Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think Memphis was correct earlier in the thread. Bringing in Rosen isn't a big deal. Dude has failed in the NFL. Browns are protecting themselves because they don't know if Watson will be suspended or not. If he is, Brissett will be the starter and Rosen is competing w/Dobbs for 3rd string. Dobbs is a great guy to have on your team. Very bright guy, but you probably don't want him playing in a game.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I think Memphis was correct earlier in the thread. Bringing in Rosen isn't a big deal. Dude has failed in the NFL. Browns are protecting themselves because they don't know if Watson will be suspended or not. If he is, Brissett will be the starter and Rosen is competing w/Dobbs for 3rd string. Dobbs is a great guy to have on your team. Very bright guy, but you probably don't want him playing in a game.

I would amend that in a minor way. I am assuming Watson gets suspended, so to me they will be competing for 2nd string...at least in a short term view. If Watson is set free, I could see us cutting either Rosen or Dobbs the next day. Probably Rosen. I don't think he is a good 3rd QB candidate.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Agreed. I think Rosen would play in games before Dobbs, but once Watson is on the active roster, Dobbs has a better chance to stick. Just my opinion.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I read somewhere that both Brissett and Dobbs were brought in because the FO wanted QBs who could move well - not DW well, but well.. I always chuckled at that because I sure don't remember watching Brissett and thinking he was anywhere near mobile. Anyway...that philosophy makes the Rosen signing even more odd. I certainly don't remember Rosen being considered mobile.

I know the pickings are slim...but I'd rather have Mullins than Rosen...or Minshew as someone else noted earlier.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Some people have convinced themselves that signing Rosen isn't an indication of exactly what the Browns are expecting to hear in the Robinson decision shortly. They didn't sign him expecting a 4-6 game suspension. Good luck with that.

I think it comes down to what we think the FO thinks of Rosen. Does the FO see him as actual competition to Brissett? Aside the the obvious stuff, I just find it really odd they brought in a QB that's so different from Watson, Brissett and Dobbs.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I really don't think that was the deciding factor. No matter who your starter is a team needs what they see as a legitimate back up. If you now believe you will not have the starer you previously thought you would, you now need a new back up. It seems when they thought they had the QB they just signed to a 230 million dollar guaranteed contract, Brissett made sense as a back up. When the options changed to Brissett being the starter, Dobbs as the designated back up wasn't going to work for them. It seems pretty clear that Dobbs worked fine as the third option at the position but not as the second option.

I just wanted to clarify I don't think the outcome would have changed if we would have had Rosen as the backup and Brissett had not been on the roster. In either scenario it would have made Dobbs the backup and I feel this FO would have singed a better option to be the backup rather than keep Dobbs at that status.

Last edited by PitDAWG; 07/22/22 02:22 PM.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

I would amend that in a minor way. I am assuming Watson gets suspended, so to me they will be competing for 2nd string...at least in a short term view. If Watson is set free, I could see us cutting either Rosen or Dobbs the next day. Probably Rosen. I don't think he is a good 3rd QB candidate.

I am sorry...I couldn't help it....But when I read that last line.....All I could think about was Ralphie writing his theme and saying " I don't think that a football's a very good Christmas Present"

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
O
Legend
Legend
O
I hear what you're saying, and I do agree with you. Via what you just described (need to have a legit backup) I just think Rosen is a really curious choice if that's the case.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I said earlier that I was good with signing for various reasons. So here are my thoughts on different reasons.

- Like Memphis said, it could be assisting with a possible suspensions. That would make sense.

- I don't expect Rosen to all of a sudden be a starting QB.

- The cost and length won't be much where it will affect much regarding cap reasons. This is a signing before camp. What that means, he is getting an audition firsthand to see if the coaches can bring out something previous teams could not or identify weaknesses the coaches could help improve. I almost look at his signing as bringing a undrafted free agent into rookie camp. Bring him put him out on the field, the QB coach has time to work on playbook and fundamentals with Rosen. Remember, this will be training camp and not in the middle of the season where most practices are preparing for the next week not fundamental work.

And If it doesn't work, then cut and move on. Just like you would do when you bring in an extra kicker during training camp. If an emergency comes up during the season and he's still available, then you can bring him back in since he has some knowledge of the offense.

- I know one of the knocks on him is mobility, we do have a great offensive line that should help with lack of mobility and a cleaner pocket. It's on him to a read defenses pre/post snap and identifying the right receiver to throw. He did have some arm talent when coming out of college.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

I definitely can understand that. At this point in time, I basically see it as churning the bottom of your roster to see what you have in the player that has experience in starting (even if it was ugly, lol)

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
The guy is a Turd - always has been. This will be his 6th team in 4 years - but the Browns will bring out something different.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by Hammer
The guy is a Turd - always has been. This will be his 6th team in 4 years - but the Browns will bring out something different.

