Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by boofers20
unrelated to this year, but I was recently converting old Hi-8 tapes to digital video files I have, and I have a recording of a training camp practice from 2006. It was funny seeing some old names pop up on the video, Ruben Droughns, Charlie Frye, and even Braylon Edwards was making some plays. Pretty incredible that those names only seem like yesterday.

For me, those names seem a million years ago. They emerge from my repressed memory as ghosts, materializing from a dense gray/brown/dust- colored fog of ennui and despair...

sorry.
I usually have a better handle on my "Battered Dawg Syndrome"...

wink

"too many notes, not enough music-"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
Originally Posted by boofers20
unrelated to this year, but I was recently converting old Hi-8 tapes to digital video files I have, and I have a recording of a training camp practice from 2006. It was funny seeing some old names pop up on the video, Ruben Droughns, Charlie Frye, and even Braylon Edwards was making some plays. Pretty incredible that those names only seem like yesterday.

For me, those names seem a million years ago. They emerge from my repressed memory as ghosts, materializing from a dense gray/brown/dust- colored fog of ennui and despair...

sorry.
I usually have a better handle on my "Battered Dawg Syndrome"...

wink

Sometimes you have to reflect on the past to appreciate the present. A total flip from then when we had nothing else but to appreciate the past.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

And there you have it folks......the trade is a confirmed 'W" for the Browns.

Tackles are tackles.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

And there you have it folks......the trade is a confirmed 'W" for the Browns.

The truth is that the WR ran the wrong route. There was a hurricane force wind blowing in Baker's face. The OL gave up too much pressure and Baker was running for his life. The play call was stupid. Ruhle should have never let Baker play w/that injury. Baker's supporting cast stinks. The fans are really mean.

1 member likes this: Rishuz
O
Legend
Legend
O
The thread is 'Browns Training Camp: 2022', so now I'm confused.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
2 members like this: CBFAN19, mgh888
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think you just got played. It's was one series in training camp. The desperation and hilarity involved here is astounding. But not surprising by any means.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
You forgot Rhule should have never put him out there without having time to learn the playbook.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't believe none of that crap Ski just said. He didn't do any of that with Baker. He just bashes square pegs into round holes.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Saw some Twitter of camp highlights.

Looks like camp cupcake is in full effect.

No one plays against air more than the Browns.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
The video is false . According to some on here Baker is the
Most accurate paaser in the league. He throws the most catchable
Ball in the league. The trade is the dumbest of all time!!!

M
Legend
Legend
M
brownie

The CBA only permits the team to do so much during the first five days of TC.

(a) The first day of a Club’s preseason training camp shall be limited to physical examinations, meetings, and classroom instruction; no on-field activities shall be permitted other than running and conditioning. On-field activities are limited to Phase One-type conditioning, timing and testing, except that all coaches are permitted on the field. No helmets or protective shirts are permitted. No footballs may be used (“dead ball” activities only). No plays or walk-throughs are permitted. No individual player instruction or team drills are permitted. Nothing shall prohibit a Club from administering a conditioning test provided that such test must be reasonable and appropriate to determine the player’s ability to participate in the individual and team drills permitted by this Article. No such test may be given solely for the purpose of disciplining a player who reports to preseason training camp out of shape or overweight.

(b) (b)(i) On days two through five of preseason training camp, no live contact shall be permitted. Players may be on the field no more than 3.5 hours. Two on-field sessions are permitted as follows: one session may be a full speed practice, which can be no longer than 2.0 hours. This session may include all customary practice activities at the head coach’s discretion. The other session on the same day may be for a maximum of the remaining 3.5-hour on-field time, and is limited to only walk-through instruction and drills and plays conducted at an acceptable walkthrough pace (i.e., Pro Bowl practice pace), as demonstrated in a video jointly approved by the parties, with offensive players lining up across from defensive players, or kicking team players lining up across from return team players. No helmets may be worn during the second practice. The two on-field practices may be conducted in either order.

(b)(ii) On days two and three, helmets and jointly-approved protective shirts are permitted for the full speed practice.

(b)(iii) On days four and five, helmets and jointly-approved protective shirts, shells and spiders are permitted for the full speed practice (shells and spiders shall be jointly approved by the parties).

https://overthecap.com/collective-bargaining-agreement/article/23/section/7

1 member likes this: Rishuz
O
Legend
Legend
O
TLDR, going full-bore on day 1 is probably not the greatest idea.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by oobernoober

A lot of effort to deride an ex-Brown huh ... From posters who used to try to pretend to be neutral on that ex-Brown. I'd say it's pretty clear the bile and angst is real and still tangible even though we've moved on.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Until Sue Robinson renders her decision, one of the biggest decisions will be how to split reps w/Watson and Brissett? One would think that they almost have to split first team reps for now due to the uncertainty of the suspension. Hopefully, she decides w/in the next couple of days so we can adequately prepare for the season.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I guess I'll just add that I'm glad that the years of having 2 1st-round castoffs compete for the starting QB job are behind us (referring more to our past QB rooms moreso than Baker here).

