Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1959748 08/01/22 11:30 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
If the suspension remains six games(I believe it will).

The impact at the end should not have that much effect.

If you lose your starting quarterback for six games you should be good enough to overcome that if you have a good team.

We won games last season with a quarterback who was hurt and ineffective.

With this team and JB playing quarterback and the team behind him including a top defense. We should win games that includes any of the six games JB will start.

Next man up. All teams lose players to injury or other suspensions, covid whatever.

I will make no excuses for the Browns. Go out there play hard and win games. The roster IMO is good enough to make the playoffs.

bonefish #1959803 08/01/22 01:52 PM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Teams will stack the box against Brissett, forcing him to throw. With the questions we have at WR - the outlet receivers, the RBs catching the ball and the 2 TEs will have to really step up.

The 6 game difference should be if we can execute the short pass game, have time-consuming drives on offense that result in TDs not FGs, not being down by 7 points or more at the beginning of the4th quarter, and the defense staying healthy.

Brissett does not have to win games for us, he just can't lose them. Not a lot of room of error with him. It'll be interesting to see how Stefanski calls those 6 games.

3-3 wouldn't be disastrous. But 2-4 going into a tough stretch and (as others have said) Watson not having played a game in a long time - that could mean real trouble. On to hopes and expectations for next season.

Just don't want to see Rosen or Dobbs.

AZBrown #1959806 08/01/22 01:58 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I will wait till I see how JB looks thru camp and pre-season.

I have not seen enough of him. What is out there on tape is decent. But this is now and with this team so I will wait.

We have a great OL and RB's. We have enough at TE and receiver to be at least average.

I feel good about the defense and special teams.

So we play six games one at a time. See what happens.

bonefish #1959807 08/01/22 02:02 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
This would probably be a better thread to start after the NFL makes a decision on whether they are going to appeal or not.

bonefish #1959809 08/01/22 02:07 PM
Legend
Legend
somebody posted it earlier, but what are who are our opp the first 6 games? can Brissett manage the team well enough to have a .500 or better record?

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1959833 08/01/22 03:11 PM
2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by Swish
somebody posted it earlier, but what are who are our opp the first 6 games? can Brissett manage the team well enough to have a .500 or better record?

This is the NFL, we won't know what those 6 opponents really are until about week 4 anyway. Teams improve and get worse every off season. Most are saying they have a soft schedule to start, but we don't know those teams until they hit the field.

Week 1 @Panthers
Week 2 Jets
Week 3 Steelers(Thursday night)
Week 4 @Falcons
Week 5 Chargers
Week 6 Patriots

So, 6 games, 4 at home, imo, is more important than who they are facing at this point. I will say right now though, facing the Steelers the 3rd game of the season on a short week, they will have the advantage even if it is at home. Their system has been in place for years, having a short week will not effect them as much as us. That will be a true test of what the actual roster as a whole can accomplish. I don't think their roster has changed the last two years as much as any of the other 5 opponents has. One thing that IS on the Browns side... 4 of those teams also have QB questions they are trying to answer in 2022 and they all come in the first 4 games. If the Browns start 1-3 or 0-4, you might as well start looking to see what draft pick they have in 2023.

IrishDawg42 #1959837 08/01/22 03:26 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
JB is as good or better as the quarterbacks we face in the first four games.

The Chargers and Pats will be different type games. We will have to play really well and get some turnovers.

The reality is we don't know how JB will play with this team.

So, it goes back to the cliches of next man up and play them one game at a time.

IrishDawg42 #1959838 08/01/22 03:27 PM
Legend
Legend
i think both who we are facing , and the # of home games are important. those first 4 games are very manageable. its *possible* we can go 3-1 or 4-0, and end up 3-3 or 4-2 when watson returns.

dont even know who's starting for the panthers. wilson has to show the same interest in maturing on the field as he does the cougars off the field. steelers D will be good, but their offense looks messy. Falcons have little talent, a bad defense, and Mariota at QB.

dropping 2 in a row to the chargers and patriots is whatever.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Swish #1959895 08/01/22 04:51 PM
Legend
Legend
There are three ways to weigh this six weeks... Positive scenario, negative scenario, typical "what can Brown do for you" scenario...

Week 1 @Panthers
Week 2 Jets
Week 3 Steelers(Thursday night)
Week 4 @Falcons
Week 5 Chargers
Week 6 Patriots

We'll lose to either the Panthers or Jets and get smacked by the Steelers on Thursday night. We'll be 1-2, the sky will be falling, the media will have a field day...

We'll beat the Falcons and then upset one the next two to give us all hope at 3-3.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1959901 08/01/22 05:35 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
The link includes a graph that has statistical probability for an NFL team to make the playoffs at a given point in the season based off their record.

Percentage chance to make the playoffs:

2-4 = 20%
3-3 = 42%
4-2 = 67%

Percentage chance to win the division:

2-4 = 9%
3-3 = 20%
4-2 = 38%

I think the Browns have to be 4-2 when Watson returns or it'll be quite the uphill battle. I'd have my doubts if the Browns were sitting at 3-3, especially considering the schedule weeks 7-12.

https://operations.nfl.com/gameday/...enough-to-make-this-year-s-nfl-playoffs/

Milk Man #1959903 08/01/22 05:45 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't want to offer an opinion on how the Browns will do until I hear if the NFL appeals or not. They could still increase the suspension.

I will say that we probably should consider just how good the AFC is.

Allen, Burrow, Lamar, Mahomes, Herbert, Russ, Carr, and even Matty Ice on a loaded Colts team.

Teams added key players like K. Mack, Gregory, J.C. Jackson, Armstead, D. Adams, V. Miller, L. Collins, A. Cappa, C. Jones, J. Reid, etc.

The AFC is brutal.

bonefish #1959905 08/01/22 05:57 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Isn't it funny how this helps the Patriots, hmm imagine that, in their playoff race against the ravens, because in back to back weeks the Patriots will play Brissett, and Baltimore will have to play Deshaun. Hmm, almost like the schedule makers knew and planned it.
Also, if this sticks, Watson would be eligible to play for 2 games, and then have the bye week.
The Season:
1. At Carolina, as I was told by Bengal fan. ( Baker is tuff but I know he's tuff when he's angry'd off! I wouldn't want to be your guys week one). so, loss.
2. Jets, hopefully the Browns squeak out a win, it's the home opener, and the defense alone could maybe ... Win!
3. Steelers, ( the steeler home game.) Browns will lose because the NFL, the NFL isn't a fair league, C'mon. Loss.
4. At the Falcons, hopefully the Browns squeak out a win at the Falcons, hopefully. Win. 2-2
5. LA Chargers in Cleveland. ... The NFL won't let the Browns win that. Loss ( And there goes the playoff hunt)
6. Patriots in Cleveland, ... hmm, oh the one year in 5 the Pats have to come to Cleveland, the NFL worked it out so they get to face a backup QB who they knew well from Indy, so, Patriots get manufactured luck, loss. 2-4

Then the suspension ends. and this week Watson will make his debut, against the Ravens week 7
Week 7, at Baltimore, with it's 60 mph crosswinds on FG tries, selectively, Browns lose, 2-5, (Oh how many years do they start 2-5 it ought to be on a postage stamp or something)
Week 8, the game before the bye, But Watson's 2nd game,
Week 8 Bengals game, Browns Win, Browns 3-5 into the bye. Yet mostly out of the playoff hunt.

Week 9 the bye week. ...

Week 10 At the Dolphins, Browns might win it. 4-5
Week 11 At the Bills, Browns actually win this game and not the previous, either way, 4-6
Week 12. Buccaneers in Cleveland, oh they play So well, so well, in a loss, 4-7
Week 13, At the Texans, ( If Baker had his revenge game, Deshaun ... if he's playing, would have his this game, and the Browns get to 5-7 oh their hopes are alive if only like playing the lottery ...
Week 14. At the Bengals, Loss, they split with the Bengals, ... 5-8
Week 15, Ravens, the home Ravens game, with a little help from the NFL, and on script, the Browns get a win, to go to 6-8
... at this point. There are 3 games remaining
Week 16. Saints
Week 17 At Washington
Week 18. At Steelers, ... all they'll have to do is win all 3 to remain in the hunt, and hopefully go on and win that super bowl...