If only we still had the QB Whisper. rofl

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think we have reached the point where people are just wanting to bash the Browns. Signing Rosen is insignificant.

The Browns are a contender if Watson plays. W/out Watson, the Browns are not a contender. That was true before they traded for him and it is still true. Those of us who are still rooting for the Browns have to hope Watson's suspension is short or he isn't suspended at all. The latter is doubtful. There is a chance that the suspension might not be too long given the NFL's lack of tangible evidence. However, they still might slap a long suspension on him. Josh Rosen isn't going to make a difference one way or the other. Not understanding the angst over a 3rd or 4th string qb.

Legend
Legend
Rosen is insignificant. I totally agree.

He may not even be on the team the whole year.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree with you on Rosen, but I still think even without Watson and with this roster we can still compete for a playoff spot. Although Watson would make things a little easier in that respect thumbsup

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by bonefish

Ballpeen made a valid point. Josh is a good backup QB.

The thing no one is considering is Rosen is very smart. I'm sure everyone remembers Ken Dorsey.

If Rosen is similar to Dorsey from a cerebral football point of view, you are basically adding another QB coach. I think this is a good thing for whatever that is worth!

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by PETE314

I am sorry...I couldn't help it....But when I read that last line.....All I could think about was Ralphie writing his theme and saying " I don't think that a football's a very good Christmas Present"

Yes, but in his mind, Ralphie got an Attttttttttttttt on that paper.

1 member likes this: PETE314
Legend
Legend
I would much rather have .... say ....*puke* someone like Colt McCoy. (and I know he's not availablew)

That should really demonstrate how much I despise this signing. Bleh.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Rosen was chosen. catfight

Jimmy Haslam gets tired of new shoes like Sarah Jessica Parker gets tired of quarterbacks. < I see it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by bugs

The thing no one is considering is Rosen is very smart. I'm sure everyone remembers Ken Dorsey.

If Rosen is similar to Dorsey from a cerebral football point of view, you are basically adding another QB coach. I think this is a good thing for whatever that is worth!

I hope Josh Rosen can be a good backup for us...but thus far in his career, he's done absolutely nothing to indicate that he may be a viable backup.

V
Legend
Legend
V

bugs, Dobbs is very intelligent. I think that is why the Browns brought him in. He's like another coach. You don't want him on the field, but the guy is very well respected for his intelligence and Ben relied on him a lot in Pittsburgh.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
- I know one of the knocks on him is mobility, we do have a great offensive line that should help with lack of mobility and a cleaner pocket. It's on him to a read defenses pre/post snap and identifying the right receiver to throw. He did have some arm talent when coming out of college.

We have a very good OLine WHEN HEALTHY. Our stud RT missed (10) games with injuries last year and is coming off a significant knee injury.

Our LT who is still transitioning from RT tore up his ankle during our 2nd possession of the season last year and he struggled for the entire season...a season important for his development as a LT vs RT. I fear he will be our '23 RT and we go searching for a starting LT.

We moved on from a rock at C due to legit salary cap concerns...there is much to like about the new C...but he's new and was a 5th Rd pick.

Our swing OT played one game last year after getting injured...after his season ended due to injury the year-before-last.

We have (2) absolute STUDS at LG & RG.

If they feel like any OLine can make up for a QBs lack of mobility, they are farting in the wind. If they think an OLine can make or break a guy like Rosen, they should be fired.

Rosen is better than Dobbs...THAT'S the only logical reason why he is here...for now.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

bugs, Dobbs is very intelligent. I think that is why the Browns brought him in. He's like another coach. You don't want him on the field, but the guy is very well respected for his intelligence and Ben relied on him a lot in Pittsburgh.

I've read those sentiments about Dobbs elsewhere as well as here...in addition...comments that he's simply a great guy.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think I know OL play well. It's one of my strengths as an evaluator. I think the Browns OL is outstanding as a whole. No team has great players at every position along the OL. The Browns continually give their QB more time to throw than other lines. They open up large holes in the running game.

While PFF is not the end-all, most people who know the game understand they are the most reliable source for evaluations that the public has access to. They ranked the Browns 1st overall in 2020. The ranking slipped to 8th overall last year and they cited the injuries to the tackes as the reason for the slippage. They have the Browns ranked 2nd overall going into the 2022 season.

The Browns OL is elite!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I think I know OL play well. It's one of my strengths as an evaluator. I think the Browns OL is outstanding as a whole. No team has great players at every position along the OL. The Browns continually give their QB more time to throw than other lines. They open up large holes in the running game.

While PFF is not the end-all, most people who know the game understand they are the most reliable source for evaluations that the public has access to. They ranked the Browns 1st overall in 2020. The ranking slipped to 8th overall last year and they cited the injuries to the tackes as the reason for the slippage. They have the Browns ranked 2nd overall going into the 2022 season.

The Browns OL is elite!

