Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Swish
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
jc

overall, talks of recession damn near disappeared

https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/22/economy/nabe-economists-recession-inflation/index.html

By Matt Egan for CNN Business

Updated 10:55 AM ET, Mon August 22, 2022

72% of economists expect a US recession by the middle of next year

wait, so we moved the recession back from this year to next year?

will it start at the same time the civil war does?

ask cnn. they wrote the article

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
but im asking you.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
jc

so i asked this question in other thread, got no response.

so ill ask it here: conservatives, what are the republican plans to fix inflation and such that doesn't involve deregulating and cutting taxes for the corporations and wealthy?

you all whine non stop, but neither you or your 'leadership' have offered any solutions.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
jc

so i asked this question in other thread, got no response.

so ill ask it here: conservatives, what are the republican plans to fix inflation and such that doesn't involve deregulating and cutting taxes for the corporations and wealthy?

you all whine non stop, but neither you or your 'leadership' have offered any solutions.

Republicans Leadership's plan is "It's Biden's fault".

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Sung to the tune of Games Without Frontiers by Peter Gabriel...

Yellen says it's transitory, Biden says she's right
Inflation keeps on mounting, then Putin starts a fight
Biden now blames Putin, the left all stand in line
The right puts blame at Biden's feet, and they all march in time

Whistling tunes
We fight like baboons in the jungle...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
but im asking you.

I wouldn't know where to start. I'm not an elected official who signed up and was elected to manage this stuff.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
https://www.linkedin.com/news/story/us-august-jobs-growth-cools-to-315k-4941801/

The pace of payrolls growth slowed to 315,000 in August, as employers pulled back in the face of rising interest rates and recession fears. The unemployment rate rose to 3.7% from a half-century low of 3.5%, with the labor force participation rate rising to within one percentage point of its pre-pandemic level. More Americans looking for work will be welcome news for companies trying to catch up with resurgent demand in a historically tight labor market.

Wage growth, a concern for the Federal Reserve as it readies its next rate decision, declined to 0.3% from 0.5% in June.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So the inflation is slowing and over 300k jobs were created last month. When looking at early on in this thread inflation was going to continue to skyrocket and job growth was going to stop because everyone was laying off their workers. Hmmmm....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
So the inflation is slowing and over 300k jobs were created last month. When looking at early on in this thread inflation was going to continue to skyrocket and job growth was going to stop because everyone was laying off their workers. Hmmmm....

well, that's not exactly accurate. Inflation is still happening and prices are rising at nearly the fastest pace in 40 years. Economists are saying the reduction in job gains could.... possibily, maybe, potentially, hopefully, help cool inflation. They are also saying the feds are being too aggressive and they are going to put us into a recession.

https://www.usnews.com/news/politic...-august-hiring-report-will-show-slowdown

P
Legend
Legend
P
Like I said, it's "slowing down". That is accurate. Not the end result we all want but at least a positive sign in that direction. As far as the Feds go, while as you stated inflation continues, it is on a downward trend. So I think the Feds should not raise the prime rate any further until they see how that trend plays out. I have however never heard anyone saying creating jobs is a bad thing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have to say that all of this discussion both positive and negative is really difficult to make sense of because the metrics are based on traditional non pandemic factors.

What I do know is that a lot of people died, and a lot of people retired. It is difficult to find people..

We had a strong bounce back, but the resources for adding people is just not there. So we have low unemployment but can’t grow without more people.

Where are the people is the question.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
All this labor shortage crap just means that people caught up on some debt and saved a little during the pandemic, at least those with income. We didn't travel, didn't eat out, didn't shop local, etc., etc. Now that they aren't in emergency paycheck-to-paycheck survival mode, many gave up those second and or third jobs or are taking a break until they have to do that again. Others replaced those jobs with gig work or side hustles. There's your labor shortage. It's also why it is politicized so heavily and people tie it to inflation. The corps and elite want their wage slaves back in the yokes.

My son got laid off during the pandemic and he repairs automation robots in production facilities. He paired up with a couple of others and started two side hustles that so far are paying him more for much less time working and he feels free again. I don't see him going back, and there must be others doing something similar, maybe even a lot of them since we all went through this pandemic, many needing income.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Well, according to Ron Johnson, we need to get the retired to come back to the work force. One way he wants to help that is to put Medicare and social security on the chopping block annually.