Just not sure how I feel about this next-level QB drama we have going on.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Good information, Pdawg. Thanks.

--I see Newsome working in the slot, too. His skill set transfers the best to that position.

--It would be great if Delpit makes a big leap. He is athletic and good straight line speed. I don't like his lateral movement, though. I'll need to see that improve before I get excited about him.

--Big year for DPJ. We really need him to make a big jump and he needs it for his career and future contracts.

--Bryant will probably get a lot of opportunities. He needs to hold on to the ball.

--Bell's injury kinda sucks. He could be a good slot WR for us. We need someone in that role.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I'm sure he won coach of the year pounding squares into rounds. He is human just like the rest of us- JMHO, he's been schooled by one guy really bad- Bill B., I don't think he's THE problem. And- Jim H. has been QUICK to fire anyone he doesn't have faith in....personally, I'm glad we have finally got some steadiness all thru the organization. Time will tell.....GO Browns!!!! Zero games for Watson, just like the owners punishment.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
A lot of guys who really know football think highly of Stefanski and his scheme. It's very QB friendly.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Cleveland Browns Training Camp Recap: Day 1 - Welcome to 2022
Browns training camp is officially underway!

By Chris Pokorny@DawgsByNature Jul 27, 2022, 4:21pm EDT 8 Comments

On Wednesday, Day 1 of Cleveland Browns training camp kicked off in anticipation of the 2022 season. As we do every year, we will compile a summary of what happened before, during, and after each practice, based on notes from the local media and the team.

Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 1 (7/27/22)
1. Uncertainty Remains: There seemed to be a general assumption that the team would know more about DeShaun Watson’s potential suspension prior to training camp, but it is Day 1 and a decision has not been released yet. Even if he is suspended, though, Watson would be able to participate in training camp. Head coach Kevin Stefanski said that both Watson and Jacoby Brissett — who would start in the event of a suspension — will receive a ton of reps.

2. The Media Awaits Too: Although training camp is officially underway in Berea today, the first day for fans will be Saturday, July 30. Plenty of local and national media were in attendance, especially eager to hear about any potential quarterback news. The weather was an overcast 76 degrees in the picture below, but the forecast called for potential rain in the late-afternoon, so practice was moved indoors.

3. Sidelined Today: Players not practicing on Day 1 of camp include CB Denzel Ward (foot) and RT Jack Conklin (knee), as both were placed on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list. DT Sheldon Day (back) and LB Anthony Walker (groin) are on the active/non-football injury list. Stefanski said that Ward should start practicing in a couple weeks, and he expects Conklin to practice “at some point” during camp after coming off surgery in December to repair his torn patellar tendon.

5. Chubb & Hunt Together: Is it too early to get excited over a formation in training camp — or rather, the personnel involved in the formation? As you can see here, both RB Nick Chubb and RB Kareem Hunt were lined up in the backfield at the same time here:

6. He’s Got the Distance: These certainly aren’t official measurements, but K Cade York appeared to be hitting well from long range, even though it was indoors:

7. Back to Receiver? Earlier this offseason, Browns scout Max Paulus said that Demetric Felton would be in the running back room moving forward. However, on Day 1 of training camp, he was right back at the receiver position.

8. Brownies: Before practice, Stefanski praised third-string QB Josh Dobbs for the “unbelieveable job” he’s done with the team so far. ... The first practice was just a very light walkthrough, with no offense vs. defense. ... CB Greg Newsome expects to be the team’s nickelback this year, with CB Greedy Williams battling CB Martin Emerson for the other outside cornerback spot.

11. Next Up: The Browns will practice on Thursday at 2:00 PM ET. The first practice open to fans is on Saturday.

https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2022/...raining-camp-recap-day-1-welcome-to-2022

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by oobernoober
Haters gotta hate. That's all there is to it.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Browns training camp Day 1: News and notes as the unknown lingers

Jared Mueller follow
July 28, 2022 6:30 am ET

The Cleveland Browns took the field for their first day of training camp on Wednesday. While no fans were around, the media was allowed to observe for a portion of the practice.

The big question still remains as QB Deshaun Watson is present and practicing with no resolution from Judge Sue Robinson. After missing all of the 2021 season, Watson needs as much time as possible to get ready for whatever part of the 2022 season he will be playing.

The team needs to prepare for whichever quarterback will be starting early in the season.

After last year’s was about changes on the defensive side of the ball, this training camp is full of change on offense with new quarterbacks, receivers and a new starting center.

A few pieces of news and notes from day one of training camp:

Starter at QB

HC Kevin Stefanski made it clear once again that Jacoby Brissett would be the team’s starter if Watson is suspended. While not a surprise, final confirmation after some wondered if Josh Rosen’s signing was for something more than a camp arm competing for a backup or practice squad role.

Garrett Sets Expectations High for Defense

With a majority of the defense back from last year, DE Myles Garrett has set the bar high on that side of the ball:

Felton a Receiver

While he may be a running back on the depth chart and in the program, Demetric Felton has been lining up as a receiver most of the offseason. That continued Wednesday:

Jack Conklin Should Return Soon

Perhaps one of the biggest pieces of news out of the press conferences is that starting right tackle Jack Conklin is expected to practice during training camp. With his serious knee injury during the season last year, there was some concern that he would not be available early in the season but returning to practice in camp should put him in line to play in Week 1.

Other Injury Updates

The Browns put five players on different lists on the eve of training camp but, along with the Conklin update and news that the team is playing it safe with CB Denzel Ward, Stefanski noted that LB Anthony Walker and DL Sheldon Day would be healthy in time for the start of the season:

Notes from Albert Breer

Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer was in Berea and brought home a few interesting notes:

S Grant Delpit is set for a big season and the team is excited for him to get a full training camp after injury took him out as a rookie and limited him last year.

Breer adds some WR Donovan Peoples-Jones hype. Last year’s training camp buzz fizzled during the season but WR Amari Cooper’s presence should help.

A few interesting slot options were for both sides of the ball.

The somewhat forgotten draft class got the final bit of attention with a reminder of just how important K Cade York is for this season.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lists/browns-training-camp-day-1-deshaun-watson/

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
With a majority of the defense back from last year, DE Myles Garrett has set the bar high on that side of the ball:

Glad to see Garrett take the lead for the defense and show the leadership the defense needs.

The offense will need to find a leader capable of challenging his offensive teammates...someone like Garrett...

Someone who shows leadership off the field, in the training room and on the practice field...but most of all, someone the offensive side who the players can look up to at critical moments in a game. Who is going to be that leader for the offense..?

Last edited by mac; 07/28/22 08:26 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by mac

Glad to see Garrett take the lead for the defense and show the leadership the defense needs.

The offense will need to find a leader capable of challenging his offensive teammates...someone like Garrett...

Someone who shows leadership off the field, in the training room and on the practice field...but most of all, someone the offensive side who the players can look up to at critical moments in a game. Who is going to be that leader for the offense..?

We have guys on defense who are great at talking up and about the game...MG is one of those guys. I'd prefer to see it on the field though.

Edited to add: My disappointment in MG does not mean I think he is anything but a stud. He doesn't appear to be a guy who will rally guys though...well...other than LJ after his D gets beat.

Last edited by WSU Willie; 07/28/22 09:08 AM.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by WSU Willie[quote
We have guys on defense who are great at talking up and about the game...MG is one of those guys. I'd prefer to see it on the field though.

Edited to add: My disappointment in MG does not mean I think he is anything but a stud. He doesn't appear to be a guy who will rally guys though...well...other than LJ after his D gets beat.

Thats interesting...I view Garrett as an example of a player who shows his leadership "by example" and not so much as someone who leads by being a "raw, raw talker"..!

The best leadership might come from someone who can inspire by talking/challenging his teammates and then backs up his talk by making the big plays on the field.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think Myles is a leader. Hard to debate that.

Watson is a proven leader. I understand that we don't know if he will be available, so it's hard to say he will be our leader once the season starts. I will say that he will be the team leader once he is cleared to play.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I think Myles is a leader. Hard to debate that.

Watson is a proven leader. I understand that we don't know if he will be available, so it's hard to say he will be our leader once the season starts. I will say that he will be the team leader once he is cleared to play.

vers...leadership can not be given, especially when someone is beginning with a new team.

Leadership must be "earned".

For the record, in no way do I consider Watson a leader..!

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
We have different opinions on Watson's ability to be a leader. That's fine and I respect your opinion. I want to expand on my claim, though. Watson has already been recognized and lauded for his leadership abilities at both Clemson and in the NFL. Here is a short excerpt from just one article on the subject of Watson's leadership abilities.

Having both earned his degree and won the college football championship in three years, Deshaun declared for the NFL draft. Many teams showed an interest, including the Houston Texans. On a pre-draft visit to their facility, Watson, sat by himself in the cafeteria to have lunch. Before long, a crowd of over twenty players had joined Watson. Seeing how the players were drawn to Watson, noting that it was a matter of attraction not promotion, led the team management to realize what a special person Deshaun Watson was – both as a football player and as a leader.

The team drafted Watson and, as stated earlier, the Texans are in the playoffs in his second year. Deshaun Watson is transforming another team by his example. His work ethic, his conviction, his talent, and his leadership all combine to elevate the entire team.

What can we learn from a twenty-three-year-old professional quarterback? Plenty!

Remain teachable – Throughout his life, Deshaun Watson has been open to learning from people who both know more than he and have his best interests at heart. With his natural talent, Watson could easily have dismissed the input and drive that Coach Perry gave him. He could have made his education a low priority as he was almost certain to become a highly paid professional athlete. Instead, he remained teachable at all levels in all situations. The result? He’s become more talented, more knowledgeable and a better leader.

Confidence and humility are not mutually exclusive – Watson is completely confident in his ability – that fact is very clear if you hear him talk. At the same time, he’s humble in a way very few athletes and celebrities are. Perhaps the greatest example of his humility is when his high school team won the state championship, Watson stayed in the crowd rather that join the team in front of the cameras. His reasoning? It’s not my time. His coach had no idea until he saw the newspaper the next day. His coach was not surprised. It’s great to be self-assured – it’s even more impressive to do so with humility.

Be thankful, give back more than you receive – Deshaun Watson is very aware of how much he’s been given in life. A loving, dedicated mother, natural talent, dedicated coaches, a committed academic adviser, support from other athletes, financial freedom, and more. He wants to help kids as he was helped. He wants to mentor young athletes as he’s been mentored. He wants to lead his team and the city of Houston to a Super Bowl victory. He puts it this way: “I want to leave a legacy on the field. I do. I want to be remembered as a great teammate. As a hard worker. As a winner. But if I’m not, and the only thing people remember about me is that I was somebody who gave back everything he’d received from others, and more? I’d be O.K. with that, too.”

https://brandingforresults.com/deshaun-watson/

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
There are many articles on Watson's leadership. I posted the above from his Clemson and Houston days. Here are comments from teammates on the Browns.

“I can just tell like it’s a different aura about him and you can tell he’s a great leader,” Newsome said. “He comes in the building, works every single day.

“But that’s the first thing I can say, he’s a great leader, great person.”

Chubb, a three-time Pro Bowler, joined Watson and the group in paradise.

“We all had a good time,” Chubb said. “He’s a great guy to be around. We all love him. He’s a natural leader. He’s been here since OTAs started. He took his own trip. I think those things bring in trust and bonding for our team.”

https://www.brownszone.com/2022/05/...ions-despite-lawsuits-nfl-investigation/

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
What has Watson done for the Cleveland Browns..?

Watson may have been considered a leader in the past, but I seriously doubt that he was handed the title of "leader" when he was a incoming freshman in college.

I seriously doubt that Watson was handed the title of team leader of the Texans as an incoming rookie.

Those who believe Watson is the leader of the Browns based on his past...you must consider his "entire past", on and off the field.

IMO, Watson has a lot to prove before he can be mentioned as a leader of the Browns offense.

Nick Chubb and Joel Bitonio are the type of leaders the Browns can depend on based on their past conduct and the sacrifices that they have made since being drafted by the Browns.

Watson has to earn the title of "a leader" by proving himself on and off the field, as a Cleveland Brown.

jmo

Last edited by mac; 07/28/22 11:06 AM.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

eek

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: jfanent, Versatile Dog
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

eek

hey memp & vers...who the hell is your source MoreForYouCleveland ?

I stand by my beliefs... leadership positions are not for giving away because a few guys like you !

Leadership position are to earned !!

What in the world has Deshaun Watson done to earn a leadership position with the Browns ?

When Watson cleans up his mess off the field and proves himself playing for the Browns, then I might feel he's worthy of being called a leader for the Cleveland Browns.

The fact that there might be a few players willing say nice things about Watson because they like him...that is hardly an endorsement that meets my standards for 'leadership' .

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
No one is trying to change your mind. I said i was fine w/your opinion. However, we are permitted to express our opinions, as well. No?

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
R
Legend
Legend
R
How do you tweak your knee against air?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It maybe a blessing ... now we might actually go sign a FA Veteran receiver.

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Training Camp: 2022

Link Copied to Clipboard