Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Legend
Legend
V

Okay, I will not be a fan of this trade if it happens. I get trading Hunt given his status, but more importantly, the fact that we have great depth at his position. Not a fan of getting rid of top-level offensive tackles.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hunt and Williams have next to no value.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
I don't think we need to rebuild. We all know we can use 2 solid DT's and another Lb. We need another WR. We add another 5 good solid players in positions of need, and we've got the team we thought we had. If we had those 2 good DT's and DW playing at his normal level from the 1st game our record would probably be reversed. JMO

I think people often times see it as an all or nothing proposition. I'm pretty much with you in regards to a rebuild. I'm also not a proponent of standing pat. I do believe there are some obvious problems but unlike some others I'm not sure where that responsibility lies. There isn't a S that can cover the pass. They certainly need at least one more legit WR, interior DL help. The LB position seems very weak. The issue is that the Browns have the cap space to have easily addressed those needs and chose not to. The drafting has not really addressed these issues. I'm certainly confident that wasn't due to a lack of effort.

But somewhere there's a disconnect. The difference between myself and many others is I'm not sure where that disconnect is located. Is it the coaching staff that hasn't made it clear to the FO what it is they need? Is it that the coaching staff lacks the ability to clearly see those needs? Is it the analytics that say these aren't position groups that deserve heavy investment in? I have no idea the answer to those questions.

There is a middle ground between rebuild and stand pat. What I think needs to happen is to retool. There is clearly a problem that even us amateurs had a rasp of. Most on this board knew we needed another legit. WR. Not some #1 WR but a proven contributor with good hands and route running. Most understood the weakness on the interior of the DL. While not nearly all, but many knew the LB position needed addressed as well. Yet it took a 2-4 record before the FO made an attempt to address the LB position. I find it quite troublesome that even many of us knew these things while nothing was being done inside the organization to address them.

With watson waiting in the wings I think what most people see as a rebuild would be foolish at this time. Having the best RB in the NFL combined with one of the top tier QB's in the league presents this team with a very rare opportunity. What needs to be repaired is recognizing and addressing the teams needs. Will that take a new DC and or a new ST's coach? I can't say I'm sure about that either way. However IMO Stefanski isn't the issue with the exception that his hand may need to be forced into making some coaching staff changes he may not wish to make.

So I can see that there may be some issues that need to be addressed. However a from the ground up rebuild I don't see needed or a wise decision with where we stand. Often times it seems to me that the most visceral reactions come from those who had unrealistic expectations to begin with. Some were predicting a lot of wins even after knowing the team would be staring a back up QB for almost two thirds of the season.

I understand the disappointment in how the games are being lost. Better teams find a way to win while lesser teams seem to find a way to lose. It is certainly frustrating to watch. But yes, a retooling is needed at some level. But that's far short of a rebuild.

Solid post without the gaudy, know-it-all reactionary b.s.

I'll try to defend the FO and coaching staff from a devil's advocate point of view before I get to my version of the disconnect.

First, there is no rebuild, although I can see some possible serious changes on the horizon (player wise, especially on defense).

It's hard to argue the glaring weaknesses when we all saw them coming. I don't think there is much arguing there. The collective intellect on this board has pointed it out time and time again.

WRs? We signed a sure-handed #1.5. Landry was here 'til well after the draft. DPJ is a solid option, he passed my eye-test last year and has held up. Two solid TEs after we unloaded the baggage there. A solid RB duo is a QB's best friend. And let's not forget, best bet was Watson would be starting in week 7. I'll let them slide there without even batting an eye. But let's at least come clean with Schwartz. Throw him five passes Monday... if he doesn't catch four without looking like he's afraid of the field... just go ahead and move on. Done.

DTs? Yes, we knew there was a weakness, there also weren't any easy answers in FA (correct me if I'm wrong). Once we made the Watson deal, our pick at that position was made the way most of our middle-round picks are made. Analytics predicting upside. I've got no problem with that either.

All teams have weaknesses. Weaknesses are exacerbated when things you see as strengths simply don't hold up. The collective intellect on this board also said we were among the best secondaries in the league. Looking at talent alone, it was easy to predict that would be true. It's been anything but. Now, stack on top of talent, upside. The upside of having Delpit turn the corner while coming into camp injury free, the upside of JOK getting better in his second season. Those two players have looked lost much of the time. A blind man would have better eyeballs on many of these plays. Keep stacking... communication issues, players that talk the talk but don't walk the walk, excuses, finger-pointing. When all this crap goes down, when what you think are strengths are basically below-average... guess what the actual weaknesses look like? You got it, dog $h*t.

But lets back up a bit. A FO and aligned leadership went through (I say "went through" because Haslam pushed the chips in) something entirely uncharacteristic to their normal mindset. They quit churning the asset barrel and cashed in all draft capital. All that's left at that point is CAP. Did we really expect them to push-in all those chips as well? With a 1/4B QB contract and uncertainty to when he would even hit the field? Not just no, HELL no. Doing so under such uncertainty would be stupid.

So, along with a bunch of other things that probably would have been attacked in a different manner, we pushed the problems up the road and went into wait-and-see mode. Wait and see what happens with Watson... wait and see what we have with "all this talent".

Now, the disconnect? First, more of the devil... who says there is a disconnect? Maybe these dudes are still aligned in almost every category. Maybe they're looking at the problems for what they are and laugh at our over-reaction. Maybe they think they're on the right track and have just been unfortunate with many of the results. Maybe they know kicking the can up the road was inevitable and just want to work together through the problems and they see more and more clearly that this is, in fact, a lost season. Again -- devil's advocate there.

My real opinion on disconnect? LEADERSHIP STYLE. I still believe these guys are pretty much aligned in vision, but there's no one willing to put their fists on the table and get a little loud with what's happening on the field of play.

I won't go all long and drawn-out, (too late naughtydevil ) but it's easy to compare myself to Stefanski. I was very good at running other people's businesses but had some hard lessons to learn about leadership went I started my own. After years of dealing with abusive owners and management I thought I would just snap my fingers and have some Utopian environment where everybody just worked together and did their job. Hang signs on the wall like "Smart, Tough, Accountable" and "Play Like a Champion Today" and everything else would take care of itself. It didn't take long to realize I needed to be a lot less like Stefanski/Berry and much more like Tomlin.

I didn't run around yelling and screaming; but everyone knew when I wasn't happy. And when you didn't play like a champion, there were repercussions. Delpit and JOK would be spending some time on special teams (bussing tables) and see a reduced roll in the defense (lining their pockets as a waiter). When there were problems, I wasn't walking around playing everyone's best friend.

My management style had to be much more hard-nosed and a lot less friendly until we reached critical mass with leadership amongst the troops. I feel like we have a team full of players saying "not my problem, I'm doing my job" whether they are or not.

(I feel) we are severely lacking with leadership on the field. And much as I've experienced, that creates dissent amongst the troops. People that work hard and care, get annoyed with those that don't. With no vocal leaders, no "glue", you end of with factions and a lot of whispering and finger-pointing behind the scenes. Pretty soon, everybody is unhappy. If your leaders in management are still sitting on their hands, waiting for things to sort themselves out; you're going to have some real problems.

JMO, and certainly not saying I have it all figured out. These are just my suspicions of where the real underlying problems may lie in Berea.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
j/c:

Browns Could Buy and Sell at Deadline if Opportunities are There

The Cleveland Browns could be opportunists at the NFL trading deadline, potentially in the market to add players as well as sell off some pieces to bring back draft assets.
PETE SMITH9 HOURS AGO

The two goals Cleveland Browns general manager Andrew Berry have in preparation for a pivotal offseason include reclaiming draft assets spent in acquiring quarterback Deshaun Watson and finding cost effective pieces that can at least give them options in addressing some of their areas of weakness.

As a result, the Browns have the potential to do some buying as well as selling ahead of the trade deadline. Even though the NFL trade deadline doesn't tend to be super active, teams are becoming more willing to make deals. This year, with some unexpected teams making charges toward the postseason, they could be in the market to replace injured players or bolster their chances to make a run in pursuit of a championship.

The Browns already made one trade, taking a flyer on linebacker Deion Jones in exchange for a pick swap with the Atlanta Falcons. With the loss of Anthony Walker Jr. with a leg injury, the team wanted more veteran help as Jacob Phillips was struggling. Now with Phillips likely out for the year, Jones will be the starter.

Potential Buys
Matt Ioannidis, Defensive Tackle, Carolina Panthers
The Panthers are not having a fire sale, but they are taking calls on non-essential personnel in an effort to build up their draft assets as they prepare to hire a new head coach.

Ioannidis is a solid but unspectacular defensive tackle option that is signed to a one-year deal. His base salary for the rest of the season is under a million dollars, which is a great fit for the Browns, who don't want to take on bloated contracts as they plan to rollover as much money as possible into 2023.

Much as they did in the trade for linebacker Deion Jones, the Browns would be looking to do a pick swap for Ioannidis. That might be swapping a fourth-round pick for a sixth-round pick for example. They don't want to go down on the number of picks they have, already being down so many as a result of the Watson trade, but they are willing to move down in rounds if it gets them something of worth.

