Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Then after considering it, forget that you considered it and move on.

1 member likes this: AZBrown
All Pro
All Pro
Praise the Lord! We’re in God’s hand.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thank you for showing how, without a codified definition, the CBA is arbitrary and capricious.

Texas requires penetation and lack of consent with they define mainly as with coercion or threats.

I'll take the legal definition over no definition or a simple lay definition as authoritative.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Sadly for you this isn't the TFL... Texas Football League... It's the NFL... National Football League. As such they set a standard that is more appropriate on a national level rather than one of the most stringent laws defining sexual assault in the nation.

You've also accused the NFL of making up the definition based on this case. As has been shown to you this definition is widely accepted and not something the NFL just made up on the fly.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
j/c...

The start of the 2021 season, fresh off a trip to the playoffs...

Go back in time and imagine I told you that within the next season cycle we would see:

Baker Mayfield
Deshaun Watson
Jacoby Brissett
Josh Rosen
Jimmy Garappolo

All wearing Browns jerseys??

YOU would call me a certified nut-job!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
4 members like this: Floquinho, EveDawg, ScottPlayersFacemask
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Hunt or D. Johnson for Jimmy G? The latter reworks his contract? Good move for the Browns. Not so sure if it is a good move for Jimmy G? One year rental isn't exactly what guys want.

Since Garoppolo arrived in SF, the team is 35 and 15 w/him as the starter. The 49ers are just 8-27 without him. That's hard to ignore.

On the negative side, he has been injured a lot and he makes some really dumb throws. In addition to SF's record w/and w/out him, Jimmy G is beloved by teammates. He is a great leader and would be a welcome addition after the Browns have had to deal w/Mayfield's immaturity and ego the last 4 years. He also has played in a Super Bowl and was in the NFC Championship last year after they knocked off both Dallas and Green Bay in the playoffs. They would have beat the Rams in that game had the SF not dropped a gimme interception.

Legend
Legend
Jacoby be like...

[Linked Image from c.tenor.com]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted by PETE314
Thanks guys, I appreciate the opinions...For me...at least right now....This has become less about Watson and more with about the process and the VERY dangerous precedence this is setting for future players. Watson is just an example or a piece of evidence in that light. But the lack of motion (or apparent motion) on the part of the NFLPA is concerning. We haven't heard a peep from DeMaurice Smith through this entire process. My thoughts are not about Watson or "getting him off"...It is about this fairness of this process. The NFL is acting towards the CBA as lettered. But those letters are EXTREMELY skewed in power to the NFL.

No problem, my friend. I think the NFLPA has a lot of egg on it’s face because this shows how poorly they negotiated. I imagine the next CBA negotiations will be increasingly contentious. This is a huge knock on them.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
j/c:

Hunt or D. Johnson for Jimmy G? The latter reworks his contract? Good move for the Browns. Not so sure if it is a good move for Jimmy G? One year rental isn't exactly what guys want.

Since Garoppolo arrived in SF, the team is 35 and 15 w/him as the starter. The 49ers are just 8-27 without him. That's hard to ignore.

On the negative side, he has been injured a lot and he makes some really dumb throws. In addition to SF's record w/and w/out him, Jimmy G is beloved by teammates. He is a great leader and would be a welcome addition after the Browns have had to deal w/Mayfield's immaturity and ego the last 4 years. He also has played in a Super Bowl and was in the NFC Championship last year after they knocked off both Dallas and Green Bay in the playoffs. They would have beat the Rams in that game had the SF not dropped a gimme interception.

Good points, Vers.

This could work for Jimmy. A chance to start for a year with a good roster around him. Chance to be successful this season and parlay that into a nice signing elsewhere.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
j/c:

I expect Harvey's decision will be made public either today or early tomorrow. I expect the penalty to be harsh. Baker fans will rejoice and Browns fans will be depressed yet again.

You never know. The ruling by Robinson may temper his decision. I think that is why this "expedited" matter is taking so long.

I'm guessing the decision was made up awhile ago. The days of waiting for the Harvey ruling are simply optics to make it seem like they took a judicious route to their appeal process and determination.

It could be. It could also be that they wanted to wait for preseason games to begin.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

^This^ story could easily have its own thread.

All things considered I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on the Browns. Only time will tell.

Legend
Legend
Unless JB gets hurt he is playing at least six games.

If the suspension is for the year sure look into getting Jimmy G. You owe the rest of the roster a chance.

You don't want to be a hit away from Dobbs or Rosen.

Jimmy G is about the same as Baker. Not exactly but on par. They are both proven starters. Both have had some success. I am not getting into a debate about the two.

JB has his strengths. Are they comparable to the top AFC QB's ? No.

But JB and JG give us a chance. We have a good roster. We have strengths that will keep us in games no matter who we play.

Our defense could be very good. We know we can run it. Right there alone that keeps you in the game.

My main concern is if Cooper gets hurt. I don't like the receiver room as a whole. And the depth is a real concern.

We have a good team and players like Myles, JOK, Ward, Newsome, Chubb, Hunt, and others that are fun to watch.

The luster is off the season but it is still football and the Browns.

1 member likes this: Floquinho
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If the Browns go out and trade for Jimmy G, they will have the following invested in the QB position for 2022:

Garopplo______$24,200,000
Mayfield______ $10,500,000
Watson________$8,993,000
Brissett________$4,650,000
Dobbs___________$895,000

Total_________$49,238,000

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Something that popped into my head: what if the NFL and Browns have an under the table deal to allow Watson to play in the preseason as a little trial run to see how fans/social media/TV reacts? Test the waters a little bit and gauge a suspension after that

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

🤔

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by steve0255
If the Browns go out and trade for Jimmy G, they will have the following invested in the QB position for 2022:

Watson________$8,993,000
Dobbs___________$895,000

This is the right spirit! A player friendly organization that throws some money to everyone. What’s not to like…. nanner rolleyes nanner

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well, of course he would - that should tell you how the negotiations are going.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
O
Legend
Legend
O
He's "willing to accept" rofl

The gall of RDW, he will accept what he gets.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

No, he probably won’t. He will take the NFL to court ( and most likely lose) and dirty the NFL a bit

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
If Watson wants to get on the field quicker I'd bet the NFL would take some games off his suspension for a huge fine.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by cfrs15
If Watson wants to get on the field quicker I'd bet the NFL would take some games off his suspension for a huge fine.

Yes, please.

R
Legend
Legend
R
j/c...

Really strange this is being released right now. Goodell was just on TV yesterday confirming him and Sue were in bed together and they are going for the stranglehold. He was not shy in the least about it. He knows he's working from a position of strength and leverage.

What does this accomplish? My only hope is that the NFLPA has some meat behind a lawsuit and although the NFL will take their chances, they might not really want to. Fingers crossed.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Going to court is a PR nightmare for the NFL. Once the season starts they don't want anyone talking about Watson. Settle and avoid any court time.

In theory.

It seems like the league wants to nail Watson to the wall and set a new precedent.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Define huge .... Huge for you and me? Huge for an average NFL player? Huge for the guy who signed the biggest gauramteed contract in NFL history.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by steve0255

Watson________$8,993,000
Dobbs___________$895,000

Don't forget the 965k we're paying Rosen.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by mgh888
Define huge .... Huge for you and me? Huge for an average NFL player? Huge for the guy who signed the biggest gauramteed contract in NFL history.

They fined Snyder $10 million. I would say somewhere in that range.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
j/c...

Really strange this is being released right now. Goodell was just on TV yesterday confirming him and Sue were in bed together and they are going for the stranglehold. He was not shy in the least about it. He knows he's working from a position of strength and leverage.

What does this accomplish? My only hope is that the NFLPA has some meat behind a lawsuit and although the NFL will take their chances, they might not really want to. Fingers crossed.

To me this feels like:

Parents: You're grounded for at least a month, now get to your room.

Kid: Ok, ok...how about I'm grounded for three weeks, no sleepovers for five weeks but I still get to go to the Jesse and the Rippers concert?

Parents: Get to your room.

1 member likes this: oobernoober
R
Legend
Legend
R
Lmao...exactly.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mgh888

I define it in dollars. The players do and so would you if you were the one being fined.

$8 mil is pretty huge.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c...

As a Browns fan, I have been hoping of the number of games to stay at 6 and Watson getting a huge fine in the $8 to $10.5 million range. That probably won't happen, but the 8-game suspension w/a hefty fine is possible. Kraft did not get any punishment. Nor did Jones. The owner in Miami was fined $1.5 million, which is basically tipping money because he is worth $82 billion or something like that. Snyder was fined $10 million, but he is beyond wealthy. So, the owners/NFL will still be sticking it to the black player but it might pacify the sharks thirst for blood a bit.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Btw----I still wish the money from the fine would go to an agency or agencies that support women instead of into the NFL's pockets. Maybe multiple Rape Crisis Centers or Women's shelters, support groups, etc. You know, because the NFL cares so much about women.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
This link says:

The fines collected do not go to the NFL, but instead are donated through the NFL Foundation to assist Legends in need. (Programs are mutually agreed upon by the NFL and NFLPA in the CBA.)

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
3 members like this: jfanent, Ballpeen, FATE
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
I really hope it's some kind of strategic warning shot that's in front of a meaty lawsuit.

If it's just supposed to be taken at face value... lol, what a joke. NFL went for the indefinite suspension, didn't get it, appealed for an indefinite suspension.... and now that Watson says what he'd be cool with they're gonna be all like "You know what? Sure!"

