V
You're welcome, Bard. It took me a minute to figure it out, too. LOL

T
Legend
Legend
T
Browns receiver depth june otas. Or,
The 14th offensive player on the roster at cutdowns? Or,
What to do with Demetric Felton, or others.

So this is assuming the Browns special teams Kick returner position gets solidified by Jakeem Grant and Grant would fall in line as Wr #6, and ask the question what to do with Demetric Felton?
Breakdown: Kicker- kicker.
Returner- returner.
Wr 1. -Wr 1
Wr 2. Wr 2.
Wr 3. Wr 3. As Cooper, DPJ and Bell in some order.
The focus begins on only probably keeping 5 Wrs on opening day not named Grant/Kr/WR6. The Focus on spots #4, and #5 at Wr.

Then: Demetric Felton is a Rb, or Wr. so. At this point, hearing little negatives on Rb Ford, it can be assumed, well let's just go off the assumption Ford is penciled in to be a top 4 Rb.

The Browns usually keep 4 Rb's not 5. So I think we can put the Rb's breakdown at
Rb1. Rb1
Rb2. Rb2
Rb 3. Ford
Rb4. (D'Ernest Johnson or Demetric Felton.) ...
Though I haven't spelled it out correctly, I figure it's a 4 man race for the final 2 spots on the roster at RB/WR.

A 4 man race between D'Ernest Johnson, Jamarcus Bradley, Demetric Felton, and Michael Woods II.

Factors. X. Who is the best pass protector/ offensive blocker/ of the 4.
X. Who is the most needed on special teams
X. Which would most likely be able to be stashed on the Practice Squad>
X. And this one is important, Which one would most likely, be the least desireable to see go somewhere else and have them play well on a different team?

Then,again, What to do with Demetric Felton? How can this 4 man race become a 2 man race?

D'Ernest Johnson, Demetric Felton, Michael Woods II and Jamrcus Bradley, keep only 2. They don't all do the same things.

Demetric Felton and D'Ernest Johnson do 2 opposite sides of a coin, Johnson is a run into the OL runner, and Felton is Not that as his most effective skill, (with Demetric Felton, his worst strength would be running up the middle.
And if D'Ernest Johnson his worst strength would be catching as a wr out of the backfield, )

Michael Woods II is a wideout, not a Rb, and so is Jamarcus Bradley, now, we have a known set of time put in in the NFL for Jamarcus Bradley, and imo he hasn't shown very good plays so far. Jamarcus Bradley, it is known, was on the PS/? at times during past seasons and no teams poached him away.
However, Michael Woods II, being such a late round draft pick has no guarantee to even sniff a roster spot.

4 players for 2 spots?
If we are still assuming that the team likes Jerome Ford, what role do they like him for? He gives you a lot of what D'Ernest Johnson did, Ford is a straight up Rb, and so is Johnson, while Demetric Felton is a, an outside runner, or a wr that lines up at rb, or a straigt up WR.

So if you have Ford, as #3 Rb, then even in cases where D'Ernest Johnson started and won 2 games as a primary Rb in 2021 for the Browns where both Kareem Hunt and Nick Chubb were out, .. if you have Ford, then,
the need for D'Ernest Johnsons' skill set opposed to Demetric Feltons skill set is lessoned.
i.e. the team is not likely to go to a game hard up for Felton to be an every down back that runs up the middle, his worst strength
because Ford is now added to the equation.

So, What to do with Demetric Felton, ( who I feel is a big contributor waiting for touches)

Next, We could say that Jamarcus Bradey, and Michael Woods II, are fighting for only one spot, and that Jamarcus Bradley is stashable on the PS, and unless Bradley proves a better player than Woods, that Woods likely takes Bradleys' spot? or Woods doesn't make the team, and may be sent to the PS.?

So then we could say it's a 3 man race for 2 spots... Unless, Demetric Felton Supersedes both Michael Woods II and Jamarcus Bradley?
So that ^ is a 3 man race for Wr #4. (excuse me #5 as Schwartz is #4?)

So, to answer for myself, what to do with Demetric Felton?
worst case, if the team attempts to put him on the PS, he won't last there he will end up on a different team. Full stop.

2. Felton has a chance to make the roster as WR #5 behind Schwartz, DPJ, Bell, and Amari Cooper, if Felton gets ahead of/ stays ahead of Jamarus Bradley and Michael Woods II.

Felton has a Chance to make the roster as Rb. #4. if the addition of Ford makes D'Ernest Johnsons' skill set tradable or stashable, I mean John Kelly wasn't poached last year.
or if Ford, as a rookie, doesn't do well enough to make the roster.

So, Assuming they cut Bradley, (Assuming if everyone is healthy, and he is only part time on the roster again)
It becomes a 3 man race for 2 roster spots between
Michael Woods II, Wr.
Demetric Felton, Wr/ Rb and
D'Ernest Johnson. Rb.

( Michael Woods II could take Anthony Schwartz' spot if Anthony Schwartz doesn't do well enough, and that would allow them to have a 2 man race for 2 roster spots and everyone would get to stay. )

All of this is still on the assumption that Jakeem Grant is far and away a boone at Kick Returner, because that's his reason, so, if Jakeem Grant fails miserably then he would be the player waived and this would be unnecessary.

If you begin to breakdown, Woods II, and Schwartz, and Grant, and Jamarcus Bradley, and DPJ, you begin to see, umm, Uh Oh,
You are ending up with 5 guys who don't do anything the other ones don't, and who don't do any more than what 2 of any of them (if better versions) couldn't do.
5 guys who might make a play once a month and work best against 3rd tier secondary coverage, and none of them can be relied on against top coverage.
At least Felton can line up and make catches out of the backfield, that is a different skill set, (well anyone can do but he has experience with).

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
How has the UDFA Weston looked at camp.....is he lost, or has he shown anything? Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Receiver depth

Link Copied to Clipboard