When your starting RT misses (10) games and your starting LT misses (4) games and your #1 backup OT misses (16) games you don't have to read PFF to see that the OLine was NOT very good last year. If healthy and IF Wills can be a legit LT, the Browns Oline COULD be elite. I hope they are.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Even with those injuries last year, our OL was still pretty damn good.

Our interior, depth, and Callahan were the reasons why.

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Even with those injuries last year, our OL was still pretty damn good.

They had many good games and the IOL scored very high and their play proved that out...Conklin was in-and-out (more out than in)...Hubbard was out...Hudson was not ready and it showed...Wills was hurt for all but (2) possessions. Hance started (8) games.

The OL play was good...but it was far from special due to injuries.

This year we have the (3) injured OTs back healthy and a new C. With (2) STUD guards, there is much to be optimistic about. We can stomach (1) OT getting dinged for a but...but not (3).

Edited to add:

I agree that Callahan is quite the OL coach.

Last edited by WSU Willie; 07/23/22 10:52 AM.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'll take one post beginning with "OLine was NOT very good" to the next one saying "OL play was good'. thumbsup

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I'll take one post beginning with "OLine was NOT very good" to the next one saying "OL play was good'. thumbsup

I should be more clear...they were good at times...very good at the very few times when they were not decimated by injuries...below average at times...and downright awful in limited instances. Overall, they were rather inconsistent due to injuries and players either not-yet-ready or out-of-position...or both.

What they managed overall over the course of the year was admiralable.

Not very good can equal good...it can also equal what I said ^.

Last edited by WSU Willie; 07/23/22 12:09 PM.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Can Josh Rosen play Wide Receiver? Actually, if he could play slot WR, that would be bonkers!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

I should be more clear...they were good at times...very good at the very few times when they were not decimated by injuries...below average at times...and downright awful in limited instances. Overall, they were rather inconsistent due to injuries and players either not-yet-ready or out-of-position...or both.

What they managed overall over the course of the year was admiralable.

Not very good can equal good...it can also equal what I said ^.
Do you want the Boat, or the Mystery box?
Peter Griffin said to Louis. "Hold on Louis, a boat is just a boat, but a Mystery box could be Anything!!, it could even be a BOAT!!!.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
As some have posted already. They must think, or already know, Watson is going to get a long suspension. Which means it will be even longer since Watson has played. This is looking like a bad trade more and more every day. I think Berry and whoever else decided to do this, made a huge mistake!

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Dawg Citizen
As some have posted already. They must think, or already know, Watson is going to get a long suspension. Which means it will be even longer since Watson has played. This is looking like a bad trade more and more every day. I think Berry and whoever else decided to do this, made a huge mistake!

Signing Josh Rosen, a guy who has been cut by 5 teams, is the team's answer to Watson getting a long suspension? Y'all crack me up.

1 member likes this: bugs
T
Legend
Legend
T
It's not the answer to Watson getting a long suspension.
I think it is the answer to irreconcileable differences with your franchise Quarterback Baker Mayfield
which, I think, says something about how this franchise develops it's own players.
After all, they drafted Baker with the first overall pick.

... Say this out loud.
The Browns, under Haslam, had 2 #1 overall picks, the TOP pick in the draft, TWICE since 2016.
They also used Three first round picks of the future on the quarterback position, including this years and the next two upcoming.

And the Browns are desperately bringing in Josh Rosen at Quarterback, because Jacoby Brissett isn't very good either.

Now what does that say about how the Browns, owned by Jimmy Haslam, develop their own talent or know how and who to go get in the first place.

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Josh Rosen's signing is all about the uncertainty of the situation and NOT about some back room word that Watson is being suspended for a long time...If they knew that...don't you think they might have gone after Garoppolo??? It is adding an arm to camp that is probably a better backup than Dobbs to this point because he has starting experience...which Dobbs does not. Doesn't mean Dobbs can't beat him out...but since no one knows what is going on concerning Watson...they are prepping for possibilities.

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B

Valid Point! I forgot that about Dobbs.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Wow Vers talk about dreams coming true. We can Baker and then sign Rosen your ride or die from that draft class.

I think we are trying to hit a homerun. Dave Kingman comes to mind.

The kid has talent why he busted who knows??? Well its a what if Brissett gets hurt moment.

Thanks guys for making what might be the worst trade ever in the NFL!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
V
Legend
Legend
V
I did want Rosen in the draft. Evaluating college qbs is almost impossible, even the NFL guys get it wrong all the time.

In the NFL, Rosen has been a bust. I admit it when I am wrong. I was wrong about Rosen.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Getting Watson was not a move for this year alone. See the bigger picture if you can.

[Linked Image]

3 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, CapCity Dawg, Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

Getting Watson was not a move for this year alone. See the bigger picture if you can.

I think this trade might go down as the best trade the Browns ever made.

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns sign Josh Rosen

Link Copied to Clipboard