Lol

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks Michelle. I'm glad that the money goes to a good cause. I still think it would be great to see the money in Watson's case go towards some agencies that directly benefit women who have suffered some type of abuse.

Legend
Legend
At this point the whole process is a disaster.

They may as well put pingpong balls with numbers on them and have a drawing like a lottery.

Robinson was independent and super qualified. She was thorough. She ruled within the structure of the agreement.

Now it has turned into a dart game. What is an appropriate suspension? Unknown.

That is why you hire a person like Sue Robinson.

3 members like this: FrankZ, FrankZ, Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
Btw----I still wish the money from the fine would go to an agency or agencies that support women instead of into the NFL's pockets. Maybe multiple Rape Crisis Centers or Women's shelters, support groups, etc. You know, because the NFL cares so much about women.

I actually love that Idea.. But don't count on it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I spy with my little eye. . . . the obvious solution which has been staring us in the face all the time this ordeal has been myopically obsessing us. My modest proposal seems sensible. DW takes some large money amounts, guaranteed, and rather than paying it into fines, becomes part owner in a NFL franchise instead. Then he can be on the more lenient side of judgment the NFL reserves for owners and that inner circle in its hypocrisy. The shoe is on the other foot. Either way, Watson has to pay to play football. Question is how long he must wait and what numbers suit Goodell and the nameless/faceless group instigating the appeal. The irony is appealing; it might illustrate the limits of diversity as well.
Food for thought on Game Day. . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c...

As a Browns fan, I have been hoping of the number of games to stay at 6 and Watson getting a huge fine in the $8 to $10.5 million range. That probably won't happen, but the 8-game suspension w/a hefty fine is possible. Kraft did not get any punishment. Nor did Jones. The owner in Miami was fined $1.5 million, which is basically tipping money because he is worth $82 billion or something like that. Snyder was fined $10 million, but he is beyond wealthy. So, the owners/NFL will still be sticking it to the black player but it might pacify the sharks thirst for blood a bit.

Just a personal opinion on this and not directed at anyone. I think that not unlike the players, the penalty process has been all over the board with the NFL. That said, it's my hope that corrections both ways are coming with future decisions. You can't fix the past and belly aching about the past and wanting retribution now doesn't fix anything.

The second item is the owner's discipline, namely fines. I think it's pretty shallow to think that because an owner has x amount of wealth, the fine should be based on their wealth. The richest owner in the league is in Carolina and he has a wealth of over 16.7 billion earned outside of football. To think or even consider that a league PCP violation by this man would put at risk his fortune earned outside of the game is just plain freaking nuts. That said, Miami's Ross is only worth 8.2 billion and Washington's Snyder's worth is around 4 billion. When a player is fined, they are fined based their future earnings not their net wealth. According to the CBA: "Fines will be deducted at the rate of no more than $3,500 from each pay period, if sufficient pay periods remain; or, if less than sufficient pay periods remain, the fine will be deducted in equal installments over the number of remaining pay periods. For the 2026–2030 League Years, the amount will increase from a rate of $3,500 to $4,500 from each pay period." The other misconception is that the fine money goes to the NFL. Actually, the CBA says: "Unless otherwise agreed by the parties., fine money collected pursuant to this Article shall be allocated as follows: 50% to the Players Assistance Trust and 50% to charitable organizations jointly determined by the NFL and the NFLPA. In the absence of said joint determination, the NFL and the NFLPA shall each determine a charitable organization or organizations to which half of the second 50% shall be allocated." Spoiler alert, the NFL doesn't get any of the fine money.

How much money do teams make? Sponsorships, media, partnerships, ticket and concession sales are some of the most important revenue streams for the NFL. In 2020, the revenue of all 32 NFL teams added up to 12.2 billion gross revenue U.S. dollars. The highest gross revenue generating team in the NFL in 2020 was Dallas at 800 million. Just for reference, in 2020, Miami had gross revenues of 372 million, Washington 388 million, New England 478 million, and Carolina 351 million. The lowest gross revenue earned by a team in 2020 was Detroit at 330 million.

That doesn't tell the real story though because net revenue (operating income) tells quite a different story. In 2020, Dallas still led the pack with net income of 280 million. Referencing the above teams net revenue for 2020, Miami had net revenues of 7.9 million, Washington 25 million, New England 142 million and Carolina negative 22 million. The lowest net revenue franchise in 2020 was LA Chargers who lost 49 million.

In retrospect, Snyder being fined 10 million compared to 2020 net revenues of 25 million would have been 40% of his net. If Watson was fined 10 million based on his 230-million-dollar contract, that would be only 4.3 percent of his planned contract earnings.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
As I said earlier...10 game suspension and 10 million dollar fine...that might produce a settlement..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Watson: Getcha Popcorn

Link Copied to Clipboard