Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
The Kyler Murray homework clause doesn’t violate the CBA

The unprecedented homework clause in the Kyler Murray contract raises plenty of questions.

Here’s one: Does the Collective Bargaining Agreement even allow it?

The fact that the league office approved the contract means only that the NFL has no problem with allowing teams to potentially void guarantees based on whether a player spends a specified amount of non-work time working. The question is whether the NFL Players Association would object.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the NFLPA does not believe the homework clause violates the CBA. Per the source, it’s a condition on his guaranteed money. No provision of the CBA prevents such terms.

Although guarantees are often conditioned on a wide variety of player conduct, this is the first time the NFLPA has seen a guarantee tied to in-season study time.

The fact that the clause applies only to football season likely wasn’t a mistake, since the only limits to work time in the CBA apply during the offseason.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...6hUTRa_yNR8F011xtaF7nGmxWS5DNwntLEG6hf_k

Report: Kyler Murray must conduct 4 hours of 'Independent Study' per week with Arizona Cardinals

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...tees-tied-independent-study/10148681002/

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Isn't 4hours/week really really light, in terms of study time?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
O
Legend
Legend
O
LMAO, that's tantamount to saying he's lazy or a slow learner going into his second contract and being paid 2nd place top money. So how much does he lose if he doesn't do his homework?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by oobernoober

This doesn't apply 12 months a year. From the second link article....

On Monday, it included reports that the contract includes seemingly unprecedented language that requires the quarterback to engage in at least four hours of “Independent Study” during each week of the season – beginning from the first Monday after training camp and ending through the last game of the season, including any postseason games.

So since that's a time of year where most of his time is consumed with football it is quite a bit of time.

I wonder what precedent was set where a team would feel a need to sign a QB for 230 million dollars who they are so unsure that he's dedicated to his craft it compelled the need to include a homework clause in his contract?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V

Yes. Like I said on the other thread where this news was first reported, there were former players saying they spent 4 hours a day studying on their own. Four hours of independent study a week is not nearly enough.

Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from img-9gag-fun.9cache.com]

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
3 members like this: Clemdawg, FATE, Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

Yes. Like I said on the other thread where this news was first reported, there were former players saying they spent 4 hours a day studying on their own. Four hours of independent study a week is not nearly enough.

I agree. Four hours a week during the season is not a whole lot. It seems you could easily spend 2 hours on Tuesdays..I think the normal "off" day. Mondays are maybe half days reviewing Sundays game film and maybe start looking at the next opponent.

But, Murray is a slacker. He wants to play the game and collect the check but apparently doesn't want to take his job seriously.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Good point. Yeah, it's not so much about your own playbook once the season starts, but scouting the upcoming opponent. Tendencies are huge for your pre-snap reads and there are other nuances that can be ascertained.

Legend
Legend
This cracks me up. You just signed this smurf to a huge contract, but only if he starts to learn the offense? Only if he'll "get on the same page" week in and week out?

I love that this ups the ante for the Jackson contract. Baltimore probably adding the same terminology as they both can look completely lost at times... and both exacerbate the situation with a childish attitude when things don't go their way. Fun to watch, just glad it's not my mess.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FATE
This cracks me up. You just signed this smurf to a huge contract, but only if he starts to learn the offense? Only if he'll "get on the same page" week in and week out?

I love that this ups the ante for the Jackson contract. Baltimore probably adding the same terminology as they both can look completely lost at times... and both exacerbate the situation with a childish attitude when things don't go their way. Fun to watch, just glad it's not my mess.

As Vers said and I alluded to, it is more about spending time scouting the opponent.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
But, Murray is a slacker. He wants to play the game and collect the check but apparently doesn't want to take his job seriously.

A similar claim was levied against Baker in terms of not preparing well enough. Also, both he and Murray are emotional midgets. Two short guys who both played for Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma. I wonder if there is more to it than coincidence?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FATE

As Vers said and I alluded to, it is more about spending time scouting the opponent. If you are still trying to learn your own playbook during the season, man, the guy must be a dummy.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

A similar claim was levied against Baker in terms of not preparing well enough. Also, both he and Murray are emotional midgets. Two short guys who both played for Lincoln Riley at Oklahoma. I wonder if there is more to it than coincidence?

Spencder Rattler thinks you might be on to something.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
So whose job is it on the Cards to keep track of his indep training time??

This was one of the weirder clauses I've seen... especially for that price tag...

<><

#gmstrong
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by jaybird

This was one of the weirder clauses I've seen... especially for that price tag...

Apparently, he must use a team "device" which is monitored, and it is required he can't be distracted by video games or television. I imagine the distraction list is larger, that's just what the guys on CBD reported today.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

Apparently, he must use a team "device" which is monitored, and it is required he can't be distracted by video games or television. I imagine the distraction list is larger, that's just what the guys on CBD reported today.

Just crazy....

<><

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

Some poor intern probably has to monitor him. What a job!

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
F
Legend
Legend
F
"Hey kid...I'll pay you $100/wk to take this iPad and spend 1 hour a day reviewing these football videos." smile

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by jfanent

And now I have found out why they felt the need to put this clause in Murray's contract. And vers tried to make it about Baker..... again....

"I'm not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film" - Kyler Murray's troubling admission forced Cardinals to add peculiar clause to his new contract

Arizona Cardinals quarterback Kyler Murray recently agreed to a new contract extension with the team, tying him down for five more seasons.

