Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1974787 10/01/22 08:46 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Phillips is next man up.

He now steps into a big role with the injury to Walker. Walker was a captain and team leader. In addition he wore the green dot.

That role now lays with Phillips.

He has good physical tools. He is long and fast. The potential is there.

This is a new role for him and one that carries a lot of responsibility.

Sometimes when a player is part time and comes in and off the field. It is harder to get into the flow of the game. Phillips seemed to play better as he stayed on the field.

This is a big test for him. He will be expected to hold this position for the rest of this season. He has a lot on the line. Play well and it is a big boost to his career. Falter and he may only be backup.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I've noticed a few times over the last 2 yaear when Philips has made good plays - from the eye test, he looks the part and doesn't appear over matched last couple of years. I think I remember him struggling a little his rookie year? Or maybe he was injured? As a third round pick - you would hope he's at the stage where he is ready to contribute. Walker has experience on his side and he's made played in coverage - but I don't remember him making big plays in the run game or jumping off the screen.

Big opportunity for Phillips - I hope he steps up and I don't expect a big drop off from Walker and possibly a bigger impact on the run game than Walker.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1974797 10/01/22 09:53 AM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Walker isn't very good. I was surprised they brought him back.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Here are his PFF grades and a scouting report from his college career.

PFF Grades:

Run: 41.3
Pass: 42.5
Pass Rush: 71.3
Overall: 38.0

JACOB PHILLIPS
LSU
LB
Prospect Info
COLLEGE
LSU
HOMETOWN
CLASS
Nashville, TN
Junior
HEIGHT
WEIGHT
ARMS
6' 3"
229 lbs
32 3/8"
HANDS
10"

Prospect Grade
Average Backup Or Special-Teamer

View All Prospects
2020 Draft Results
DRAFTED BY
CLEVELAND
BROWNS
Cleveland Browns
Round 3 ‧ Pick 33
Read More

Combine Results
u-unofficial
40 Yard Dash
Bench Press
--
Vertical Jump
Broad Jump
3 Cone Drill
20 Yd Shuttle
60 Yd Shuttle
--

Player Bio
Phillips took over a leadership role for the Tigers' inside linebacker group from Devin White as a junior and helped his team win a national title. He started all 15 games in the middle in 2019, leading the squad with 113 tackles (7.5 for loss). Phillips started 11 of 12 games played next to White in 2018, posting 87 tackles, 5.5 for loss, one interception (that he returned for a touchdown), and three pass breakups. The Nashville native and top-50 overall prospect nationally contributed in 12 games as a reserve (18 tackles) his true freshman season.

Analysis
By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Rounds 3-4

Overview
Phillips is a reliable option but lacks the alpha field demeanor and explosive athleticism teams look for. He has backup talent and should step into a special teams role quickly. Early tape was better than later tape as the competition level increased. He does an adequate job of handling his assignments but won't make that many plays outside of the scheme.

Strengths
Learns from mistakes and adjusts during game
Plays team-first, assignment-oriented football
Consistent to fit and leverage his gap
Can cover punts and kicks
Didn't miss many tackles in 2019
Good job of holding tight and not driving headfirst into the gap with no plans
Willing to wait for running back to clear the lane
Very productive tackle totals as two-year starter

Weaknesses
Lacks physical strength and alpha demeanor inside
Struggled to find positioning and play with confidence against Alabama
Redirected fairly easily by power
Below-average base to take on blocks in space
Average pursuit speed sideline to sideline
Not slippery when sliding past blocks
Average foot quickness for lateral scrapes
Absorbs blocks rather than delivering the blow
Can be hesitant to pull the trigger downhill
Drag-down tackler
Doesn't shock with hands in take-on
Below average pattern awareness to cover man-to-man
Slow gaining depth on spot drops

Sources Tell Us

"He's very quiet and he's not a natural leader. He was really solid this year but that scheme is set up for linebackers to run around and make a bunch of tackles." -- Area scout for NFC team

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jacob-phillips/32005048-4925-4322-4ff5-33f36c969da0

T
Legend
Legend
T
Jordan Kunaszyk, (go teat for tat) name a player, raise ya a player. ) ... you say tomato, i'll also say tomato because I've never heard anyone ever say tom-ah-to,

so who is going to step up? If the team has 5 defensive starters out. Who'll be the lineup?

Emm kay. Today = pitching
Tomorrow= catching.
I don't know, 3RD BAsE,
what's on 2nd and
Who is on first. Jordan Elliott, and Tommy Togiai,
$ione Taki Taki, Jacob Phillips, and Tony Fields, and maybe Jordan Kunaszyk

Linebackers and safeties, if you plan to stop the run <-- they need to step up.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Is there any Browns player, has there ever been a Browns player you actually like(d)?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
He's got the man-crush on Baker. Does that count?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
Is there any Browns player, has there ever been a Browns player you actually like(d)?

I like a lot of them. I have not seen enough of Phillips to offer an intelligent analysis. I decided to post information from two sources for informational purposes only and I did not offer an opinion one way or the other.

But.......why do you care? You have disowned the team and are rooting for Baker instead of the Browns. Good luck w/that.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Rookie safety D'Anthony Bell.
Put him in the game as a 3rd linebacker/safety hybrid, Just to rush the @uarterback.
He can blitz the Jordan Elliott gap if nothing else.

Legend
Legend
let’s hope he’s up for that challenge. He is way more athletic than Walker … pretty fast side to side, but also a little reckless IMO.

he did play well against Pittsburgh IIRC

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I like a lot of them. I have not seen enough of Phillips to offer an intelligent analysis.
That's the part difficult to understand,
If a waiter, brings me a steak, or a piece of cake, or a pie, or really anything, you can decide if you like it, if it's good in a matter of seconds,
it's the same with football.
And you can read a lot into those longwinded analysises to just pick out a few parts by reading between the lines.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I liked this kid Phillps when we drafted him. He's been hurt but now I think he's 100%. I picked him to be my surprise player for this year when we discussed that topic. Well, this is his chance and I'm really pulling for him. I think he has the tools to be more than a SP player and backup. Well see.

Rishuz #1974833 10/01/22 12:04 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
They did bring him back. Then they elected him captain.

He wore the green dot because they chose him. He is super popular as a player both here and when he was with the Colts.

He was playing well. He will never be a total stud but he is good player who had an important role.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Phillips has always been more than a special teams player.
Anthony Walker too.
Walker is hurt an all year injury, and Phillips had two all year injuries in the last 3 years.

If they both could get and stay healthy at the same time.

Legend
Legend
I think Atlanta will be a good test for Phillips.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Some of our players are going to have to step up tomorrow and grab the Bull by the horns. This is a winnable game and we need it.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Even when healthy our linebackers are the worst group in the league. Phillips is horrible, he will not be much. We should have brought in schobert or Martinez but Berry refuses to fix his mistakes. That’s why we still trot out the Phillips and Schwartz of the world. Going to be a rough stretch

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by leadtheway
Even when healthy our linebackers are the worst group in the league. Phillips is horrible, he will not be much. We should have brought in schobert or Martinez but Berry refuses to fix his mistakes. That’s why we still trot out the Phillips and Schwartz of the world. Going to be a rough stretch

Get over Schobert.

L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted by HotBYoungTurk

Get over Schobert.

pretty dumb statement..but then again I see the source. Don't need to "get over" anyone, I couldn't care less about Schobert, but he must have done something to you personally. Bottom line is both of the names I mentioned are better than the trash we are running with. Point is moot because Titans elevated him to active roster

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
T
Legend
Legend
T
Jacob Phillips is pretty solid.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't get the green dot stuff the last few years.

The guy wears the earpiece, gets the call from the sidelines and relays that to the guys in the huddle. Are players today so stupid they can't repeat things they are told? Is their ability to speak clearly so inferior other people can't understand what they are saying?

You get the call and repeat. I never saw Walker turning around and instructing the defensive backfield or D-line where to line up. Being the defensive green dot on D isn't the same as being a quarterback.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think the issue w/the green dot thing is that apparently different guys were wearing it this year. I think it was Ward who said that???? Also, we haven't always huddled up because Ward was shadowing the other team's best WR, so it is feasible that there were communication breakdowns. JJ said that huddling last week was a really big help w/communication.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by HotBYoungTurk

Get over Schobert.

pretty dumb statement..but then again I see the source. Don't need to "get over" anyone, I couldn't care less about Schobert, but he must have done something to you personally. Bottom line is both of the names I mentioned are better than the trash we are running with. Point is moot because Titans elevated him to active roster

See the source? Get out your feelings.

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Jacob Phillips

Link Copied to Clipboard