Ioannidis gets a look for the rest of the year. If the two sides are happy with the arrangement, the Browns could then sign him to a new deal and keep him in Cleveland when he will be 29 years old.

Daron Payne, Defensive Tackle, Washington Commanders
The Commanders are a mess. From ownership to an embattled head coach in Ron Rivera, the team is headed nowhere fast. Payne is young and has had success, though he's not having a great year. The Browns love big bodies that can rush the passer and Payne can, but could stand to be more consistent against the run.

Payne's base salary is a hair over $8.5 million. The Browns would owe him whatever's left on the deal, which would nearly half. It's not ideal in terms of what the Browns want to do salary-wise this year. It would also mean the Browns then plan to extend Payne to make sense.

Payne is poised to hit the free agent market at 26 years old. He could end up getting a bigger payday than his play might warrant, which is why the Browns might be inclined to make a move to secure his services early.

Once again, the Browns are likely to want to make a pick swap rather than give up a selection. However, that might be more difficult to do here unless the Browns are willing to trade down from one of the few early picks they have.

Shy Tuttle, Defensive Tackle, New Orleans Saints
Tuttle is going to be a free agent after this season and the Saints continue to deal with horrific cap issues. The Saints may not be enthusiastic about trading a starting defensive tackle but the team is riddled with injuries in addition to poor quarterback play. If the team is of the opinion that the team is going to get worse rather than better, they might be interested in adding draft capital as they continue to work through the post-Drew Brees era.

The Browns would owe Tuttle the remainder of a $2.43 million base salary. He's going to be 28 years old next year and could be another option to potentially bolster their interior.

Sellable Assets
Kareem Hunt, Running Back
From the moment the season was set to begin Hunt always made sense as a player the Browns could move. Holding onto him until the trade deadline might have been the prudent move as there are teams still looking for running back.

Additionally, some teams have suffered some catastrophic injuries while in position to make a run for the postseason. The San Francisco 49ers acquired Christian McCaffrey from the Carolina Panthers and the New York Jets added James Robinson from the Jacksonville Jaguars. The Los Angeles Rams are a team that has been openly looking for help in the backfield, but there may be others in search of a valuable complimentary back like the Buffalo Bills.

Hunt is an average runner, but a good blocker and pass catcher. He's someone that a team can consistently have on the field and benefit. He's better suited to play in a heavy gap scheme to compensate for a lack of vision.

The Browns aren't likely to get some huge haul for Hunt, but they could get themselves a day three pick for his services. It could be a fifth round pick or perhaps a conditional pick. If the Browns are getting offered anything more than that, it's a bonus.

The other thing that makes Hunt interesting is that one of the reasons he's attractive is his low contract figure. The team acquiring him would only owe him what's left of his $1.35 million base salary. He is scheduled to be a free agent.

At 28 years old and a history of injuries, it's hard to believe that Hunt will be fielding massive contract offers. They might be able to offer him a larger role, but Hunt really is best suited to be a utility back as opposed to a featured one. Maybe the Browns love what they see from Jerome Ford and D'Ernest Johnson. They may even look to draft another back. Don't be so sure Hunt couldn't effectively be rented out the rest of this year and return in 2023.

Greedy Williams, Corner
Williams missed the start of the season with a hamstring injury and the Browns have have move on. Rookie corner Martin Emerson is a contrast in styles that allows the Browns to present different looks. He's been pretty solid as a rookie and is improving as he gains experience.

Williams played against the Baltimore Ravens in limited role, but when Denzel Ward returns from injury, Williams may not see the field at all. Injuries have been the biggest issue for Williams, but he's played good football including much of last season.

Williams still offers excellent speed and good length for the position. He's well suited for a heavy man scheme that can let their corner play up and just run with receivers. Williams tends to be too conservative in off man coverage, taking false steps and plays like he's afraid to get beat deep.

Williams is in the final year of his contract and there's virtually no chance he will be re-signed. This is a situation where the Browns are weighing what teams might offer for Williams now versus what they project he will get in free agency that determines his compensatory value. The fear is that the team he signs with will want him to sign a one-year prove it deal, which could limit what the Browns would get back in 2024.

Jack Conklin, Offensive Tackle
Conklin is playing well and looks healthy coming off of a serious knee injury. The Browns planned ahead for life after Conklin by drafting James Hudson in 2021. He struggled as a rookie after being pressed into action due to Conkling going out for the season. When Hudson has played in 2022 before Conklin was ready to go, he played reasonably well.

With the Browns looking to cut costs, this becomes a natural pivot point for the Browns. So long as Hudson continues to grow and improve, the Browns will maintain the quality of the line at a lower cost. The Browns just did this with J.C. Tretter and Nick Harris at center. Harris then got injured, so now they have Ethan Pocic holding down the pivot.

There are a number of teams using rookie tackles either due to injury or ineffectiveness to veteran options. That might make a team perhaps pay a little more for someone like Conklin, then likely to sign him to an extension. If the offer is high enough, potentially a third round pick or more, they could be willing to move him.

The rub is that if the Browns do indeed let Conklin walk in free agency, he's likely to sign a lucrative deal which will then give the Browns a compensatory pick. Given the rarity of premium tackle options, it would be a surprise if the Browns don't get a third or fourth round pick selection in 2024, especially if teams feel confident Conklin will improve the further away he gets from the injury. The Browns might be happy to get a pick in 2024 and could price that into a negotiation now.

D'Ernest Johnson, Running Back
Johnson wants to play, understandably. The Browns don't have a lot of touches to give him, so he's mostly on special teams if he's active at all.

Johnson isn't a great receiver or blocker, but he is at least functional in those roles. That's why Kareem Hunt plays over him. However, Johnson has been a productive runner, averaging 5.3 yards per carry on 137 career carries.

His vision is a great fit for a zone scheme. He's got a good burst, churns his legs through contact and fights for every yard. His contract is cheap and he's a player that shouldn't cost much to retain if the team that gets him is happy with the impact, becoming a valuable role player in a rotation.

Johnson could fetch a late day three pick, likely in the sixth or seventh round.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/browns-could-be-buyers-and-sellers

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Now we're looking for DT's. Why didn't we start in the summer. We knew then it was a position of weakness.

1 member likes this: mgh888
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Now we're looking for DT's. Why didn't we start in the summer. We knew then it was a position of weakness.

Now they're looking for DT's. Why didn't they start in the summer ? They knew then it was a position of weakness.

Did they know ? or was it they believed what Woods felt was the best type of DT for his scheme ?

They see and know things in a different way then

We us or I as a fan. Sometimes I believe we us or I, well not me really lol

Are smarter than them !

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I understand the love for Hunt

I also know the NFL is a business, oops we all know that, Right ?

I've also seen how good teams know when to part ways with a player when necessary for the team to keep being successful

Fan favorites or teammate favorites they did it and they knew how to.

Hunt is a favorite and he was a good thing for the team and the fans as was others

I think about how a group of RB's like Chubb Johnson and Ford who are big hard hitting and fast

Can just pound away at a D that by the 4th quarter the D is beaten and exhausted.

Who knows, it's Cleveland

1 member likes this: bbrowns32
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Floquinho
Other GMs knows that Berry is desperate and that will reflect Kareem and Greedy’s trade value. Apart from bad timing this once again gives vibes about another panic move from the Browns FO.

Why am I not surprised….

That doesn’t make any sense. The FO DOES NOT have to trade either of them if they don’t want and still get possible compensation.

4 members like this: PitDAWG, Versatile Dog, MemphisBrownie
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog

Okay, I will not be a fan of this trade if it happens. I get trading Hunt given his status, but more importantly, the fact that we have great depth at his position. Not a fan of getting rid of top-level offensive tackles.
Conklin as elite as his skill level is, can't stay off the IR.
James Hudson has not played bad at all in his place.
In fact Hudson is lights better this year when you remember
He got abused by T.J Watt last year.
Hudson has upside , and doesn't cost as much as Conklin.
Football is a business too. I don't think the Browns front
Office feels they are getting their money's worth out of JC.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If Joe Woods thought he had what he needed at DT he was probably the only one that felt that way. Most posters on this forum and even some analysts on the sports shows mentioned our talent deficiency at DT and even WR.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg

Now they're looking for DT's. Why didn't they start in the summer ? They knew then it was a position of weakness.

Did they know ? or was it they believed what Woods felt was the best type of DT for his scheme ?

Are smarter than them !

No, our DTs don't fit Woods 4-2-5 defense. It's the one spot in that particular defense that requires big, space-eating, block-occupying, guys.

Also, us fans are definitely not "smarter" than they are.

1 member likes this: Homewood Dog
Legend
Legend
trading Conklin might become a necessary evil. Maybe we think Hudson can fill in well enough and we can save some cap space, which will be needed now

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
Legend
V
This is just my opinion. I know the record is not good. However, I think this team is much better than what some people are saying. There was only one game we got beat up on the scoreboard, but even that game could have went the other way had Green not been out of bounds on the Onside kick. Losing close games one year is similar to teams who get a bunch of turnovers in a year. The trend often turns in the next year.

We will have an elite QB next year. I think it would be a huge mistake to start creating holes. The salary cap thing is so overrated. Not saying it isn't a factor, but we are in good shape and teams rarely are destroyed by the salary cap anymore. It used to be a much bigger factor than it is now.

I understand trading Hunt because we have Chubb, DEJ, and the rook. While Hudson played well enough at the start of the year, people on here hated him last year. Conklin is an elite tackle. I would not trade him. I realize my opinion doesn't matter to the Browns. I'm just voicing my opinion. There is no way that I agree w/all the doom and gloom posters on this board. This team is close and I think we have a real shot next year if we don't start getting rid of real talent.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Just remember that Conklin is in the last year of his deal just like Hunt is except the Browns will be getting a cap hit of 3M per year for the next two years because of the void years Berry put in Conklin's deal. I guess the question is for both of these guys, are the Browns even considering resigning them (Conklin age 30) and/or (Hunt age 28)? If not and they're throwing away this season, then get some picks for these guys if you can. The big issue I see is the Browns already are in need of multiple FS's, 2-DT's minimum, DE replacement for Clowney, multiple LB's, multiple WR's, a LT if Wills keeps laying stinkers like last game (PFF 32.9), RT for Conklin, and more backups than I can count. This team is looking at some major restructure coming this off season with no 1st round pick. If they're not going to trade Conklin or Hunt, they better get them under contract before January or these guys will be darting out of Cleveland. JMHO

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
M
Legend
Legend
M
I believe the thought process with trading Conklin is that he is gone next year regardless. Get some value now and let Hudson get the reps in a season that is all but over. It is highly unlikely the Browns re-sign Conklin to a new deal. They have a lot of money tied up in Bitonio and Teller. Additionally, the Browns are going to have to decide on whether or not to pick up Wills 5th year option. In all likelihood they will and that's an additional $13M in salary next year tied up in the OL. Conklin will be able to make more on the open market than what the Browns will be willing to offer.

I'd say its a pretty safe bet that Hudson is the starting RT next year.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M

Are smarter than them !

No, our DTs don't fit Woods 4-2-5 defense. It's the one spot in that particular defense that requires big, space-eating, block-occupying, guys.

Question...are we going to pretend that the DT talent the Browns are putting on the field is not the talent Woods had a hand in selecting?

These are the guys Woods wanted...Jordan Elliot was a 3rd round pick in 2020 and Woods was the DC at that time...this is his guy..!!

Woods wanted DT Taven Bryan in free agency..Bryan was a 1st round draft choice of Jags in 2018

The Browns drafted DT, Tommy Togiai in 4th round of the 2021 draft with input from Woods.

In the 2022 draft, the Browns used a 4th round (#108) draft pick on DT, Perrion Winfrey...again, with Woods as the Browns DC.
Three of the Browns top 4 draft picks of 2022 were in support of Woods defensive side of the ball.

Woods has had 3 years to develop the DT position, with the GM adding talent via free agency and the draft. Let's not pretend that Woods had NO INPUT into who GM Berry brought in in free agency and who was drafted to help Woods man the DT position of the Browns.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: DawgPound75
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is just my opinion. I know the record is not good. However, I think this team is much better than what some people are saying. There was only one game we got beat up on the scoreboard, but even that game could have went the other way had Green not been out of bounds on the Onside kick. Losing close games one year is similar to teams who get a bunch of turnovers in a year. The trend often turns in the next year.

We will have an elite QB next year. I think it would be a huge mistake to start creating holes. The salary cap thing is so overrated. Not saying it isn't a factor, but we are in good shape and teams rarely are destroyed by the salary cap anymore. It used to be a much bigger factor than it is now.

I understand trading Hunt because we have Chubb, DEJ, and the rook. While Hudson played well enough at the start of the year, people on here hated him last year. Conklin is an elite tackle. I would not trade him. I realize my opinion doesn't matter to the Browns. I'm just voicing my opinion. There is no way that I agree w/all the doom and gloom posters on this board. This team is close and I think we have a real shot next year if we don't start getting rid of real talent.

I think you need look no further than the LA Rams, GB Packers and TB Bucs this year as to what happens when your line or skill players are not up to snuff. Watson or not, if the Browns do not fix WR they will be in trouble again next year. Like all 3 of the above, putting a body out there at the OT spot does not make up for the skill level you just lost. IMHO, the Browns are looking at the strong possibility of having to replace both tackles next year. Conklin because he's a FA and the Browns won't pay him and Wills because he has not come close to earning his 5th year option and last week showed how poorly he can play (PFF 32.9). Truthfully, as a team, you cannot accept that level of play from your healthy LT. Add into that at least 5 bonafide starting spots on defense and the Browns could be trotting out lessor talent than they are this year, and this year has exposed some serious issues. I will be interested to see what Berry does (if he's still here) but all indications were this was a playoff team this year with Watson and IMHO, I don't see the supporting cast that proves that.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
1 member likes this: DawgPound75
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

V
Legend
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Milk Man
I believe the thought process with trading Conklin is that he is gone next year regardless. Get some value now and let Hudson get the reps in a season that is all but over. It is highly unlikely the Browns re-sign Conklin to a new deal. They have a lot of money tied up in Bitonio and Teller. Additionally, the Browns are going to have to decide on whether or not to pick up Wills 5th year option. In all likelihood they will and that's an additional $13M in salary next year tied up in the OL. Conklin will be able to make more on the open market than what the Browns will be willing to offer.

I'd say its a pretty safe bet that Hudson is the starting RT next year.

I understand that logic and I'm pretty sure that is how the Browns view it. I am not claiming to be correct, but I have never believed in creating holes. If you have a really good guy waiting in the wings [see DEJ at RB] than it makes sense to me. I still think this team can contend next year for it all. There are no guarantees about such things, but this team is not nearly as bad as some claim they are.

I'm not mad or stomping my feet. The salary cap thing is vastly overrated in today's game.

All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by ScottPlayersFacemask
Other GMs knows that Berry is desperate and that will reflect Kareem and Greedy’s trade value. Apart from bad timing this once again gives vibes about another panic move from the Browns FO.

Why am I not surprised….

That doesn’t make any sense. The FO DOES NOT have to trade either of them if they don’t want and still get possible compensation.

Maybe I’m ignorant but if they don’t trade any player then who’s going to compensate us?

Isn’t Hunts contract situation common knowledge and us dumping him and others in the middle of the season is in my world a sign og weakness. Maybe I totally misunderstood these trades but if so please enlighten me why these trades are so good? Getting a late round pick in the next draft is better then nothing but at the same time we lose solid good players. From my perspective it’s a little bit of a gamble and a sign that this season is lost but as Vers (the expert) often point out what do I know?

Legend
Legend
Maybe I’m ignorant but if they don’t trade any player then who’s going to compensate us?

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-compensatory-draft-picks-what-you-need-to-know

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Are smarter than them !

I was kind of speaking in the terms of most fans from the beginning of the draft and there on questioned why bigger DT's were not drafted or picked up in FA

I said in another post that most OT's are bigger than the DT's on the Browns team.

I feel that the people involved fell into Woods bs on who he wanted as DT's on his Defense

Clearly most of us wanted bigger tougher DT's from the get go

The FO gave Woods the DT's he wanted

Most fans weren't happy with the undersized guys

So whose smarter , Us or them ? lol in a way ya know !

Still not sure if it's the DT's or the scheme or what it is

6-4 290 291 and 303 and 6-2 296

That's the DT's

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by jfanent

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-compensatory-draft-picks-what-you-need-to-know

I hope the FO isn't counting their chickens with the compensatory pick thing. First thing is that guys like Hunt and Greedy - if they brought compensatory picks at all - would create comp picks in the '24 draft...not next year.

Secondly, with no first rd picks for two more drafts, we will need to be players in free agency to bolster the roster for a playoff window - that is already closing. If we sign more value than we lose (in free agency). the comp picks won't be coming our way.

Bird in the hand.

2 members like this: FATE, Floquinho
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Are smarter than them !

I was kind of speaking in the terms of most fans from the beginning of the draft and there on questioned why bigger DT's were not drafted or picked up in FA

I said in another post that most OT's are bigger than the DT's on the Browns team.

I feel that the people involved fell into Woods bs on who he wanted as DT's on his Defense

Clearly most of us wanted bigger tougher DT's from the get go

The FO gave Woods the DT's he wanted

Most fans weren't happy with the undersized guys

So whose smarter , Us or them ? lol in a way ya know !

Still not sure if it's the DT's or the scheme or what it is

6-4 290 291 and 303 and 6-2 296

That's the DT's

Your points there are very difficult to refute.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I know it's hard to keep up w/all the posts on this board, bro. I will tell you that I posted several times about DTs in the 4-2-5. bone's thread before the season about Woods' defense and I think again in another Woods thread.

The 4-2-5 uses a lot of more athletic, mobile, agile guys who can run sideline to sideline. More safeties and fewer LBers on the field is more typical than the other way around. Thus, the D as a whole is light. The one exception to that is that DTs are supposed to be big. They are there to play the run. They take up space and are supposed to eat up blocks and keep the smaller guys free.

We have not provided those types of DTs to Woods. I highly, highly doubt that he has asked for the kind of DTs we have had on our roster. He's an easy target and/or fall guy. I am not sure if he is a good DC or not. I just don't see any evidence where the scheme is a huge problem. You can identify liabilities in every single defense out there, but that doesn't mean it's a bad scheme. It's not like we're running a 50 defense and play Cover 0 all the time. I posted an article earlier that 28% of the league has coaches that came from the same tree that produced Woods. That doesn't mean he is good. It simply means that saying the scheme sucks is something some dudes on here fabricated.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mac

Are smarter than them !

Question...are we going to pretend that the DT talent the Browns are putting on the field is not the talent Woods had a hand in selecting?

These are the guys Woods wanted...Jordan Elliot was a 3rd round pick in 2020 and Woods was the DC at that time...this is his guy..!!

Woods wanted DT Taven Bryan in free agency..Bryan was a 1st round draft choice of Jags in 2018

The Browns drafted DT, Tommy Togiai in 4th round of the 2021 draft with input from Woods.

In the 2022 draft, the Browns used a 4th round (#108) draft pick on DT, Perrion Winfrey...again, with Woods as the Browns DC.
Three of the Browns top 4 draft picks of 2022 were in support of Woods defensive side of the ball.

Woods has had 3 years to develop the DT position, with the GM adding talent via free agency and the draft. Let's not pretend that Woods had NO INPUT into who GM Berry brought in in free agency and who was drafted to help Woods man the DT position of the Browns.

Well, if I want you to make a gourmet meal and send you to 7/11 with the shopping list...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Vers I believe the DT's we've been looking at to bring in are much bigger than what we have now am I right?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by mac

I think you need to make up your mind. There is a vast difference between having input and a player being "his guy".

What you seem to be suggesting is that the coaching staff gets to hand pick the draft picks they want and the FO simply picks those players without considering their analytics departments assessment. It appears as though you want to have it both ways. You have consistently railed against and blamed many of the teams woes on being too heavily invested in following the analytics and not the player. Which is possible. I'm not sure on that because there does have to be a delicate balance between analytics and what a player is doing on film as it pertains to his ability to perform.

Now you wish to blame Woods for the picks. So it would look like on the surface you need to make up your mind which way this all works. Are you suggesting that Barry, DePodesta and the analytics department simply sit back and draft/sign a wish list of players that the coaching staff hands them? If so Haslam is handing out a lot of Benjamans for that FO to ignore what is supposed to be their specialty. And are you suggesting that Woods is telling the FO that he wants them to wait until the middle rounds of the draft with which to address the interior DL?

I don't think these are "Woods guys". Now if it's as Vers suggests and these players do not fit the scheme, it is possible that Woods is asking for players that are not best suited to play in his own defense. But even that wouldn't make a lot of sense to me.

So no, I don't think Woods is telling them to wait until the middle of the draft to address the position. I don't think that Woods is simply saying which players he wants and Berry just fills his list. It's up to the FO as to where in the draft they invest on any given position. It's up to them how much of the salary cap they invest at each position. It's their analytics and player assessments that determine which players they draft and sign.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying some of the defensive woes haven't been at least partly on Woods. But there are things that make sense on what he may be blamed for and things that don't make sense to blame him for. In this case it doesn't make sense.

Blaming the chef because he was given crappy ingredients is a road I won't be traveling down.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I can't remember if it was Berry or KS but at one time one of them mentioned that they prefer smaller penetrating DTs over the bigger run stopping type and that's a huge problem for us because they also prefer smaller fast LBs. If you don't have at least one pretty good penetrating DT than you have no one that the opposing Oline needs to double team which allows that extra Olineman to get to the next level and take out our smaller LBs. Bryan is the best we have as a penetrating DT and he's at best a backup on a good team, I thought Elliott was going to be a good player but his play has just been so uninspiring, and Togiai is a really undersized run stopping type DT. With smaller fast LBs you either need 2 good penetrating DTs, or an Aaron Donald, or at least one run stopping DT type who can tie up 2 blockers.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
V
Legend
Legend
V
I think so. Typically, they aren't guys who penetrate a lot and make a ton of plays in the backfield. Instead, they eat up blocks and clog up the middle which allows the faster guys to run around and make plays. It seems like bigger guys would be better at that. I never ran or even coached against the 4-2-5 back in my day, so I had to do a lot of research. I'll see if I can round up some of the articles I read when I have more time. I'm working on our advertising package for next month today, so I am only coming on here to take a break every once in awhile. The numbers get hard on the eyes after awhile.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
So maybe the schemes ok it's just that we don't have all the right personnel.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Perhaps. I'm not sold on Woods yet. I've been watching closer since the Jets game. I haven't seen anything glaring in regards to scheme, but TV looks are limited. Plays like the Burns video that I posted on the Woods and the Defense thread are what really is needed to make better evaluations. There was nothing wrong w/the scheme there at all. There was plenty of poor execution by at least 3 players, maybe four if you include Bryan. Woods could have other issues beyond scheme, though. He is probably fighting for his job.

The guy who bugs me is Priefer, the Special Teams coach. I see plenty of issues that are on him. I guess he is a very upbeat guy, but damn.....some of his decisions boggle my mind. I'm not saying I know more than he does, because I don't.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Here is an excerpt from a larger article on the 4-2-5.​The 4-2-5 defensive alignment starts up front with the big guys. Check the link out for further information about the 4-2-5, as well as a graphic that shows how the DL lines up. It's interesting to see a NT who shades the center/guard and a DT who is aligned to the outside shoulder of the guard on the opposite side. I'm pretty sure that's just base and that we move those guys around to a more traditional 40 look.

There are four “down” linemen in this formation, and while it looks like a more traditional base defensive alignment, it throws a few wrenches into that categorization.

For the most part, the make-up and skillset of each of the players on the defensive line in a 4-2-5 defense are vastly different than in a base defense with four down linemen.

With one notable exception:

The nose tackle.

The nose tackle in a 4-2-5 defense could be perhaps the most important position on the field. That’s because the nose tackle might be the only “big body” the defense has on the field.

All the other players could be on the smaller side, exchanging size for speed and athleticism.

The role of the nose tackle is to clog up the middle of the offensive line and take on literally as many blockers as he possibly can. His initial lining up position will be somewhere between the center and the guard.

It’s not necessarily important that the nose tackle put pressure on the quarterback or make any stops in the run game himself at all.

His responsibility is to take on blockers to create holes for linebackers to plug or for them to blitz into. That’s why it’s really important the nose tackle is a very big, strong player who can take a pounding.

The other defensive tackle in the 4-2-5 system will often line up on the outside shoulder of the other offensive guard.

This is because the nose tackle should be handling the center and the other guard by himself.

This other defensive tackle’s job is to create pressure from the down position, getting into either the A or B gap on his side of the center.

https://footballadvantage.com/4-2-5-defense/

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Now you wish to blame Woods for the picks. So it would look like on the surface you need to make up your mind which way this all works. Are you suggesting that Barry, DePodesta and the analytics department simply sit back and draft/sign a wish list of players that the coaching staff hands them?

PIT...Woods would not have taken the job as DC if he did not have some input into the kind of players he wanted Berry to draft and based on that "reality" Woods does have input and also has some responsibility for the type of DTs Berry is drafting to play his defense...kind of common sense..!

Hopefully Depo had nothing to do with judging DLine talent.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's pretty much what I said. He may very well tell the FO what type of players he wants. But IMO that's about the extent of it. He isn't telling them to only address it with mid round talent. He isn't telling them not to go after help in the FA market. I don't see how that makes the players on the roster "his guys".

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
That's pretty much what I said. He may very well tell the FO what type of players he wants. But IMO that's about the extent of it. He isn't telling them to only address it with mid round talent. He isn't telling them not to go after help in the FA market. I don't see how that makes the players on the roster "his guys".

Pit...yea, we were pretty much saying the same thing...but let's not act as if Woods didn't have a say into what players he preferred.

IMO, it was obvious that Woods wanted small quick DTs vs run stopping, 330 pound DTs, who could bench 225 33 times. Like I said, let's not act like Woods didn't take the Browns DC job without telling the Browns what he needed to make his defense work.

The Browns LBers are on the small quick side, too...JOK and Fields drafted in 2021, both 220#.

T
Legend
Legend
T
So maybe the schemes ok it's just that we don't have all the right personnel.
What year is this then? Is it 20I6 again? Is it 20I7 again? I thought all of that personnel stuff got figured out?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by dawg66
I can't remember if it was Berry or KS but at one time one of them mentioned that they prefer smaller penetrating DTs over the bigger run stopping type and that's a huge problem for us because they also prefer smaller fast LBs. If you don't have at least one pretty good penetrating DT than you have no one that the opposing Oline needs to double team which allows that extra Olineman to get to the next level and take out our smaller LBs. Bryan is the best we have as a penetrating DT and he's at best a backup on a good team, I thought Elliott was going to be a good player but his play has just been so uninspiring, and Togiai is a really undersized run stopping type DT. With smaller fast LBs you either need 2 good penetrating DTs, or an Aaron Donald, or at least one run stopping DT type who can tie up 2 blockers.

It doesn't seem like we have those penetrating DT's either

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I guess not but in all fairness it takes a good 3 tries before we get anything right. thumbsup

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 10/26/22 06:30 PM.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Wow, sounds like this FO is throwing in the towel this season. Quiters.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns possibly looking to trade Kareem Hunt and Greedy.

Link Copied to Clipboard