W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Apparently, Nick Chubb is currently 3rd in the NFL with 4th quarter carries at 36; 1st in total yards; 1st in TDs.

https://www.footballdb.com/statistics/nfl/player-splits/rushing/fourth-quarter/2022?sort=rushatt

Also:

We have reached the point where folks on this board are creating narratives that don't truly exist just so they can mitch and boan more.

How often is LeBron not on the court? He doesn't have to take every single shot to be effective due to his presence. Running empty backfields with Jacoby - and with Chubb on your team - is a fire-able offense. Chubb doesn't have to get the ball to make the defense prepare for it.

These "stats" are so lacking.

3 members like this: PitDAWG, DawgPound75, mgh888
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Blame it on the numbers...the data tells the Browns everything they need to do.

Chris Mortensen posted something a couple years ago explaining how the Browns front office works..if something doesn't go right they blame it on "the data".

Speaking from the viewpoint of someone who has played LBer...whenever a RB comes on the field and you know he's a threat everytime he touches the ball...you

want know where he is on EVERY PLAY. Best way to use Chubb to his full potential is move him around as a decoy, knowing the opponent has to account for him on
every play...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

V
Legend
Legend
V
FYI: Nick Chubb has 126 carries on the season, which ranks 3rd most in the entire NFL.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/rushing-plays

It's tempting to give him more carries, but RBs wear down. I started a thread this off-season about best RB duos in the NFL. I think it's important to have guys to split the load. It keeps guys fresher and helps reduce injuries as their bodies wear down. I also listed some of the other duos that were good. It's trending in the NFL and I have to give the Browns credit for helping to lead the way in this trend while still giving their star plenty of carries.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I have to admit I am a bit confused on this call. Some say it's on the center. However, a center is permitted to look down like that. The call on the field was that it was Dunn. The former ref said on the telecast said it was a penalty on Dunn because he was more than 2 or 3 spots away from where the defenders came into the neutral zone. However, there were players from Baltimore that made contact on the play. This place would have went nuts in the past over this call. Now, it's a different story. Anyway......watch this.

Btw---Cameron Justice said an apology was forthcoming from the NFL. However, late today, Stefanski said he has not received an adequate explanation from the league.

M
Legend
Legend
M
The explanation was exact and very clear on the broadcast. It is also clear on the slow mo in your clip. The LT or LG moves as a reaction to the Ravens encroachment - he moves before there is contact. Because he is more than 2 players away from the Raven player who encroaches - the penalty is actually on the OL.

It's a weird rule but correctly called.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
Looking at it again.........Dunn doesn't even move. The guy beside him moved, but only after contact was made by the Ravens. You can cross into the neutral zone on defense, but you can't make contact. This was a terrible call in my opinion.

M
Legend
Legend
M
The call was correct, but the refs incorrectly called it on Dunn. Should have been called on Jordan Elliot who moves first before the Ravens make contact with the a Browns player and Ravens were still in the neutral zone.

1 member likes this: FATE
V
Legend
Legend
V
Thanks. I never saw the angle where Elliot's foot moved.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
milk...IMO, if you click on the "watch on youtube" link it shows the Cooper pass interference call and then the York FG attempt showing the whole line on the FG attempt..clearly you will see that the Browns movement occurred AFTER the Ravens had already moved.

Watch for yourself...click the "watch on youtube" link..

V
Legend
Legend
V
Man, that's close. I think contact was made before Elliot's foot moved. Very close.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Man, that's close. I think contact was made before Elliot's foot moved. Very close.

Yes, it is very close, but if you rewatch the video in slow motion, you can clearly see that the Browns OLine on the left side reacted to the Ravens movement.

Another point I will make...look at how the Ravens HC and entire bench react to that call/play...you can see Harbaugh yelling that the center moved the ball or something like that and the ENTIRE RAVENS BENCH yelling about what the Browns did on that play...then you see the Browns sideline and Stefanski's reaction to the same play...how can the reaction of the two benches be so different...?

Maybe it's just me, but I want a coach who is ready to "fight for every call" in an effort to win a football game...I will follow that man !! But IMO, the Browns appear to be so prim and proper in their approach to the game of football.

It seems that the Browns are so concerned about presenting an image that lacks emotion, but promotes restraint and intelligence in an effort to appear to be the smartest franchise in the NFL. This as we continue to lose games in every way imaginable..even a bad call on a FG attempt.

Crowquill may have illustrated the image that the Browns franchise presents the best in his art work this morning...Crowquill

Last edited by mac; 10/26/22 08:27 AM.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Whether the call was right or not, we lost. We've won games this year from more blatant mistakes and missed calls including one where the refs didn't know the rules. Seems like some are still trying to deflect rather than admit we are what our record says we are. Back up QB or not.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
milk...IMO, if you click on the "watch on youtube" link it shows the Cooper pass interference call and then the York FG attempt showing the whole line on the FG attempt..clearly you will see that the Browns movement occurred AFTER the Ravens had already moved.

Watch for yourself...click the "watch on youtube" link..

Mac, I do not disagree that the Ravens moved first. However, it's explained that, yes the Raven moved first and were in the neutral zone, which is not yet a penalty. The Browns player then false just before the Ravens players makes contact with the Browns player. Therefore, the penalty was on the Browns. Had the Ravens made contact with the Browns player before Jordan Phillips moved his leg, it would have been a penalty on the Ravens.

Mitchell Schwartz explains it as well, though, he says its on Bryant instead of correctly on Phillips who moved first.

My question is, why wasn't Bitonio in on that play? Bitonio was in on the GW kick against Carolina. If I recall, Bitonio was asked why he wasn't in on that play to block and he was not sure the reason. I could be remembering this incorrectly.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
milk...my understanding of the rules...if the defense enters the neutral zone, causing an offensive lineman to move (react) it is a penalty on the defense..called encroachment on the defense...end of story..!! That is exactly what the Ravens did. Did the Ravens HC and bench reaction influence the Officials...pisses me off that the Browns HC and bench have to be prim and proper, never making a fuss even when the game is one the line.

The Browns sure are A NICE TEAM...

The Browns got screwed on that penalty call and just accepted it like OH WELL..!

Last edited by mac; 10/26/22 10:31 AM.

2 members like this: FL_Dawg, THROW LONG
V
Legend
Legend
V
The Browns yell at each other in the locker room following a tough loss and they are said to have a terrible culture instead of that they still care about the outcome of games.

The Browns don't throw a hissy fit because they probably thought the call was going to go against Baltimore and they are said to not care and be all prim and proper.

People are manufacturing things to pile on to a team they are upset w/because of the QB situation.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by mac
milk...my understanding of the rules...if the defense enters the neutral zone, causing an offensive lineman to move (react) it is a penalty on the defense..called encroachment on the defense...end of story..!! That is exactly what the Ravens did. Did the Ravens HC and bench reaction influence the Officials...pisses me off that the Browns HC and bench have to be prim and proper, never making a fuss even when the game is one the line.

The Browns got screwed on that penalty call and just accepted it like OH WELL..!

The movement must be adjacent for encroachment.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
First, QB hasn't got a damn thing to do with Stefanski being MILK-TOAST over the officials call...so take your QB BS and flush it..!

Ever heard it said that a team often reflects the demeanor of it's Head Coach...my experience with HCes is that there is truth to that claim. The Browns players have become an extension of Stefanski's attitude and demeanor..not all the Browns players as some still voice their opinions behind closed doors, in the locker room. But you can clearly see how the Ravens, with their Super Bowl and Division winning history react to something as minute as an off sides call.

If something doesn't change with the Browns...like someone in the organization showing some leadership qualities..like a HC or GM or maybe even the owners wife...if something doesn't change, nothing is going to change.

1 member likes this: Floquinho
P
Legend
Legend
P
Yeah, having players yelling at each other in the locker room after the game is a wonderful thing!

rofl

And you don't have to worry about people piling on. You somehow manage to shovel the crap that's happening with this team much faster than people can add to the pile.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
_
Originally Posted by mac
First, QB hasn't got a damn thing to do with Stefanski being MILK-TOAST over the officials call...so take your QB BS and flush it..!

Ever heard it said that a team often reflects the demeanor of it's Head Coach...my experience with HCes is that there is truth to that claim. The Browns players have become an extension of Stefanski's attitude and demeanor..not all the Browns players as some still voice their opinions behind closed doors, in the locker room. But you can clearly see how the Ravens, with their Super Bowl and Division winning history react to something as minute as an off sides call.

If something doesn't change with the Browns...like someone in the organization showing some leadership qualities..like a HC or GM or maybe even the owners wife…if something doesn't change, nothing is going to change

100% this.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Yeah, having players yelling at each other in the locker room after the game is a wonderful thing!

rofl

And you don't have to worry about people piling on. You somehow manage to shovel the crap that's happening with this team much faster than people can add to the pile.

Of course, we can't have any acknowledgement of locker room issues because that defeats the BS narrative he's been pushing for a year. You know what else has been happening for over a year, not with the undying support for a HC that is proving with each passing week that he's a below average HC.

Nobody has talked much about this so I will. For well over a year or two now, there has been a consensus that the Cleveland Browns have the best 2-headed rushing attack in football. Even with that strength, the FO and Stefanski thought it necessary to throw all morals to the wind and go after Watson. Even with the Watson suspension though, talk still abounded that the Browns were a division threat because after all, they have the best 2-headed rushing attack and OL in the NFL. Some will even say that with the brilliant offensive mind of Stefanski we should contend. so, how has that offensive juggernaut been working for the OC (I mean HC) Stefanski?

Week 7, the Browns were out rushed by BAL 160-113 a loss
Week 6, the Browns were out rushed by NEP 98-70 a loss
Week 5, the Browns were out rushed by LAC 238-213 a loss
Week 4, the Browns were out rushed by ATL 202-177 a loss
Week 3, the Browns out gained PIT by 171-104 a win
Week 2, the Browns out gained NYJ by 184-93 a loss
Week 1, the Browns out gained CAR by 217-54 a win

So far n 2022, every game the Browns have been beat at their own game, running the ball, they have lost. The best running back tandem in the NFL have been outrushed in 4 of 7 games this season and they were all losses.

To take this a little further, how have the Browns trended with this stat?

2022, 4 of 5 losses out rushed by the opponents 698 - 573
2021, 7 of 9 losses out rushed by the opponents 817 - 590
2020, 4 of 5 loses out rushed by the opponents 700 - 359
2020 playoffs, 1 of 1 loss out rushed by the opponent 123 - 112

Stefanski's career Browns record going into week 8 now sits at 20-22 including the playoffs. 16 of those 20 loses with the best running back tandem in the NFL occurred with the opponents out gaining the Browns on the ground.

This just shows that not only does Stefanski fail to adjust his offense depending on what the other team is doing, he obviously is totally uninvolved with adjustments on defense as to what the opponents are doing to his defense. This is a constant 2 1/2-year trend that is continuing to raise its ugly head in 2022 and will continue. When 80% of your losses over the last 2 1/2-years comes from the opponent beating you at your own strength, something is wrong in the throne room.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: Floquinho
P
Legend
Legend
P
Stefanski doesn't sign players. You could be right that he supported the idea of signing watson. But you could also be wrong about that. As far as people's expectations, that's on them. After all was said and done I predicted 7 wins this year and I thought that was being optimistic. The Browns have been out rushed because the D is terrible on the interior of the DL. Not because they don't have a great running game. To back that up the Browns are ranked third in rushing yards in the NFL with 1145 rushing yards.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/stat/rushing

I'm not one who thinks Stefanski isn't without his faults. I'm also not one who tries to blame him for everything some of which is beyond his control.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Stefanski's career Browns record going into week 8 now sits at 20-22 including the playoffs. 16 of those 20 loses with the best running back tandem in the NFL occurred with the opponents out gaining the Browns on the ground.

This just shows that not only does Stefanski fail to adjust his offense depending on what the other team is doing, he obviously is totally uninvolved with adjustments on defense as to what the opponents are doing to his defense. This is a constant 2 1/2-year trend that is continuing to raise its ugly head in 2022 and will continue. When 80% of your losses over the last 2 1/2-years comes from the opponent beating you at your own strength, something is wrong in the throne room.

Steve...I sure can't disagree with your take above...get this..Stefanski played DB at Penn, named FRESHMAN OF THE YEAR...yet he shows absolutely little to no interest in the Browns defense...and one of the main issues with the Browns defense...THE DEFENSIVE BACKFIELD.

Stefanski wants to be and IS the Browns Offensive Coordinator...after spending ONLY 1 yr as OC for the Vikings. It's time for Browns fans to face up to the fact, the Browns have not had a qualified HC for years and the one we have now is on OJT.

Stefanski doesn't know how to be a Head Coach in the NFL and is learning how to be an Offensive Coordinator.

Last edited by mac; 10/26/22 02:52 PM.

Legend
Legend
When I saw LA outrush us WITH EASE … I knew we weren’t long for the season. That was pathetic and I knew NE would follow suit.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
L
Legend
Legend
L
Have we elevated a TE off the practice squad? Cuz NJoku and brown were hurt Sunday.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac

So you would feel better if the coach was to rant and rave? You know that wouldn't have changed anything, right?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Browns yell at each other in the locker room following a tough loss and they are said to have a terrible culture instead of that they still care about the outcome of games.

The Browns don't throw a hissy fit because they probably thought the call was going to go against Baltimore and they are said to not care and be all prim and proper.

People are manufacturing things to pile on to a team they are upset w/because of the QB situation.

First of all, what you say is happening isn't what really is happening in that locker room. There have been no less than 4 players that have gone public about issues in that locker room. You my friend, spent months berating another player for doing that and to be fair, you have singled out JJIII this time. What this does have is an issue on the team that was called out last year and now is festering to the point where numerous players are calling it out. Just as you made assumptions that the person involved last year was tearing apart the locker room, it is still happening but now it's at least 4-fold. As much as you want to try and convince the other posters here that this is a conspiracy because of an ill felt QB situation, it's actually something that started last year and has continued to grow under the watch of your "can do no wrong" HC Stefanski. When players start going public it usually means there's no leadership being exhibited, and they fell they have no choice. It could have been addressed last year but instead the player was chastised. Now it has grown to numerous players publicly complaining with no end in sight. Hell, one of the players is Cooper who wasn't even here last year. Face it, Stefanski has lost the locker room and that's not a good sign for this team. LOL- but you just keep blaming it on the guy you continually display your hatred for on a daily basis. News Flash: he's not on the team anymore!

2 members like this: PitDAWG, mgh888
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by mac

So you would feel better if the coach was to rant and rave? You know that wouldn't have changed anything, right?

When a coach fights for a call, they know the chances are slim that the call will be overturned...the point of showing some emotion on a flag that clearly could have and imo, should have gone the Browns way...the fuss raised might help influence the next call. Why do you believe Harbaugh argues penalty flags at every opportunity...he knows if doesn't get this call...he might be able to influence a future call...and it sure seems that Harbaugh gets more than a fair shake when it comes.

Secondly, the HC can utilize a close call such as Stefanski was facing to send a message to his own players that the Browns are going to fight for every call. This HC is asking for a max effort from his players...but won't even fight for a close call that did influence whether the Browns won the game.

How do you believe the Browns players viewed Stefanski's reaction to the Ravens off sides..?

Utilizing psychology...some coaches know how to use it to their advantage..some don't...the Browns are A NICE TEAM.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
One of the issues I see is that, if a player isn't performing
Up to expected standards, he has no fear of being benched
Or getting his snaps reduced. The players have no.fear
Of Stefanski doing that.
Stefanski is good at X's and O's, but is not a coach to
Put players in their place. It's Just not in his DNA.
This team is very reminiscent of past Browns teams
Very soft and lacking fire

1 member likes this: Rishuz
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

2 members like this: GratefulDawg, PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

I can't Like this enough.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

3 members like this: Ballpeen, FATE, GratefulDawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
You'll like this part even more!

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
Browns are giving their long snapper a $865,000 signing bonus.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1586038190972211200

3 members like this: Ballpeen, PrplPplEater, GratefulDawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
I's it me or is activity on the board at an all time low for this point in a season?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I noticed the same thing. Frustration, disappointment and angriness over the way we lose will do that.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
I's it me or is activity on the board at an all time low for this point in a season?

There's not much to talk about.
In years past, when we'd hit this point in a failed season, we'd shift to talking about what needs to be fixed, what players we should get, etc.... but, here we are with a nearly stacked roster and we're still seeing the exact same ineptness we've seen for over two decades.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

3 members like this: Rishuz, PitDAWG, AZBrown
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

V
Legend
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
Two LBs and Cortez Broughton -- a 6'2" / 293lb Defensive Tackle. 2019 7th round pick by the Chargers, later signed by Chiefs. 12 games over three seasons: 1 tackle / 1 pass defended.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mgh888

888...just another WASTED YEAR, filled with promises and failures.

IMO, the coaching staff didn't work hard enough to teach football in the offseason and preseason and that led to giving games away that the Browns should have won.

I'm not sure that the Browns players believe in this coaching staff after losing games we should have won. That is also a real turn off for the fans who recognize a mess when they see one.

Legend
Legend
In terms of the board inactivity … also to remember: we have no draft interest either, so that sucks too.

It feels like just another wasted year of our lives w/the Browns

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes

Link Copied to Clipboard