What irks me about his stance is that I am actually someone who does embrace more of the free market ideology. Republicans like him do not, in my opinion, or they do it from a biased perspective.

At this point, we have a relatively huge wage and wealth gap. The pandemic enabled people to save money and whatnot, like you said. From a free market perspective, a substantial amount of the burden should fall on the employers to be more competitive. Some are excelling in this area (hence their vacancies have remained stable) and some are vastly struggling with turnover and retention.

Rather than let that sort out, Johnson has put forth an ideology to send people who have retired to get them back to work. From a tactical perspective, I am pretty perplexed by that because he’s targeting a population who is avid about voting.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
And you mentioned one thing I would like to expound on. Ever since the 1980's it has been the employer who has had the upper hand. They had no need to really raise wages to any great degree because the situation was to where they had the upper hand. An abundance of workers compared to available jobs. As with all things at some point the tide shifts. That's where we are now. Now there is an abundance of jobs and a shortage of workers. Now if employers don't raise wages and treat their employees well, those employees simply move in because now, it's they who have the options.

So it seems you have people saying things like "people don't want to work!" and "Those aren't skilled jobs so they don't deserve to make a living wage!".... rather than face the reality that if you don't pay them, they're not going to be there. And after almost 50 years of the lower and middle class going backwards, after a shrinking middle class for decades, after so many working over 40 hours a week and still not making a living wage, how can anyone really blame them?

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah it’s interesting to see how free market is only good when it benefits the people who advocate for it.

I still can’t get over it. “Hey, you know what’ll fix the economy? Make old people compete for jobs!”

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/04/22 04:16 AM.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I went to the range today for some fun and practice. I decided to bring a rifle instead of just the handgun. Shot 120 rounds of 5.56 and 100 of 9mm. On the way home I stopped for lunch and while eating decided to look at buy ammo to replace what I shot. I realized I shot between $100 and $150 worth..

Stupid expensive ammo prices.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I need to get back out to a range at some point. It’s been a while.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
It's the corps folks, been saying it forever, and Russell Brand nails it here. BTW, I don't like and don't understand how he went from progressive to whatever he calls his new position, but on this topic, not the left but corps, he is spot on. Weirdly, his channel now sounds like a center-right British Limbaugh or info wars.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/04/22 09:56 PM.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'd invite you to join me but you'd just make up an excuse about how long the drive is, how expensive the ammo is.. no time.. blah blah blah laugh

1 member likes this: dawglover05
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Or he might have better things to do than throw a hundred dollars downfield into the dirt. I haven't shot targets for 20 years, but I could pick up any gun I've shot a couple of times and put a slug in a thug. Currently, I could find at least a thousand better uses for that money. I guess it may be that I served and had to be a qualified marksman to pass, which gives me a sense of "I'm good." But thinking about it, that was a lifetime ago.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/04/22 10:24 PM.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You must be a blast at parties too...

I had a great time at the range, but yeah, I was surprised at home much it would cost to replace the ammo I used. I do find the actual process of being there and shooting to be relaxing.

What were you required to qualify with?

E
Legend
Legend
E
I'm going to the range on friday. I'm gonna shoot my ruger, beretta, and magnum. I have a giant sack of ammo waiting to be used. I havent been there in a while. Need to get back in the habit.

No Craps Given
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Colt 45 and Berreta 9mm

I hit the sweet spot between official models and had to qualify for both. But we only qualified, we were never assigned weapons on board our ship. We had marines for security.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FrankZ
I went to the range today for some fun and practice. I decided to bring a rifle instead of just the handgun. Shot 120 rounds of 5.56 and 100 of 9mm. On the way home I stopped for lunch and while eating decided to look at buy ammo to replace what I shot. I realized I shot between $100 and $150 worth..

Dude: you're a hobbyist.
All hobbies are expensive.

Quit whining.
You at least live a life that allows you to have hobbies.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Clemdawg

Quit whining.

lol right. that's like me whining about car parts for the ride i already knew was gonna be expensive to mod.

and just for reference Clem, these dudes was ALREADY whining about the cost of ammo even BEFORE the pandemic. they out here whining just because.

- Theodore Roosevelt
1 member likes this: Clemdawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Quit whining.

lol right. that's like me whining about car parts for the ride i already knew was gonna be expensive to mod.

and just for reference Clem, these dudes was ALREADY whining about the cost of ammo even BEFORE the pandemic. they out here whining just because.[/quote]

Not whining I just realized how bad it is has gotten. I buy ammo by the case when I order so it has been a while since I needed to order any.