What will actually happen, ( I think) is they'll be so uplifted to beat the Ravens, they split with the Ravens, Split with the Bengals, they'll be so uplifted they'll go OOPS against the Saints and go to 6-9
Being out of the Playoffs and on the road against the Washington, they'll probably get a win 7-9
Then they'll finish up at the Steelers... 7-10

It is what it is, they'll have to do better than that^ if they expect to make the playoffs at all........

Last edited by THROW LONG; 08/01/22 06:02 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
cfrs15 #1959909 08/01/22 06:19 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by cfrs15
This would probably be a better thread to start after the NFL makes a decision on whether they are going to appeal or not.
It's in the perfect spot to help Los Angeles, New York, the Patriots, and Atlanta, in their playoff hunts against other teams
Any more games would take that advantage away, so, if one assumes the NFL wants those teams to succeed, (which I think is a reasonable assumption), then it's in the perfect spot and the NFL wouldn't appeal anything.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
bonefish #1960311 08/03/22 09:54 AM
Legend
Legend
I’d take 3-3 (assuming Watson is only suspended 6 games).

The stretch when he returns is BRUTAL though

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
bonefish #1960565 08/03/22 11:53 PM
T
tpz Offline
Rookie
Rookie
T
I think brisett will do just fine. This season. The whole thing.

cfrs15 #1960566 08/03/22 11:54 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by cfrs15

Smart guy.

bonefish #1960570 08/04/22 01:17 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
The season is over.

Rishuz #1960573 08/04/22 06:05 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Rishuz
The season is over.

It hasn't even started.

I am not as gloom and doom as some. We almost won our division with the "crappy" Baker playing last year. We can call it the injured baker so as not to cause argument on that front.

I think Brissett is at least as good as that, probably a bit better since Brissett knows his limitations while the "injured" Baker was trying to play like the "uninjured" Baker .

We have a good team. I think our D is good enough to win some games pretty much alone. I can see us limiting teams to 10 or less points 2-3 times this season. 20 or less another 3-4 times.

The O has a solid run game and should have a good short to mid range passing game. As long as the D keeps us out of shootouts needing 35-40 points, we should be in games. Add in a new kicker....yes, we won't know until he actually starts making kicks, but early results are looking up, we should have a good chance against anybody.

Even if Brissett goes the full season I see us winning around 11 games. A few bad bounces or missed kicks,maybe a few less, a few good bounces and made kicks, maybe 1-2 more.....be it some close games.

I am not sure Watson would carry us to all that many more wins, but he would increase the margin of those wins so it could be we would win 2-4 more games because the margin would eliminate a few of those last second defeats.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Rishuz #1960574 08/04/22 07:26 AM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The season is over.

rish...no, the season is not over..!

The Browns actually planned for the possibility that they might not have Watson for the 2022 season and imo, Brissett is fully capable being the Browns #1.

Add a strong running game and a solid defense and the Browns should be capable of winning every game Brissett starts.

Training camp is just getting started so this idea that the season is over because one man might not see the field for a while simply defies common sense. Browns fans are not the sort that give up easily...keep that in mind, rish...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Ballpeen #1960576 08/04/22 08:02 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I hope you're right, but I don't see it. Plus, this would have to mean four things happen...

1. Stefanski is good and can out coach the other side. Still a question mark.
2. Woods is good and can get the defense playing like the legion of boom. Big question mark.
3. The defense gets a nasty attitude and actually plays like the legion of boom because a group of those players refuse to lose. I don't think the defense has those types of personalities.
4. Njoku becomes the best tight end in the league because the Browns have next to nothing in the passing game. Very unlikely.

Plus, when the team figures out they have no chance to win, the injury bug will hit them hard.

Strap yourselves up. It's going to be a long, very unenjoyable season. Stefanski will take the fall at the end of the year, and although the Watson mess isn't his fault he'll likely deserve it because he can't raise the level of play of the team.

This is why the QB is so important. Lafleur is the winningest coach in the history of the NFL in his first three years and no one thinks he's a good coach. QBs cover up so many warts.

I'm not mad at the Browns for the gamble. Baker wasn't good enough and didn't work hard enough. They weren't going to win with him, make multiple playoffs, etc. But the gamble didn't pay off. The result will be a pretty sub standard product on the field.

The only thing that could save the season is trading for Jimmy G, but Berry has such a fascination with carrying over cap space that it's probably not.going to happen. They'll sell us on riding with Brissett until about week 4 when we are 1-3 and Stefanski starts showing up to press conferences with that shell shocked look he had most of the second half of last year. And round and round we'll go until the end of a miserable season with 8 months to wait until the next one...and probably still no answers at quarterback.

1 member likes this: Floquinho
bonefish #1960581 08/04/22 08:18 AM
V
Legend
Legend
V
The AFC is loaded w/excellent teams and there are a ton of great qbs. We won't have a great qb.

Rishuz #1960584 08/04/22 08:25 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think :

1. Stefanski is a very good play caller - we'll see if he has overcome some of the issues we saw his first two years in play calling and game management.
2 & 3. Woods has got better and better after what I thought was a slow and conservative start. I don't know that he is the type of coach to play like the legion of Boom - but I think we are stacked on D and could easily be a top 5 defense. I think we will see a change and we won't play not to lose like we have before.
4. I don't see Njoku as 'the' top TE in the NFL. But he can be good enough. I like our WR more than you. Hopefully we keep some of them healthy - a healthy Cooper, DPJ and Bell would be a solid WR core.

I don't get the thought process that JG would be good enough - but Baker wasn't ... Watson is a clear upgrade over both of them, but JG and Baker are pretty similar in terms of performance. JG might have a higher level of play floor - but a lower ceiling. Unless of course you you judge BM on an injured season, which I don't. But I don't have faith in Brissett and losing Watson for an entire season (or 10 games) to me has always meant the trade was a bad move and would waste a year for too many great players whop are in their prime - The OL, Cooper, Chubb and Hunt, MG, JOK, Ward, Newsome, Greedy, JJ3. We'll see. Can only hope for the best. I've watched much worse Browns teams for many years, watched every play of every game when they didn't stand a chance. I'll be watching this year too.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1960588 08/04/22 08:42 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I think last year was my least enjoyable year in the past 10 or 15 years. To have that much talent and such high expectations and to crap the bed the way they did, I literally watched every game in silence. I didn't cheer when they did well. I didn't get mad when they did poorly. I knew the quarterback did not give them a chance to win and the season was going to be a waste. The only hope to win on a weekly basis was to get a big lead and hope they could hold on. If we fell behind, even in the first half, I knew we were done. It's just tough to get up to watch that. Hard to get excited. I know you disagree, but we saw Baker revert to the mean right before our eyes. It just felt hopeless on a week to week basis.

Contrast that with 1-31. The team was trying to lose. You knew they had no shot every week. You watch hoping for the best feeling like the future is bright because you'll have the number one overall pick and we'll be able to take what you hope is the next franchise QB. There's at least some excitement in that.

Now we are in 6-11 to 7-10 purgatory. I just can't get excited for that.

bonefish #1960625 08/04/22 10:38 AM
Legend
Legend
I can agree that Brissett can be better than last year’s version of Baker.

The problem becomes that the AFC is stacked. I see 7-8 wins, which as we all know doesn’t mean much.

The other concern: this will be two FULL years without Watson playing a down.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
bonefish #1960674 08/04/22 02:08 PM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
j/c:

If Brissett doesn't stay healthy for 6 to10 to17 games (or whatever), Rosen or Dobbs is our new quarterback. Just one big hit away.

I guess I'm a little worried.

Too much to overcome even with our O-line and running game? Not sure defense has enough depth.

I don't know.

AZBrown #1960677 08/04/22 02:22 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I posted how I felt in another thread but ill reiterate it here. Noone really knows how it will all turn out. Adam Schefter when asked said a lot is still up in the air and there are many variables involved. My opinion: without DW we are looking at a 6-7 win season. with him for the whole year 11-12 wins and we know that won't happen. Another lost year with all this talent. What a shame!!!

tpz #1960741 08/04/22 07:33 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by tpz
I think brisett will do just fine. This season. The whole thing.

THE NFL STINKS

bonefish #1960799 08/05/22 08:44 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Last year...in the 2nd Qtr of game #2...I looked at my buddy and said "There went the season". So Browns fate-ish. We thought that was awful...then fate said "hold my beer"...except it wasn't fate this time...we went and did it to ourselves.

It's time to put DW on ice for the rest of TC...and go after Jimmy G.

WSU Willie #1960833 08/05/22 11:08 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I just don't think Berry is going to do the Jimmy G thing. He should but he won't for two reasons ...

1. Arrogance. I 100% believe they think they can win with Brissett. When the Browns are 2-6 and their jobs are on the line, they'll wish they had rethought that.

2. Rollover cap space. Berry loves roll over cap space. At some point, you have to use it. You have a better chance of winning one championship in 20 years than going to the Super Bowl multiple times. Sustained success where you are playing in multiple Super Bowls is an urban myth unless of course you are the Patriots. The Rams will not sniff another Super Bowl with that group. Hell, their coach and best player wanted to retire after the season.

Rishuz #1960837 08/05/22 11:28 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Twitter has been a goldmine this morning. Someone floated getting Kaepernick.

YOLO!

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Rishuz #1960898 08/05/22 02:50 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think you and Balpeen in the earlier responses miss the most important aspect of this season. Injuries.

Yes, Baker stunk last year (not interested in debating the why's behind that, but the end results speak for themselves to the point where I think we can all agree). Yes the D stunk out of the gate and lost us a couple games. But the biggest thing that kept us out was the injuries, particularly to the Oline.

We have a talented team, and as long as they can stay on the field more than last year (which is a pretty low bar to clear), then we should do significantly better. A healthy Brisset vs a dinged Baker could make for fine debate (but probably not right now)... but I think that overall point is moot. We need to stay healthier, and it's hard to believe that we won't.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
oobernoober #1960902 08/05/22 03:02 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
I like the glass half full take, and I hope you are right.

But I just don't see it. We still have an unproven coach going into just his third year and a journeyman backup QB as our starter. If you've watched enough football over the years, and not just the Browns, you know that you are already starting at a disadvantage.

And we don't have a Ray Lewis type on the team that will help the coach raise the level of play of their teammates, keep guys motivated and bought in, and help to win in unconventional ways ... e.g., I keep saying if the defense can really establish an identity that might be good enough to overcome Brissett. What we will get instead when the going gets tough is guys hanging their heads, loss of effort, and a ton of mystery injuries. Those are the types of teams we usually field in Cleveland.

The other thing to consider is teams are going to sell out to stop the run, and we don't have any receivers. Deshaun was going to be able to help mitigate that because of his escapability, but Brissett won't. It's going to get ugly.

I HOPE I am wrong in the worst way. Admittedly, I am a pessimist by nature. However, if we had Deshaun all season I would be on here expecting playoffs. I just feel like I've watched enough football in my life that some of this becomes pretty predictable.

Again, I would like nothing more than to be wrong. I just want to enjoy watching the Browns play on Sunday and win football games.

Rishuz #1960906 08/05/22 03:40 PM
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
The other thing to consider is teams are going to sell out to stop the run, and we don't have any receivers. Deshaun was going to be able to help mitigate that because of his escapability, but Brissett won't. It's going to get ugly.

This.

Though I'm hoping DPJ and Njoku surprise us.

Rishuz #1960913 08/05/22 04:32 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't think we will stink. I do think that we went from a legit Super Bowl contender w/Watson to a team that might be able to have a winning record.

I doubt that we will get worse QB play than we had last year. Jacoby can't make others better or overcome other issues, but he won't take as many needless sacks as Baker and he will probably take better care of the ball. Our OL is elite. Our RBs are elite. And I think Cooper is a good WR.

I really disagree w/you about Stefanski. I like his scheme. I think he dials up a ton of short passes and and pounds the rock w/Brissett. I think his use of the ZBS is very good. Dude was NFL coach of the year just two years ago.

I think our defense improved as the year progressed and it should be even better this upcoming year.

I am not arguing w/you and I hope you don't think that. I'm so sick of the contentious behavior in this forum. I'm just trying to have a discussion w/you and I'm not calling you out or anything. Hell, I'm not even try to convince you. Different opinions are good. Just trying to talk some football.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I don' take it as arguing. I actually hope you are right, and I am wrong.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
bonefish #1960930 08/05/22 05:29 PM
C
Legend
Legend
C
The year depends on which Jacoby Brissett shows up. 2019 Jacoby Brissett was about a league average QB (which would be a huge upgrade over the 2021 QB play). 2021 Jacoby Brissett was awful and worse than our 2021 play. With the talent we have on the roster we can win quite a few games with a QB who just doesn't screw things up.

Rishuz #1960937 08/05/22 06:09 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
My main worry is whether JB can come out of the gate looking like he's been in this offense for years or if he looks like he got handed the playbook on the bus on the way to the game. Being a smart guy and knowing plays is one thing but comfort, consistency and timing is another. In every position group, we should be better.

TE - no more Hooper
RB - Chubb and Hunt spent lots of time out, especially Hunt
WR - Landry was beat up all year and DPJ was our #1 for large chunks
OL - down 3 OTs for chunks, and Wills was on a bum ankle from like halfway through week 1
FB - lol

I'm not at all discounting anything that you're saying. My argument is simply that, the overwhelming probability is that our injury situation will be nowhere near last year, and that should more than cover any deficit at QB (which shouldn't be that big of a deficit either because Baker was injured/stunk too).

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I don't think we will stink.
The Browns could be 3-9 if Jacoby Brissett is the all year starter, 3-9 going into the final 5 games.
If they catch some breaks,
of course I think they could also be 0-12, or I-II or 2-I0, or 3-9

Of Course, if the NFL outcomes are fixed, as we'll almost never see a team railroad another team 59-0, (unless it's the browns..)
the nfl could just fix the outcomes to something more middle of the road.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 08/05/22 08:48 PM.

oobernoober #1960977 08/06/22 05:32 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by oobernoober
My main worry is whether JB can come out of the gate looking like he's been in this offense for years or if he looks like he got handed the playbook on the bus on the way to the game. Being a smart guy and knowing plays is one thing but comfort, consistency and timing is another. In every position group, we should be better.

TE - no more Hooper
RB - Chubb and Hunt spent lots of time out, especially Hunt
WR - Landry was beat up all year and DPJ was our #1 for large chunks
OL - down 3 OTs for chunks, and Wills was on a bum ankle from like halfway through week 1
FB - lol

I'm not at all discounting anything that you're saying. My argument is simply that, the overwhelming probability is that our injury situation will be nowhere near last year, and that should more than cover any deficit at QB (which shouldn't be that big of a deficit either because Baker was injured/stunk too).

We could have the same problem with Watson, or Cooper, or anybody else for that matter. The starting gate for any number of teams can prove problematic.

I just think that no matter as to the why's, that has been debated enough, we were pretty close to winning the division last year with a QB who didn't play well all season.

At least in my mind there is no reason why we can't win games with Brissett at the helm. In some ways we could be even better because we will have a QB who knows his limitations rather than have a QB trying to be a QB who thought he was better than he actually was...for whatever reason. I also think the coaching staff will also have moderated expectations on what the QB can do which makes a difference in the approach the staff takes with the gameplan and actual play calls.

As an example, it might dictate that we opt to kick the field goal and take the 3 points rather than go for it on 4th and 4 on the 30 yard line.

As you pointed out, injury is also a big wildcard, so you never know how that is going to go, but we did have a lot of injuries last year. I don't like to say probably because things could be worse this year, but we probably won't be hit with injury as deeply as last season.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #1961004 08/06/22 09:43 AM
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Watson is the undisputed leader of the offense team etc. But who is going to step
Up and be that one that can galvanize the team and locker room while he is suspended?
This team in the past has shown it tends to falter and crumble when adversity
Rears itself.

The Browns can make the playoffs but the margins are very narrow
One of my concerns is that the Browns are weak up the middle on defense
Yeah yeah the Browns can run the ball as well any offense in the league
But other teams will do the same to the Browns.
Woods wants to have 5 defensive backs on the field more so than 3 LBers.
If teams can gash the Browns on the ground, then he has to play more base 4-3

Stefanski will have to ask his WRs to really step up this year. Its a passing
League. The Browns simply cannot take a 1985 gameplan and get to the playoffs
On that scheme.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum The Season

Link Copied to Clipboard