R
Legend
Legend
R
Cross fingers...no appeals.

Legend
Legend
Ok.

All that remains is the NFL agreeing to the number and not appealing.

Given the NFLPA made it clear it would not appeal. It would be a spit in the eye if the NFL overrules her and the process.

M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
The decision is in. The Browns will be without Watson for 6 games this season. Thoughts? The NFL wanted him suspended for the whole season. We will see if they appeal.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Can Watson still participate in training camp, or does he have to leave now?

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Six too many. The owners get off without any punishment.....I don't get it. At least it wasn't longer. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Accept the 6 game suspension Goodell and let's move on. This has been dragged out way too long

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
1 member likes this: Dawg Citizen
2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

I get the feeling this drama is not over yet. Goodell doesn't seem to be the type to not get his way.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
M
Legend
Legend
M
Six games is a reasonable suspension. Season is still salvageable with a six game suspension. Brissett needs to have the team at 4-2 when Watson returns.

Need to get off to a fast start for the season not to be lost.

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by Dawg Citizen

From what I understand he can practice and play in the preseason but can't when the regular season starts.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
Legend
Legend
If the NFL appeals then the NFLPA can then appeal and take the NFL to a federal court.

This would extend the whole process for an indefinite amount of time something that the NFL would probably not want.

Six games when you read the Personal Conduct Policy is the starting point of a violation against the policy.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Six games is a reasonable suspension. Season is still salvageable with a six game suspension. Brissett needs to have the team at 4-2 when Watson returns.

Need to get off to a fast start for the season not to be lost.

With a cupcake schedule to start the season the record will be entirely determined by Stefanski. You know my feelings on him. I'm not holding my breath but would love to be proven wrong. He simply has to out coach the likes of Saleh, Rhule, Smith, etc. with a supremely more talented team. If we exit the 6 games less than 4-2 you'll start hearing some "rumors".

V
Legend
Legend
V

Watson can participate in TC and play in preseason games. If the suspension stays at 6 games, he will have to stay away from the team for the first 3 games and then be allowed to return the team in week 4 and be eligible to play in week 7.

M
Legend
Legend
M
It’ll be interesting to see how Stefanski divides up the reps between Brissett and Watson moving forward in training camp.

It’s unfortunate that Bell and now, Schwartz, are not getting the reps to develop chemistry with either QB.

Depending on how Stefanski divides the reps up moving forward, the lost time developing a chemistry between the receivers/TEs and Watson could carry into the season.

M
Legend
Legend
M
So Watson Got Off easy .... Again.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
I've been of the opinion that he's done what he's accused of.... One woman, ahh,, not so much... 30 or more,, there is smoke.

Having said that, he's settled a bunch of these suits.. To me that could either indicate he knows he's guilty... Or, it could be a means to an end to just get this crap overwith. I honestly don't know which.

So, here we are, barring an appeal by anyone, All we need is for Jacoby to lead us to 3 to 4 wins, and then we are off to the races.... Not sure how much faith I have in Brissett.. We shall see.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
UST like I typed, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY- note, Watson has settled with ALL but one, and she was offered $100,000 but wanted more. I still think he got hosed......Owners held to a higher standard....baloney....Watson isn't pure, but he should have gotten what the owners got....NO Punishment.....Go Browns!!! PS, eventually, the PLAYERS will know they have the power. One of these cases will cause a work stoppage....ie NO GAMES, wonder how long it would take settle then....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
M
Legend
Legend
M

R
Legend
Legend
R
NFL Network going full self righteous mode.

Some reporter named Judy Battista seemed like she was about to cry while citing numerous non factual parts of the case and editorializing her report.

Oh boy.

M
Legend
Legend
M
No more massages outside the team!

Legend
Legend
IMO it is important to look at the process that was agreed upon by the NFL and NFLPA.

Then look at Robinson who was approved by both parties.

She then listened to DW for 3 days. Then the NFL and the NFLPA presented everything relevant to her in a written format.

She is a former federal judge who has heard thousands of cases.

She made her ruling.

3 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Ballpeen, jfanent
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
The decision is in. The Browns will be without Watson for 6 games this season. Thoughts? The NFL wanted him suspended for the whole season. We will see if they appeal.

92.3 is reporting he can practice TC & pre-season. Not practicing during season until after week 3. Not sure I have it exactly right, but very close.

Sorry I should have read further down as others answered.

Last edited by FORTBROWNFAN; 08/01/22 09:15 AM.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN

92.3 is reporting he can practice TC & pre-season. Not practicing during season until after week 3. Not sure I have it exactly right, but very close.

You have it right. I posted this earlier in response to the original question.

Watson can participate in TC and play in preseason games. If the suspension stays at 6 games, he will have to stay away from the team for the first 3 games and then be allowed to return the team in week 4 and be eligible to play in week 7.

Obviously, that will change if the NFL appeals and the suspension is lengthened. For example, if they suspend him for 10 games, Watson would not be able to return to practice after week 5 and then play in week 11.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Personally, given the evidence and looking at precedence, I think 6 games is too much. The season is probably lost. However, I think having Judge Robinson determine the punishment has to be more fair than it would have been before the new agreement. Of course, the NFL can still appeal and lengthen the suspension.

R
Legend
Legend
R
It's being reported Watson's side is not happy with the 6 games...implying they expected less.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Lets go Browns!!!

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
I’ve thought it would be between 4-8 games for quite some time, so 6 is in the middle.

I also think it is VERY interesting to see what the NFL does. There are benefits to appealing and benefits to not appealing.

IF they appeal and Goodell ups the punishment to 12 games or whatever, get ready for a lawsuit from the NFLPA … and that will drag out as long.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think the NFL won't appeal. And Watson will settle the last case ASAP out of court. There is a reason that 2 grand juries found no evidence to send the cases to a trail. And now a much shorter suspension than league proposed. The evidence just does not support what the court of public opinion thinks about the case. Heck we have posters on this board that don't know jack about the case except what they hear from the media and they call him rapey and predator. That is just wrong. The court of public opinion should not exist. Let the facts speak for themselves and in this case they seem to be speaking over and over. Bottom line is he should not have been ordering and receiving these kind of massages and his behavior was inappropriate. But not violent and not thratening so he is not who some of our posters are referring to him as.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Personally, given the evidence and looking at precedence, I think 6 games is too much. The season is probably lost. However, I think having Judge Robinson determine the punishment has to be more fair than it would have been before the new agreement. Of course, the NFL can still appeal and lengthen the suspension.

True, 0-4 games would have been preferable, but I don't think that we will conceded the season over six games.

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I’m betting the NFL takes it up to some much higher number which allows them to look like the good, responsible guy with their ear to ground, Watson and NFLPA then do in fact appeal and we end up at 8 games. I don’t think this is over by a long shot

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend
The schedule certainly was set up favorably for us to tread water for the first 6 weeks (so part of me thinks this was going to be the outcome for a while).

We play Carolina, NY Jets, Pittsburgh (at home on a short week), Atlanta, and then two tough games but both at home.

The NFL is providing us the easiest possible stretch of games … and then Watson gets a TOUGH start to his Cleveland career, but it’s a fighting chance for us.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

True, 0-4 games would have been preferable, but I don't think that we will conceded the season over six games.

Looking at the quality of the first 4 opponents, and the quality of our defense and run game, hopefully we can weather the storm at around 4-2 through those 6 games.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FORTBROWNFAN
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg

Looking at the quality of the first 4 opponents, and the quality of our defense and run game, hopefully we can weather the storm at around 4-2 through those 6 games.
It’s imperative because if you look at the games after DeShaun returns … YIKES (at Baltimore, Cincinnati, at Miami, at Buffalo, Tampa Bay)

1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
Legend
Legend
j/c:

I figured it would be between 6 & 8 games. 6 seems fair to me. I'm real happy it wasn't for all season, like a few of us thought a few weeks ago. Go Browns!

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
What will Roger do ?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
I do think it is over.

This was part of the negotiated process between the NFL and NFLPA. The reason was to remove Goodell from being a sole decision maker with no legal background.

The NFLPA stuck the stake in the ground with their announcement just prior to today's ruling that they would not appeal Robinson's ruling.
Sue Robinson is "her" name.

For Goodell to overrule "her" would be like ripping up the CBA. In addition it would prolong the process that has been on going for an already excessive amount of time.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I think 6 games is all right. It should just end at that. It's gone on way to long and shouldn't be prolonged. Case closed.

P
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
P
Anyone have a link to her 15 page conclusion? That is what I am interested in seeing.

I saw a couple quotes...just a snippet of a snippet...."In explaining her decision to the parties involved, Robinson determined that Watson’s “pattern of behavior was egregious” but that he engaged in “nonviolent sexual conduct.”". 6 games is the minimum, I believe. And I believe she felt that his conduct that was presented met the 50/50 requirement that it probably occurred and she felt it violated the conduct policy. And again, we don't know what that conduct was...we don't know what was presented to her.

But without much information...It appears, she felt he violated the policy but not so much as to give more than the minimum suspension...

I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken...

What's the use of wearing your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????
Legend
Legend
I agree Pete

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Watson Suspended 6 Games

Link Copied to Clipboard