Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
You did not accuse me of this, but I want to clarify that I am not really bad-mouthing Berry and I definitely want him to keep his job. I am just saying it will be hard for any coach to overcome entitled players. What have guys like Delpit, Elliot, Phillips ever done to deserve starting roles and not be benched for poor play?

I mentioned Flores for DC earlier because he is probably the strictest disciplinarian of any guy out there. He takes absolutely no crap. Players won't punk him. However, would Berry tolerate that?

I mentioned it elsewhere, but i think we need a ex- player and probably will need to look towards a college DC. I would hire Jim Leonhard if possible.

I don't want Berry to go anywhere either. I was just pointing out an area of weakness IMO.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The difference between a team and FO trying to win and a team that clearly appears to not!

Linval Joseph will have a chance to see action in a 13th NFL season. The Eagles are signing the veteran defensive tackle, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com (on Twitter).

The former Giants, Vikings and Chargers interior defender recently visited the Jets. No signing followed, but the Eagles will provide an opportunity. Philadelphia has struggled against the run in each of its past two games. Joseph stands to provide some help for the 8-1 team on this front.

After playing out his two-year Chargers contract, Joseph has spent the past eight months in free agency. He will join an Eagles team that has devoted significant funds to its defensive line. Philly recently dealt for Robert Quinn, adding the veteran edge rusher to a position group that already featured five veteran contracts (Fletcher Cox, Brandon Graham, Javon Hargrave, Josh Sweat, Derek Barnett) and first-round pick Jordan Davis. The team has seen Davis’ recent absence hurt its efforts against the run.

Davis suffered a high ankle sprain in Week 8. In the two games without the mammoth D-tackle, the Eagles have respectively given up 168 and 152 rushing yards. Dameon Pierce did not experience much of a blip in his Offensive Rookie of the Year campaign against then-unbeaten Philly in Week 9, and the Commanders’ Brian Robinson–Antonio Gibson duo steadily wore down an Eagles defense on the field for much of Monday night’s upset loss. The Commanders’ 49 rush attempts were the most by a non-Eagle or Raven squad over the past five years.

Last edited by steve0255; 11/16/22 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
You did not accuse me of this, but I want to clarify that I am not really bad-mouthing Berry and I definitely want him to keep his job. I am just saying it will be hard for any coach to overcome entitled players. What have guys like Delpit, Elliot, Phillips ever done to deserve starting roles and not be benched for poor play?

I mentioned Flores for DC earlier because he is probably the strictest disciplinarian of any guy out there. He takes absolutely no crap. Players won't punk him. However, would Berry tolerate that?

I mentioned it elsewhere, but i think we need a ex- player and probably will need to look towards a college DC. I would hire Jim Leonhard if possible.

I don't want Berry to go anywhere either. I was just pointing out an area of weakness IMO.

The record of the franchise's CHIEF STRATEGIST is 36 wins..69 losses...1 tie...!

At some point I would think that ever Haslam should realize that FOOTBALL is not BASEBALL..!

Haslam needs to realize that he has done much more for Depodesta and his thriving Analytics Business..than Depodesta has ever done for the Cleveland Browns. The Cleveland Browns record since Depodesta took over as the Browns Chief Strategist..36W-69L-1T.

*Note: In 2016, Deicas (Paul Depodesta's wife) launched the Sports Mind Institute, which seeks to connect lessons learned from figures in professional sports, athletes, team executives, and coaches, to help others apply them to life and the business sector.

When the Browns finally send Depodesta packing, NO OTHER NFL team will hire him and he will return to Baseball...write it down..!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

The record of the franchise's CHIEF STRATEGIST is 36 wins..69 losses...1 tie...!

At some point I would think that ever Haslam should realize that FOOTBALL is not BASEBALL..!

Haslam needs to realize that he has done much more for Depodesta and his thriving Analytics Business..than Depodesta has ever done for the Cleveland Browns. The Cleveland Browns record since Depodesta took over as the Browns Chief Strategist..36W-69L-1T.

*Note: In 2016, Deicas (Paul Depodesta's wife) launched the Sports Mind Institute, which seeks to connect lessons learned from figures in professional sports, athletes, team executives, and coaches, to help others apply them to life and the business sector.

When the Browns finally send Depodesta packing, NO OTHER NFL team will hire him and he will return to Baseball...write it down..!

Gonna have some fun with math, eh?

So Depodesta's (.343) six year run is:

Better than the previous six years...

And the previous six years...

And the previous six years!

