R
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

Too little too late!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Too little too late!

This is who Watson is... he was like this in Houston... I don't think he's looking for kids with cancer to sign autographs for to improve his rep... I think that's just him being him...

if you want to say his 'apology' was too little too late, I'd agree there...

<><

#gmstrong
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Originally Posted by LexDawg
Week 1 Preseason Recap ESPN

Browns: Quarterback Deshaun Watson's first appearance since the 2020 season was a rough one. Playing the entire first quarter, Watson completed just 1 of 5 passes for seven yards. With him at QB, the offense failed to generate a single first down. To make things worse, starting center Nick Harris had to be carted off the field after the second snap due to a knee injury. What happened before kickoff, however, overshadowed anything Watson did on the field. For the first time, he apologized to the women who have accused him of inappropriate sexual misconduct during massage sessions, saying on the Browns' pregame show that he was "truly sorry" to the women he had impacted. Meanwhile, Watson and the Browns continue to wait on whether appeals officer Peter C. Harvey will extend Watson's six-game suspension. -- Jake Trotter
See what I mean, meant
when I said, the Pharisee type society wants to ruin any love/like/or appreciation of the game of football by having Social Issues Overshadow, (their word, Overshadow)
Social Issues Overshadow the game, and they use ESPN to attempt to demand you bow to the demand that you think their way.

Social issues instead of football.
and ESPN as the Tool to tell you what to think and say, and better fall in step or you may be marginalized -and or austricized.
^ it's right there.

You don't think the statement was made because Watson waited until before the game to make a public apology? It was one of the biggest stories of the offseason.

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by jaybird
Originally Posted by Rishuz

Too little too late!

This is who Watson is... he was like this in Houston... I don't think he's looking for kids with cancer to sign autographs for to improve his rep... I think that's just him being him...

if you want to say his 'apology' was too little too late, I'd agree there...

The difficult part when discussing on social media and in a forum like this is to separate a players talent, ability and performance with the same persons bad character and moral short comings. Deshaun Watson is from what we see probably a complex personality. Rich Eisen has multiple times praised Watson for his engagements
in the local community and how well he handle himself among supporters and in social arrangements. On the other hand we have these 24 women and their stories, we have the article from NYT and off course the conclusions from judge Robinson. With so much information most of us can take whatever perspective we want to justify our position regarding how we want to support this player.

I hope I'm strong enough to separate my judgments of him as a player with my stance on him regarding his wrong doings with all these women.

For me it's important that a player who represent my favorite team has some sort of moral standards. I will always accepts that young people do mistakes but when these mistakes happens over and over again over period of time and the player doesn't show remorse or accountability then I have to draw a line to not be a hypocrite. i can't have certain standard in my private life, among friends and co workers and another standard when supporting my favorite team.

DSW has a long way to go if he want's my full support as a Cleveland Brown player. Questionable PR stunts like his latest interview before the first pre season game doesn't help his case from my perspective. On the other hand when I see him taking time with sick children then my heart melts.

Time and good actions will be his best friend to come back, at least for me.

1 member likes this: mgh888
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Storm clouds, Deshaun Watson & the quarterbacks – Terry Pluto’s Browns Scribbles
Published: Aug. 14, 2022, 5:04 a.m.

By Terry Pluto, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio – Scribbles in my notebook following the Browns’ 24-13 preseason victory in Jacksonville on Friday:

1. The Deshaun Watson camp is trying to reach a settlement with the NFL. They leaked word to the Associated Press they’d be willing to accept an eight-game suspension and a $5 million fine. Then Watson issued an apology “to all the women that I’ve impacted in this situation.” The comments were made to Browns sideline reporter Aditi Kinkhabwala before the game.

2. You can make your own decision about the apology, as can the massage therapists who were part of the various civil suits – 23 settled by Waston, 30 by the Houston Texans. The Watson camp is backing far away from its demands of no suspension and Watson’s comments about “never assaulting or disrespecting any woman.” They clearly are trying to avoid a year-long suspension, which the NFL is seeking on appeal.

3. Perhaps the NFL and Watson’s camp are working on a settlement beyond the six games ruled by Judge Sue Robinson. The NFL is expected to rule on the appeal of the six-game sentence soon. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has pushed for a one-year suspension for what he calls Watson’s “predatory behavior.” Doesn’t all this seem to eventually be headed into the court system?

4. This has been an unsavory case, reflecting poorly on the Browns, Watson and the NFL. The Browns willingly became a part of it when they traded for Watson knowing all the civil suits against him. I still can’t believe the Browns traded six picks (including three first-rounders) and gave Watson the NFL’s largest guaranteed contract ($230 million), but that was their decision. And they have to deal with the consequences.

5. Most fans writing me are either

a) Angry the Browns did this;

b) Wanting to suggest a way to litigate the situation and find a settlement; or

c) Sick of the story and the endless speculation.

I hate how it has fractured the fan base. I don’t like how it has the coaching staff in a tough spot, preparing for the season and also having to answer questions that should only be handled by Watson and the Browns ownership. But the key people won’t discuss it publicly because of all the legal ramifications.

6. Coach Kevin Stefanski said Jacoby Brissett will start taking the majority of snaps with the starters in practice. The Browns have to be realistic preparing Brissett as a starter because of the suspension looming over Watson. Brissett didn’t play Friday. It’s about time he’s given most of the attention in practice.

7. As for Watson’s performance, he looked like a guy who hadn’t played in 19 months. His support was awful – two dropped passes by Anthony Schwartz, two holding penalties and a false start. All that in the first quarter. Watson was 1-of-5 passing for 7 yards. I’m not reading much into that.

8. But I also was impressed with my first long look at Joshua Dobbs in action. The 27-year-old from Tennessee has been in the NFL for four years but thrown only 17 regular-season passes. He was intriguing Friday night, completing 10 of 13 passes for 108 yards and a TD.

9. Dobbs was poised. He is athletic and kept plays alive with scrambles, then made wise decisions when he did throw. Let’s see more of him. Perhaps the Browns do have their backup to Brissett.

10. Stefanski on Dobbs: “Josh does a nice job in and out of the huddle, sees it very clearly. And I think his athleticism really showed up. Certainly had a couple scrambles. Had a touchdown where he had a free runner right in his face going to his left, extended the play and dumped it over to Jerome (Ford). So an impressive performance by Josh.”

A DECENT FIRST GAME
Josh Rosen completed 6 of 7 passes in Jacksonville. John Kuntz, cleveland.com

11. Josh Rosen was solid, completing 6 of 7 passes for 56 yards. The 25-year-old Rosen is on his fifth team. He has failed in Arizona and Miami, where he was given a chance to start. My guess is we’ll see a lot of Dobbs and Rosen in the final two preseason games.

12. I have a soft spot for Rosen because he was my No. 1-ranked QB before the 2018 draft...I have to live with that pick. For what it’s worth, I had Josh Allen at No. 2 and Baker Mayfield as No. 3. I dismissed Lamar Jackson and Sam Darnold. So as a GM, I would have been fired after that draft.

13. I will be speaking at the Bay Village Library on Tuesday Aug. 23 at 7 p.m. It’s free. I’ll meet fans, sign books and it will be fun.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...quarterbacks-terry-plutos-scribbles.html

Legend
Legend
IMO the reaction to DW performance in the first pre-season game is: an overreaction.

But that is par for the course. I had to wait till the next day to watch the Jags game. Just for grins I looked at how people on the Board reacted as the game was being played.

Hysterical.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I've stated his performance is a non issue. I've missed any heat that's been pointed his way though. Everything I've read pointed out two dropped passes and the lengthy absence.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by bonefish
IMO the reaction to DW performance in the first pre-season game is: an overreaction.

But that is par for the course. I had to wait till the next day to watch the Jags game. Just for grins I looked at how people on the Board reacted as the game was being played.

Hysterical.

Browns fans overacting to their teams QB play and others defending it? Similar to 85% of the years we've had since 99, no?

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

Hysterical.

Browns fans overacting to their teams QB play and others defending it? Similar to 85% of the years we've had since 99, no?

And every other fan base.

1 member likes this: FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P

Hysterical

I must have missed that. I separate my feelings of off the field DW and on the field DW. My opinion on the what I saw thread was that Scwartz dropped two of those passes and it should have been expected that watson would have some rust. Where was all of this overreaction at on the board?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Nothing by anyone specific just all kinds of comments.

I have never looked at the Board when the game is on. Only the next day with "post game" comments etc.

It was things like fire KS. DW looks terrible. I tuned out.

I was just there to look at the game comments nothing else.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh the game day threads are hilarious and sad at the same time. So much emotion and testosterone flowing in the same direction all at once. rofl

In the very beginning, I've been on one of these Dawgtalk named forums since 1999, I would read those. Not during a game because I was too focused on watching the game, but afterwords. And dear God it was like reading some crazy, deranged writers just before they were committed. I now avoid them like the plague.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Nothing by anyone specific just all kinds of comments.

I have never looked at the Board when the game is on. Only the next day with "post game" comments etc.

It was things like fire KS. DW looks terrible. I tuned out.

I was just there to look at the game comments nothing else.

I absolutely adore game day threads for all sports. If fans start talking crap about a player odds are he is about the score or win the game and they will all have been his biggest supporters.

V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c

When will Peter Harvey issue a ruling on Deshaun Watson?

Mike Florio
Mon, August 15, 2022, 10:23 AM·1 min read

Twelve days ago, the NFL appealed Judge Sue L. Robinson’s ruling in the Deshaun Watson case. The rules require that the appeal process be expedited. Currently, it doesn’t feel as if appeals officer Peter Harvey is expediting anything.

On Friday, just as the momentum was building for a ruling, credible talk of a potential settlement emerged. Watson reportedly is willing to accept a suspension of eight games and pay a fine in the amount of $5 million. The league presumably won’t slip below 10 games, and the league may want a fine in the range of $10 million — the salary Watson earned in 2021 for not playing.

If a settlement happens, both sides need to explain that the fine converts his absence from money for nothing into nothing from nothing. Although some continue to insist that Watson didn’t play last year for reasons unrelated to his off-field situation, he would have been traded to the Dolphins but for the lingering legal problems. Indeed, he likely would have been traded to someone before the 2021 draft, since it was clear he would not play for the Texans again.

If he pays a $10 million fine, Watson and the league can credibly argue that Watson actually served an unpaid suspension for all of last season. With 10 games in 2022 on top of that, this may placate those who would argue that the league was too lenient with Watson.

Regardless, if there’s a window currently open for a settlement, at some point it will close. At some point, Harvey needs to issue a ruling. It’s hard to imagine the situation lingering much longer.

https://sports.yahoo.com/peter-harvey-issue-ruling-deshaun-142314607.html

Interesting.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Only it really can't.

Report: Deshaun Watson met with David Culley, refuses to play for Texans

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...david-culley-refuses-to-play-for-texans/

Report: Deshaun Watson told David Culley he doesn't want to play for the Texans

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/25/deshaun-watson-told-david-culley-doesnt-play-texans/

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I wasn't going to go find links, but that was what I immediately wondered.... How the heck does one justify Choosing to Not Play as "Suspension Time Served"?

Last season was all his own choice and volition, and by all accounts, completely unrelated to these cases, but instead had to do with how he felt about the Texans as an organization. I absolutely cannot see how it could possibly be counted without a HEAVY dose of revisionist history and blinders for everyone.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by PrplPplEater
I wasn't going to go find links, but that was what I immediately wondered.... How the heck does one justify Choosing to Not Play as "Suspension Time Served"?

Last season was all his own choice and volition, and by all accounts, completely unrelated to these cases, but instead had to do with how he felt about the Texans as an organization. I absolutely cannot see how it could possibly be counted without a HEAVY dose of revisionist history and blinders for everyone.