And can you show me where I was "whining" about the cost of ammo from before the pandemic? Yeah, didn't think so.

t really is interesting how the usual players can take anything and turn it into argument.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Colt 45 and Berreta 9mm

I hit the sweet spot between official models and had to qualify for both. But we only qualified, we were never assigned weapons on board our ship. We had marines for security.

I read somewhere that the modern sailor qualifies with a handgun and a shotgun now, but still no rifles cause they are bad on ships.

My niece is AF and went through basic last year. She had to qual on an M4 but then nothing in her school since she is a medic. I think the likelihood of her picking up another government owned weapon is next to zero, noth withstanding everything turning to complete crapola.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Target shooting is a fun hobby. I don't do it as often as I did when I was younger. But man, in the 90's you could buy an SKS for under $100 and cases of ammo for it for under $100 too. That made it good for cheap target shooting as well as making for a good investment.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
My old man had the ability to reload pretty much any shell he had a gun for. Target shooting was a regular thing in my youth. I just had to help him in the reloading process.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I've thought about getting into reloading but we live in a semi-detached which means I can't store powder in the house. I'd have to store it in an outbuilding and I don't trust the lock on the shed door.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
You could change the doors/locks on your out building and make it work if you really were adamant about reloading. Unfortunately theft in modern times is a real concern.
It was different times for us. We lived in the boondocks of NW Ohio. We also had a pet Doberman that ran the property off leash. She weighed 110 pounds. Having reloading equipment stolen wasn’t too much of a concern for us. We never locked the door. Even when we’d go on vacation.
Different times.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We have an 8x8 Amish shed out there. The lock really is a suggestion and even something heftier wouldn't deter anyone that wants in. We haven't had anyone break into the shed but I don't have anything out there that I would risk.

There is a bit of a convenience hassle to overcome to get to the point of reloading that I am just not ready to tackle. We have discussed a move to more open spaces and I'd likely have the ability to set up for reloading in that eventuality.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
We had a 150+ yard range on our land. Earth backed railroad ties. Our home sat on the high part of our land. The embankment was on the far side of a small valley in the back of our property. Built slightly into the slope. I could sit on the picnic table in our yard area next to the trailer and shoot down range.
I put a ton of lead into those ties over the years. It’s how I spent many afternoons after school as a kid. If the fish weren’t biting in the river, or the water wasn’t warm enough to ski, I was often honing my marksmanship. It was one of the few things my stepdad and I bonded over when I was a kid. (Later in my life, as an adult, we had an incredible father/son relationship. RIP old man. Miss you everyday.)

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: mgh888
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Colt 45 and Berreta 9mm

I read somewhere that the modern sailor qualifies with a handgun and a shotgun now, but still no rifles cause they are bad on ships.

My niece is AF and went through basic last year. She had to qual on an M4 but then nothing in her school since she is a medic. I think the likelihood of her picking up another government owned weapon is next to zero, noth withstanding everything turning to complete crapola.

Yeah, I don't recall enlisted sailors ever carrying unless they were SP/MP or part of military justice. On an aircraft carrier, I have no idea what the hell we would have even used them for. We had a Marine contingent of like 135 jarheads.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Haha, well you know it’s a long drive and I got so much going on wink

Last time I was at a range was my buddy’s bachelor party in Jacksonville. Mostly fired off 30-06.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by dawglover05
I need to get back out to a range at some point. It’s been a while.

Me too, brother!

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
1 member likes this: dawglover05
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Where do people even go around here?

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Inflation is coming down. smh.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/20/22 03:49 AM.

Legend
Legend
jc

boy china's economic is going through it right now. we out here in america whining about convenience in our daily lives. we gotta remember we are going through a GLOBAL economic crisis. the issues are specific to one country, but DAMN does it have far more negative effects in some places than others.

this is why i was telling you guys china aint about to go to war with us. our economies are far too tied in together to be going to war over taiwan. yall was really out here thinking they were gonna invade just cause russia did. we had members of congress flying over just to troll, and all they did was be mad. and they're literally SURROUNDED by US allies. like who were they really gonna pull up on?

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Sigh…the economy... Part 3

Link Copied to Clipboard