M
As a believer in Njoku, I like this.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man

I'm a Njoku believer too but that's quite the contract. The FO and Stefanski must REALLY like his upside......and I do too.

So it says he is averaging $14MM+ a year and gets $28MM guaranteed so it looks like on the surface it might just be a two year deal if this thing flops the team can bow out?? Clearly they felt more comfortable with Njoku at this amount that Hooper at his.

Curious to see the contract breakdown.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
148 catches in 5-years nets Njoku 56.75 million for 4-years. To think people complained about Hoopers deal and now the Browns are paying 14.75M more for the lessor productive of the two. I sure hope he gets a hell of a lot better, averaging 14.1875M per year for less than 30 catches is questionable in any FO's book except Cleveland.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
2 members like this: 3rd_and_20, chet the jet
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by Milk Man

I'm a Njoku believer too but that's quite the contract. The FO and Stefanski must REALLY like his upside......and I do too.

So it says he is averaging $14MM+ a year and gets $28MM guaranteed so it looks like on the surface it might just be a two year deal if this thing flops the team can bow out?? Clearly they felt more comfortable with Njoku at this amount that Hooper at his.

Curious to see the contract breakdown.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: Milk Man
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That is a lot of money for a S L O W footed TE who can barely catch passes.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by SuperBrown

Njoku is not considered slow footed by any standard for TEs

#gmstrong
3 members like this: guard dawg, MemphisBrownie, Versatile Dog
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Torn in the amount but glad they kept him, hope he breaks out this year.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Pdawg

I notice you didn't address the second part of that! rofl

1 member likes this: 3rd_and_20
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Njoku will be given the opportunity be the #1 and shine in this offense. Looking forward to seeing him in that role with Watson throwing him the ball. He's improved all around every year.

I think Stefanski will have Njoku flexed out more this year.

2 members like this: AZBrown, MemphisBrownie
Legend
Legend
It ain't my money......but that's a lot of cash.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FrankZ

I will. Njoku's hands have improved every year to the point that I would call him "sure-handed" and not blink.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
Catchable rate of 68%in 2021.

True catchable rate of 84% in 2021- this comes from one of many sites that try to get catch rates based on the real opportunities to catch a ball as the general catch rate is simply targets and receptions.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Njoku 40 time is 4.64. Travis Kelce 4.61.

He is 25 with a lot of experience. He is in his prime and is now a complete TE.

He will be playing with a qb who likes to use a TE.

Berry pays fair market value. He knows what Njoku would have gotten.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by FrankZ

I will. Njoku's hands have improved every year to the point that I would call him "sure-handed" and not blink.

I'm ever the optimist with him, so I sure hope he fills into the contract and makes it look like a steal.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I think DW will make our offense and receivers much better including Njoku. I think Andrew Berry sees this and that is why Njoku got the contract he did.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Another big bet that hinges on Watson actually playing. If Watson gets tossed for the year or longer, it’s a bad bet, if Watson gets the 6-8 games Browns fans are hoping for, it’s potentially a good bet.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Did you not see his touchdown catch in the Chargers game last year? My grandmother could have outrun him!

M
Legend
Legend
M
I think you used the key word here which is a problem for a veteran of the NFL like Njoku.... we are still talkin about "Potential". Njoku undoubtedly has the potential. He's been way shot of of earning the contract he just signed. I would think there's as much chance of him living up to that contract as he does of falling short. I think he's improved the last 2 seasons ... hoping he can take that final step and be the player he has flashed - but instead of disappearing for multiple game stretches, I hope he's "Thant Guy" every game.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by mgh888
I think you used the key word here which is a problem for a veteran of the NFL like Njoku.... we are still talkin about "Potential".

As my h.s. coach told us: If people say you have potential it simply means you haven't done it yet.

2 members like this: Hammer, mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'd say that describes njoku to a tee

Last edited by mgh888; 05/27/22 08:28 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Did you not see his touchdown catch in the Chargers game last year? My grandmother could have outrun him!

Sounds like grandma needs to enter the National Senior Games with that speed! Surefire winner.

https://nsga.com/howtoqualify/

O
Legend
Legend
O
He really just started coming into his own the last two years but really has yet to dominate, so that's a very NJOKU friendly contract if you ask me. They must expect a huge increase in the cap the next few years. Spending like they got it.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Originally Posted by mgh888
I think you used the key word here which is a problem for a veteran of the NFL like Njoku.... we are still talkin about "Potential".

As my h.s. coach told us: If people say you have potential it simply means you haven't done it yet.

I agree, so many have been told you have the potential, yet aren't playing . Because the coach was wrong.

Legend
Legend
chiiiiiiefffffff!!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[Linked Image from thumbs.dreamstime.com]

"I'm faster that that Najookoo fella!"

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
J/C I think this is a good Re-sign. We, as fans have hated in the past when we have allowed players to leave and they have thrived elsewhere ie(M Schwartz, J Poyer etc). Njoku seems as if he has been here quite a while but he is still only 25!!! I believe he was the youngest player in that draft. I think some fans see the money and think WOW thats a lot for him, However QB play, Multiple coordinators and all the other Browns crap did affect him too. He absolutely struggled with blocking and some focus drops early in his career but in the last 2 he has been outstanding to the point where we just sent Austin Hooper packing (how about that waste of $). David has grown up and I think his best football is in front of him. To re-sign a guy we drafted is another Team builder, "if you perform we pay" is huge among the players. 2 years from now his contract will look average, a lot of good young TE's out there and more coming in this years draft

2 members like this: AZBrown, FATE
Legend
Legend
I wonder if this lowers his cap hit for this year

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Njoku averaged 2.8 targets a game over the past 2 yrs. I hope he gets more than that this season.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c...

3 members like this: FL_Dawg, GratefulDawg, jfanent
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Dude better put up some impressive numbers and make a few Pro Bowls with that kind of scratch.

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Two years $28 million for Njoku isn’t horrible. I’d rather have let him play on the franchise tag but the team must believe in him.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by DaveyD
Dude better put up some impressive numbers and make a few Pro Bowls with that kind of scratch.

One PB would be terrific. I’m thinking he has to catch 50 balls, minimum, a few TDs that help us win, and block hard to earn his money.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Njoku is one of the most overrated players in Browns history. That is a big commitment to a guy who hasn't done anything to earn that contract.

Hooper may not have played well here, but at least he had a history of production. Harrison Bryant is better than Joke. I hope we don't forget about him while we try to force feed the ball to Joke in an effort to justify the signing.

I hope it works out. Berry lost a little bit of shine in my eyes, but nothing that can't be polished again if Joke plays well.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Market value is changing. Prices will go up.

Njoku is only 25. He came into the league very young. It took him till now to add man strength and be a reliable blocker.

He has never gotten a lot of targets. He will be playing with a much different quarterback. Hooper is gone and Njoku and Bryant will get more targets.

The cap will increase. Next year and in the following years Njoku's deal will look very good.

If he was let go as a FA. Who were we going to get that is his age with his experience?

He will earn his money.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
DN is a special player with mad skills that haven't been used well to date, the Browns brass who watch film know this and paid accordingly. Fans aren't likely to see these things the Brass and staff has.

I thought last year he would really light it up and he did when the ball came his way. I look for him to be huge going forward.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
3 members like this: Ballpeen, Homewood Dog, bonefish
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by bonefish
Market value is changing. Prices will go up.

Njoku is only 25. He came into the league very young. It took him till now to add man strength and be a reliable blocker.

He has never gotten a lot of targets. He will be playing with a much different quarterback. Hooper is gone and Njoku and Bryant will get more targets.

The cap will increase. Next year and in the following years Njoku's deal will look very good.

If he was let go as a FA. Who were we going to get that is his age with his experience?

He will earn his money.

I understand the prices are going up. If it turns out that Joke is in a middling contract for a TE, cool. At least that is closer to what he has done thus far.

Like I said, I hope I am wrong. I really do.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Njoku is one of the most overrated players in Browns history. That is a big commitment to a guy who hasn't done anything to earn that contract.

Hooper may not have played well here, but at least he had a history of production. Harrison Bryant is better than Joke. I hope we don't forget about him while we try to force feed the ball to Joke in an effort to justify the signing.

I hope it works out. Berry lost a little bit of shine in my eyes, but nothing that can't be polished again if Joke plays well.

Hooper had a history of high targets on a team that had opponents focused on Julio Jones.

Last season, Hooper had 61 targets for 345 yards and 3 TDs.
Last season, Njoku had 53 targets for 475 yards and 4 TDs.

Njoku isn't the most overrated player in Browns history. He has been poorly utilized or at least utilized in a limited fashion. In the one year we did target Njoku consistently, he had similar production to Hooper, who made his 1st pro bowl that season. Hooper did it with Matt Ryan. Njoku did it with Tyrod Taylor and rookie Baker. Teams weren't particularly worried about getting beat deep by Jarvis Landry, Callaway, Perriman, and Higgins.

What happens in games is really only a small fraction of what guys do to earn their contracts. Njoku has put in the work (which is what this FO/Coaching staff preach) and outperformed a two-time pro bowl TE despite fewer opportunities. His time is now. Here's to him proving Berry right. You want to pay for future production rather than past when putting together contracts. We'll see how good Berry's powers of prediction are.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
Legend
B
At least he isn't talking about wanting a trade.

We will find out if he is just a guy or is a legit TE. I hope you and many others are right.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
Kevin Stefanski will have no excuses this year

Every time Stefanski works a play that has thrown to Harrison Bryant over the last 2 years, it ends up a play where the Browns did not get the ball into one of their superstars hands.

Marty Schottenheimer had no trouble, (on offense), getting the ball into his superstars' hands.
Jerry Glanville did not either. Surely dozens of other coaches could get the ball into their superstars hands on offense, And I'm not talking about a one yard pass, or a zero yard pass, or an end around hand off.

Every Time Harrison Bryant has been targeted over the past 2 years, The Browns had ONE Play, where they did not aim the ball into one of their superstars hands. Every time Harrison Bryant was targeted was a time that they did not target one of their others, like Hooper, or OBJ, or Jarvis, or Chubb, or Kareem Hunt, or Higgins, or even Njoku.

Now, if one of these posts above^ said that Njoku averaged 2.5 targets per game over the last 2 years. THEN WHOSE FAULT IS THAT? I'm looking at Stefanski?
Nobody yet has said who the buck stops with on this offense, when I've asked. Who is responsible for this Browns offense, what coach? or Who?

If These Browns, Can't get the ball to anybody but Harrison Bryant, and some back up Fullback, in crunch times' on critical downs in games,
Then somebody is going to have to take responsibility, eventually
It's not like they have a bunch of Stephen Carlsons' on the other side, you have Stars on your team, USE THEM.

When these wheels fall off in 2022 and don't turn we all know right back where we'll be, with a (can't leave their hands off of it) ownership, we'll be right back at s'uare one in I2 months with a New Coach and a new line of make believe.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
1 member likes this: tastybrownies
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Extend David Njoku

Link Copied to Clipboard