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by steve0255
I don't believe that the Baker Fan Club, as you call them, have an issue with the upgrade at QB. Teams do that all the time and that is the nature of the beast. How they did it, who they did it with, and the disrespect for what he has done for Cleveland is the issue.

If a QB gets all the heat for the losses, they should get equal praise for the wins. Mayfield came to a team that was in such disarray they had a 1-31 record over the previous 2-years and hadn't smelled a playoff berth in nearly 2 decades. Through 4 head coaches and numerous personnel changes, Mayfield was able to lead the Browns not only to the playoffs but a playoff win by year 3. There's a hell of a lot of difference in your development as a QB if you're coming to a 1-31 team in a total rebuild compared to a Watson that came to the Texans after 2 consecutive playoff appearances. That doesn't make Watson a better QB or Mayfield a worst, they are just at different stages of development. However, at this stage in their careers, Watson obviously is further along. What the 2 players will be 5-7 years from now is all speculation.

After what Mayfield has done for the Cleveland Browns, the city of Cleveland, and the Browns Fans the 4-years he has been here should be appreciated. Instead, this forum is packed with Baker Haters that want to blame him for everything and give credit for nothing. After an injury filled year where in hindsight he should have been sat, the Haters are on the march in some type of justification for what the Browns are doing in feel good attempt to pat themselves on their back by pointing out everything Mayfield has done wrong. There's not a QB playing the game that doesn't have weaknesses, bad mouthing them doesn't take any effort - recognizing accomplishments does.

So now the Browns have made their move and the "Super Bowl" QB is now under contract. History shows this forum will turn on Watson like a rabid goat if this doesn't work. Analysts are already predicting the Browns will not be a playoff team in 2022, if true, 1 down and 4 to go.................Next stop, the top QB in the NFL...............
The faithful Browns fans owe Baker or any player nothing. Pro athletes are going to
Get praised or crucified. Fans have a right to feel anyway they want to about a player.
Baker Mayfield has never had to really face adversity in his life or go through
The struggles of a common person
He grew up wealthy. Pampered and catered to.
All.this horsefeathers,about fans owing Mayfield this that the other thing
What did Mayfield do for fans outside the playing surface of football?
And I'm not talking about a common let's give 40 kids 500 a dollars a piece
To go shopping at Target at xmas time and let it on TV News 8.
Did Mayfield pay for a kids operation?
Did he donate to local homeless or animal shelter ?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by LexDawg
Dude, you degrade a man for taking a job AFTER he was fired? Really? Now, you are the victim? What a hypocrite.

Just curious, is it more acceptable to degrade a guy before you fire him? Lots of people have selective outrage now-a-days so it seems to be standard quo. He called out an ex-coach who signed with a rival, our team called our own QB a child. Both can be true, but I sure wouldnt want to argue there is a big difference.

I think you are misunderstanding my interpretation or perhaps you just want to. Baker criticized Hue for taking a job AFTER the latter was fired. Flash forward and Baker is asking for a trade and talking about feeling disrespected, bashing teammates, and his situation BEFORE the Browns even let him go. Go ahead and defend that if you like. We each have our opinions.

V
Legend
Legend
V
This board has far more Baker apologists, excuse makers, and champions than it has haters. Hell, guys like you hate on the entire organization just to defend Baker. That's your right and I would never try and stop you from believe that Baker is great and everyone else sucks. However, the Once Upon a Time version of history is old.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Baker Mayfield and his wife, Emily, have made a $50,000 donation to the Greater Cleveland Food Bank as part of a match, helping to provide up to 1.2 million meals for families in need. In addition, Baker has donated more than 3,500 meals to Meals on Wheels of Norman, OK, as well as 8,000 meals to St. Augustine Hunger Center in Cleveland. Baker and Emily will also be joining Chef Carla Hall to support GENYOUth's COVID-19 Emergency School Nutrition Fund.

As part of Browns Give Back, the Browns hosted the 23rd Annual Deck the House Benefit Auction for the Providence House. With the help of Baker Mayfield, the event helped raise over $250,000.

The Cleveland Browns have named quarterback Baker Mayfield their 2021 Salute to Service Award nominee, recognized for his commitment to honoring and supporting military and veteran communities.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Baker Mayfield and his wife, Emily, have made a $50,000 donation to the Greater Cleveland Food Bank as part of a match, helping to provide up to 1.2 million meals for families in need. In addition, Baker has donated more than 3,500 meals to Meals on Wheels of Norman, OK, as well as 8,000 meals to St. Augustine Hunger Center in Cleveland. Baker and Emily will also be joining Chef Carla Hall to support GENYOUth's COVID-19 Emergency School Nutrition Fund.

As part of Browns Give Back, the Browns hosted the 23rd Annual Deck the House Benefit Auction for the Providence House. With the help of Baker Mayfield, the event helped raise over $250,000.

The Cleveland Browns have named quarterback Baker Mayfield their 2021 Salute to Service Award nominee, recognized for his commitment to honoring and supporting military and veteran communities.
He has my respect then.
Perhaps he is a better person than a QB
And that is very admireable indeed

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
I thought Baker was the one who asked that he and the Browns part ways. Maybe he should have kept his mouth shut?

When was that, in relation to the guaranteed $230 million for DW? Before that happened? Or after?

Vers, I'm asking again as I saw no response to this question.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I choose to not fight w/you arch. Everyone knows the answer to your question and I suspect everyone knows why you are asking it. I have no problem w/you hating on the Browns and defending Baker. You do...you. I'll continue to call it the way I see it. Now, I would rather discontinue any further dialogue w/you. I have read the tea leaves and I'm good w/moving on.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I choose to not fight w/you arch. Everyone knows the answer to your question and I suspect everyone knows why you are asking it. I have no problem w/you hating on the Browns and defending Baker. You do...you. I'll continue to call it the way I see it. Now, I would rather discontinue any further dialogue w/you. I have read the tea leaves and I'm good w/moving on.

ME???? Hating on the Browns? Come on man. That's stupid.

YOUR post: "I thought Baker was the one who asked that he and the Browns part ways. Maybe he should have kept his mouth shut?"

WHEN was that said? Before, or after the $230 million guaranteed to DW?

If it was before, Baker was in the wrong. If it was after, Baker was 100% correct.

I'm not looking to fight either, although I DO get tired of your constant Baker bashing. It's a bad look.

Another question, which I'm guessing you won't answer, but, if DW gets hurt (if he even plays this year), you going to give him a free ride? Or are you going to say "well, he got hurt, no wonder he didn't lead us to the superbowl"?

I mean, really, you and a few others are making it seem like "Ah, we got a HUGE upgrade in qb, wins all around."

You DO realize, do you not, that: 1. DW isn't even guaranteed to play this year. 2. He's the guy that sat out last year cause he didn't like the fact he didn't get to pick his coach. 3. He may decide to do that here at some point. 4. What if he gets hurt?

You would rather discontinue any further dialogue with me? Weird. For an ex teacher, I thought you liked questions. I see you rather prefer to "dictate" what can be said. You and ocd - when I question, he "perma ignores me", you prefer to not reply to me. Odd.

2 members like this: PitDAWG, mgh888
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
This board has far more Baker apologists, excuse makers, and champions than it has haters. Hell, guys like you hate on the entire organization just to defend Baker. That's your right and I would never try and stop you from believe that Baker is great and everyone else sucks. However, the Once Upon a Time version of history is old.

This boards has far too many people who think their opinions actually mean more than everyone else's. If people have to create labels to apply to others to try and belittle their opinions they have lost the plot. It is the weapon of the weak.

Change my mind.

2 members like this: atgolds, Tackman
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by LexDawg

I think you are misunderstanding my interpretation or perhaps you just want to. Baker criticized Hue for taking a job AFTER the latter was fired. Flash forward and Baker is asking for a trade and talking about feeling disrespected, bashing teammates, and his situation BEFORE the Browns even let him go. Go ahead and defend that if you like. We each have our opinions.

If I had to I think I'd feel better downplaying that behavior than 22 sexual assault claims...

V
Legend
Legend
V
I get where you are coming from. Carry on.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Can't you all post without insulting or labeling others who do not align with your opinions.

A good team can win without an elite QB - he has to be good. But it still is a TEAM sport. I thought Baker was franchise material and that is all you need to win. Build around what you got.

What I also object to is I am a strong believer in a championship team a dynasty team is reflective of the players they take in the 1st and 2nd rounds. You got to hit on those which I think we were doing and this trade stymied us in bringing in talent with a nice addition as subtraction naturally get made. You lose one you get one or two. Jordan Davis or nobody for 3 years...can a team survive.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
M
Legend
Legend
M
I thought Baker was the one who asked that he and the Browns part ways. Maybe he should have kept his mouth shut?

When was that, in relation to the guaranteed $230 million for DW? Before that happened? Or after?

Vers, I'm asking again as I saw no response to this question.

March 16th: Chris Mortensen reports "the Browns want an adult in the room."

March 17th: Adam Schefter reports that Baker Mayfield has requested a trade. Cites Baker Mayfield as his source. The Browns say they will not accommodate his request. This day the Browns also hear they are out of the running for DeShaun Watson.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...browns-says-best-interests-sides-move-on

March 18th: DeShaun Watson announces his decision to sign with the Browns.

P
Legend
Legend
P
When someone wishes to avoid your questions the most convenient thing for them to do is to blame you for asking the question. It's known as deflection.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
When someone wishes to avoid your questions the most convenient thing for them to do is to blame you for asking the question. It's known as deflection.
Expert advice right there.

2 members like this: jfanent, FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
I've always addressed your questions. You may not have liked or agreed with the answers, but I've always addressed them. Don't trash Pure Football with your nonsense.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I've always addressed your questions. You may not have liked or agreed with the answers, but I've always addressed them. Don't trash Pure Football with your nonsense.

You can believe what you like.

I suppose PF is only for you to take shots at people. Leave it to the pro I suppose.

J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Excellent post arch
Vers yes are no
Due the Browns win 13 games next year period
Dues Deshaun prove he is a top 5 qb yes or no
Is are defense better next year because Deshaun is going to keep them
Off the Field yes or no

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Did someone mention "Pure Football?" If so, see his post that preceded the Pure Football post. LOL

V
Legend
Legend
V
One thing I have been thinking about is how Baker's season ended last year. After being humiliated and laughed at by the Steelers, Baker said something like he was going to consult w/his family and his agent and not the team about whether or not he would play the next week against the Bengals.

Very professional.

B
Legend
Legend
B
One thing I have been thinking about is how Baker's season ended last year. After being humiliated and laughed at by the Steelers, Baker said something like he was going to consult w/his family and his agent and not the team about whether or not he would play the next week against the Bengals.

Very professional.

That is what really turned me off.

earlier in the year he said HE would make the decision on if he played...then he did. Then after a bad game, he sits?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Legend
Legend
A
Hey, heads up here: Baker's not playing in Cleveland again. You got your wish. You've taken your victory lap. Laps, ad nauseum.

Now, instead of bashing Baker in just about every post, try NOT doing that. That would be great.

1 member likes this: mgh888
V
Legend
Legend
V
I wonder if the Browns were going to move on from him even if they didn't get Watson? They may have said they were going to give him another year just to increase his trade value? I am not pretending to know the answer, but almost everything I have heard leads me to think that the relationship had gotten very bad. For example, Rob Nikovich [spelling?} who sometimes appears on Get Up, related a story about Baker when Niko was doing the radio color commentary for the Patriots/Browns game. He said that after Baker went into the Blue Tent, not one player went over to check on him after Baker returned to the bench. He said that was extremely odd. I'm paraphrasing.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Myself, I've never seen a player go check on a player that went into the tent. Maybe I'm missing some.

Dude, just quit crapping on baker. He's done in Cleveland. you got your wish. Just quit.

Start telling us how awesome the Browns will be with DW?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

M
Legend
Legend
M

To be fair that is a bit of a meh article and just like some of bashing here, is just a rehash of old news and opinions. I guess the "new" spin on this piece is the reframing of the discussion In the "same old Browns" lens.

We'll all be glad when there is some resolution.

Personally I've no Idea of the realistic possibility we keep him all year and try to get a 3rd rounder as compensation next year.... I've seen that theorized in multiple places. But not only is there cap and roster implications I think the NFL and ayers would take an extraordinary dim view of that... No matter posters want to infer Baker is a cankour that no players like or respect.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum More Baker... the slow trek to the end

Link Copied to Clipboard