Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
that sucks for Grant we may as well release him if it's his Achilles. He probably won't be the same for 2 years and won't be worth much when he is 32.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Tear confirmed. Not good.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
What a damn shame. My heart goes out to the guy.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
What a damn shame. My heart goes out to the guy.

Me too. Also, it will hurt the team, bebause he is also our Pro Bowl returner.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

I look for #83 Travell Harris to try and fill our return duties now with this most unfortunate news.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Tough news for Jakeem and the team. You hate to see it

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
I have really high hopes for Winfrey, Bell and Cade. I would have been happy to take Winfrey much earlier.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Winfrey has gotten some nice marks thus far. I do like his attitude too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Losing Grant is a huge loss to the special teams.
This was a player who on 1-return could flip the field.
It really affects the offense cause this offense needs all the help
It can get as far field position goes.

Legend
Legend
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “Yeah, they gave me one, but I had to let go quick. I had to realize there was 250 on the line. Yeah, that was cool.” Winfrey on his “sack” of Watson. Quarterbacks aren’t supposed to be hit, so coaches make a judgment call. The “250” sounded like a reference to Watson’s $230 million fully guaranteed contract.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
L
Legend
Legend
L
Tough to see, but ....... ‘When I saw the name Grant in this thread I thought Delpit had an injury

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
J/C

Our return game was very bad last year (did I read that we were dead last?) … I don’t love DPJ back there because he makes me nervous. And Felton doesn’t really have the speed, he’s more quick. I don’t think our returner is on the roster.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Tough break for Grant. Given his age, skill set, and usual recovery time, it could spell the end of his career. That type of injury really hurts a player who relies on speed and quickness as his calling card.

It hurts the team a lot. He pretty much was going to wear 3 hats for this team that have to be replaced since he was slated for kickoff and punt returns, plus receiver/gadget play options.

It will hurt the most on punt returns. First, you do return many punts unlike kickoff returns. Next, we don't really have a good returner for punts. We hve guys who muff too many punts or don't have the quick step to be able to avoid the first guy on coverage.

I would like to get Brittan Covey from the Eagles. That kid can return punts. Maybe he hits the waiver wire.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
J/C

Our return game was very bad last year (did I read that we were dead last?) … I don’t love DPJ back there because he makes me nervous. And Felton doesn’t really have the speed, he’s more quick. I don’t think our returner is on the roster.

If we see DPJ back there returning - it is a fail. He's not the answer, he's not natural at returning and I think it would possibly impact his progress as a WR which we do not want. I think it's a good call that our returner isn't on the roster yet. Berry is has been alert to many other positions when the need arises - let's hope he has a trick or two up his sleeve for the return game/position.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

When WR hopes are dashed because a 6-year, journeyman veteran WR with 100 career catches and 1,140 career receiving yards is out for the year...you know your FO is failing at that position group...again.

I know he's just a punt/kick returner even if he himself did not see that.

JoJo Natson is a free agent...essentially the same guy.

Legend
Legend
I agree we cant have him back ther

Legend
Legend
"Get back, Jojo!"

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: Ballpeen, AZBrown
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
j/c

When WR hopes are dashed because a 6-year, journeyman veteran WR with 100 career catches and 1,140 career receiving yards is out for the year...you know your FO is failing at that position group...again.

Yes, he is an option, but he is no where near the talent of Grant. Jojo has zero return TDs' (or receiving, or rushing) in his career.

[Linked Image]

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
j/c

Yes, he is an option, but he is no where near the talent of Grant. Jojo has zero return TDs' (or receiving, or rushing) in his career.

No question that Grant is a better returner...neither guy will/would make a difference in our WR room though.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This might sound crazy, but how about Travis Benjamin? I think he is a FA.

Consider the following:

He averaged 15.7 yards per return last year in SF, albeit on just 3 returns. His career average for PR is 11 yds and his KO return average is 24.2.

Probably not going to happen, but there aren't many guys available right now.

B
Legend
Legend
B
j/c

I don't know that hopes are dashed because of this injury.

In the end, Grant was just a "guy", at least in the receiver room. In the vid where he was hurt, he looked like a midget against whoever was covering, and they had him covered.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Tough break for Grant. Given his age, skill set, and usual recovery time, it could spell the end of his career.

We just have that kind of luck sadly.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by LexDawg
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Tough break for Grant. Given his age, skill set, and usual recovery time, it could spell the end of his career.

We just have that kind of luck sadly.

I have never been one to buy in to good luck and bad luck. Especially the bad.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
While Cole Beasley isn't a great WR he certainly has been very good in terms of catches and moving the chains throughout his career with over 80 receptions in each of his past two seasons. I agree that none of us really know for sure if he would have been as good as Beasley in that department. However Beasly is just less than 5'8" and 175 pounds. So I don't think pointing out his lack of stature is pertinent.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I would guess it is now Felton’s job to lose. I wouldn’t mind seeing Harley get a chance.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
While Cole Beasley isn't a great WR he certainly has been very good in terms of catches and moving the chains throughout his career with over 80 receptions in each of his past two seasons. I agree that none of us really know for sure if he would have been as good as Beasley in that department. However Beasly is just less than 5'8" and 175 pounds. So I don't think pointing out his lack of stature is pertinent.

But he wasn't Cole Beasley. My only point is his real value to the team was most likely as a punt returner. I don't include kickoffs because not all that many even get returned. I mentioned that he looked like a midget. If that isn't pertinent, cool.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Pdawg
I would guess it is now Felton’s job to lose. I wouldn’t mind seeing Harley get a chance.

Probably. He has shown some ability to catch the ball.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't know what his real value to the team would have ended up being. You may be right in that department. I don't believe he had an opportunity for us to know that one way or the other. I only pointed out a prime example of why measurables may not have ended up being a factor.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
My comment wasn't intended to comment on height as a measurable. It was more an observation as I have never really watched the guy play in the NFL other than maybe if I saw him while watching some sports center clip where he returned a kick and I can't say I am certain of that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Pdawg

Yep.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Browns owner says team will "respect and honor process"

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Don't ya just want to see the Browns win.
25 years and they just can't seem to be able to I don't know... field a Team.
So much to expect.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 08/10/22 05:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
A
Legend
Legend
A
j/c. I can't wait for this whole thing to be resolved, in whatever fashion.

1 member likes this: jfanent
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Browns owner says team will "respect and honor process"

Are you attempting to derail another thread?

[Linked Image]

2 members like this: jfanent, Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
j/c. I can't wait for this whole thing to be resolved, in whatever fashion.

I'm just ready for the season to start.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That’s interesting

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Training Camp Observations: Day 11

The Browns completed their final practice of training camp before they head to Jacksonville
Aug 09, 2022 at 06:40 PM
Employee Headshots on June 24, 2021
Anthony Poisal
Staff Writer

090622_Observations
Next stop: Jacksonville.

The Browns completed their final practice Tuesday before they travel Wednesday to play their first preseason game against the Jaguars. Kickoff is at 1 p.m. on Friday at TIAA Bank Stadium, and the team will complete a light walk-through Wednesday before they leave for Florida, where they'll spend Thursday doing a few team-bonding activities.

"I know that it's game week and we have a game on Friday night, but we will treat today as truly a training camp day," head coach Kevin Stefanski said. "Tomorrow we will spend some more time on Jacksonville. We will practice a little bit earlier. Tomorrow afternoon, get on the airplane and get down to Jacksonville tomorrow night. Looking forward to a really good day today."

Here's what else happened on Day 11 in Berea.

Photos: Training Camp Day 11
Check out photos of players and coaches working throughout camp

– Stefanski didn't have any updates on which players will be available for the first preseason game. He did say, however, that the plan will be similar to how the Browns operated last season, when most of the team's starters did not play in Week 1 or Week 2.

He highlighted the joint practices next week against the Eagles as a prime opportunity to see what the starters can do against players on a different team.

"I think it will be similar, but I think you have to make decisions based on your team, and every year, things are different," he said. "I think the one thing of note is we have Philly coming in (Preseason) Week 2 to practice versus them. I do think that is a great opportunity to get two really good days of work in a controlled setting where you do not have to play your starters as much in that (Preseason) Week 2, per se. I do think (Preseason) Week 3 we still treat it as a dress rehearsal so to speak."

– Practice started on an upsetting note for the Browns — WR Jakeem Grant suffered an Achilles injury and was carted off the field after he went down during one-on-one drills.

Grant, a seventh-year veteran, was an All-Pro returner last season and expected to provide a spark to the Browns' return game. He was also off to a great start in camp and made several plays that highlighted his speed and playmaking ability in open space.

"I really feel awful for Jakeem," Stefanski said. "We've witnessed how hard the young man has worked since he got to our team. We all realize injuries are a part of our game but that doesn't make it any easier to accept especially for someone that works as hard and carries himself like Jakeem."

– The two biggest catches of the day were completed to WR Javon Wims and TE David Njoku. Njoku caught a perfectly-placed deep ball from QB Deshaun Watson during the one-on-one period, while Wims caught a deep ball near the sideline from Jacoby Brissett during the first round of 11-on-11 drills. Both catches were among the best all receivers have made so far in camp.

– After a bit of a rough start to practice, WR Anthony Schwartz got back on track with an impressive toe-tap catch near the sideline during 11-on-11s. He also looked sharp in 7-on-7 red zone drills and caught two touchdowns.

– WRs Mike Harley Jr. and David Bell also caught touchdowns during the red zone period. Harley, an undrafted rookie from Miami, caught two of them near the right pylon and has been one receiver on the backend of the depth chart who has impressed throughout camp. Bell, a rookie third-round selection, had his highest involvement in team drills since he was activated Saturday from the active/PUP list.

– Stefanski said he did not make a decision yet on whether Bell and Schwartz, who also returned to practice Saturday after missing time with a knee injury, would be available for the first preseason game.

– The Browns will have their next full practice day Sunday after they return from Jacksonville. It'll be the first of three straight practice days that are also the last practices open for fans. They'll be off Aug. 17 before welcoming the Eagles to CrossCountry Mortgage Campus on Aug. 18 and 19. The second preseason game is Aug. 21 at 1 p.m. against Philadelphia at FirstEnergy Stadium.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/training-camp-observations-day-11

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns Training Camp: 2022

Link Copied to Clipboard