Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Here is another Froholdt play to focus on...

3rd qtr @ 7:10--1st/10...#72 Froholdt at LG...run play off tackle (left)...watch #72 get to next level and take Bears LB for a ride.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by mac
OG, Hjalte Froholdt, 26yrs - 6' 05" | Wt: 310

A diamond in the rough...he reminds me of Teller.

I have heard good things. I guess my only question is his age. Players are usually pretty polished by the time they are 26.

He's a good story, and even spent some time here in Warren, OH as a foreign exchange student when he was a kid. He didn't even come over to the U.S. to be a Razorback until he was 19 and he did his full four years there, finally getting drafted by New England in 2019.

He's likely just finally finding his groove after getting to settle in at one location for a while.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
5 members like this: Ballpeen, SuperBrown, Versatile Dog
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Thanks. That is awesome stuff. I could watch that for hours.

Legend
Legend
When you have the horses they pull the plough.

Njoku seals block with great position on the play left.

Great scheme with the right personnel.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Thanks, that was very easy to follow and not replete with mind-numbing ‘coach-speak’.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

PFF hilariously gave Bitonio a grade a run block grade of 58.7. Andrew Whitworth was clowning PFF's OL grading. I've read guys like Jake Burns question their grading when it come to line play.

Always enjoy Baldy Breakdowns.

Bitonio and Teller are both HoF caliber talents.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I have to know, what side of the tracks are we going to use with PFF line grades?

MG receives the highest PFF Grade in the NFL last week @ 94.4 - we'll take it, he's the best.

Teller was the highest rated OG in the NFL last week @ 85.9 - we'll take it, he has HOF caliber talents.

Clowney graded out at 76.3 and the 21st rated edge rusher in the NFL last week - we have great bookend DE's.

Hudson graded out at 76.0 and the 8th rated OT in the NFL last week - well deserved and earned, we'll take it.

BUT................

Elliott graded out at 60.2 and the 47th rated DT last week - BS, our DT's are serviceable.

Bitonio graded out at 59.0 and the 35th rated OG last week - PFF sucks and is questionable in their ratings or could have just been a bad week.

Bryan graded out at 57.6 and the 58th rated DT last week - clowning PFF's grading.

Njuko graded out at 56.1 and the 34th rated TE in the NFL last week - he's worth his 14.137M per year because after 5-years, he has potential.

Wells graded out at 51.7 and the 59th graded OT last week - can't be, we have the best OL in the NFL.

Bryant graded out at 51.4 and the 41st rated TE in the NFL last week - great 1-2 punch at the position.

Pocic graded out at 51.3 and the 24th rated center in the NFL last week and the lowest OL/DL player grade for the Browns week 1 - this is questionable grading.

So, I have to know, is it our policy to only accept PFF grades when they show our players doing well - or - if the players that were rated low are questionable ratings, then does that mean the high ratings are also questionable? I'm just trying to not to be confused when we talk real football. It's difficult when you don't know which guidelines we're going to follow.

The Player Grading Scale:
100-90 - Elite
89-85 -- Pro Bowler
84-70 -- Starter
69-60 -- Backup
59-0 -- Replaceable

Last edited by steve0255; 09/18/22 05:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
Love those breakdowns from baldy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Some of you may have noticed this, but for those that missed it, I want to bring up two of the plays that Baldy referenced. The first was what he called Gut Punch Peft. The Second was what he called Gut Punch Left, Reverse Right. I bring these up because I've been talking about how the very best playcallers use building blocks when calling plays. I brought to everyone's attention when Shanny was here. He is the best I've ever seen at doing it. For example, on a certain play or play, he would have his TE line up on the left side rather than the right. On those plays, he would have have the TE gap--or angle--block down on the Edge and we would run an Outside Zone running play to the left. Later in the game, that same TE would chip the Edge and break free on a long drag route where he would be wide open.

I have talked about how Stefanski does the same types of things. We ran that Gut Punch Left play a few times during the game. We had some success. The D starts to really flow that way to stop the physicality of the play and we zap them w/the reverse. These are examples of how the best playcallers use building blocks to exploit defenses. Stefanski's scheme has its roots in the Shannahan/Kubiak tree, which is the best scheme in the NFL right now. He is also a very good playcaller who deserves to be credited for it.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
PFF hilariously gave Bitonio a grade a run block grade of 58.7. Andrew Whitworth was clowning PFF's OL grading. I've read guys like Jake Burns question their grading when it come to line play.

I can't say I agree w/this. PFF grades are not perfect, but they are far, far superior to anything else out there. For decades, we have listened to clueless folks on here evaluate players. I trust PFF much more than some biased fan's opinion. Using a combination of PFF and Next Gen stats is pretty reliable, in my opinion.

I also disagree about the line play grading not being reliable. My eyes have told me that their OL play is reliable. Bitonio's grade will go up. He was rated extremely high last year. He missed a few blocks in the Carolina game and that obviously hurt his grade. The one area that I have questioned the PFF grades are the defensive back grades at times. I think safeties that don't read plays very well get a break, possibly because they are so far out of position. Guys like TJ Ward and Peppers come to mind.

B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt some play calls that have many scratching their heads are set-up plays. They set up another play call, maybe later in the series, maybe later in the game.

So, that "throw away" call we complain about might be the call that breaks another play later in the game.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
PFF is a useful reference but not infallible.

1 member likes this: FL_Dawg
Legend
Legend
This is a question for all.

I can understand stat checking for numbers. PFF grades have a purpose as well.

What I believe is watch the plays and have your own thoughts and if needed apply a grade.

When in doubt go back and rewatch. See with your eyes what the player in question is doing.

James Hudson played well. I don't need a number to know that.

Njoku executed his assignment. It is there to see. I don't care about a number.

Anyone can post stats. Watch tape breakdowns from guys like Baldy or others. The fun of football is have your own take.

It is not a contest to dispute posted stats.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

I question how pff (or any other) can grade a player on one target?

And like Bonefish said, I don't need someone to tell me when a player played poorly [Wills].

[Linked Image]

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ty, I love watching Baldys Breakdowns.

Go Browns!

[Linked Image]

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
j/c,

And like Bonefish said, I don't need someone to tell me when a player played poorly [Wills].

For those who don't know or understand, the PFF Offensive Grade is based on what the player does every play. In reference to Njoku, it's not only the 1 target and 1 reception, but also how he executed all the other plays he was on the field whether blocking or running pass routes. Njoku was on the field for 89% of the offensive snaps so he obviously had other duties than just that 1 reception play. According to PFF, our 14.137M 5th highest paid TE stunk up the joint or basically gave us the same type of play we've seen from him for the last 5-years except now we pay him like a league best TE - NOT.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by steve0255
Originally Posted by FL_Dawg
j/c,

For those who don't know or understand, the PFF Offensive Grade is based on what the player does every play. In reference to Njoku, it's not only the 1 target and 1 reception, but also how he executed all the other plays he was on the field whether blocking or running pass routes. Njoku was on the field for 89% of the offensive snaps so he obviously had other duties than just that 1 reception play. According to PFF, our 14.137M 5th highest paid TE stunk up the joint or basically gave us the same type of play we've seen from him for the last 5-years except now we pay him like a league best TE - NOT.

Who said that I don't understand? I fully understand, but I still do not agree.

Njoku was a pivotal piece, successfully blocking his responsibilities in our run game.

The fact that you have to bring his contact into the debate only goes to show your continued hate and contempt for him.

[Linked Image]

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
Legend
Legend
You make my point.

PFF says. We know how they grade. That does not mean their subjective analysis is all there is.

But go ahead keep posting the PFF bible. When you have time maybe rewatch the plays and have a your own take.

Maybe the offensive coordinator knows a thing or two.

Offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt on tight end David Njoku (quote via a team-provided transcript):

“David’s production was huge in the game, not just on the catches but his ability to run block and what he does with his physicality is special. He is a big, big part of our success in the run game, as well. We will get him more involved. We had him on a down-the-field throw using his speed. The linebacker added on late and it was our only sack of the game, but he was running wide open and that would have been a huge play to David if we had got that pressure picked up.”

Last edited by bonefish; 09/18/22 10:59 AM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I will have to say that people may have different opinions of PFF's grades. But what seems to be confusing some people is that you're entitled to your own opinion but not your own set of facts.

Whether people like to hear it or not you are 100% correct. People gush about Browns players getting a high PFF grade and then try to make excuses and question when a Browns player gets a bad PFF grade. They want to have it both ways depending on what suits them. I attempted to debate the point with you myself in the beginning, but after looking at it, you were right and I don't see anyone with the ability to put up any sound argument against what you're saying besides "I don't agree".

As it relates to your "hate for Njoku". How is it hate to point out they are paying a TE over 14 million a year based on "potential"? I haven't seen anyone answer a question that I asked about him some time ago. When have you seen an NFL TE not break out until his sixth season? And hey, I like Njoku. I hope he does great and that I'm wrong about him. He seems like a good guy and a hard worker. But that seems to be the go to line these days. If you have a legitimate question that people don't like, it must be because you hate something or somebody.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
You make my point.

PFF says. We know how they grade. That does not mean their subjective analysis is all there is.

But go ahead keep posting the PFF bible. When you have time maybe rewatch the plays and have a your own take.

I've never seen you complain about a single PFF grade where they rate a Browns player high. Only when they grade one low, like right now.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
For those who don't know or understand, the PFF Offensive Grade is based on what the player does every play.

Sites such as PFF that attempt to grade player performances based on what they see on film...their opinions are "amateur viewpoints"...nothing more. In the case of OLine blocking..the only individuals who will know if that OLman performed his job would be fellow OLmen from the same team or the coaches from that team.

Sites such as PFF are simply "guessing"...hoping they guess right on what that particular OLman is supposed to be doing on that particular play.

Each NFL team has it's own blocking scheme that is subject to change on every play and no matter how good PFF and such sites believe their person is at judging OLines, they are nothing more than "amateurs, guessing".

Especially when it comes to OLine, those folks from PFF and such sites are "amateurs, guessing"!

...and that is how PFF should be judged when it comes to judging OLineman...amateurs who are taking a guess..!

Last edited by mac; 09/18/22 11:08 AM.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Legend
Legend
Actually I watch the games and have my own take on how players play in the game.

PFF is a valuable resource. However, I have said many times their grades are not the whole story. Sometimes they confirm what I saw.

Sometimes they do not. I have watched the Panthers game. I know what I saw. I did not look at their grade till someone posted it.

I rewatched the game. I listened to AVP and Quincy Carrier. Both of them saw what I saw and were clear about it.

I have my view and I am sticking with it.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
You have no idea what you are talking about.

vers...I have laugh like hell at you...you don't know who I am or what my experience is when it comes to playing OLine...bring it on...PFF lover..!.. poke... rofl

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c,

I think that Njoku is being asked to do for us on a regular basis, what most other teams ask from their #1 TE to do on a limited basis. There is where apples are being compared to oranges.

Being asked to occupy or block a LB or a Safety is quite a different animal then being asked to down block on a DE as to give your RB and pulling OL the opportunity to execute an outside run with blockers leading the way.

He has come light years from where he was when we drafted him imo.

[Linked Image]

P
Legend
Legend
P
Like I said, everyone is entitled to their view or opinion. However facts sometimes tell a different story.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Facts don't tell stories. Facts are just Facts. The stories come from interpretation of the facts. PFF grades are facts in the sense that the number is what the number is, but a whole lot of interpretation went into that grade. Unfortunately, the people coming up with the grade don't have a "conversational level familiarity with the Browns language."

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Unfortunately, the people coming up with the grade don't have a "conversational level familiarity with the Browns language."

That's some of the best double speak I've seen on this board for a very long time. Thanks!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The facts are the tape. That is visual fact.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yes, I know anything with a difficulty above "See Spot run" is out of the ordinary in your reading. Glad I could help to expand your mind. Though, I don't think you used double speak correctly. Good attempt thumbsup

It's always nice to see people try to expand their vocabulary.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Ah, the old degrading other routine to make your feel better about yourself. I shouldn't be surprised. The fact you can't see the humor in what I quoted by you says more about you than it does me. But hey, if degrading others is the best you got. Obviously it is. Sad.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
How bout our Great Dane (aka: Hjalte Froholdt | 72) filled in after Teller went down, playing about 3/4 of the game.

My eyes did not deceive me when I noticed how well he looked in the preseason...no doubt, he is the real deal.

Being an OLine guy myself, it is a joy to watch him handle his man. I honestly believe he could play any position on OLine.

He needs to stay healthy and continue to improve...two thumbs to the Big Dawg. thumbsup thumbsup

Legend
Legend
He’s starting tomorrow too, correct? Hope he does well

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
Hope the team does well in no relation to any individual player except maybe the @uarterback.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
j/c:

Hjalte Froholdt has graded out fairly well this year according to PFF. His overall grade is 75. Low 80s in run blocking, which is good. Low 60s in pass blocking, which is below what you want. But, 75 is a nice grade. He just doesn't have enough snaps to qualify. His grade for Sunday was 69. Not bad.

I did see him get pancaked on pass play and he allowed penetration on the qb sneak that failed, but he did a nice overall job filling in for Teller. We are going to miss Teller, though.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Just when I start bragging on someone they fail to live up to expectations...'The Dane' got schooled in his first start against the Raven's tough defensive line/LB unit. As bad as the Dane was, the entire OLine was challenged by the Ravens defense and their average performance was not as bad as some individual performances.

Overall, the Browns OLine appeared to confused at times and the line calls made might have been an issue. No way to know that with the limited amount of knowledge about the OLine calls.

I will point out the obvious...Jed Wills had what might be his worst day in the NFL with sacks and penalties considered.

Last edited by mac; 10/25/22 10:01 AM.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
mac, going into the game, his overall grade was 75, which is good. Pass blocking was around 62. Run blocking was strong at 81.

After the game, his season's grades are as follows:

Run blocking: 76.6
Pass blocking: 48.2
Overall: 68.9

Overall grade is decent. Run blocking is good. Pass blocking is an issue. We saw too many quick pressures last week. Still, the guy is pretty decent. Good call by you on identifying the guy. He should provide good depth for us.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

OFFENSIVE LINE:

Joel Bitonio: 90.0 (60)

Jack Conklin: 79.8 (60)

Ethan Pocic: 66.5 (60)

Hjalte Froholdt: 60.3 (60)

Michael Dunn: 50.9 (3)

Jedrick Wills Jr.: 32.9 (60)

link

Last edited by mac; 10/25/22 10:36 AM.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns OL: It All Starts Up Front

Link Copied to Clipboard