He is not saying those games would be counted, but the league can credibly argue.

I understand how and why because I have heard other analysts that I respect more than Florio talk about the same thing. The credible argument is that Watson would have been traded last year during the season had the allegations of sexual misconduct not been out there. It is noteworthy that there was no trade talk for Watson going on until after the Grand Jury decided not to indict him. Thus, w/out the charges of sexual misconduct, Watson would have been traded last year. Taking away his salary from that season makes some sense of a way to find some common ground and gain some closure.

With that said, I know a lot of people won't accept that because they are hungry to see him punished.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Your green highlighted statement: Why was I under the impression DW WAS paid for last year? Is that incorrect?

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

He is not saying those games would be counted, but the league can credibly argue.

I understand how and why because I have heard other analysts that I respect more than Florio talk about the same thing. The credible argument is that Watson would have been traded last year during the season had the allegations of sexual misconduct not been out there. It is noteworthy that there was no trade talk for Watson going on until after the Grand Jury decided not to indict him. Thus, w/out the charges of sexual misconduct, Watson would have been traded last year. Taking away his salary from that season makes some sense of a way to find some common ground and gain some closure.

With that said, I know a lot of people won't accept that because they are hungry to see him punished.

First of all, Watson stepped away before any of this was an issue. Second, all Watson had to do was settle those suits like he eventually did a year and a half later. Just because Watson's ego got in the way and his - not the NFL's - misconduct off the field combined with his disdain for the Texans caused him to not be traded does not equal a NFL suspension. He sure didn't have any issues cashing those checks and playing predator with the massage ladies. Maybe the NFL should take responsibility for that too! Just like Stephen A Smith said today, were not talking about a single or even a double incident. We're talking about 60 plus women of which 24 have filled civil suits against Watson for alleged sexual misconduct. Smith said he absolutely should be suspended for the season for his actions off the field. I agree......

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Watson was paid and he skipped to the bank each pay period to cash those checks and be a predator while his peers suffered on the field without him.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

Because he could forfeit his game checks for every game missed last season. I believe it is around 10 million dollars he made to set out.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
V
Legend
Legend
V
Are you capable of making a post w/out twisting my words and arguing? I was answering a question by paraphrasing others. Why does everything have to be an argument? State your opinion and move on. I never even came close to saying he anything about when he stepped away. What I repeated from others that he would have been traded last year if not for the allegations.

Okay, I have been trying really hard to not reply to you, but I had to get that off my chest. Get another shot or three in, but I won't respond. All I know is I can't wait until the refs move the legal talk to the proper forum.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Are you capable of making a post w/out twisting my words and arguing? I was answering a question by paraphrasing others. Why does everything have to be an argument? State your opinion and move on. I never even came close to saying he anything about when he stepped away. What I repeated from others that he would have been traded last year if not for the allegations.

Okay, I have been trying really hard to not reply to you, but I had to get that off my chest. Get another shot or three in, but I won't respond. All I know is I can't wait until the refs move the legal talk to the proper forum.

Did I use your name or direct it to you? You paraphrased an opinion and I responded to that opinion. Also, to get the facts straight - the holdup on the Watson trade at the time was the huge compensation the Texans wanted in return. Numerous teams reached out but report after report talked about the compensation requested - not his off the field issues. Finally, when the Dolphins decided they might be interested in meeting the demand, they put the stipulation on it that the suits were settled. Watson's ego wouldn't let him do that, so the trade died in the backroom - never made it to the table actually.

Bottomline, Watson wasn't traded because the cost was way too high and his ego got in the way (not to mention his no trade clause which everyone seems to forget) - period! You, my friend, took that as a shot at yourself, read the post - it is not.

Last edited by steve0255; 08/15/22 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling

V
Legend
Legend
V
Stephen A Smith on Watson's apology, NFL investigations, and more.

M
Legend
Legend
M
In response to Stephen A Smith .... what a joke of a take. Possibly the worst I have ever seen out of his mouth.

There is still a case outstanding against Watson.... do Lawyers be like - "If you have over 20 claims against you - say NOTHING ... but when it's only 1 claim you can go admit to the world you are a sexual predator" ..... No.

Fact is, the apology wasn't an apology. Someone (Bull?) already broke that down for anyone that wasn't actually paying attention to what DW said.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Purp, here is an article from last year that talks a little bit about the implications of possible criminal charges. What some analysts are saying about not playing last year due to the possible criminal cases influenced the trade market, especially given the fact that multiple teams went after him hard once the GJ chose not to indict him.

[quote]Inside story of why the Houston Texans didn't trade quarterback Deshaun Watson, what's next
Nov 3, 2021
Sarah Barshop
ESPN Staff Writer

HOUSTON -- A day after the NFL trade deadline, with quarterback Deshaun Watson still on the Houston Texans roster, general manager Nick Caserio said the situation hasn't been a distraction in the building.

But on Wednesday morning, much of Caserio's 27-minute news conference was taken up by questions about Watson's future with the franchise, trade discussions with the Miami Dolphins that fizzled out and the "serious" legal situation that Watson is in.

"I don't really want to comment on something that is out of my control," Caserio said when asked whether he believed Watson's legal situation made a trade more difficult to complete. "So, again, we just take it one step at a time and take the information as it comes and try to make good decisions the best we can. In the end, it wasn't a trade that came to fruition."

The Texans now cannot trade Watson until the start of the new league year on March 16, 2022, but there are several complicating factors that could prevent a trade from being completed.

On March 16, 2021, one day before the start of the 2021 NFL year, the first of 23 lawsuits was filed against Watson accusing him of sexual assault and inappropriate behavior during massage sessions. There are currently 22 active lawsuits as one was dropped after a judge ruled in April that plaintiffs needed to amend their petitions to disclose their names.

Two months before the first lawsuit was filed -- and less than six months after Watson signed a four-year, $156 million contract extension that would keep him in Houston through the 2025 season -- the quarterback asked for a trade. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Watson was unhappy his input wasn't considered in the hiring of Caserio.

Caserio and coach David Culley insisted in their news conferences before the lawsuits against Watson were filed that the former first-round pick out of Clemson would not be traded. However, that discussion shifted after the allegations against Watson came to light.

Once Caserio began having conversations about the possibility of trading Watson, the general manager made it clear he would move on from the quarterback only for the right offer, sources told ESPN. Schefter reported in September that Caserio was looking for a package of six players and draft picks from teams interested in acquiring Watson.

There were a handful of teams interested in the weeks after Watson's desire to be traded became public, including the Dolphins, Denver Broncos, Carolina Panthers, San Francisco 49ers, Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Football Team, sources told ESPN. But once teams became aware of the lawsuits filed against Watson, several declined to pursue the trade further.

In the two weeks before Tuesday's trade deadline, there were reports out of Houston that a deal with the Dolphins was close. But on Wednesday morning, Miami general manager Chris Grier called "90%" of the rumors false.

"We never got to a point where anything was going to be realistic in terms of happening," Grier said. "It was still us just doing our due diligence, just talking through things. We never got to a point where anything was that close to happening."

While the Dolphins were interested in Watson, owner Stephen Ross wasn't comfortable going forward with it, Schefter reported Tuesday. On Tuesday night, Tony Buzbee, the attorney for the 22 plaintiffs, told Fox 26 in Houston there was a "pretty tough effort to try to settle" the lawsuits before the trade deadline.

​​According to Schefter, Texans chairman and CEO Cal McNair privately told people he wanted the team to separate from Watson before the trade deadline but ultimately left the decision up to Caserio.

Grier said Wednesday that he didn't want to get into the specifics of trade offers with other teams, but a team source told ESPN the Dolphins weren't willing to guarantee all three first-round draft picks Houston wanted the package for Watson to be built around.

