Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1943824 05/09/22 09:05 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The draft is over. We will most likely still sign a couple veteran players.

But for the most part we have our roster. Some players like UDFA may make the roster? Some draft picks may start or will play a role.

We have a number of players beginning their second season. And some others like DPJ who may become full time starters.

What player or players will become "surprise significant contributors"?

I am going select two one on offense and one on defense.

Grant Delpit. He missed a full season and then worked his way into playing. I will go back to when he was in the draft. IMO he was a top level prospect. 2019 Thorpe Award winner and three-year standout in a loaded LSU secondary.

Good coverage safety who uses his size (6'3") and length to disrupt routes and eliminate targets.
Has the size/speed profile to match up with tight ends or slot receivers and can shadow them throughout the route. 4.39 40 time.

Natural athlete with burst, balance and short-area quickness to effectively hang in coverage through transitions.
Easy mover who can backpedal, click-and-close or run in the open field.

Scheme-proof safety who can line up anywhere in the secondary. He is a perfect fit in the Woods scheme. He should be fully recovered and I believe is poised to have a great season.
=========================================================================================

On offense it is time for Njoku. Releasing Hooper opens the door. DW changes the scheme. The Chief has always had the talent. However, he was an incomplete player. He had to learn how to block and that took years. He is 25 and this is his 6th season.

Hooper took reps. Njoku was not a feature receiver. This should change with DW. David has length and hops. This season I am expecting plays for David. He is a mismatch against linebackers in the middle. Seam routes to the Chief should be 1st target plays. Red Zone. I never understood why he was not a red zone target more than he was. In condensed space he is 6'4" and can jump real high. He has to be an option in the red zone. On crossing patterns near the goal line he has the size to screen defenders. Proper ball placement and he is a defensive nightmare.

There are others that could also be a surprise. Return players or new ones. We want surprises that is a good thing. Who else?

V
Legend
Legend
V
Offense: I'm going to go w/Nick Harris here. In part, because we let Tretter walk. He was a huge part of our offensive success, so the Browns must feel Harris is ready. Additionally, while Harris does not have the measurables for the standard man-blocking scheme, remember that we utilize of the ZBS principles. That system doesn't rely on size and brute strength. Instead, it's all about movement, lateral agility, getting to the second level, intelligence, etc. Here is a brief overview from Larry Zierlein.

Worker-bee, center-only prospect who won't check many physical boxes but brings his grit to the fight on every snap. Harris' body type belies his impressive foot quickness and ability to make all the move blocks needed from his position. His ability to sustain both run and pass blocks speak to his consistency of effort and performance, but size, scheme and positional limitations could cause him to drop lower in the draft than his actual tape would dictate.

Defense:. AJ Green. Though he was an UDFA, Green is opening some eyes for his coverage ability. Consider this, while Green's Run Defense PFF Grade is low at 50.4, his Coverage grade is in the elite area at 90.3. His Overall PFF grade is very high at 86.2. I can see him getting a lot of usage when we deploy our Quarters Coverage package.

Those are my two "Surprise Players."

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Agree with Njoku. It's now or never for him with the Browns. If he can put it all together, it would be huge for us.

It would be a nice surprise if Jakeem Grant could give us the return game we've needed for so long. It's possible.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
There is a piece on Building the Browns where they talk to Harris. He knows he is being given the chance to start. He has to eat all the time to keep weight on. He has taken on the opportunity and has put in the work to get stronger.

That is a good choice. He should do well with pro bowl guards on each side.

Green has shown up for sure and guys like him who have often take the bit and run with it.

I almost went with Schwartz. The reason was I saw enough of his tape to believe in him. He had a big setback with a concussion. But he is a smart player who works hard. I think he can learn to harness his speed. He can catch the ball. Good coaching can help him and O'Shea is a good coach. It is a matter of educating his feet in small space to gain separation. He could be huge if he can take the big steps forward.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Njoku ... the grapes are ready for the harvest, the rough stone has been polished, time for the pigskin to fly ... Watson to Njoku ... TD! twain celebrating with the Chief jump & dunk ... he is always open, even when it looks like he is not.

Shaun Jolly ... the UDFA fills the shoes of the departed Troy Hill in the slot.

[Linked Image]

B
Legend
Legend
B
On the subject of Nick Harris, on Building the Browns, it went in to how Harris worked hard on campus all off season and has added 16 lbs of muscle to his frame, so he might not be as easy a push over as before.

Good job Nick. Sounds like a guy who wants to take the job and keep it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
Although I don't think it will happen, I would love for Anthony Schwartz or Dmetric Felton to surprise us by living up to expectations.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I am holding out hope for Schwartz. The main reason is Berry and the staff believe in him. He impressed the coaching staff with his work effort and intelligence. Schwartz has worked during the off season with Jarvis. I think the kid wants it.

Obviously he has world class speed. But if you watch his college tape. He catches the ball well. He tracks the ball well. He has the body frame and legs to learn how to gain separation. In the end it is all about getting open and catching the ball. He should be able to do that.

I feel good about the receivers.

M
Legend
Legend
M
DPJ. 6th round pick looked great in some games his rookie year, seemed to step backwards last year but he and the team suffered through injuries. . . think he will emerge as a real #2 & deep threat.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
T
Legend
Legend
T
As far as I'm concerned, David Njoku, Nick Harris, Grant Delpit and AJ Green are not surprise players, they've already contributed.
But Demetric Felton?

Here's the thing, Demetric Felton was about the top! Bottom, Middle, Left, and Right sides of the UCLA offense, He was like 70% of all the offense they had, SO!
He Comes To the Browns, and... the Browns give him the ball about 4 times all year. On offense, he gets a chance to have the ball in his hands about 4 times all year.
NOW! ONE Of those times, the Browns,,, just dumped it off to him, and-- he gets surrounded by about 3 defenders, and, next thing you know, He SHOOTS out away from those defenders and goes post haste to the end zone. The Browns didn't even appear to be ready to score a touchdown, like they were on the journey of taking 10 more plays to get there.

Now, IF the Browns could find it in their heart, to Give Demetric Felton the #**n Ball, I see no reason why I wouldn't expect him to be a significant contributor on the Browns offense for the season.

Njoku, Delpit and AJ Green are about as surprising as Deshaun Watson, Myles Garrett, JOK or Clowney, might as well be unlit birthday candles on a cake, Surprise I wonder if somebody is about to light a match. They already contribute, or are well in line to be in position to.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
ok

2 members like this: FL_Dawg, Versatile Dog
All Pro
All Pro
Jordan Elliott.

At least I would be surprised if he contributes smile

Possibly a little shocked even.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Elliott needs to show he can do something in the NFL.

He will either show he belongs or he will not make the roster. In some respects when he does plays I hardly notice him.

It would be nice to see something. The opportunity is there. But it will not be there long.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think Bell could be a surprise player if Watson isn't suspended. Watson does a great job of reading coverages and seeing tendencies. He's not elite like Brees was, but he's good at it. With Cooper drawing a lot of attention, I could see us running Combo routes w/Cooper and our slot guy [maybe Bell] and Watson making the right decisions. Unlike others, I love the Shannahan/Kubiak scheme and I think Stefanski is excellent at creating building blocks that are such an integral aspect of the Shannahan/Kubiak offense.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Camp and pre-season will be interesting.

DPJ and Bell have both been outside guys. KS likes versitility because if he has package in; he does not want to be predictable.

Although these guys are different. They may line them up at both positions just to see how they work. At this point it seems like Jarvis will not return.

So, showing you can play both may get you reps.

They have brought in a bunch of receivers. They like Bradley. Competition will settle what happens.

Bell looks very polished. He may come in and grab hold of a spot.

Legend
Legend
I love the Shannahan/Kubiak scheme and I think Stefanski is excellent at creating building blocks that are such an integral aspect of the Shannahan/Kubiak

Agreed. KS really surprised and impressed me during his first year. He had our players executing like they'd been in the system for years instead of weeks/months. He (and his staff) seems to be a good teacher, and the ShanBiak* system is a proven winner.

* "KubiShan?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Richard LeCounte. MJ Stewart's contributions to the secondary will be missed. Don't know if LeCounte can play the same role as Stewart but if he cannot, if he's reliable in some role it may allow another DB to move into Stewart's role in the secondary.

Isaiah Weston, WR. All of the traits are there. Can he level up to NFL competition? If that happens, no one sees it coming.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Weston has the measureables for sure.

Have to watch a guy like him and see how he plays.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Vers...one thing ZBS in the NFL you do need that Brute strength compared to yesteryears ZBS....the DL has gotten so big and fast and guys who can move laterally

Actually Harris (I agree with your prediction) worked very hard to get stronger. For example what put Teller over the top was his hard work to get stronger and he made himself who is today. Same thing with Nick he worked hard to get stronger and that is why he is starter material now. He is not who he was coming here. Much stronger. Same thing with the new kid Deaton (DD) he is a natural at ZBS but for the NFL he has to get stronger. In a couple of years he is the type of kid that if he works real hard and becomes a gym rat he could amount to something!

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
I remember when Nick Harris was drafted. That dude was supposedly custom-built for this offense. He's had 2 (?) years now to get up to speed in practice and limited reps on Sundays.

I normally hate letting guys (like Tretter) go for unproven young'ins... but in this case I'm pretty confident that he's shown coaches what he needs to show in order to make this move. Some would say he's being given the starting job... though I think that would be unfair given his time on the roster and his coming in as a backup.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
On D... Ivs seen a few flashes from Jacob Phillips that suggested he might become an excellent LB for us. In all honesty Walker was underwhelming, I'd love to see JOK and Phillips become a dynamic pairing for a few years.

Last edited by mgh888; 05/10/22 11:56 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by oobernoober
I remember when Nick Harris was drafted. That dude was supposedly custom-built for this offense. He's had 2 (?) years now to get up to speed in practice and limited reps on Sundays.

I normally hate letting guys (like Tretter) go for unproven young'ins... but in this case I'm pretty confident that he's shown coaches what he needs to show in order to make this move. Some would say he's being given the starting job... though I think that would be unfair given his time on the roster and his coming in as a backup.

You always take a risk by letting a Tretter go, but at his age and contract status, it's the right move. I think it always better letting a guy go maybe a year early over a year late.

Tretter was durable while here, but last year he was also showing signs of wearing out.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Chase Winovich - D.
Nick Harris - O.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
On the subject of Nick Harris, on Building the Browns, it went in to how Harris worked hard on campus all off season and has added 16 lbs of muscle to his frame, so he might not be as easy a push over as before.

Good job Nick. Sounds like a guy who wants to take the job and keep it.

[Linked Image from static.clubs.nfl.com]

Definitely doesn't look like he's been skipping leg day. Could just be the angle, but definitely looks like Harris has put in the work to change his body.

I'm going to go Johnny Stanton on O. Think he could sneak onto the 53 as TE3/FB and get a fair amount of work in the flats. It would probably be of the crash down on a block and leak out variety and leaking after playaction. Wonder if he could also see some of the gadget plays, as a former QB, now that Jarvis doesn't seem to be coming back.

On D, I'm thinking whoever ends up playing deep safety will probably be the biggest surprise. My first instinct was to go with LeCounte, but I think I'll throw out Nate Meadors instead. It'll be interesting to see how the secondary shakes out. JJIII in the robber role, Delpit moving around and blitzing, who's the 3rd safety playing deep? Also could end up one of the top two goes deep (or both) and we don't go 3 safeties as much after adding Emerson. Should be able to put a lot of speed on the field on defense if we can stay healthy. Hopefully, there will be lots of flustered QBs giving our secondary bad throws to take away.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

You always take a risk by letting a Tretter go, but at his age and contract status, it's the right move. I think it always better letting a guy go maybe a year early over a year late.

Tretter was durable while here, but last year he was also showing signs of wearing out.

Fact is, Nick Harris was "given" the Browns starting center job (for now) because he was not good enough to take the job away from Tretter. Tretter was smart, tough and durable and letting him walk might not have been a wise move by Berry.

It seems that the Browns realize they might have an issue with Harris starting at center...Berry also the signed FA Ethan Pocic, center from Seahawks (a 2nd rnd draft pick in 2017)...plus the Browns drafted another center, Dawson Deaton, Texas Tech.

A bit of a head scratcher as GM Berry now has 3 centers on the roster in an effort to replace the Browns best option at center, Tretter.

Last edited by mac; 05/11/22 09:23 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Offense: Jedrick Wills establishes himself

Defense: AJ Green

Side bet: JOK named to the Pro Bowl

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Offense: Jedrick Wills establishes himself

Defense: AJ Green

Side bet: JOK named to the Pro Bowl

That scenario would be welcome. 👍

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: Milk Man
E
Legend
Legend
E

oober - don't forget Tretter was a DNP for almost all our practices except for maybe the Friday walk throughs. So that means Harris was taking all the starter reps so we got a good look at him and he got a lot of tutorials from our coaches so I don't see him as that "unproven" rookie. I think last year he was tapped to step up as a starter for a game or two and he did very well much better than previous opportunities again he got stronger and every week showed his growth.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

1 member likes this: oobernoober
mac #1944327 05/12/22 10:47 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by mac

Fact is, Nick Harris was "given" the Browns starting center job (for now) because he was not good enough to take the job away from Tretter. Tretter was smart, tough and durable and letting him walk might not have been a wise move by Berry.

It seems that the Browns realize they might have an issue with Harris starting at center...Berry also the signed FA Ethan Pocic, center from Seahawks (a 2nd rnd draft pick in 2017)...plus the Browns drafted another center, Dawson Deaton, Texas Tech.

A bit of a head scratcher as GM Berry now has 3 centers on the roster in an effort to replace the Browns best option at center, Tretter.

Or Harris "earned" the job which is why they decided to let Tretter go. Pocic was signed as depth/insurance (as a 1yr, ~1M contract would indicate--not really starter money,) and Deaton is a late round developmental pick. Callahan must have seen traits he thought were worth developing in the rookie. You're not expecting 7th rounders to start right away. But Deaton may hopefully be the primary backup next year with starter potential down the road (If he doesn't beat out Pocic for the backup job this year.)

Tretter was making ~11M/season. Harris, Pocic, and Deaton will make less than 3M combined. When you have stars at certain positions getting paid high end starter money, you have to draft and develop players at other positions to make the cap work.

There could also have been a bit of the "New England" better a year too soon than a year too late thinking. Tretter's legs had been a mess they had had to manage with negligible practice time for a couple seasons. They think Harris is ready. We'll see.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
2 members like this: guard dawg, Versatile Dog
T
Legend
Legend
T
If the Browns wind up with/find a good slot Wr. and not at the expense of having nothing on the outsides, meaning, if someone stepped up and became a really good slot wr. that would be a good surprise.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
All Pro
All Pro
I'm a bit nervous about only having Cooper to attack every level. If he misses time...yuck.

Yeah, DPJ is good intermediate to deep...
Schwartz is a hail mary/trick play only guy...
I like Bell, Grant and a splash of Felton out of the slot, but...

dang our WR corps is pretty roll specific.

Here's hoping for a camp surprise between what...Woods, Weston and Bradley??

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The guy I would like to be a surprise is Anthony Schwartz.

The Browns coaching staff has backed him all the way. It appears they really believe in him. In numerous press conferences I have heard support for him siting his intelligence, work ethic, and skill.

We know he has world class speed. I have seen nothing so far that says he has bad hands. I have watched him in drills and he catches the ball well.

He was hurt by missing time last year with a concussion. He has a great opportunity coming to camp to seize a job and get playing time.

Cooper is the lead man. DPJ is second. Bell will get the opportunity to play the slot.

Schwartz can be the vertical deep threat.

However, if all you show is straight line speed it will be hard to beat zone or off man. They will sit on deep routes. You have to show you can do more.

You have to make back shoulder and dig routes. You have to show you will break off and be a threat in other parts of the field. Teams study your route tree. You gotta show double moves. But if all you show is that and break deep. Corners will not bite. If they see they can hand fight you and hold you up. They will.

Schwartz has to learn to sink his hips and cut. Gain space early. You can see he can be quick and should be a guy who can separate.

I am sure Chad O'Shea was tasked with coaching Schwartz up. He was a third rounder. They knew he would need to be developed.

He should come into camp hungry. He has a chance to really help himself and the team.

So, I am hoping he is a "Surprise."

E
Legend
Legend
E
I think Bell is going to be the surprise player. Him and DPJ will have great results as teams will be looking to stop our run and/or Cooper. Our opponents will be saying OK beat us with Bell and DPJ we will look to take away the run and Cooper....The 2 young WRs will come through and prosper.

Just a guess.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1948222 06/02/22 12:30 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Until a decision is made regarding if DW plays.

How the offense will work is in question. Brissett will not play quarterback like DW will. So, what we do and who is used is in question.

My hope is a decision is imminent.

Bell will no doubt be given a clear shot to make an impact.

E
Legend
Legend
E
The play book is pretty thick...regardless of the QB the offense won't change there might not be RPOs done similar, I think Brissett can make all the throws just not as accurate and his release is not as fast as DW probably we would like to establish the run of course but I think the game plan will not change too much. Just portions of the playbook won't be utilized.

jmho

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Surprise Player

Link Copied to Clipboard