Best six year run in 18 seasons! Fire him now!! flamingmad

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Well Mac, I know where you stand. I disagree. I don't think Depo has as much to do with you as I.

He isn't picking players. I will say his office has "some" influence on in game strategy.....like going for it.

Simply an odds based deal. I think if you are honest and watch games, you see teams going for it on 4th down way more than 10 years ago.

I understand that when we played HS football...the single mask, salt pills and no water days of practice, you punted on 4th down.

Sorry man, the game you and I played isn't the same even though we agree that it probably should be a bit more like that.

Every year some kid broke an arm doing the monkey drill. It scared the hell out of you, but it also made you jump and roll a little faster when it was your turn, and not break the fall, roll in to the fall. That L shaped forearm of that kid kind of set that idea in stone.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Sorry man, the game you and I played isn't the same even though we agree that it probably should be a bit more like that.

peen..it's obvious to me that you are a lot older than I am...no single bar helmets for our team..no one ever broke their arm in monkey drills..no salt pills and mandatory hydration in practice and weigh in before practice and after...and we would go for it on 4th down if needed. I think your imagination is a bit out of control.

If it's true that Depo is telling Stefanski when he should go for it on 4th down that is pure BS. Part of the problem in Cleveland is too many people want to play HC but never step forward and take responsibility when they fail. Stefanski goes out and takes the hit for all the failures and that might be part of the reason the media and fans target him so often.

Depo is in the Browns draft room so I'm going to assume he's offering his opinion on who the Browns should draft or whether the Browns should make a trade to gain draft capitol.

I'm going to ask this question again because it goes to the heart of a major problem...HOW DID THE BROWNS END UP WITH SUCH POOR DTs?

The Browns drafted DTs Elliott, 3rd rnd of 2020..Togia, 4th rnd of 2021..Winfrey, 4th rnd of 2022. Three of the 4 DTs the Browns are using are products of THE SYSTEM that Browns management established to judge football talent. While we want to blame DC Woods for the Browns inability to stop the run..who judged the DT talent that the franchise spent years developing into starters?

How bad are the Browns DTs...each week GM Berry is searching the waiver wire to see if we can find some DT help..hoping to find someone better than we drafted.

Browns fans have watched a similar situation develop over the past couple years at WR. The Browns DRAFT TEAM spent a 3rd pick in 2021 on WR Schwartz who OVERWHELMED the Browns draft team with his blazing speed..but I guess the guys with their stop watches and SPARQ charts forgot something...can he catch the football..? Can he catch the football when going over the middle, when he knows he's gonna get hit..?

Schwartz has owned a spot on the Browns roster for 2 seasons and has contributed very little. Schwartz is just another example of the Browns DRAFT SYSTEM at work. Schwartz is another example of how the Browns judge football talent with priorities developed by people with little experience in the game of football.

How long do the Browns continue down this path..? Every week the Browns are actively seeking talent off of the waiver wire out of necessity, to see if they can find better talent than they drafted.

P
Legend
Legend
P
While I certainly disagree with much of what you are posting I do certainly agree with you about just how much power and influence Depo wields. I think some try to minimize that and downplay it.

Let's face it, while Haslam has gone through GM's and HC's, the one person who stayed through it all was Depo. For some reason Haslam trusted him and valued him above all others. I see no reason to believe that's changed.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Rishuz
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Often Baffled: The Joe Woods Story

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Sorry Joe Woods but that is a observably stupid quote.

That is what games plans are. Making different plans for every different team you face.

In fact it is the definition of game plan.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

That comment is absolutely unacceptable.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
..jc..

I'm not a Joe Woods fan and it's because of the defensive schemes he uses. He is what his record says he is...

But don't blame Woods for the quality of players he has to work with...those smaller, quick DTs with their high SPARQ scores and who run a 40 in something like 5.0 or less. The analytics boys have a say in who is worthy of being drafted by the Browns. Since Depodesta took over the franchise in 2016, his strategies have amounted to...5.1 wins per season.

Any other Chief Strategist in the NFL would be held accountable for what he produces...but in Cleveland, Haslam rewards "losers". In 6 out of the 7 seasons that Depodesta and his strategists have been in charge of the Browns franchise...they have produced losing football teams.

IMO, the Browns need a healthier balance between analytics personnel and pure football personnel.

When will the analytics crew be held accountable for what they have produced..? One winning season in 7 yrs and that one winning seasons was with a QB that Depodesta "hated".

Last edited by mac; 11/17/22 03:48 PM.

2 members like this: Tackman, Floquinho
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I cannot, at this point, see how he stays employed after this year. I'd be kinda surprised if he makes it the rest of the season, especially with quotes like that.

Legend
Legend
The failure of the defense has a lot to do with Joe Woods.

However, it is not all on him. "Some" of the blame is on Berry and Stefanski.

The scheme and the man who runs the defense and prepares the defensive game plans is Woods.

There is no doubt in my mind Woods bears the majority of the failure.

At the same time when 2021 ended all parties involved rehash the season and plan for the next. At that time preparing for the off season includes planning for free agency and the draft. The plan is based upon the 2021 assessment. The plan was incorrect.

The draft in it's purest form is BPA. But, it does include need. Free agency is different. It is specific to target players to fill a need. Trades and who to pursue is also part of the off season plan.

How it was decided to have all four of the DT's be guys who are unproven and developing was a mistake.

Now the team is in a position with no real options. And, with the eleven game suspension of Watson. A season with possibilities has turned to a punt.

Woods should fired after this season. But KS and Berry both know they are partly to blame. Hopefully it is a learning point for this coming off season.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
There is no doubt in my mind Woods bears the majority of the failure.

It was the Browns analytics department and our GM who judged and drafted the talent that Woods has to work with. Of the 4 DTs listed as starters and backups for the Browns, 3 were draft picks of the Browns GM, Andrew Berry.

Not only did the Browns system of judging draft talent fail, they knew going into the season that they had issues at DT and failed to address the weakness when they had the opportunity to do so.

The Browns Need Defensive Tackle Help, What are Their Options?
link

Legend
Legend
I thought I made myself clear about how the blame should be looked at?

I explained the failure in depth.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

JFC.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
YO Joe. Bottom line your ass got out coached again, like it has most weeks that you have been here.
Just keep digging your own grave. notallthere

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
1 member likes this: jfanent
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
I wanted him fired before it was cool. thumbsup

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
I think in the case of the DT's. It was completely misjudged. That is on Berry but also Stefanski and Woods.

Berry believes in collaboration. I think it is part of the culture they have tried to foster.

I disagree about JOK. I have seen him make plenty of open field tackles. At times he will shoot a gap and miss. But he does not miss in the flat one on one.

I agree the safety play has been poor. Although I have seen improvement from Delpit tackling.

The problem I see is inconsistent plans on how to defense different teams. Players get beat. There is a lot of talent in the league.

Great offenses are going to score. But you can not go an entire game like the Dolphins and get gashed up the middle. We gave up 198 yards to nobodies.

Damn put more guys in the box. If you know the weakness is at tackle. Have a plan to compensate.

The players we have on defense are not as bad as the results have been. Hell in 2020 we had a terrible secondary and played better.

Changes needed in defense include both coaches and players.

Bone, I'm stealing your quote from the browns news thread to quote the first sentence.

I think in the case of the DT's. It was completely misjudged. That is on Berry but also Stefanski and Woods.

I've been wanting to post about it for a few weeks now, but just haven't had the time to really reply to much.

Your quote is the summary of my thoughts of the DT room. My opinion on what happened was through their end of the season reviews and off season planning. Two of their views were similar in planning the positions, the WR room and the DT room. I really think their plan was not to spend much in those areas (that is obvious now, lol).

On the offensive side, they felt they had a few pieces they could work with: DPJ growing as a receiver, Chief at TE, the backs running/catching out of the backfield. They targeted Cooper as a great piece and traded peanuts for him. I'm sure they understood the issues if there were injuries, but they wanted to save this year after the trading of Watson and try to roll that money over to next year.

On the defensive side, i think it was the same thing. Their evaluation was they have excellent ends, an alright LB core, with some good backfield. Woods probably vouched for Elliott making strides and was ready for the starting role. They also brought in a cheap veteran piece with Bryan. Togiai would be fine rotating with a drafted piece in Winfrey (just like the WR room in drafting Bell and not being a main part of the offense..only as slot). They could save some money and get by with the players brought in through draft and FA.

The hindsight of this, the issue is they brought an excellent receiver (Cooper) on offense which helped the receiver room. On defense, Bryan shouldn't have been that main piece since he was a project piece. They should have focused on a solid DT to pair with Bryan/Elliott.

If this was their thought process, then I understand their thought process when planning it out. But...in the end, it is a failure. I just hope Berry/Stef learn from it and make adjustments in future planning.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
I've been wanting to post about it for a few weeks now, but just haven't had the time to really reply to much.

Your quote is the summary of my thoughts of the DT room. My opinion on what happened was through their end of the season reviews and off season planning. Two of their views were similar in planning the positions, the WR room and the DT room. I really think their plan was not to spend much in those areas (that is obvious now, lol).

On the offensive side, they felt they had a few pieces they could work with: DPJ growing as a receiver, Chief at TE, the backs running/catching out of the backfield. They targeted Cooper as a great piece and traded peanuts for him. I'm sure they understood the issues if there were injuries, but they wanted to save this year after the trading of Watson and try to roll that money over to next year.

On the defensive side, i think it was the same thing. Their evaluation was they have excellent ends, an alright LB core, with some good backfield. Woods probably vouched for Elliott making strides and was ready for the starting role. They also brought in a cheap veteran piece with Bryan. Togiai would be fine rotating with a drafted piece in Winfrey (just like the WR room in drafting Bell and not being a main part of the offense..only as slot). They could save some money and get by with the players brought in through draft and FA.

The hindsight of this, the issue is they brought an excellent receiver (Cooper) on offense which helped the receiver room. On defense, Bryan shouldn't have been that main piece since he was a project piece. They should have focused on a solid DT to pair with Bryan/Elliott.

If this was their thought process, then I understand their thought process when planning it out. But...in the end, it is a failure. I just hope Berry/Stef learn from it and make adjustments in future planning.

I agree with a lot of this. The Browns clearly misjudged the talent level, assumed corners could be cut at certain positions.

The lesson: Overconfidence is a character flaw.

Let's see if lessons were learned heading into the 2023 season.

#GuardrailsShouldBeFlexible

1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think many/most will agree also. It's been noted and commented on how bad the DTs are - how weak the LBs are .. and that comes down to the FO as a whole. Berry for drafting and acquiring such poor talent, the team for deciding who to keep and whether a guy like Suh who was available would help or not, and then Woods for not coaching them up, scheme etc and overall execution. It's also one extra layer of why people are questioning Stefanski as a HC.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
There are many types of management styles. Jerry Jones an owner runs the Cowboys. I am sure everything runs threw him.
There are many departments. There is delegation of duties by in the end all big decisions are his. When meetings take place. He sits at the head of the table.

When I watch the Browns press conferences. Or, watch Building the Browns. My impression is the culture they want and what you see and hear from the people inside the building is collaboration. Berry is the GM and does have final say on trades, free agents, and the draft. The roster is his responsibility. However, the process involved in getting to the final decision is collaborative. Many people have input. Watch the latest "Building the Browns."

Stefanski is the head coach. He has the final say on who plays. He does run the offense. He also calls the plays. Again, the process before the final decisions is collaborative. AVP, Callahan, and others have major input. Woods is the DC. He does prepare the defensive game plan. He does call the plays. Again, the process and how final decisions are made is collaborative.

If a king is a great king. Knows all and rarely errors. Then that style of management can work. Belichick.

Collaboration as a culture can bring fresh ideas. The more people involved means empowerment throughout the organization. People feel their input has value. They see opportunity for personal growth. Success and failure becomes shared.

The defense has failed. The blame is on the hands of more than one person. Woods is the scapegoat. He does bear responsibility and he knows it.
Woods did not decide who his players would be but he had input. So did others.

Some of the players have not performed. They also bear responsibility.

I believe in the Browns process. It is not perfect and mistakes will happen. But I think the process is good and corrections can be made. There is no way I believe in blowing this up. At the same time when analysis reveals changes are necessary then those decisions must be made clearly.

The defense has to be fixed and some of the coaches and players will need to be replaced.

1 member likes this: Hammer
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
The defense has failed. The blame is on the hands of more than one person. Woods is the scapegoat. He does bear responsibility and he knows it.
Woods did not decide who his players would be but he had input. So did others.

You say that Woods is the scapegoat but you fail to name those who might have contributed to the Browns defensive issues. Is there anyone within the Browns organization objective enough to judge their own contribution to our "failed defense" issue..?

If the Browns don't address the entire problem, we might see a continuation of the same problems and be looking for another DC in a year or two. Are the Browns simply going to look to hire another "scapegoat" or are they going hold themselves accountable as well..?

Changes need to made in the way the Browns judge and select defensive talent and if they don't make those changes, don't count on anything changing even if we hire a different DC.

Last edited by mac; 11/19/22 10:47 AM.

Legend
Legend
I thought that in this thread that I have been clear on who I believe were at fault how and why.

You are right a new DC does not address the failure completely. The entire defense needs to be put under a microscope.

The decisions made in the process last off season need to be revisited. The priorities to fix the defense needs to be put into place.

I would expect a revamp. DC, defensive coaches and players.

Going up the ladder Stefanski and Berry need to look at the roster and find players and where to put them.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Quincy Carrier of you-tube recently post a video saying to fire Joe and can almost the entire defense....he suggested to sit back and look at 6 you would keep......so who are your 6?

1. Myles
2.Newsome (rookie deal)
3. JOK (rookie deal)
4. Emerson (rookie deal)
5. Ward.....but tradeable
6.wright/Thomas (both if u move ward)

Consideration takitaki and despite

Everyone else ......GONE THE DAY SEASON IS OVER

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Certainly good news that Stefanski has nothing to do with how the defense performs. Also good to know that there's nothing wrong with our scheme.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Browns Defense Lashes Out After Latest Loss to Bills

link

The Cleveland Browns‘ defense has appeared lost at times this season and the reality is that they might be.

The Cleveland defense was gashed once again on Sunday against the Bills, allowing Buffalo to run away with the 31-23 win behind 171 rushing yards. Browns safety Grant Delpit gave some worrisome insight into the unit after Cleveland fell to 3-7.

“Gotta stop the run. Simple,” Delpit said. “In order to have trust, you’ve got to know what you’re doing. The team has got to have faith that they know what they’re doing. If you don’t know what you’re doing, it never works.”

Delpit gave some further insight into what that statement exactly meant.

“In the run game, you’ve got to know what your fit is. If you don’t know what your fit is or you jump out of your gap, the run is going to bust every time,” Delpit said. “You’ve got to know your fits.”

Along with Delpit, an anonymous Browns defensive player told Jason Lloyd of The Athletic that there has been internal frustration about the lack of adjustments made by defensive coordinator Joe Woods.

“When s**t ain’t working, change it,” he said. “We don’t f***ing change anything.”

Myles Garrett Disappointed With Direction

Myles Garrett was very vocal prior to the matchup with the Bills that the Browns had to win their next two games to keep their playoff hopes alive. After Sunday’s rough outing, that obviously won’t be the case and the Browns will need some significant help if they want to make the postseason.

“That has always been the idea: win the next two, but it was really keep on winning and keep on stacking. That is still the idea,” Garrett said. “That is still the mindset. That is not going to change. We still feel like we can do so, but we have to put the preparation and have that level of detail to match that excitement and that energy we have with wanting to do it.”

Garrett expressed disappointment with the defense’s performance, especially after a promising start against the Bills. A particular focus for Garrett has been the lack of turnovers forced, which he thinks stems from the team’s mindset in practice.

“It just has to be more of an emphasis in practice,” Garrett said. “It has been a lack of importance when we go out there and practice. It has to be more important to us if we want to force those takeaways in the game. We have goals that we set in practice, and we are not reaching them.”

Garrett Hinted at Lack of Adjustments Previously

Woods’ game plan has been questioned before, particularly by Garrett, who said the Browns didn’t make the proper adjustments when they got railroaded by the Patriots 45-7 last season.

This year, Garrett hinted that the Dolphins knew exactly what the Browns defense would be doing during their Week 10 matchup, which helped Miami rack up nearly 500 yards of offense.

“Honestly, how specific it was towards us (is what stood out),” Garrett said. “It wasn’t like a first 15, it was like a first 60. The way they attacked us was very detailed in what they were trying to do and just had us out of position a lot of the time. Seemed like when we tried to switch things up, they were a step ahead.”

The Browns will face Tom Brady and the Buccaneers next week as they try to get back into the win column.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Woods is gone and probably rightfully so. The D sucks and he's the leader of the D. Perhaps the new DC will work magic w/all these talented, hard-working, accountable defenders?

We'll see about that.

One thing for certain.........the Browns defenders do a lot more pointing w/their fingers then they do w/their thumbs. I'm old school and frankly.......just old. So perhaps I am out of touch w/reality in thinking that it's better to place more accountability on yourself rather than blaming others for your struggles.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I would not be surprised if Garrett asks for a trade after the season.
He's Been here 6 years and has 1 playoff appearance to show for it.
He is human. The constant losing takes a toll on you.
He is a elite pass rusher playing for a team mired in losing
Reminds me of watching Claude Humphrey as a youth.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns behind the scenes
Are gauging what could they get for MG in a trade.

Legend
Legend
I am not one who normally believes in firing in the middle of a season.

This year I think a statement needs to happen. The play of the defense reflects poor preparation. And this has been visible since the first game and through a by week.

Inside the ten yard line and Briggs is open by ten yards. How many times does that need to be seen? Coverage on special teams again repeated failure not a one off.

The team needs to be shook up and Woods should be fired now.

I can not remember seeing worse play at DT. Jordan Elliott is not even back up material.

Defensively this team does not know what they are supposed to do. They do not know their assignments.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

The locker room is reaching a breaking point on the defensive side of the ball. The cracks were apparent weeks ago. It will be interesting to see how Stefanski handles this moving forward.

From Jason Lloyd's article this morning...

Defensive coordinator Joe Woods will surely be fired at the end of the season, but it may have to happen sooner just to keep the peace — what’s left of it. One of coach Kevin Stefanski’s strengths is his ability to remove emotion from decision-making and not act irrationally to any particular loss. But it’s time to fire Woods before he loses the rest of the locker room. 

Safety Grant Delpit hinted players don’t know their assignments. Defensive end Myles Garrett complained creating turnovers has been a lack of importance at practice. Another defensive player told me he’s been frustrated by the lack of scheme changes. 

“When s— ain’t working, change it,” he said. “We don’t f—— change anything.” 

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Frankly, I could care less if they fire Woods or not. This season is over in terms of playoffs.

However, once again that the players are pointing fingers rather than pointing thumbs. That is disturbing and it tells me that there really needs to be some personnel moves made to get rid of the bad seeds.

Myles is a great player and it is disappointing that he is voicing these things in public. That's not a good leader. However, he is too good to get rid of.

Delpit sucks. He should shut the hell up and concentrate on how he can improve his crappy play. He can't cover his shadow. We'd be better off w/out him.

The guy not named sounds like JJ. His ass should be sent packing!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Frankly, I could care less if they fire Woods or not. This season is over in terms of playoffs.

However, once again that the players are pointing fingers rather than pointing thumbs. That is disturbing and it tells me that there really needs to be some personnel moves made to get rid of the bad seeds.

Myles is a great player and it is disappointing that he is voicing these things in public. That's not a good leader. However, he is too good to get rid of.

Delpit sucks. He should shut the hell up and concentrate on how he can improve his crappy play. He can't cover his shadow. We'd be better off w/out him.

The guy not named sounds like JJ. His ass should be sent packing!

This post points out exactly what is wrong with the Browns. A 5-sentence rant about the issues on defense and particular players going public. Fire them all except for Garrett because he's too good to get rid of. That is exactly where the problem lies with this team. Certain players get special treatment and others treated like crap. If you're going to have a good leadership HC, this is the absolutely the first thing you have to address in a divided locker room. Everyone is treated the same and the expectation levels are detailed the same to each player. Once you start making exceptions you have lost the team. This team has been lost for 2-years now and that's the problem that needs addressed. This is a HC and FO issue and only can be fixed at that level. You're not going to get the team back by firing some patsy, the players have gone rouge and that's a HC/FO issue.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

The locker room is reaching a breaking point on the defensive side of the ball. The cracks were apparent weeks ago. It will be interesting to see how Stefanski handles this moving forward.

From Jason Lloyd's article this morning...

Defensive coordinator Joe Woods will surely be fired at the end of the season, but it may have to happen sooner just to keep the peace — what’s left of it. One of coach Kevin Stefanski’s strengths is his ability to remove emotion from decision-making and not act irrationally to any particular loss. But it’s time to fire Woods before he loses the rest of the locker room. 

Safety Grant Delpit hinted players don’t know their assignments. Defensive end Myles Garrett complained creating turnovers has been a lack of importance at practice. Another defensive player told me he’s been frustrated by the lack of scheme changes. 

“When s— ain’t working, change it,” he said. “We don’t f—— change anything.” 

Guess we are lucky we have a teflon HC who has zero responsibility for players not knowing their assignments or poor practices .... because it's the defense and EVERYONE knows that the HC is only ever judged by the offense. And the locker room? It's all peachy - Vers kept telling us all season. So we good.

thumbsup

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If the self-appointed football guru says it's not an issue, then there's no way it's an issue. rofl

P
Legend
Legend
P
Pointing out that the DC is using a system that simply doesn't work and is failing to make adjustments must be the players fault. Just listen to the old guy.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

This is so stupid. Yes, of course people want Woods gone (including me at the present time), but do you think he is going to answer this question in a PC? This isn't a case of "We have to ask the tough questions". It's shock jock jernalizm and it's ridiculous.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Woods and the Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard