Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
V
Legend
Legend
V
For clarification purposes. This quote is from a post I made on May 8th. I also made similar statements on other occasions.

--Baker does have some support in the locker room and some guys do like him.

Awhile ago, I was called a liar by some that said there were issues between Baker and some of his teammates. I was shocked because it had been all over the place. I think most now understand I was not making things up. But, I want to make this clear. I have never insinuated that all his teammates hate him. That is not true. He did have some friends and some support in the locker room, just not enough.

I think a bigger problem is the divide that grew between Baker and the coaching staff/FO over the severity of the injury and the criticism coming from Baker's camp about our players and decisions.

I love redemption stories and would be happy to see Baker mature, become more accountable, prepare harder, and succeed. But, it starts w/him and his camp. Stop w/the blame game and excuses. Take accountability for your own actions. Dedicate yourself to becoming the very best version of "you" that you can be. I'm not sure why people have a problem w/that philosophy?

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mgh888
No matter posters want to infer Baker is a canker that no players like or respect.

For clarification purposes - when I said "Infer" I meant exactly that. Like when posters overwhelmingly post extremely negative perspectives and viewpoints, with many many posts (more than anyone else talking about the subject) essentially saying the same things and suggesting Baker blames others: blames players, blames coaches and the broadest implication of ALL their posts taken as a whole INFER that Baker is a P.O.S and a Canker, no matter what a single line from one post might say.

I mean it might be easy for someone with that amount of negative take on one player - to write what seems like one rounded post and claim that he's fair an balanced, and unless someone was paying attention, posters might not realize.

I'm not going to touch the lying about why OBJ left and reinventing history. That was pointed out and settled by someone else who highlighted that.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
V
Legend
Legend
V
Pure Football, baby.

1st String
1st String
Indeed as Baker seems to be on his very last leg with the league there. Not just the Browns!

April Showers and Easter 2024!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

Did someone mention "Pure Football?" If so, see his post that preceded the Pure Football post. LOL

And then look at this one.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
j/c:

Did someone mention "Pure Football?" If so, see his post that preceded the Pure Football post. LOL

And then look at this one.
Yep, yours is not oure football either.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And neither is yours. As a matter of fact most of them aren't. Most are just coming after. I feel badly for you since that's the best you can come up with for a pastime. But you're not alone.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
And neither is yours. As a matter of fact most of them aren't. Most are just coming after. I feel badly for you since that's the best you can come up with for a pastime. But you're not alone.

To be honest you were the one complaining. I was just helping you out by pointing out the posts that aren't pure football. It seemed to vex you so.

You are welcome.

1 member likes this: jfanent
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FrankZ

To be honest you were the one complaining. I was just helping you out by pointing out the posts that aren't pure football. It seemed to vex you so.

You are welcome.

Actually to be fair - Pit was doing exactly what you claim to be doing: Namely he wasn't complaining, he was pointing out how a post wasn't pure football. Because you and Pit have this colorful and cheerful banter on the boards you clearly felt obliged to respond, and here we are.

You are right - there are a lot of posts that aren't 'pure football' - they go from needling people, to telling others how to post, to trying to reframe posts or mansplain them .... none of that is 'pure football' and many many posters are guilty. Literally any reply that points out the 'pure football' angle is itself a self fulfilling poke. Personally I see a lot of those coming from one single source leading to this sort of sidebar discussion and it's why I try hard not to respond to them. Clearly, by virtue of this post, I failed.

Legend
Legend
https://www.foxsports.com/stories/n...e-the-ego-take-second-chance-with-browns

It's no secret that Mayfield is ready to move on from the Browns' jampacked QB room, which now includes Deshaun Watson and Jacoby Brissett, after he officially requested a trade from Cleveland back in March.

On Thursday's "The Herd," Colin Cowherd offered some frank advice to the disgruntled Browns quarterback about making amends with the organization after NFL Network's Ian Rapoport recently suggested that "Mayfield knows Cleveland is a place he should probably play."

"Baker doesn't want to [be on the Cleveland roster]," Cowherd said. "[His] ego is hurt, and those Oklahoma egos are sizable. They come with a big chip on both shoulders. Baker, lose the Oklahoma ego. Go to Cleveland, play and get a second chance because nobody wanted you. Seattle thought about it. Carolina thought about it, and they're both rebuilding. No good team is interested at all in Baker Mayfield. So, your career is essentially in the toilet.

"You got some money — so do a lot of people. What do you want your legacy to be? No. 1 bust?"

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

George Washington
Legend
Legend
Cowherd's such a jackass.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
3 members like this: mgh888, oobernoober, bonefish
Legend
Legend
Lol

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

George Washington
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yes he is, but he's also partially right here. Baker would have been snapped up without the 18 mil in the deal. It was stupid for the Browns to do that then pull the DW trigger. But Baker should and probably will show up for camp unless the FO tells him not to, and be on the roster until a QB goes down. What else can he do really?

I honestly think he will be gone before the regular season and the Browns will eat most of that 18 mil. Unless Baker himself let's the Brown's off the hook to leave town, and that would be STUPID on his part, he'll be here a while.

Berry should probably get on the phone and call every team and dangle that he is ready to deal (eat part of the money) to move baker pre season. Then see if any offers come. I seriously wouldn't know what to think if they can't move him then. You don't just cut a QB #1 overall and eat the entire 18 mil... that will never happen IMO.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/19/22 10:02 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
But Baker should and probably will show up for camp unless the FO tells him not to, and be on the roster until a QB goes down. What else can he do really?

Once camp starts he can go on the active PUP list, if he and the team mutually agree.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by jfanent
But Baker should and probably will show up for camp unless the FO tells him not to, and be on the roster until a QB goes down. What else can he do really?

Once camp starts he can go on the active PUP list, if he and the team mutually agree.

That's an option, but if he is able to participate, it might be dumb on his part. NFL commentators think his ego is too big for other teams, he needs to fix that and by humbling himself very publicly, showing up, keeping his head down, and working he might do that.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/19/22 10:18 PM.

Legend
Legend
What a load of crap. He is a cheap shot sports rummy IMO. What an arrogant tool. boo

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
What a load of crap. He is a cheap shot sports rummy IMO. What an arrogant tool. boo

Are you talking about Cowherd, Baker, or both?

Legend
Legend
Way before his trash talking Baker like the first time I ever heard Cowherd. I disliked him.

He comes off as a "know it all" and he actualy knows very little.

He makes his living and he is good enough at it to stay employed. But as far as knowledge of sports? Please.

Actually there are very few in the "media" that I pay any attention to.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Coward is one of the worst sports journalist. If he didn't get shock jock nobody would bother listening/read him.

The bridge was burnt on both ends of the candle. He is correct possibly the best thing for the BROWNS is if he would play during the suspension and the Browns then could trade him easily just before the trade deadline. Right now Baker not playing means Baker is HEALING. He will get a 2nd chance somewhere but right now his "CHANCE" is not there because of the cost of draft pick/s plus 18+mil guaranteed. Not a combo teams will take a "CHANCE" on. Unfortunately for the Brown eventually Baker will become a free agent if he doesn't play just means he HEALs 100% and he's getting paid a pretty penny regardless 2023 he will 100% be on a team and become a starter. So actually its the Browns who should change their relationship or else we lose out, not Baker the best thing for his body is to rest a year!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Many years ago Cleveland had maybe the grandaddy of sports talk hosts, Pete Franklin.

A lot of people didn't like him.

I don't mind Cowherd. I may not like all of his takes, but I can't say he is full of crap.

That is part of the gig with these folks. It brings listeners/viewers. Get half the people loving to watch or listen, the other half to hate watching or listening, but get them anyway.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
There was a time I could listen to Cowherd occasionally. 10+ years ago, maybe more.

Today if I ever see him - he does the same thing on every topic without fail. He takes a contrary approach to a situation - then spends a very long time framing and reframing the same talking point in a light that seems to support his contrary take. If he ever gets outside callers he makes sure to get some rabid idiot on who doesn't make an intelligent talking point, he let's them get emotional then cuts them off and then essentially says "see" ... He sort of reminds me of a Sports Hack version of Rush. It's total garbage - but some like that stuff and fall for it.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I remember Pete Franklin. Who can forget "Go gargle with razor blades?" LOL

I don't like Cowherd at all and never listen to him. On the other hand, Baker dug his own grave w/how immaturely he handled this entire situation. He's talking himself out of the league. Once again, his advisors need him to formulate a new image. Stop blaming others. Take responsibility. Stop talking about teammates negatively. Talk about how you are going to dedicate to becoming the very best player and teammate that you can be. If he does those things, he can salvage his career.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed Ball. I do like to hear what Cowherd has to say. He is tough on Baker but a lot of what he has to say is true. He isn't always right and he has admitted it. He has a right to his opinion just like all of my fellow posters on this forum has whether I agree with them or not. I watch the sports talk shows while I babysit my grandson and I enjoy them whether I agree with the people or not. NFL live, Skip and Shannon, Get Up, first Take etc. they're all pretty good and informative. My favorite guy is Steven A. on first take. I always tune in to see what he has to say on the days sports news. I honestly think that good or bad they've all been pretty fair with Baker.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
There was a time I could listen to Cowherd occasionally. 10+ years ago, maybe more.

Today if I ever see him - he does the same thing on every topic without fail. He takes a contrary approach to a situation - then spends a very long time framing and reframing the same talking point in a light that seems to support his contrary take. If he ever gets outside callers he makes sure to get some rabid idiot on who doesn't make an intelligent talking point, he let's them get emotional then cuts them off and then essentially says "see" ... He sort of reminds me of a Sports Hack version of Rush. It's total garbage - but some like that stuff and fall for it.

You just summed up the entire American entertainment industry; sports and "reality" TV shows

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: mgh888
P
Legend
Legend
P

Now that the tide has turned in a different direction people seem to act as though he has become a different person. Hadn't you heard? That's what usually happens when someone is saying what they want to hear. When that narrative wasn't what they wanted to hear, that's when he was a jackass.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Now that the tide has turned in a different direction people seem to act as though he has become a different person. Hadn't you heard? That's what usually happens when someone is saying what they want to hear. When that narrative wasn't what they wanted to hear, that's when he was a jackass.

You're pseudo hypocrisy schpiel is getting old. I've always thought Cowherd was a jackass and posted as much here.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Maybe I'm just speaking for myself, but I don't think that's true at all. I've done a bit of a switch on Baker, but not Cowherd. Dude is doing a victory lap on something he's only partially correct on. Plus, you never hear him talk about the time of stuff he gets wrong.

Plus, it's not like Berry dumped Baker and turned to the FA scrap heap or drafted from this terrible QB class. We moved on a once ina lifetime situation where an elite QB was available.

Baker hasn't done himself any favors with how he's handled the whole thing, and that does sorta track with some of what Cowherd had been talking about with Baker. That said, this isn't some exceptional data point where we need to rethink our stances on Cowherd.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
I agree w/jfan. I have never really listened to the guy because I didn't care for him the first time I listened to him. However, I used to read on this board about what a turd Cowherd was all the time. Pit is reinventing history again.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Then it's probably a good thing I wasn't speaking about you specifically.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree w/jfan. I have never really listened to the guy because I didn't care for him the first time I listened to him. However, I used to read on this board about what a turd Cowherd was all the time. Pit is reinventing history again.

Comprehension must be an issue again. I actually agree that Cowherd "used to be" such a turd by all. Now we watched someone quoting him to support their posittion on a Baker thread. Try reading my response again.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Cowherd. I still have some respect for Baker, but think any number of issues could have been handled better. I just hope, like many of us, that we can get back to football soon. That would be a welcome happy ending....