A no-trade clause in Watson's contract extension, signed in September 2020, limited Caserio while looking for a trade partner. In fact, Watson would waive his no-trade clause only for the Dolphins, a source told ESPN. The Texans and Panthers did not get very far in trade talks, a source said, because Watson had not agreed to be traded to Carolina.

Last week, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told reporters the league didn't have enough information about the lawsuits to make a decision on potential discipline for Watson. The information it did have wasn't enough to place the quarterback on the commissioner's exempt list.

If Watson is put on the list, he would be paid -- as he is now -- but not allowed to practice or play. Because Goodell didn't put Watson on the exempt list, the Texans are carrying him on their 53-man roster and making him a healthy scratch on game day. Watson gets a $620,000 game check each week even though he is deactivated.

If the Texans trade Watson before June 1, Houston would take on $16.2 million in dead money on their 2022 salary cap. If the trade happens after June 1, there would be $5.4 million of dead money against the cap in 2022 and $10.8 million the next year.

Even before Watson was accused of sexual assault and inappropriate behavior, it was going to be a challenging task to trade the 25-year-old franchise quarterback because of his contract. Along with the dead money the Texans would have to eat because of the guaranteed money and the $27 million signing bonus, acquiring Watson would have the potential to decimate an interested team's draft capital and pool of young talent, considering what Houston would have wanted in return.

What's next?
If the civil cases were to go to trial, the earliest that could begin is in early May. According to the agreed-to case docket, a status conference would be set for May 2, 2022, and the court would set a trial date.

Even if Watson and the 22 women were able to settle the lawsuits, Watson could still face criminal charges. Ten women have filed complaints with Houston police against Watson, his attorney Rusty Hardin told ESPN's John Barr in July. According to Hardin, eight of them are among the women who have filed suits against Watson; two have not sued the quarterback.

Of course, if there are criminal charges filed against Watson, the Texans won't receive the value Caserio was determined to get. But given Houston's insistence on not accepting a conditional pick, that's clearly a risk the front office is willing to take.

Although a lot will depend on whether there are criminal charges and/or the lawsuits are settled, there is a huge difference in keeping Watson on the roster in 2022 if a trade is not made. In 2021, the Texans are paying Watson a base salary of $10.54 million. In 2022, they would be paying him $35 million.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ns-trade-quarterback-deshaun-watson-next[/quote]

L
All Pro
All Pro
L
Originally Posted by cfrs15

Hysterical.

And every other fan base.

Agreed, however my point is this is commonplace for our fans so acting like it is an issue just because of Watson is..an overreaction.

1 member likes this: cfrs15
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted by steve0255
Watson was paid and he skipped to the bank each pay period to cash those checks and be a predator while his peers suffered on the field without him.

So, he WAS paid in full last year, and he sat out by his own choice?

How would that translate into "he's already missed a year?"

Legend
Legend
Bottom line: he didn't play because HE CHOSE NOT TO PLAY.

I get that all sorts of people are searching for angles on that to try to create a scenario where him not playing was actually punishment beyond his own choosing, but it isn't. It's all paper tigers and smoke & mirror reasoning.
The "logic" being applied is just absurd.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

2 members like this: PitDAWG, FATE
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Originally Posted by steve0255

So, he WAS paid in full last year, and he sat out by his own choice?

How would that translate into "he's already missed a year?"

It doesn't unless you're looking for some angle to create a punishment that didn't happen. That's just as foolish as saying if he returned last year's wages as his fine then that could be counted as part of his suspension too. It's all absurd, smoke and mirrors, and just another attempt at somehow saying Watson has been punished when he hasn't.

In 2021, the Texans paid Watson a base salary of $10.54 million. In 2022, they would be paying him $35 million.

Last edited by steve0255; 08/15/22 08:35 PM. Reason: spelling

A
Legend
Legend
A
I just wanted confirmation that what I thought was true, was in fact, true.

He was not suspended last year, he voluntarily sat it out.

