Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
#1976391 10/06/22 11:13 AM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
First preseason game last night.. that starting rotation even without Mobley was crazy. Philly got lit up, the floor spacing was unlike anything we've ever had. DM was as advertised. This might be one of the most fun years in Cavs history. If they could stay healthy it could be a huge step forward for them.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
2 members like this: Versatile Dog, FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
Go Cavs!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Great game. Had the feelings of a playoff atmosphere. Cavs come up short. Cavs win if Garland does not go out for the game in the 2nd quarter after getting jammed in the eye.

Mitchell was spectacular. Raul Neto is brutal.

It will be huge when Rubio returns to this team.

Cavs Notes
@CavsNotes
.@spidadmitchell
31 points are tied for the most EVER by a player in his @cavs
debut.

The only other Cavs player to score 30+ PTS in his debut was Ron Brewer (31 points) on 12/26/1981 vs. Milwaukee. (via @EliasSports
). #LetEmKnow

https://twitter.com/CavsNotes/status/1582915042605158400

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Yeah I was on the fence whether I prefered Garland or Sexton, Garland is dainty and always seems to be hurt..We def. need Rubio back. Cavs should cut Neto, you can't tell me he's the best option out there.. Rest of the team was looking great and held the lead most of the second half. Mitchell is scary good.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Getting jabbed in the eye is hardly "dainty". Geesh.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
V
Legend
Legend
V
I was unable to watch the game, so I looked up a game recap. I'll post it for others who live out of town. Also, those of you who watched the game can confirm or dispute points in the article. One thing that stood out to me was the 16 turnovers that led to 25 Toronto pts. Also, the Raptors had too many offensive rebounds.

Raptors overcome Mitchell's 31 points, beat Cavs 108-105

1:45
Donovan Mitchell scores 31 in Cavaliers debutDonovan Mitchell highlights vs. Toronto Raptors
ByAP
Updated: 9 hours ago

TORONTO -- — Pascal Siakam had 23 points and 11 rebounds before fouling out, O.G. Anunoby scored 10 of his 18 points in the fourth quarter and the Toronto Raptors beat the Cleveland Cavaliers 108-105 Wednesday night.

Gary Trent Jr. scored 19 points, and Scottie Barnes and Fred Van Vleet each had 15 as Toronto outscored Cleveland 32-21 in the final period.

Donovan Mitchell scored 31 points in his Cleveland debut, Jarrett Allen had 13 points and 10 rebounds, and Evan Mobley added 14 points for the Cavaliers, who held an eight-point lead through three quarters but failed to close it out.

Mitchell shot 12 for 21 and scored 18 in the second half.

“He’s an elite basketball player,” Cavaliers coach J.B. Bickerstaff said. “There’s not many guys in this league that are better than Donovan and capable of doing the things that he can do.”

Cedi Osman scored 17 points and Mitchell had nine assists for the Cavaliers, who are hoping to take a step forward this season after acquiring Mitchell from Utah over the summer. Cleveland reached the play-in tournament last spring, but was eliminated after losing in Brooklyn and at home to Atlanta.

Cleveland All-Star guard Darius Garland injured his left eye in a collision with Trent late in the second quarter and didn’t return.

“His head was clear and all those things but he was cut and bleeding pretty bad from the inside of his eyelid,” Bickerstaff said. “You miss an all-star. You talk about being able to stagger his and Donovan’s minutes so that one of those guys is always on the floor. We know through history what Darius is capable of and how he can carry an offense as well.”

Garland shot 2 for 8 and scored four points in 13 minutes.

“To see DG go down there, it’s tough,” Mitchell said. “I’m proud of the way this group responded.”

Toronto shot 8 for 22 from 3–point range through the first three quarters, but made 5 of 8 from long distance in the fourth.

“We played both ends like we needed to in the fourth quarter,” Raptors coach Nick Nurse said.

Toronto had 12 offensive rebounds to Cleveland’s six. The Cavaliers made 16 turnovers, leading to 25 points for the Raptors.

“We didn’t do a bunch of things that we can control,” Mitchell said.

The Cavaliers led 97-92 with 4:55 left in the fourth before Barnes scored and Anunoby made a pair of free throws that cut the deficit to one.

After Allen turned the ball over, Anunoby fed Barnes for a driving dunk that put Toronto up 98-97 with 3:31 left.

“That one time we let our guard down, they hit us with a hook in the fourth,” Mitchell said. “It’s hard to recover from that.”

Cleveland led 57-51 at the half. Mitchell scored 10 points in the third as the Cavs took an 84-76 lead to the fourth.

TIP-INS

Cavaliers: Caris LeVert had 10 points and seven assists. … Osman took Garland’s place to begin the second half. … Cleveland shot 14 for 22 in the second quarter and 9 for 18 in the third. … F Mamadi Diakite (not with team), G Ricky Rubio (left knee) and G-F Dylan Windler (right ankle) were not available.

Raptors: Barnes had a team-high seven assists. … Toronto has eight international players, leading the league for the second consecutive season. Dallas, Indiana and Sacramento have seven. … C Khem Birch (left knee), F Chris Boucher (left hamstring) and F Otto Porter Jr. (left hamstring) were not available.

https://www.espn.com/nba/recap/_/gameId/401468023

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Originally Posted by YTownBrownsFan
Getting jabbed in the eye is hardly "dainty". Geesh.

He's constantly hurt is my point.. He's a great player but very fragile. His being injured kept cavs from playoffs last year. Some players are just prone to injury, he's one of those guys.

Legend
Legend
No Garland, no Problem.

Cavaliers win 128-96. Mitchell with 32/9/8. The bench made sure that the Bulls had no chance to come back. Contributions all around. Nice win.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

2 members like this: Milk Man, FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
RoLo...

2 members like this: DeisleDawg, GratefulDawg
Legend
Legend
I think some fans are surprised with how good Mitchell is … I have an uncle who is a die hard Jazz fan, so I watch them quite often … and Mitchell is GOOD

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
I got to watch the game because Direct TV is having a free preview for NBA League Pass right now. Some observations:

--I like how Mitchell tried to let other guys get established early on. We got down early and he went off. He is a very athletic player. His athleticism reminds me of OBJs. It's just different.

--Love played very well. Hit multiple threes, grabbed a ton of rebounds, and took a couple of charges.

--Mobley is smooth. Needs to rebound better on the defensive end.

--LOL at the Lopez hook shots. Ugly. But damn, he makes them. I think he can play a role on this team.

--Cedi had a very good game. He is playing w/more confidence than I remember from previous years.

--I thought Neto did a nice job. Wasn't a liability.

--LeVert is long and made some nice plays. He's good in the open court. Needs to finish stronger on some of his drives.

--I didn't get a good feel for Allen. He made some plays, but I thought he was a better rebounder.

--Speaking of.......this team needs to rebound better on the defensive boards.

--Getting Garland back will give us two guys who can create off the dribble.

--When is Rubio supposed to be back?

--This team is very athletic and has a lot of nice role players that can work w/our two stars. Fun team to watch.

1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't have twitter

I do appreciate the twitter posts

you guys/gals put up

for me and others to see !!

Thank you all !!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg
I don't have twitter

I do appreciate the twitter posts

you guys/gals put up

for me and others to see !!

Thank you all !!

Twitter is free, you just have to give them your soul as collateral. laugh

1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Mitchell might be the most talented guard we’ve had in my lifetime. Man if we would have had him during lebron years would have been unthinkable. Hell put lebron on this team and we’d win 75

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Tito is cleveland royalty

Legend
Legend
What a game

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Cavs are going to be so fun this year, hats off to Altman

2 members like this: Rishuz, Milk Man
M
Legend
Legend
M
Great game by the Cavs on a back-to-back. Great team effort.

Mitchell has been incredible.

M
Legend
Legend
M

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by leadtheway

I wouldn't even bother with the Browns. Guardians and Cavs deserve Cleveland's fandom.

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
yeah thats what I was saying in the guardian thread.. This town needs to stop pretending its a football town.. worst coached and ran team in the City while you have two extremely young teams with great coaching and FO's, give them the money, especially the Guardians so Dolan can spend and get some more offense for next year. Browns are 10-15 years from being watchable at this rate

Legend
Legend
Cavs will make up for what the Browns destroy

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
Cavs will make up for what the Browns destroy

It sounds like this is what the fans are thinking as well based on Mitchell's description of the arena last night. He basically said couldn't believe how awesome it was.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Rishuz
Originally Posted by leadtheway

I wouldn't even bother with the Browns. Guardians and Cavs deserve Cleveland's fandom.

Most of Cleveland is doing this. Guardians completely rejuvenated the fan base in the city and most of the chatter is about the Cavs.

However, if you listen to local sports talk it's 90% Browns dominated. I believe the primary reason for this is that both WKNR and 92.3 are the radio home of the Browns and WTAM which is news/politics radio is home of the Guardians and the Cavs. WKNR and 92.3 have vested interest in jamming Browns talk down the city's throat.

Listened most of the day today on my drive to NY and the Cavs win opening night win and Mitchell's incredible performance was but a footnote on most of the shows. Otherwise, right back to Browns talk.

L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
Yeah it’s sad. Both those teams are 10x more deserving of loyalty

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Is Lebron washed up and time for him to retire or do the Lakers not have the supporting cast to win?

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
Legend
Legend
31-15-8
20-10-6
31-8-8

It ain't LeBron.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

You tell 'em, Chuck...

V
Legend
Legend
V
I just watched the one game, but they are a fun team to watch. I think there is today is the last day of the free NBA League PASS promo. I will watch tonight's game if that is true. Looking forward to it. I think the Cavs have one game coming up against Boston that is on ESPN and I'll get to watch when they play Charlotte. Wish I could watch more.

1 member likes this: Milk Man
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I just watched the one game, but they are a fun team to watch. I think there is today is the last day of the free NBA League PASS promo. I will watch tonight's game if that is true. Looking forward to it. I think the Cavs have one game coming up against Boston that is on ESPN and I'll get to watch when they play Charlotte. Wish I could watch more.

You could. You could buy the pass, but I get it , I wouldn't do that either. Fan ot not, I am not so big a fan to pay to watch 80 or so games. The only sport i would pay for a pass is the NFL. Only because you are talking 17 games. I can do that. No way cold I watch a 162 game baseball season or 80 game basketball or hockey season.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Yeah, I could buy it. I did have it at one time. But, I've soured on the NBA as a whole. Load management hurts the game. Tanking hurts it even more. The social justice stuff was over the top. Guys like Kyrie and Ben Simmons not wanting to pay and then wanting paid for it. I used to love watching hoops, but not anymore due to those factors. I do like watching the Cavs, though.

I have always had Sunday Ticket since I moved out of the local area. I watch a ton of other games on Sundays. I often have three TVs going at once w/the sound muted on two of them. Thus, it's worth the investment.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

You could. You could buy the pass, but I get it , I wouldn't do that either. Fan ot not, I am not so big a fan to pay to watch 80 or so games. The only sport i would pay for a pass is the NFL. Only because you are talking 17 games. I can do that. No way cold I watch a 162 game baseball season or 80 game basketball or hockey season.

They're the same price. Are you saying you'll feel like you ripped yourself off if you don't watch every game?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
Cavs beat the Magic. 6 guys in double digits. Nice game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
And did it with poor shooting nights from Mitchell, LeVert and Love.

Cavs did what they had to to get the win tonight. Doubt Garland is back against Boston after seeing his swollen eye. My guess is the hold him out until next Wednesday, at home, against Boston.

Banchero will be a star in the NBA.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Vers,

I haven’t had a chance to get to watch a game because of the time difference and not really into getting a game pass. What I’ve done is search on YouTube cavaliers vs ___ game highlights. I did this an hour ago (4pm) so that’s 10 pm eastern time. So it comes out fairly quick. It’s full game highlights, I know it’s a cut up and there’s more to the game then a highlight will show (ie. the game drama building up to the climax), but it’s a good 10 minute (average) watch. Example from tonight below.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by FATE
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

They're the same price. Are you saying you'll feel like you ripped yourself off if you don't watch every game?

I don't know if I would say ripped off, probably more about not caring all that much. I know I wouldn't watch all that many games. The NBA is my least favorite sport. Always has been. I root for the Cavs because they are Cleveland. If Cleveland didn't have an NBA team I wouldn't watch NBA basketball very long if I had control over the TV. My interest level is maybe a 6 out of 10 for the Cavs and maybe .50 for the rest of the NBA.

I'd rather watch bull riding over some random NBA game, and I can't say I like bull riding all that much. At least it's interesting.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks. I'll check it out because the Free NBA League Pass expired before last night. I must have had the dates mixed up. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Cavs/NBA 2022-2023

Link Copied to Clipboard