TTTDawg Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
BIGBIG name from years past.......

Legendary Chiefs QB enters hospice care
August 13, 2022
by Dan Benton

Legendary Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Len Dawson, 87, has entered hospice care.

KMBC-TV, the Kansas City-based station where Dawson broke into broadcasting, revealed the news on Friday via confirmation through his wife, Linda.

Dawson was originally a first-round pick (No. 5 overall) of the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 1957 NFL draft. After three seasons with the Steelers, he spent two years with the Cleveland Browns before joining the Dallas Texans of the AFL in 1962.

The Texans moved to Kansas City in 1963 and were renamed the Chiefs. There, Dawson would continue his stellar play and go on to cement himself as a franchise legend and future Pro Football Hall of Famer.

In 211 career regular season games, Dawson posted a record of 94-57-8. He completed 57.1% of his passes for 28,711 yards, 239 touchdowns and 183 interceptions. He also gained 1,293 yards and scored nine additional touchdowns on 294 rush attempts.

Dawson was named Super Bowl IV MVP — the team’s first NFL title. Additionally, he was a one-time Pro Bowler, six-time AFL All-Star, two-time First-Team All-AFL, three-time AFL champion, one-time AFL Championship MVP and AFL MVP (1962). He was also the NFL’s Man of the Year in 1973 and later named to the AFL All-Time Team.

In 1979, Dawson was enshrined in the Chiefs Hall of Fame followed by his induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1987.

“Looking back on my career, I’ve been blessed for what I had the opportunity to do,” Dawson said in 2017.

Following his playing career, Dawson joined the aforementioned KMBC-TV as their first-ever sports anchor. He also became a game analyst for NBC and the Chiefs’ radio network, and co-hosted HBO’s groundbreaking “Inside the NFL” show for 24 years.

© LB SPORTS MEDIA GROUP INCORPORATED
Dedicated to the memory of Nevil Vega
AboutContact UsEditorial ProcessMeet the StaffPrivacy Policy

https://share.newsbreak.com/1l3qmmuh

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
Another great prepares to pass on from this world. I pray that his passing will be easy, and without pain.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Legend
Legend
D
Godspeed, Len Dawson. He was a great one who got away.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Very good player and announcer. I'll never forget him smoking a cigarette on the bench. LOL.

I read his book a long time ago. He used to eat candy bars before games for energy and that was a common practice back in the day. Oh my, how times have changed.

The Chiefs/Raiders battles were epic. Great games w/lots of physical/dirty play. I remember when Big Ben Davidson jumped on Dawson's neck along the sideline. Dirty as can be. Otis Taylor, a tough WR went after Davidson hard. Great memories of some of the best football I have ever witnessed.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey, I realize that this thread is probably in the wrong forum, but I hope it isn't deleted. Some good stories about things back in the day. Below is a photo of Dawson smoking a cigarette. For you younger folks, don't judge too harshly. It was a different era and people didn't know what they know now. Plus, folks were a lot less uptight. Dawson was a very good qb who won a Super Bowl.

[Linked Image from i.etsystatic.com]

Legend
Legend
Godspeed Len. Thanks for all you did

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
R
Legend
Legend
R
Didn't Len Dawson host the HBO weekly recap football show? Always looked forward to that.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Yes. "Inside the NFL."

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 08/13/22 09:23 PM.
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I met him in Canton in 2003ish when the HoF would have
LEGENDS DAY. We talked for 3 ,minutes and I said what do
You think about today's QBs etc etc
Without hesitation he looked at me and said
" they don't even call their own plays "
He signed a Chiefs ball for me with a perfect signature
No scribbles .
He was a great color guy for NBC. Smooth cadence
And didn't try to own the booth with catchy football jargon

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Didn't Len Dawson host the HBO weekly recap football show? Always looked forward to that.
Yes I believe so

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I lost my wife to cancer in February. I hope Len Dawson's passing will be easier and less painful. My prayers to him and God Bless.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I liked his announcing back in the late 70s and early80s. Was he partnered wth Charlie Jones a lot?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
I lost my wife to cancer in February. I hope Len Dawson's passing will be easier and less painful. My prayers to him and God Bless.

Sorry to hear that my man. Peace to you.

RIP Len. One of the greats.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Dawson was one of the guys to bring the NFL into what it is today.

Always sad to hear about about guys like him passing on.

Legend
Legend
Sorry to hear that Home. Hoping you find comfort

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog

Home: I didn’t see your post yesterday because I responded to the original post on this thread and neglected to read any of the others.

Sorry for your loss, man.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Yes I believe so

With former Pats and Dolphins LB Nick Buoniconti, IIRC .

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Hey, I realize that this thread is probably in the wrong forum, but I hope it isn't deleted. Some good stories about things back in the day. Below is a photo of Dawson smoking a cigarette. For you younger folks, don't judge too harshly. It was a different era and people didn't know what they know now. Plus, folks were a lot less uptight. Dawson was a very good qb who won a Super Bowl.

Not to worry Vers, I think he is countering that unhealthy smoke with a refreshing sugar free, cyclamates infused, Fresca.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

Vers , we are about the same age and remember a lot of older players. Have you ever seen the old Showtime network, 5-part series, Full Color Football: The Story of the AFL? IF you haven't seen it, I would be stunned if you wouldn't find it awesome. All 5 episodes are available on YouTube. If you can't find it, I can send a link. Each episode is over an hour long.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Hey Fort. No, I haven't seen that. I'll be sure to look it up. Thanks for the heads-up.

1 member likes this: FORTBROWNFAN
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Legendary Chiefs QB enters hospice care

Link Copied to Clipboard