He lost no compensation last year (other than perhaps performance perks). So, there is NO WAY anyone can see he was punished last year.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I just want the NFL to render a decision.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
1 member likes this: oobernoober
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by lampdogg
I just want the NFL to render a decision.
It’s gotta happen within the 12 days following the appeal right? If it doesn’t it becomes just the 6 games.

So, when is the deadline? End of the week?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
I just wanted confirmation that what I thought was true, was in fact, true.

He was not suspended last year, he voluntarily sat it out.

He lost no compensation last year (other than perhaps performance perks). So, there is NO WAY anyone can see he was punished last year.

To take it a step further:

In September 2020, Watson signed a contract extension with the Texans. The total value of the deal was $177.54 million with nearly $111 million in guarantees, trailing only quarterback Patrick Mahomes' 12-year deal with the Kansas City Chiefs as the largest in NFL history at the time.

Watson received a signing bonus of 27M in 2020 along with a roster bonus of 1.177M and a base salary of 1.177M bringing his total in 2020 to 29.354M.

The $40 million-per-year average in new money made Watson the second-highest paid player in NFL history, behind Patrick Mahomes, who signed a decade-long deal worth upwards of $500 million earlier that offseason.

Less than six months after Watson signed a four-year, $177.54 million contract extension that would keep him in Houston through the 2025 season -- the quarterback demanded to be traded. According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, Watson was unhappy his input wasn't considered in the hiring of Caserio.

On March 16, 2021, one day before the start of the 2021 NFL year and more than 2-months after Watson demanded to be traded, the first of 23 lawsuits was filed against Watson accusing him of sexual assault and inappropriate behavior during massage sessions.

Even before Watson was accused of sexual assault and inappropriate behavior, it was going to be a challenging task to trade the 25-year-old franchise quarterback because of his contract. Along with the dead money the Texans would have to eat because of the guaranteed money and the $27 million signing bonus, acquiring Watson would have the potential to decimate an interested team's draft capital and pool of young talent, considering what Houston would have wanted in return.

Watson decided to sit out the 2021 campaign because his demands were not met. The Texans paid Watson's base salary of 10.54M as was listed as a healthy scratch each week of the season.

The next issue was what to do in 2022. Watson's base salary was scheduled to be over 35M in 2022. Thus, the ultimate trade to the Browns.

Watson only honored less than six months on his last mega deal, will Watson honor his Browns deal?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
WOW! Thank the Lord we were there to help DeShaun and the Texans out!! Very good hearted on our part. How can anyone dislike us?

O
Legend
Legend
O
DW accusing the Texans ownership of being racist probably didn't help much either.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

As I said earlier, it was a given that there would be people who would not accept the logic of argument being made by multiple sources. And it is no surprise which guys shot that logic down. It's the same guys who convicted Watson from the get-go.

1 member likes this: Rishuz
O
Legend
Legend
O
From what I'm hearing, about half the fanbase has an issue with him. Take that for what it's worth. Guess we'll see if winning really does fix everything whenever he gets to play.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 08/16/22 06:56 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I don't know the exact numbers, but I don't have a problem w/those who are uncomfortable w/Watson. It's a personal choice that I respect.

I was talking about how I knew certain posters would defy the logic of the claim made by multiple analysts. Everyone understands that he chose to not play for the Texans last year. Everyone knows he got paid. No one is disputing that. However, he would have definitely been traded last year had the threat of possible criminal charges not been in the mix. Denying that is foolhardy. Furthermore, if he pays a fine that is equal to or close to last year's salary, it is not illogical to see how that is punishment.

What I find odd is that we have posters actively campaigning for the Browns to be punished on a Browns fan site. That's crazy. Not rooting for the team is one thing. Actively campaigning for them to be punished is another. I could see posting that way if you were on a neutral site or another team's site, but calling out fans of the Browns for rooting for the Browns is crazy. Hell, I get complaining about a player, a coach, FO personnel, the owner, etc. But to actually champion the cause of something that will hurt the Browns and their fan base seems cruel. Not sure what joy people have in making fans of a team miserable by constantly wishing will ill on the team.

1 member likes this: Rishuz
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't know the exact numbers, but I don't have a problem w/those who are uncomfortable w/Watson. It's a personal choice that I respect.

I was talking about how I knew certain posters would defy the logic of the claim made by multiple analysts. Everyone understands that he chose to not play for the Texans last year. Everyone knows he got paid. No one is disputing that. However, he would have definitely been traded last year had the threat of possible criminal charges not been in the mix. Denying that is foolhardy. Furthermore, if he pays a fine that is equal to or close to last year's salary, it is not illogical to see how that is punishment.

What I find odd is that we have posters actively campaigning for the Browns to be punished on a Browns fan site. That's crazy. Not rooting for the team is one thing. Actively campaigning for them to be punished is another. I could see posting that way if you were on a neutral site or another team's site, but calling out fans of the Browns for rooting for the Browns is crazy. Hell, I get complaining about a player, a coach, FO personnel, the owner, etc. But to actually champion the cause of something that will hurt the Browns and their fan base seems cruel. Not sure what joy people have in making fans of a team miserable by constantly wishing will ill on the team.

I will call you out on this comment. When you spin things like this to support your narrative is when people end up lashing out at you. IMHO, no one is campaigning for the Browns to be punished. Unfortunately, when you jump on board with a predator there's going to be some collateral damage. What you consider championing a cause of something that will hurt the Browns and their fan base as being cruel couldn't be further from the truth. To paraphrase what your implying is that any person who is demanding Watson receive the maximum punishment from the NFL for the most predatory egregious behavior in the history of the NFL is wishing ill will on the team. So, unless this 50% of the fan base doesn't bury their heads in the sand and join the campaign of undying support for the decision to bring Watson to the team in the name of winning, we certainly can't be a part of the fan base that's supporting the Browns.

Let's correct your first claim, it is only an assumption that Watson would have been definitely traded had the threat of criminal charges not been in the mix. There was also the issue with dead cap money, compensation for the trade, and Watson's no-trade clause. In fact, once Caserio began having conversations about the possibility of trading Watson, the general manager made it clear he would move on from the quarterback only for the right offer, sources told ESPN. Schefter reported in September that Caserio was looking for a package of six players and multiple draft picks from teams interested in acquiring Watson.

If you make yourself the champion as to who is or is not a Brown fan you have overstepped your position in this forum. I, and many others on this forum, are disgusted by the fact that the NFL has investigated and determined that the person who is to be the face of the Browns franchise is the most prolific predator in the history of the NFL. At a minimum, the NFL has determined that at various levels Watson sexually assaulted, portrayed misconduct or harassed 24 different women. He lied at the hearing and has shown zero remorse for the way he treated these women. With 12 violations of the NFL PCP, 4 women with 3 violation's each, Watson has committed 1000% more PCP violations than any other player in the history of the NFL - bar none.

You are the only person on this forum that has continually called out fan loyalty of any person who doesn't agree with your optics on the situation. Hell, you're doing it again with this post in its entirety. Last time I checked, the Browns didn't appoint you as the champion as to who is or is not a Browns Fan. I also think it's a little pompous of you to question a person's team loyalty after you just spent the last 4-years proudly carrying the anti-QB flag against the Browns. The difference here is Watson has mistreated multiple women at a level never seen in the NFL as determined by the NFL investigation and this part of the fan base feels he should be held to the highest level of accountability and his ability to throw a damn football shouldn't have anything to do with loyalty, fandom, or Cleveland Browns support. I won't, but I could take the same stance against you for having joy in making fans miserable by constantly wishing ill will and belittling their support of the team because they are disgusted at Watson's egregious behavior. For women everywhere, I have taken the stand that he should be held accountable at the highest level for his predatory actions, and it has nothing to do with my fan loyalty to the Browns, contrary to your faulty judgement of 50% of the fanbase.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum DeShaun Watson in perpetuum et unum diem

Link Copied to Clipboard