The quarterback signed a five-year $230.5 million extension with $160 million guaranteed, which makes him the second-highest paid quarterback.

However, there's a kicker to his contract that has many people around the league questioning the agreement.

Murray has to spend at least four hours each week studying film and can’t have a TV on in the background or play video games while doing so.

Last December, the quarterback said that he was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and see things before they happen. He claimed that he doesn't need to watch much film.

He said via Sarah Kezele of 98.7 Arizona Sports:

“I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens."

He suggested that he isn't like most other quarterbacks when it comes to studying film:

“I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.”

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/new...uc-LUQiye0OGEI6DipapGCMrJv_iahbUWvPaDqEo

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
He said via Sarah Kezele of 98.7 Arizona Sports:

“I think I was blessed with the cognitive skills to just go out there and just see it before it happens."

He suggested that he isn't like most other quarterbacks when it comes to studying film:

“I’m not one of those guys that’s going to sit there and kill myself watching film. I don’t sit there for 24 hours and break down this team and that team and watch every game because, in my head, I see so much.”

So he's the love-child of Anakin Skywalker and Allen Iverson.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
rofl

Good stuff!

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/new...uc-LUQiye0OGEI6DipapGCMrJv_iahbUWvPaDqEo

Man, I can think of a lot of ways to kill myself that would be long and tedious but watching game film to death would be pretty bad.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
j/c...

Kyler strikes back at critics in a pc this morning.

Story here:
https://sports.yahoo.com/kyler-murr...srespectful-almost-a-joke-181620232.html

His words here:

"I'm talking today because I feel it's necessary with what's going on as far as regarding me and the things that are being said about me. To think that I can everything that I've accomplished in my career and not be a student of the game and not have that passion and not take this serious is disrespectful and almost a joke," Murray said. "To me, I'm flattered, I'm honestly flattered that ya'll think at my size I can go out there and not prepare for the game and not take it serious. It's disrespectiful, I feel like, to my peers. To all the the great athletes and great players that are in this league. This game's too hard."

“I’m not 6-7, 230 pounds. I can’t throw it 85 yards. I’m already behind the 8-ball. I can’t afford to take any shortcuts – no pun intended. Those things you can't accomplish if you don't prepare the right way and take the game serious. Like I said, it's laughable.

"To the film side of things: There’s multiple different ways to watch film. There's many different ways to process the game. There's many different ways quarterbacks learn the game and break the game down," he added. "Of course I watch film by myself. That's a given. That doesn't need to be said.

"... I refuse to let my work ethic and my preparation be in question. I’ve put in an incomprehensible amount of time and blood, sweat, tears in what I do."

"Like I said, it's funny," Murray continued Thursday. "To those of you out there who believe that I'd be standing here today in front of ya'll without having a work ethic and without preparing – I'm honored that you'd think that, but it doesn't exist. It's not possible."

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
After his quotes from the past being brought up I feel there's no doubt he felt compelled to counter what he has stated prior.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Agreed.

Then again, without the language in the contract, the quote would have never reared it's face anyway. From that same article, here's what one NFL exec said, and I couldn't agree more.

“If it’s the kind of problem that needs to be addressed [in the deal], then maybe you should rethink whether you want to do [the deal] at all,” one executive told Robinson. “Or figure another way to do this that doesn’t make everyone think — justified or not — that you have a guy with issues dedicating to a level you need. That just looks intentional, like someone wanted it out there to get their pound of flesh in negotiations. I don’t know any other way to see it. You put the language in there and you know it’s going to be a story forever. And it will be, too.”

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Lol.

Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from aholdencirm.files.wordpress.com]

3 members like this: oobernoober, jfanent, Milk Man
Legend
Legend
Haha so stupid … like the narrative of him being a lazy gamer isn’t already out there … although it was tough for me to imagine that an NFL QB wasn’t watching 4 hours at home during the week

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Lol.

Talk about trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
3 members like this: PitDAWG, oobernoober, Versatile Dog
B
Legend
Legend
B
j/c...

Lol.

Talk about trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube.
No doubt.

I don't think being released from study hall detention is going to erase the thought the guy is a sluff off who is more interested in his X-Box over his job.
I can't imagine the Cards put that in there for no reason. At any rate, maybe this will get the guy more focused and understand that this is a job, and his employer has various expectations. Being a salaried employee has advantages and disadvantages. One of the disadvantages is the job doesn't stop as soon as you walk out the door. You are going to have to put in time that might be considered off the clock by those who punch the card. Just showing up on time for practice and games isn't the only expectation.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Shefty was saying that not many people w/in the organization have access to the actual wording of the contract and that there is speculation that the owner was the one who wanted that language added to the contract. That makes sense to me because no one has ever seen anything like that in a contract before. It's almost a lose-lose situation for the player and the team.

O
Legend
Legend
O
woah woah woah....

That would suggest that there's more than 1 meddling-moron-type owners out there in the league. This revelation must be carefully considered.

-PrplPplEater
2 members like this: FATE, Versatile Dog
M
Legend
Legend
M

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O

Brutal...

-PrplPplEater
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
And priceless.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
How long do we think he will last without a play off win?

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
In some places a QB doesn't make it long after a playoff win.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Kyler Murray Guaranteed Money hinges On Homework?

Link Copied to Clipboard