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
Me too, Bard.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[Linked Image from media1.giphy.com]

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg

Are you talking about Cowherd, Baker, or both?

You know damn well Bard was talking about Cowherd, Vers. You're better than that. You're taking the cheap shot now, Baker doesn't deserve your HATE.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/20/22 09:50 PM.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Browns reportedly to blame for holdup on Baker Mayfield trade

by John Buhler20 seconds ago
link

The Cleveland Browns are the biggest reason why Baker Mayfield has not been traded just yet.

While Baker Mayfield remains a member of the Cleveland Browns for the time being, contractual issues are the biggest reason why he has not been traded thus far this offseason.

Jeff Howe of The Athletic reported that while teams like the Carolina Panthers and the Seattle Seahawks have not ruled acquiring Mayfield entirely, they will need the Browns to eat much of his fifth-year option salary for them to strike a deal with Cleveland. Howe added Carolina and Seattle are using their leverage to their advantage, with the Browns having to eat nearly $18 million of it.

The fact that Mayfield is coming off an injury-riddled season has slowed down his once robust trade market to not much more than a crawl entering the heart of the offseason.

Cleveland Browns are the biggest reason why Baker Mayfield has not been dealt
Where it stands now, Seattle seems to be comfortable in rolling with Drew Lock and Geno Smith under center. The same principle applies in Charlotte with Carolina having Sam Darnold under contract, as well as rookie quarterback Matt Corral coming out of Ole Miss. Is Mayfield a better quarterback than all four of them? Yes, but for the money, you can see why there is trepidation.

Cleveland has to understand that it will eat the bulk of Mayfield’s fifth-year option, no matter how things shake out. Teams like the Panthers or Seahawks are not going to want to spend more than a little over $1 million in base salary if they do not have to. When the Browns extended the fifth-year option, they knew this was a fully-guaranteed contract for 2022. They created this mess.

Ultimately, Cleveland will hold onto Mayfield for as long as the Browns believe they can get any compensation for him. Once that day no longer exists, the Browns may release him and eat all of that 2022 salary. If he signs somewhere else, the Browns can recoup some of that money, but they will not be getting any direct compensation by parting ways with Mayfield in such a manner.

It may be incredibly awkward, but the Browns are not in any hurry to trade Mayfield this summer.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's the Browns fault that teams don't want to pay Baker Mayfield less than an average salary for a qb? notallthere

B
Legend
Legend
B
It's the Browns fault that teams don't want to pay Baker Mayfield less than an average salary for a qb? notallthere

I do agree. If Baker was viewed at a top QB, teams would be making offers, leverage or not.

We just made an offer for a QB with some legal issues to be resolved, and we weren't the only team involved.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I do agree. If Baker was viewed at a top QB, teams would be making offers, leverage or not.

We just made an offer for a QB with some legal issues to be resolved, and we weren't the only team involved.

So then...Seattle thinks Wilson is done, Atlanta thinks Ryan is toast and Houston thinks Watson isn't good enough to make a difference. That circular logic makes no sense. Pretending that the moving of Baker isn't chock with multiple issues - including, but not limited to his ability - is disingenuous at best.

V
Legend
Legend
V
What? Teams were actually willing to trade for those guys and in the cases of Watson and Wilson, gave up a ton to acquire them.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
What? Teams were actually willing to trade for those guys and in the cases of Watson and Wilson, gave up a ton to acquire them.

And other teams were willing to discard the player(s)...and did so with no other viable QB on their roster(s). Drew Lock is a stud because another team traded for him? He's better than Wilson in the eyes of Seattle because that was the swap? That would be ridiculous to debate.

Picking ONE thing to beat the drum over is the issue...there are many things in play...hence the point of my post ^.

1 member likes this: mgh888
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum More Baker... the slow trek to the end

Link Copied to Clipboard