Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
JC...

As I watched the game, looking at center of the Browns defense as they struggled to stop the Fins running game and attempted to pressure Tua, the quality of our backup DTs and LBs was horrible. Considering the fact that the Browns starting DTs and LBs are no better that 'average or below average', the Miami offensive line played with the Browns defense like they were a toy.

The quality of football I was watching from the Browns defense late in the 3rd qtr and the entire 4th qtr..I thought I was watching a pre-season game, with the Browns defensive coaching staff attempting to get as many our 'backups' in the game so they could see if they worth keeping.

I watched DT Roderick Perry get knocked around by the Fins OLine as if he was a ball bouncing around in a pinball game. Perry is one of our 'undersized DTs", signed by the Browns for his speed and quickness along with his SPARQ Scores. Perry was in against the Dolphins for 23 snaps..had 0 tackles and 0 sacks. Guess he had a bad day.

I watched two of our backup LBs, Fields in for 10 snaps and Kunaszyk in for 20 snaps, both recorded 0 tackles and 0 sacks. Perrion Winfrey was a healty scratch from game..guess we didn't need him. There were reports that he had been sick last week, but if we are to believe the reports of him being a healthy scratch you have to wonder why?

If I didn't know better, yesterday's performance vs the Fins looked like the Browns owner, front office and coaching staff have made up their mind to TANK the rest of the season, in an effort pick as high in each round as they can.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by mac
JC...
.... Perrion Winfrey was a healty scratch from game..guess we didn't need him. There were reports that he had been sick last week, but if we are to believe the reports of him being a healthy scratch you have to wonder why?

Legend
Legend
I said I was suspicious when the injury report was DNP illness.

This guy is one thin ice.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by bonefish
This guy is one thin ice.

And he weighs 290#. That's never good.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
rofl

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Broke team policy..?

Did he roll his car while trying to avoid a deer..?..That would be a good reason to suspend him, right?

It would be nice if Stefanski had priorities that helped the team win.

Just what did he do that deserved being benched.?

It would be a change if the front office brought in some real defensive talent or even better, if the coaching staff developed some of the talent they already have.

I'm telling you, that game was a total TANK JOB by the coaching staff of the Browns. Depo and Berry want as many losses as they can get to move up in the draft...in an effort to recoup some of the value they lost when they gave up the farm for Watson.

Legend
Legend
We're tanking for a high second round pick??

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: DawgPound75
Legend
Legend
This article makes sense. People can agree or not.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/arti..._of_the_browns_defense/s1_16697_38121023

When you track what has been consistent this year on defense. It starts with run defense.

The offense of the Dolphins and the game plan of McDaniels exposed the defense for what it is.

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Milk Man
Originally Posted by mac
JC...
.... Perrion Winfrey was a healty scratch from game..guess we didn't need him. There were reports that he had been sick last week, but if we are to believe the reports of him being a healthy scratch you have to wonder why?

I believe this part about part of the crew that spends way too much time at the club. I think it's an ongoing problem w/some of these guys and Winfrey seems to top the list, but it was especially evident yesterday. I mentioned it on the Game Recap thread that S. Beach provides a lot of distractions and players in all sports have fell victim to its charms. The Browns D played like they did too much clubbing on Saturday night.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't think they were out Saturday night because there is a team curfew and room checks in place the night before a game when traveling for an away game. I do know a lot of NBA teams catch the South Beach flu because they can be out late since they do not play until the following evening. In fact, I believe an NBA team went down a day ahead so the players could get it out of their system, lol.

My guess is that Bone was correct when he was skeptical about Winfrey being held out all week with an "illness."

From my understanding, Winfrey and some Browns players are regulars at the Barley House and Town Hall in Cleveland. Both places have been hot spots for players over the years. Manziel was a regular.

I won't be surprised if Winfrey is waived at some point this season. He's clearly not learning any lessons.

Legend
Legend
I think you need to keep about 5 starters on D. Call Zimmer now, and get rid of Woods as quick as you know. Find out what Van Pelt is doing and dust him off.

Remind me, who are we tanking for? Without picks, I mean . . . .

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I’d keep JOK, Taki, Garrett, Newsome, Ward, Emerson … crickets?

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
..jc...

TODAY, the Browns defense ranks............31st.....in points scored against...
and TODAY, the Browns defense ranks......17th....in yds given up ...

Last season the Browns Defense ranked....13th.... in points scored against...
and last season the Browns Def. ranked....5th...... in yds given up ...

Why did the Browns defense "decline" so much this season..?
It's not like the 2022 defense declined just a little bit, either. The Browns defense has declined from the 13th in points given up in 2021 to being 'nearly the worst' in the NFL this season.

Legend
Legend
Not losing track of the thread's title, I wanted to suggest that we dawgs look at the trend that is Woods as his defense is called. Looking up? Cratering? Is the roster better this season than last? Playing hard or slacking? Fundamentals being executed like tackling, coverage, run D, pressure? Do they look prepared and are they motivated to go to war at gametime?

Lot of answers to too many questions. Our trend is down. It looks worse; we seem indifferent. If only we had some draft picks, we could at least say that we are tanking for XYZ. Can't even say that. Zimmer?

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Bard and fellow dawgs..

The most important stat a defense has to be concerned about is how many "points per game have they allowed"..! It doesn't matter if it's points per qtr allowed..or points per game allowed..or points per season allowed...the "bottom line" for any NFL team is..."how many points per game did your team's defense allow" in a particular game or in a particular season..!

Did anyone think to ask, "why did the Browns defense decline so much in 2022 season (so far) compared to the 2021 season..?

In the Browns 9 games played so far in 2022, the Browns defense ranks "NEARLY LAST" in the NFL...in points allowed per game..! The Browns defense is giving up 21.8 pts per game (so far) in 2022.

The Browns did promote the DTs they drafted in 2020 and 2021 to take over as the Browns starting DTsor in 2021. Did the quality of play from the DTs drafted in 2020 and 2021 result in such a decline in the Browns defensive performance, when comparing the 2021 results to the 2022 results after 9 games..?

That appears to be the answer to the question...how did the Browns defense decline so much, when comparing their 2021 performance to the Defensive performance in 2022..?

The final question becomes...WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR SUPPLYING THE DEFENSIVE TALENT WOODS HAD TO WORK WITH..?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Bard Dawg
Call Zimmer now

I've always loved Zimmer as defensive coordinator

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Legend
Legend
As someone else mentioned though, is he ready to coach? I know he’s had a recent tragedy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think Zimmer is done in the NFL. He's an "analyst" at Jackson St right now w/Deion Sanders. He's in his mid-to-late 60s and Minni's defenses fell off the last years while he was there. He is also pretty stubborn and I just don't see him being a fit in the NFL in general and Cleveland in particular.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I would not want him as a HC, but Brian Flores is an intriguing guy as a DC. He's proven himself and it would be a step up from his current position in Pittsburgh.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I would not want him as a HC, but Brian Flores is an intriguing guy as a DC. He's proven himself and it would be a step up from his current position in Pittsburgh.

One thing we seem to forget is unless a coach has an expiring contract with a NF team, teams syill have to give permission for their coaches to move. The trend seems to be they won't.

I think we might look towards a college coach. Maybe we could get Nick saban?(just kidding)

I would look at Jim Leonhard. I would like the new DC to have NFL playing experience. I think Leonhard would be super. I think he would bring player cred to the defensive coaching staff. Him also playing here would be a benefit.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think this whole coaching thing is overblown by fans and the media. I have come to realize that football message boards are similar to sports talk radio. Controversy, wild speculation, anger, etc. Mostly BS. Trying to have a real football conversation on here is very difficult. Even a game recap thread draws posters who want to talk about board personalities. I'm not talking about you because you are typically one of the most reasonable posters on here. Other than the Ward thing you got going on.

So, I will say this to you..........I've been thinking about this defense a lot. I've already reported that I don't see many scheme issues. Of course, there are some.....but, all schemes have strengths and weaknesses. There is nothing glaring schematically. Here is the real elephant in the room. I am becoming more and more convinced that Berry's draft picks [especially on the defensive side of the ball] have a sense of entitlement. They don't really have to earn their playing time or even their roster spot. I am becoming more certain that Berry controls the roster. All GMs due, but there are degrees to it. I think it is pretty obvious that Berry is more controlling than others.

Of course, I am speculating. However, there are bits and pieces of evidence all over the place. Put them together and that is what you get. If this is true, what is a defensive coaching change really going to accomplish?

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
..JC..

Woods had a better defense in 2021 than he has in 2022..that is a fact.

Woods got a better performance from his DTs (Jackson/McDowell in 2021 than he has gotten from the starting DTs in 2022.

This 2021 Woods defense played much better...

2021 Browns defense..gave up 21.4 pts/pg..ranking 15th in the NFL

Myles Garrett DE
Jadeve Clowney DE
Jordan Elliott DT
Taven Bryan DT
Deion Jones MLB
Sione Takitaki LB
Greg Newsome CB
Denzel Ward CB
Ronnie Harrison S
John Johnson S
D'Anthony Bell S

...than the present 2022 Woods defense...giving up 26.4 pts/pg..#31/NFL

Myles Garrett DE
Jad Clowney DE
J. Elliott DT
Taven Bryan DT
Deion Jones MLB
Sione Takitaki LB
G. Newsome CB
Denzel Ward CB
Ron Harrison S
John Johnson S
D'Anthony Bell S

So what is the problem..scheme, coaching, quality of players, effort by the players on the 2021 team vs 2022 team..what is the reason for such a drastic decline in the Browns defense..?

Last edited by mac; 11/16/22 10:00 AM.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
You might want to edit those lineups. Also, you forgot Delpit.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree on Berry. I don't think the roster is as collaborative as maybe was advertised.

I guess I understand why one would stick with Schwantz for a 2nd season, but unless something changes big time over the next few weeks, I can't see even bringing that guy to camp next year. It's pretty obvious that Stefanski isn't going to play the guy due to lack of trust. I think that might be a bone of contention between the coach and Berry.

The same might be said with the DT's. It seems that Berry's vision is more the fast,nimble type over the warthog, dig in the trenches type. With Woods 2 backer set, it seems to me you first need to anchor the middle, and then if the guy is nimble and fast as well, all the better. We just get pushed off the lane and don't clog anything up the middle. Something needs to be done there. I am thinking maybe 3-4 front would be best with some of the linemen we have. Myles would be good in anything a team runs. A guy like Elliott might be better suited as a 3-4 edge guy. We would just need to find that big guy over the ball, and you can usually find them in the draft where we will be picking or in FA.

I don't know, that's a lot of might be's, but I do know there is a disconnect on this D. Something isn't jiving with that unit.

I know you like Ward, and he is a good player. My problem is he is a "Me" guy. I just don't like the way he left Delpit to sit on the dunce stool. Right or wrong, a good teammate doesn't do that. I hope we trade the guy. We have the corners to do that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
You did not accuse me of this, but I want to clarify that I am not really bad-mouthing Berry and I definitely want him to keep his job. I am just saying it will be hard for any coach to overcome entitled players. What have guys like Delpit, Elliot, Phillips ever done to deserve starting roles and not be benched for poor play?

I mentioned Flores for DC earlier because he is probably the strictest disciplinarian of any guy out there. He takes absolutely no crap. Players won't punk him. However, would Berry tolerate that?

R
Legend
Legend
R
You did not accuse me of this, but I want to clarify that I am not really bad-mouthing Berry and I definitely want him to keep his job. I am just saying it will be hard for any coach to overcome entitled players. What have guys like Delpit, Elliot, Phillips ever done to deserve starting roles and not be benched for poor play?

I mentioned Flores for DC earlier because he is probably the strictest disciplinarian of any guy out there. He takes absolutely no crap. Players won't punk him. However, would Berry tolerate that?

All young guys come into the league entitled. They're young, immature, rich, and have been put on a pedestal their entire lives. That's true of every team. The issue with the Browns is they have no leadership. We can debate where it's lacking...Haslams, FO (Berry), Stefanski, players. But at the end of the day it's a rudderless, leaderless ship.

As for Flores, I read something on the OBR Insider that said the Browns won't touch him...wasn't very specific as to why. Take it for what it is worth.

1 member likes this: jfanent
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
How many years Is Haslam going to continue to employ Andrew Berry.
Berry was overhyped as this up and coming football roster genius
He has been anything but.
BTW maybe the guy that the Vikings brought in from the Browns front office
Was really smarter than Berry?
Berry has drafted players that are more athletes than pure football
Players. He essentially has built a roster of cupcakes

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This is from a larger article that is posted on the Game Recap thread in another forum. This part deals w/the Browns defense.

What is salvageable from this defense?

Here is the question that has to be asked: what is salvageable from this defense?

The cornerback room will carry over into 2023. Denzel Ward is guaranteed too much money, Greg Newsome is still a promising player on a rookie deal, Martin Emerson has already outplayed his draft slot, and A.J. Green will be retained for cheap as an exclusive rights free agent. The only name who is not likely to return is Greedy Williams.

The core of the second level should be back as well. Owusu-Koramoah is not going anywhere, and there is hope Takitaki will return as well. Anthony Walker Jr., off of an ACL injury, may be able to be retained for cheap as well. Outside of that, Jacob Phillips, Tony Fields, and Jordan Kunaszyk will all have to fight for a roster spot. Brought in as a plug for a leak, Deion Jones will likely not return.

And this is where it gets dicey.

Grant Delpit might be the only safety in that room to return. Undrafted rookie D’Anthony Bell has earned his worth as a special teams contributor but should not be forced on the field anytime soon on defense. John Johnson III’s price tag vastly outweighs his production as he is likely to exit, and Ronnie Harrison is playing out an expiring deal as well.

Now we get to the defensive line.

The defensive tackle room needs completely overhauled as there is not a serviceable plug in that entire room. Taven Bryan is playing out a one-year deal (and while he would be a serviceable rotational piece) and is unlikely to get a new contract. Jordan Elliott is not going to have to fight for a roster spot in the last year of his deal, Tommy Togiai might be the worst defensive tackle in the league, and Perrion Winfrey cannot even sniff the field as a rookie (not to mention his difficulties staying in good standing with the coaching staff).

The promise the Browns have seen in Isaiah Thomas, however, means they will likely only need to replace one defensive end as Garrett, Alex Wright, and Thomas at least give them three quality pieces. Jadeveon Clowney and Chase Winovich are both on expiring contracts and would be long shots to retain.

Berry has his work cut out for him as the safety and defensive tackle rooms need a complete makeover.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Legend
Legend
The breakdown is probably correct.

The issue becomes if Woods is gone then who replaces him? One of the reasons that continuity is important.

We are currently running a 4-2-5. Sometimes a 4-3-4. Sometimes using nickle and dime packages.

Does Berry and Stefanski look for a different scheme? What do they want to run?

Who will be available after the season? Who will come here?

Personally I believe in the base 4-3 defense. Then it becomes a matter of personnel. The interior of a 4-3 has to be able to stop the run first. Your DE's then have to be guys like Myles that close fast from the end. Your mike is a run support guy who is quick to read and fill. He should also be able to play zone coverage. Your outside backers IMO have to have speed. They have to be able to defend the flat. They have to be able to cover and make open field tackles. JOK can do that. All three backers should be guys that can also blitz.

It has been stated before and it bears repeating. The man that builds the roster is key. Berry has done well in some areas and not so well in others.

He is not alone. No GM hits on all decisions. Not Belichick or anyone else.

Berry has promise. He will never be perfect. Cooper was a steal. Newsome, JOK, York and Emerson good picks. I understand signing JJ. However, I have not been impressed with him at all. It happens. Schwartz has bombed. You look at his college tape. I can see why he was selected. It just has not worked out. Berry's drafts have been mixed. Pretty normal for draft picks.

IMO defense begins with pressure on the quarterback. You want that without blitzing. But, you must strategically blitz.
If you can not stop the run. You are in trouble.

Scheme is important but players are more important.

1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
You might want to edit those lineups. Also, you forgot Delpit.

vers...you might want to read my post again...I didn't forget anyone from the "current starters"...you forgot, Delpit did not start for "disciplinary reason" due to a violation of team rules. What I posted is accurate.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Browns disciplinary issues continue in Week 10, this time with Delpit and Winfrey

By JaredMueller@JaredKMueller Nov 13, 2022, 5:27pm EST

link

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I was trying to help you out, mac. Your defensive rosters for both seasons are the same. Guys like Jones and Bryan were not even on our roster last year.

Legend
Legend
So, I will say this to you..........I've been thinking about this defense a lot. I've already reported that I don't see many scheme issues. Of course, there are some.....but, all schemes have strengths and weaknesses. There is nothing glaring schematically. Here is the real elephant in the room. I am becoming more and more convinced that Berry's draft picks [especially on the defensive side of the ball] have a sense of entitlement. They don't really have to earn their playing time or even their roster spot. I am becoming more certain that Berry controls the roster. All GMs due, but there are degrees to it. I think it is pretty obvious that Berry is more controlling than others.

Of course, I am speculating. However, there are bits and pieces of evidence all over the place. Put them together and that is what you get. If this is true, what is a defensive coaching change really going to accomplish?

Good coaches get the most out of their entitled players. Woods' schemes might be good, but if he can't coach the players to follow them, that's on him. I'm not buying that his hands are tied by the GM to the extent that he can't motivate or teach his players. He hasn't shown competence as a defensive coordinator through 2.5 seasons. Even in the 11 win season we almost blew huge leads against Dallas and Tennessee.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I was talking about the bigger picture. I get that you desperately want Woods fired. I have already said that he is almost certainly going to be fired. I am not arguing that. What I am saying is that changing coaches is not likely to change the attitudes of the players that are not putting in the required effort if the GM continues to enable them.

M
Legend
Legend
M
What I am saying is that changing coaches is not likely to change the attitudes of the players that are not putting in the required effort if the GM continues to enable them.

So it's Berry's job to motivate the players and he's the problem? Not the Head Coach or Stefanski.

Not sure many will agree.
[u][/u]

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I was trying to help you out, mac. Your defensive rosters for both seasons are the same. Guys like Jones and Bryan were not even on our roster last year.

vers...you are correct about the rosters being the same..obviously it should not be that way. Trying to get starting rosters from two different sources is not a good idea.

I will repost...

.JC..

Woods had a better defense in 2021 than he has in 2022..that is a fact..!

Woods got a better performance from his DTs (Jackson/McDowell) in 2021 than he has gotten from the starting DTs of the 2022 defense...(DTs J. Elliott/ T.Bryan).

Below is the 2021 Woods defense that performed better than his 2022 defense..

Woods 2021 defense..gave up 21.4 pts/pg..ranking 15th in the NFL...

J. Clowney............DE
Myles Garrett........DE
Malik Jackson........DT
Jordan Elliott.........DT
JO Koramoah.........LB
Malcolm Smith.......LB
Sione Takitaki........LB
Denzel Ward..........CB
Greedy Williams.....CB
John Johnson.........S
Grant Delpit...........S

...Woods 2022 defense...is giving up 26.4 pts/pg..ranking #31 in the NFL.

Myles Garrett...DE
J. Clowney.......DE
J. Elliott..........DT
Taven Bryan....DT
Deion Jones....MLB
Sione Takitaki..LB
G. Newsome...CB
Denzel Ward...CB
Ron Harrison....S
John Johnson....S
D'Anthony Bell..S*

*Bell was in for one snap...Delpit was in for the rest of the game

So what is the problem..scheme, coaching, quality of players, effort by the players on the 2021 team vs 2022 team..what is the reason for such a drastic decline in the Browns defense..?

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
None of us know for sure. All of those things have been mentioned. I've presented my opinions on the situation but I am not going to try to force-feed them because again, none of us know for sure.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Oh well......

Legend
Legend
When you look at that and keep in mind the defensive meltdowns like the Jets game and other games.

He has to go. He has had time. The results speak volumes.

It is a combination of failures and the way they occured.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Woods and the Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard