Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
You didn't answer the question except with "your definition of a company town"- NAME a few and the companies involved- would the towns/cities??? really be better off without the tax breaks- I'd like your FACTS- old school- best job you've got is the one you have- then look for something better. You're talking rural Tennessee- what's new there- TVA transformed the whole area somewhat. If there are no jobs then people need to MOVE- JMHO, Americans quick to bitch about illegal immigrants, but lots sit on their butts and take the welfare? How many Tennesseans have walked out of Tennessee to find work? And learned a new language to be able to work. I don't believe your company town premise.....NOR will Watson pick the new head coach.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
P
Legend
Legend
P
It happens in rural America all over the nation. Everyone knows it. The fact you don't know it or see it speaks volumes. People are flocking to Tennessee for work in my area. But then I didn't decide to live in Podunk.

He won't pick the next HC? Then maybe he'll just throw a tantrum and demand a trade like he did in Houston.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/gap-cuts-500-corporate-jobs-6001218/

Gap is cutting 500 corporate jobs, or about 5% of positions at headquarter locations such as New York and San Francisco. The retailer, which also owns Banana Republic and Athleta, swung to a loss of $49 million in the latest quarter, from profit of $258 million a year earlier, as consumers turned attention away from apparel and other goods to traveling and dining out. The cuts are unrelated to the Yeezy Gap partnership, The Wall Street Journal reported, and that label won’t disappear right away.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Legend
Legend
so white collar works getting downsized.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/job-openings-plunge-most-since-2020-5461756/

Job openings plunge most since 2020

By Cate Chapman, Editor at LinkedIn News
Updated 5 hours ago

Job openings plummeted by more than a million in August, the biggest one-month drop since the pandemic hit the U.S. economy with full force in April 2020. In a sign that the super-hot job market may be cooling, available positions fell 10% from July to 10.1 million, Labor Department data show. There are now 1.7 open jobs for every available worker, down from two jobs in July. That drop might be welcomed by the Federal Reserve, which argues the tight labor market has pushed wages higher and fueled inflation, forcing it to hike interest rates.

Friday’s monthly jobs report is expected to show employers adding 265,000 to payrolls in September, according to Bloomberg.

Legend
Legend
Took a walk through the mall. 80% of the stores had “We’re hiring” signs out front. I’m pretty sure those who want a job have a job. And those few who get laid off will have no problem finding work somewhere if they want the work. Actually I believe this thread was just an attempt to shine a poor light on the Biden administration. You know, while most countries in the free world are trying to reel their inflation as well.

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

George Washington
P
Legend
Legend
P
Added jobs are expected to be 265k for September yet according to some that means the sky is falling. Looking back on this thread that's the same thing he's been saying for months. The echo's have all proven to be wrong.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think our economy is evolving into something different in the age of nobody cares.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/job-growth-slows-as-fed-mulls-hike-6032418/

Job growth slows as Fed mulls hike

Updated 10 minutes ago

The U.S. economy added 263,000 jobs in September, the fewest since April, while the unemployment rate slipped 0.2 percentage points, to a half-century low of 3.5%. The mixed signals on the strength of the labor market suggest that the steepest interest-rate increases in 40 years haven't yet cooled wage growth, which the Federal Reserve has said is fueling rapid inflation. Hourly wages continued to climb last month above the pre-pandemic norm, as the labor force participation rate narrowed slightly, the Labor Department report showed.

The Fed next meets to set interest rates on Nov. 2.
Major stock indexes fell, with the S&P 500 sliding 2.2%, as investors bet the report would not dissuade the central bank from raising rates further.

*The labor force participation rate, unfortunately, decreased to 62.3%.
*Expect more inflation and more rate hikes as many are saying Fed plan to hike rates by 0.75% in November followed by a further 0.50% in December.

O
Legend
Legend
O
The U.S. economy added 263,000 jobs in September, the fewest since April, while the unemployment rate slipped 0.2 percentage points, to a half-century low of 3.5%.

GOOD JOB JOE!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
The U.S. economy added 263,000 jobs in September, the fewest since April, while the unemployment rate slipped 0.2 percentage points, to a half-century low of 3.5%.

GOOD JOB JOE!

GOPers going fingerscrossed fingerscrossed fingerscrossed hoping the economy fails under Biden. I tell u this is bat s crazy.

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

George Washington
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/philips-to-cut-4000-jobs-5027433/

Philips to cut 4,000 jobs

Updated 5 hours ago

Dutch technology giant Philips plans to slash 4,000 jobs, with cuts centered in the U.S. and the Netherlands, the company announced Monday. Sales at Philips have fallen for five straight quarters, with the company recording a loss of $1.3 billion in the third quarter, down from a profit of $3 billion in the same period last year. That loss was largely due to a massive recall of ventilators used to treat sleep apnea, over concerns that foam inside the machines could be toxic. The planned layoffs cover about 5% of Philips workforce.

New chief executive Roy Jakobs, who was promoted to the top job earlier this month, told Reuters that the company needs to work its “cost base to stay competitive.”

Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/cerebral-to-trim-20-of-staff-5471108/
Cerebral to trim 20% of staff

By Jake Perez, Editor at LinkedIn News
Updated 3 hours ago

Mental health startup Cerebral is restructuring, laying off 20% of staff in its latest round of cuts, as the wider health tech industry struggles to readjust from a pandemic boom. CEO David Mou announced the cuts in a memo to staff, reports The Wall Street Journal, and they follow previous layoffs over the summer, which impacted some nurse practitioners, contract workers and support staff. Cerebral and therapy tech rivals Headway, BetterHelp and Talkspace are enduring staffing changes — and increased scrutiny — as they try to weather the economic downturn.

Amazon is shutting down its telehealth unit, Amazon Care, at the end of the year.
Digital health coaching platform Noom, mediation app Calm and digital pharmacy Truepill are among the telehealth companies that have recently slashed jobs.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Covid created new industries and increased others, and anyone in those industries should have seen and known it was a short term boost.

Remote work showed some workers can be more productive in a less distractive environment, which led to more productivity from premium workers, and less from the slackers. Remote work helped identify these differences, and many companies started to trim their workforce.

I have 4 friends who's companies did this exact thing. 3 of them are at good "family" owned companies (2 at the same company), and some of the payroll saving got passed down to them in the form of substantial rases and better benefits and perks. The 1 that it didn't was from a smaller company so the savings wasn't as much and they had just promoted her and gave her a raise like 3 months before covid.

Many large corporations got additional savings by cutting physical office space costs.

What I think will be interesting in the next few years is how many abandoned buildings/offices will there be in the large cities where many of these companies existed.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/meta-preps-large-scale-layoff-wsj-5488444/

Meta preps 'large-scale' layoff: WSJ

By Jake Perez, Editor at LinkedIn News
Updated 4 hours ago

Facebook parent Meta is said to be readying its first-ever "large-scale" layoff this week, according to The Wall Street Journal and The Washington Post, who cited a memo posted to the company’s internal message board. The announcement of the staff cuts, which The Wall Street Journal says could happen Wednesday, is expected to affect "many thousands" of its 87,000 total workforce, and could be the largest headcount reduction at a tech company during the downturn.

P
Legend
Legend
P
While over 250k jobs were created last month.....

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Facebook and Twitter jobs lol. Useless jobs. They need to find real work in society instead of catering to tv personalities, politicians, and celebrities spewing bs. If only the remaining employee’s can see the future. Keep them until the political mud slinging election cycle is over, then cut em loose. Follow the money. No political ads, loss of income.

George Washington
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/salesforce-latest-to-confirm-layoffs-6059290/

Salesforce latest to confirm layoffs

By Andrew Murfett, Editor at LinkedIn News
Updated 5 hours ago

Salesforce on Tuesday confirmed that it has laid off some staff, with CNBC reporting that "less than 1,000 people" have been let go. Up to 2,500 employees could eventually be affected by the job cuts, Protocol reports, adding that staff with "performance issues" would be specifically targeted. The software giant is seeking to slash costs amid a "new activist investor challenge and harsh economic conditions," Protocol notes.

Salesforce employs more than 73,000 people and has grown its headcount by 36% over the past year, according to a recent filing.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Salesforce employs more than 73,000 people and has grown its headcount by 36% over the past year, according to a recent filing.

That would seem to be the problem, to me.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
The X or Y or whatever generation we are up too....they don't have the work ethic older generations had....they KNOW their are fewer of them and can get a job most places IF they qualify. Completely different environment than in 50s/60s. Damn glad we don't have a Vietnam, Korea, Afgan, Iraq going on right now. If you want to work, you can work, just maybe not your DREAM job.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by hitt
The X or Y or whatever generation we are up too....they don't have the work ethic older generations had....they KNOW their are fewer of them and can get a job most places IF they qualify. Completely different environment than in 50s/60s. Damn glad we don't have a Vietnam, Korea, Afgan, Iraq going on right now. If you want to work, you can work, just maybe not your DREAM job.

oh boy here we go!! back in my day we went to war at the age of 14 and didn't complain!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by hitt

BS.

We millennials came of age during the two longest wars in American history. Who do you think fought on the front lines of those wars?

Keep in mind that our generation didn’t grow up with generous pensions either. Also, we weren’t the ones who turned this country from the largest creditor in the world to the largest debtor. We didn’t have cheap college education.

I graduated law school in 2009, during the greatest financial fiasco since the Great Depression. That’s the job market I entered. I clawed for an associate position that underpaid, where I was treated like garbage. I did move into something that became my dream job. I own a house, have kids, and contribute to society just like most on here.

What has shifted is our priorities. It’s true that we value our time more than money itself. That gets chalked up to work ethic I suppose, but I wouldn’t trade the fact that I can support my family, coach basketball and be a present dad and husband for anything.

The narrative you promote is inaccurate.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree with you that what he said was BS. But I think one has to expect that. It's a historical pattern. Each generation feels the language, music, work ethic, fads and almost everything about the newest generation will destroy the world as they know it. I'm in my 60's but can remember when people were saying that kids gyrating their hips would send them to hell. That R&R music would destroy this country. My time as a teenager through young adulthood was during the 70's. Do you have any idea what they said about kids of the 60's and 70's? The counterculture. Vietnam war protests. Drugs. My generation was going to send America straight to hell!

rofl

To be honest with you I'm not all that different to the generations before me in some respects. When it comes to the past 20-30 years I don't get their music. I don't get their slang. I most certainly don't get what they tend to call fashion!

The biggest difference I think between myself and many from my generation is that I know I'm not supposed to get it. It's "their thing". Just like it was for me in the 70's. Each generation feels the need to make their own statement as to who they are and it will continue that way long after I'm gone. But just because I don't understand any of that, that doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Just like my generation the net result won't be that they are less or that they are going to destroy this country any more than my generation did.

On at least some levels I have respect for them. I don't blame anyone who is unwilling to full time and not being able to make a living. I'm not talking about getting rich, but just being able to pay rent and live at least a somewhat normal life. They're smart enough to understand that huge corporations are setting record profits while paying below poverty wages and they aren't going to stand for it. Good for them! If people want to know why they all think they need to go to college, it's because that's what they have been taught by their parents.

This nation will do fine as long as the politicians don't destroy us from within. And if anyone keeps spewing the same old, tired rhetoric that is the same as every prior generation has spewed, history dictates they're wrong as hell.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's a completely fair assessment.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/latest-layoffs-companies-making-cuts-5040713/
here are the numbers:

Tech giant Meta, Facebook's parent company, is laying off more than 11,000 employees, or 13% of its 87,000-strong workforce.

Real-estate platform Redfin laid off 13% of its workforce – 862 people, according to CNN – and shut down its home-flipping unit. It's the second round of layoffs for the company since June.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Check this site out SB.

https://layoffs.fyi/

1 member likes this: superbowldogg
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/hp-will-cut-up-to-6000-workers-5499012/

HP will cut up to 6,000 workers

By Saundra Latham, Editor at LinkedIn News
Updated 3 hours ago

HP says it will eliminate 4,000 to 6,000 jobs — roughly 12% of its workforce — through the end of 2025, the latest in a wave of layoffs that has hit the tech industry. The computer maker projects that the cuts will save an annualized US$1.4 billion in that time period. Executives say a pullback in demand for personal computers continues to pressure HP's bottom line, and they aren't optimistic that will change in 2023. HP expects earnings of $3.20 to $3.60 cents a share in fiscal 2023, well below analysts' expectations of $3.62 per share.

Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
After Goldman changed their position on there being a recession in 2023...

https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/goldman-could-cut-up-to-4000-jobs-6118402/
Goldman could cut up to 4,000 jobs

By Saundra Latham, Editor at LinkedIn News

Up to 4,000 Goldman Sachs employees could lose their jobs in the new year as the investment bank seeks to slash expenses, several media outlets report, citing anonymous sources. While the ultimate number could be smaller, the firm is targeting up to 8% of its workforce, and managers have been asked to identify candidates for layoffs, according to Semafor. Goldman's headcount recently hit 49,000 — up by roughly a third in four years — just as the bank confronted a major slowdown in dealmaking and fundraising.

CEO David Solomon acknowledged "headwinds on our expense lines" during a conference last week. “We’ve set in motion certain expense-mitigation plans, but it will take some time to realize the benefits.”
Goldman had already planned to pull back on bonuses and cut 400 jobs in its retail banking division, Bloomberg reported earlier this week.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Where does it say Goldman Sachs changed its position on a looming recession? It doesn't. It's only speaking about some layoffs concerning the company. I don't think this says what you think it says.

After Goldman changed their position on there being a recession in 2023...

There's nothing in your link that states this at all.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Chicken little makes up stuff to further a false narrative. The sky is falling ……. again. That’s what Chicken Little does.

George Washington
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/micron-to-cut-10-of-workforce-5083209/

Micron to cut 10% of workforce

Updated 6 hours ago

Micron said it plans to cut 10% of its workforce, or about 4,800 jobs, over the next year in response to lackluster demand for computer components. The largest U.S. maker of memory chips said it was also suspending bonuses for 2023. Micron has forecast a loss of 62 cents a share in its current quarter, compared to a 29-cent loss expected by analysts. Demand for semiconductors has whipsawed over the past three years, soaring early in the pandemic and then falling as inflation and economic uncertainty crimped sales of electronic devices.

Legend
Legend
Economy Watch: Retail Sales Better Than Expected in December

https://www.multihousingnews.com/economy-watch-retail-sales-better-than-expected-in-december/

The Census Bureau reported on Tuesday that U.S. retail sales were up 0.5 percent from November to December (important note: the figures are adjusted for seasonal variation, but not price changes). Year-over-year, the retail sales increase in December was 4.7 percent. In other words, consumers collectively said, “What me Worry?” about the fiscal cliff.

Take autos out of the equation, and the increase for the month was 0.3 percent. Take gasoline out of the equation, and the annual increase for retail sales was 5.1 percent. However one slices it, the new numbers suggest that early, relatively glum assessments of retail sales for the holidays missed the mark.

Most categories of retailers enjoyed some kind of bounce during December. Car sales were up 1.8 percent, and shoppers were out buying enough clothes to support a 1 percent monthly increase. Restaurants and bars also enjoyed a 1 percent monthly uptick in sales. By contrast, electronics retailers lost ground, with a 0.6 percent monthly drop in sales, perhaps indicating that there are only so many iPhone 5s people are willing to buy.

Home prices continue upward

George Washington
Legend
Legend
That would all be great if we were still living in 2013.

How are time machine sales??

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: FrankZ
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
That would all be great if we were still living in 2013.

How are time machine sales??

rofl Now we'll hear how it's Trump's fault that the article is so old. From the old eyeball test, the parking lots at all of the local shopping centers here are nowhere near as full as they usually are during the holidays, and there aren't the usual long arse lines at the registers the few times I've gone shopping. I really try to avoid it this time of year.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Same here. We had that "one last outing" planned for Friday until the weather reports came in. Had to go out yesterday. Busy, but nothing like I expected. Especially since a lot of shopping is getting compressed due to the storm.

Legend
Legend
"Trump's fault that the article is so old."

Sadly, that's not even a stretch. Only need two degrees of Trump for this one.

Trump sold condos and rented apartments.
Article is from multihousingnews.com

Voila -- Trump's fault

Legend
Legend
Alright lol I posted the wrong article.

This is a article that reflects what I was looking for.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-retail-sales-beat-expectations-october-2022-11-16/

WASHINGTON, Nov 16 (Reuters) - U.S. retail sales increased more than expected in October as households stepped up purchases of motor vehicles and a range of other goods, suggesting consumer spending picked up early in the fourth quarter, which could help to support the economy.

The solid retail sales reported by the Commerce Department on Wednesday and signs of a slowdown in inflation raised cautious optimism the economy could avoid an anticipated recession next year or experience only a mild downturn.

George Washington
Hall of Famer
OP Online
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
Alright lol I posted the wrong article.

This is a article that reflects what I was looking for.

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/us-retail-sales-beat-expectations-october-2022-11-16/

WASHINGTON, Nov 16 (Reuters) - U.S. retail sales increased more than expected in October as households stepped up purchases of motor vehicles and a range of other goods, suggesting consumer spending picked up early in the fourth quarter, which could help to support the economy.

The solid retail sales reported by the Commerce Department on Wednesday and signs of a slowdown in inflation raised cautious optimism the economy could avoid an anticipated recession next year or experience only a mild downturn.

reality:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/15/ret...sumers-feel-pressure-from-inflation.html
Retail sales fell 0.6% in November as consumers feel the pressure from inflation

P
Legend
Legend
P
So only "your reality" can be right? We've been hearing that for a while now.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
There is a large recession lobby in Washington these days that seems to view a recession as a positive good for the economy and society. The basic story is that we have seen a big jump in inflation associated with the pandemic and the war in Ukraine. They argue that a recession will be needed to bring inflation back down to acceptable levels.

The logic is that the higher unemployment associated with a recession will force workers to take pay cuts. This will reduce inflationary pressures in the economy.

https://cepr.net/republicans-another-reason-a-recession-would-be-really-bad-news/

George Washington
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Are Mass Layoffs and Hiring Freezes Going to Start?

Link Copied to Clipboard