Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
L
Legend
Legend
L
You’re one of the posters - and their ain’t that many, me included - who seem to have excellent football IQ. Thanks for that explanation.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This will probably draw more negative comments than appreciative comments about the play design, but.....oh well.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!

Just kidding, bro wink

That was a beautiful play design. I can't stop watching it. Whoever that RDE is (can't tell because my pupils are dilated still from my eye exam) really took Jonah Williams right out of the play. Perfect design and execution.

I watched your JOK play and it has me wondering. Is it more a matter of discipline or is it a lack of clear assignments. I know with some schemes/play calls you are supposed to shoot a gap, and others you are supposed to maintain your discipline so as to not give the RB an easy choice in gap. It would be feasible to speculate that we have so many "green" youngsters playing at LB that perhaps they can't help themselves from jumping the gun, but hell if I know.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
That was a cool play. I see Burns also agrees that it takes Woods 8 weeks to get here. The D will be decent from here on out, just watch, it's a pattern. They might still struggle here and there, but they will be much better overall now.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Myles was the RDE. He collapsed the edge and Deion Jones looped around and came free. We had Bryan at RDT, Wright at the other DT, and Clowney at LDE. As I mentioned earlier, there were times when we had 4 DEs in there, w/Thomas added and Bryan out. I think we were able to run that particular front for two reasons.

1. We were winning big and the Bengals had pretty much abandoned the run. Having 4 DEs who are better pass rushers was smart.

2. Cinci has been running out of shotgun almost exclusively. In the previous week, they lined up in shotgun 100% of the time. That's easier to scheme against when a team is so predictable.

I'll try to answer your question about the other video that involved JOK. That defensive play design was just about perfect for that play. JOK chose to attack the inside shoulder, which left a hole outside of him. JJ displayed almost no effort to go after the back, but he was supposed to fill where JOK went. I don't think was ignorant of his assignment. It's a fundamental technique that you learn in middle school. His job was to get to the outside shoulder of the offensive linemen and force the back to either try to go through him or cut back inside. I just think that JOK isn't the strongest guy around. He's light in the pants. He was trying to use his quickness to get to the ball carrier instead of getting physical w/the guard. He does make plays doing that at times, but it really compromises your gap integrity when guys don't fulfill their responsibilities. That play was all about player error. JOK attacking the wrong shoulder. Thomas and Bryan getting gap blocked and not setting any kind of edge and JJ's lack of effort. The only one who did his job was Newsome. He was the boundry corner and he correctly played outside/in technique.

3 members like this: dawglover05, FATE, Hammer
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Totally agree with your play assessment here.

I would also add that Phillips was really slow react and fill that gap. I do not think he processes things quick enough. His reaction time is woeful.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Agreed. That seemed to be a common thing w/Phillips on many plays that I saw.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
That was a cool play. I see Burns also agrees that it takes Woods 8 weeks to get here. The D will be decent from here on out, just watch, it's a pattern. They might still struggle here and there, but they will be much better overall now.

Is it discernible that our guys "woke" up...Woods figured it out...or are D Jones and TakiTaki better fits?

1 member likes this: Hammer
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Thank you, sir. That really helps clarify.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
A question. Why does it take Joe Woods 8 weeks to figure it out especially when he has basically, the same personnel? Not to mention the same thing happened last year too.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
A question. Why does it take Joe Woods 8 weeks to figure it out especially when he has basically, the same personnel? Not to mention the same thing happened last year too.

I'm not a football coaching junkie, but to me, I think Woods wants to run a bunch of complex schemes instead of using the strengths of his personnel. It is almost as if the simpler the defensive call, the more effective they are. I think this happened last year too. The talent is there, IMO, simplify the scheme and let these players use their talent to produce. That being said, there are a lot of times when , in my uneducated mind, the scheme looks right, but the players are undisciplined.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
1 member likes this: Jester
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If that's the case, then hopefully Woods has learned to keep it simple. Maybe it's not too late.

Legend
Legend
I agree with your take. Communication errors, rarely. Human error. But some coaching failure has to occur as part of each one. Too complex in calls or scheme? Bad mix of personnel? We seem to place a premium on disguising and surprising on defense. Ski on O as well IMO. We ARE making it rocket science, and we have failed in games this year. Last week showed us off. Simpler, faster, tougher. Part of the success must have been due to who wasn't on the field. Some newcomers showed up. Woods showed a simpler, harder game. Success is its own reward. We will need to be tougher for the next stretch.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I was curious about a couple of things because I read that good coaches make adjustments when things are not going well. I also read in the Game Day forum something about how the Browns have so many blown coverages and teams are passing all over us. So, I took a look at the stats. Here some interesting stats that show that after a shaky start, the Browns pass defense has really improved.

The Browns rank 9th overall in passing yards allowed even after starting the season off slowly.

The Browns rank 9th overall in completion percentage.

The Browns rank 12th overall in TDs allowed.

On the negative side, the Browns only have 3 interceptions, which is tied for 27th overall.

Also, consider the Browns against some of the very best qbs in the league.

Joe Burrow was coming off of a game in which he threw for 481 yards. He is averaging 281.7 yds per game. We held him to 193 yards through the air.

Justin Herbert is averaging 281.8 yds per game. He had 228 against us.

Lamar is averaging 196.4 yds per game. He had a measly 94 against us.

It seems to me that our coaching staff has made in-season adjustments to improve the pass defense despite some saying they haven't. It also seems to me that our pass defense has not been as putrid as many are claiming. Now, they may give up 469 yards or so to Tua, like Baltimore did and make my argument look weak. However, facts are typically looked at as a good thing in most circles.

Legend
Legend
Good post.

I have mixed feelings about Woods. The defense has played well "at times."

The issue has been consistency. In 2020 we all remember that right? Andrew Sendejo's name brings back the horror of the secondary. Yet we won games missing loads of talent in the secondary.

2021 we drafted Newsome. We signed free agents: John Johnson, Troy Hill, Anthony Walker and Malcolm Smith.

2022 we add Emerson, Greedy is still here. Ward signs a big extension.

Lots of reasons to feel good about the defense.

We come out and lose in ugly fashion. Defensive disfunction.

The last couple games adjustments have been made with good results.

I don't like the pattern. When there are big swings in how you play on defense. That is not a good sign.

These last nine games IMO puts Woods in the hot seat. The defense has to reach a level of consistent performance.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I'd agree w/that.

Legend
Legend
j/c...

Man, it would be like a dream for any coordinator knowing he's going up against a Joe Woods defense that Sunday.

No creativity with a team that gives no real effort with their backs against the wall.

NO scheming that will EVER make your QB uncomfortable.

ZERO, ZIP, NADA.

If Myles Garrett can't beat your double-team all day, you have nothing to worry about.

This silly experiment needs to be over soon. Trying to meld a play-it-safe, analytics-driven defensive scheme with a coach that's in way over his head is not working.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
R
Legend
Legend
R
Myles can't beat single blocking today. Looks completely uninterested.

Legend
Legend
This defense is incompetent. Woods needs to go. The previous 2 games haven't changed my mind. He beat an overrated bungle team without their best weapon.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
yall already know what imma say

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Again, who's responsible for the team? Wood's might be the sacrificial lamb eventually but that won't change the fact that it was Stefanski's selection, and he's done nothing to fix the issue in 3-years. Just the facts...........

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Well, the defensive performance against Miami probably sealed Woods' fate. He will most likely be fired after the season. Not sure who will replace him, but it will probably lead to a lot of players being shipped out and others brought in w/the highest of hopes.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by steve0255
Just the facts...........

You know that 'Facts' when they confirm a negative about the team are not welcome and will be dismissed in general as "posts from that crowd" ....

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Well, the defensive performance against Miami probably sealed Woods' fate. He will most likely be fired after the season. Not sure who will replace him, but it will probably lead to a lot of players being shipped out and others brought in w/the highest of hopes.

So, here we go again. smh. The Browns just can't get right.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg

So, here we go again. smh. The Browns just can't get right.

The good thing IMO is it is far easier to revamp a D and scheme than it is to do that with the O. I don't think it all that bad of a "here we go" moment.

It's not like a head coach change and or FO change.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
True, but the 4-2-5 is designed to have lighter, faster, more athletic players than other schemes. The only big man they want is at the NT and perhaps the other DT. Myles can play in any scheme. Clowney will be gone due to lack of production and cost. The LBers will need replaced. Probably all the safeties. There is not a DT on the roster worth keeping. Young guys like Thomas and Wright probably won't fit in the new scheme.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

#FreeBrownsD

Tackles are tackles.
2 members like this: tastybrownies, FATE
M
Legend
Legend
M
There is not a DT on the roster worth keeping. Young guys like Thomas and Wright probably won't fit in the new scheme.

Someone help me clarify - for months I've been reading that the DT's were too light for the 4-2-5 defense ... not that they are trash. So is the current thinking that Stefanski and Berry managed to go through the entire 2021 off season and decide to keep starters at the DT position that won't start for any NFL team no matter the system? But somehow it's not Stefanski or Berry's fault?

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Originally Posted by steve0255
Again, who's responsible for the team?

Jimmy and Dee Haslem. The Cleveland Browns will never win **** while they own the team.

"If it weren't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college"
GO ROCKETS
1 member likes this: SaintDawg
C
Rookie
Rookie
C
I know a few on the board respect Quincy Carrier views about the team. He's ready to throw the whole defense out except maybe six players. Search... ' BROWNS NEED TO REBOOT THE DEFENSE- ITS GOTTEN THAT BAD '.

Legend
Legend
After three years with Joe Woods the defense does not work.

In 2021 there was a rebuild. Walker, Hill, Smith, Clowney were signed. They drafted Newsome, JOK.

They extended Ward. Kept Greedy and drafted Emerson.

Inconsistency continued.

I shut the game off after the first series of the second half. It was clear to me then that the defense had no answer for the Fins offense.

The Browns offense can not win games where the defense loses games.

The Fins ran at the tackles knowing how weak they are. DE pressure was negated because the ball came out fast or the pocket moved.

The Browns flooded the mid-field with zone. The Fins ate it up. The defense gave up.
===================================================================

Woods has to go and so do some of the players. I do not know if there is a real candidate internally. So, Woods, may finish the year.

I don't really care about the call to fire Stefanski. Let it all out bitch and moan. Stefanski is not the problem. Yes, he is the head coach. And he has to fire his DC.

It happens often. The offense is fine and will improve with DW.

1 member likes this: jfanent
Legend
Legend
I agree. People here were saying how the D really came together the second half of last season and were coming around this year. I didn't see it. It's unbelievable how offenses can keep doing the same things over and over against us and gain big chunks of yardage.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Listening to beat writers this morning seems like it is a foregone conclusion that Woods is keeping the DC seat warm for the next guy.

We'll see.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
I can't see any scenario where Woods is brought back next year. Berry shares in the responsibility for the defense as well. The complete neglect of the IDL is inexcusable. The JJ III signing has been a spectacular failure. The Browns defense needs rebuilt up the middle.

Stefanski will have a six week audition to show what he can do (against some pretty bad teams) with Watson and then Haslam will have a decision to make. Haslam is and always will be the wild card.

Legend
Legend
Bone: that’s how i see it too. It’s not like Wilkes is some newbie in his first year, new system, etc. This is YEAR 3. We should be seeing a good, consistent unit. We have spent draft capital and FA money on the defense. What we are seeing is a total failure in personnel, scheme, effort, etc. It’s inexcusable.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by Milk Man
I can't see any scenario where Woods is brought back next year.

The JJ III signing has been a spectacular failure.

Stefanski will have a six week audition to show what he can do (against some pretty bad teams) with Watson and then Haslam will have a decision to make. Haslam is and always will be the wild card.

Whole-heartedly agree with the Woods and JJ III thoughts.

Though I disagree that Haslam is considering Watson's return this season as an audition for Stefanski's continued employment next season. I strongly suspect he'll be back along with most, if not all, the offensive staff. AVP's role might be modified, an "offensive consultant" or a new QB coach more suited to Watson might be brought in, but that side of the ball will remain the same. Dee is not going to shake the cart with massive change offensively without a full season of Watson. But, who knows right?

jmho

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Listening to beat writers this morning seems like it is a foregone conclusion that Woods is keeping the DC seat warm for the next guy.

We'll see.

I get that maybe there aren't good options available today... i get that wholesale change mid season verifies the season is toast ... but what if some of the players who look [censored] under Woods could shine before the end of the season and be keepers, where as with a continuation of Woods we will not learn anything new about the players. I'm for making a change today. I'd bring in Gregg Williams from the XFL in a heart beat.

Legend
Legend
The team's record verifies that the season is toast. It has been for weeks; it just can't be denied any longer is all that happened Sunday.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I truthfully thought the season was done after the Chargers game (even though I probably thought it was after the Falcon game)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
I felt going into this last game Woods was on the hot seat.

Yesterday was confirmation. It is gin clear. It is both scheme and personnel.

Defensive game plans are about how do you prepare for the offense of the team you play.

IMO the inconsistency of the defense proves that Woods can not consistently prepare a defense.

McDaniels took our defense apart. One play he would move the pocket and throw underneath. Next play gash the tackles. Next play cross two slants create a rub. Lead the cutter in stride. Every play there was an open option. The punter could have stayed home.

A pathetic performance. Their runner who is nothing special racked up huge yardage. Easy pickings the weakness is all over our tape.

This is the end for this season. There is no quick correction. Nine games into a season there is no magic wand.

Look hard at the defensive roster pick some guys to keep and get rid of the rest.

Berry and Stefanski have to plan now. Figure out a path forward. Know the scheme you want to play. And start looking for a DC who can run the scheme. Keep the guys you believe can fit. Get rid of the rest.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Woods and the Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard