Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by boofers20
It'll be interesting to see how many snaps Hunt gets on Monday night, I wouldn't be suprised if he is a healthy scratch, which would tell you a trade is imminent

That is why I won't play him in my fantasy leagues. I don't want to get to Monday night and find we aren't playing him or he has just been traded.

On a sidenote, him being traded would be good from that standpoint. He should get more work if he is traded, and so would Chubb, who I also have. It will also vindicate my keeping DJ on my roster as I have been expecting a trade of Hunt. Now DJ should get some work.

Worst that happens is no trade happens, and that really isn't all that bad, I still have Hunt on my real team for at least another 10 games.
Apparantly your fantasy league(s) and the players individual best/self interests are more important to you than the Browns teams' success.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would trade Greedy and I would trade Denzel Ward as well.

I am torn on trading Hunt. I like him but not the way we use him. I would use him like the 49ers used Deebo Samual last season. I would have Chubb and Hunt on the field at the same time. And I would sign him to a 2-3 year extension. But the way we use him? Trade him.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
L
Legend
Legend
L
The secondary benefited from a good pass rush tonight, for sure, but I wouldn’t trade Greedy. The DBs were solid tonight.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Versatile Dog
L
Legend
Legend
L
Trading hunt will never get value, He won't be unreasonable in his demands for a new contract and we are better with him than without, Johnson is alright but he is no Hunt. Losing Hunt means losing part of our identity. I'd keep him and work on an extension before free agency. he wants to be here and he's the kind of guy you keep around. Trading Greedy is a nothing burger, trading Conklin would be dumb too.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by leadtheway
Trading hunt will never get value, He won't be unreasonable in his demands for a new contract and we are better with him than without, Johnson is alright but he is no Hunt. Losing Hunt means losing part of our identity. I'd keep him and work on an extension before free agency. he wants to be here and he's the kind of guy you keep around. Trading Greedy is a nothing burger, trading Conklin would be dumb too.

I would think that if we trade Hunt we would have explored extending him.

If it hasn't already happened, it probably isn't.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I’m thinking last night probably made us a little more hesitant to trade him

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think last night was used to better showcase him before the deadline today. Hunt will certainly explore the FA market next year. And at this point I think there are a coupe of questions everyone needs to ask themselves.....

With having watson, who everyone pretty much agrees is a premiere QB, would the Browns consider it wise to match or exceed the FA value of Hunt as a secondary RB when they have Johnson waiting in the wings? As of now the Browns must depend on the RB's to help open up the passing game. That certainly won't be the case when they have a QB who gives them the ability to also use the passing game to open up the running game. Would you really pay 8 million per year for a back up RB under such conditions? As of now Hunt's contract has been paying him 6 million per year. For a RB needy team he will be worth more to them than to the Browns. I don't see the Browns paying that kind of money for a second string RB after signing watson.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The one caveat to it: Hunt is Chubb’s boy. Chubb is our MVP. If Michael Jordan wants Steve Kerr, you re-sign Steve Kerr.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
2 members like this: jfanent, FATE
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I say keep them both. We're a better team with Hunt and Greedy: yes, a healthy Greedy. He played well last night. If he stays healthy I think he may even get better. JMO

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
The one caveat to it: Hunt is Chubb’s boy. Chubb is our MVP. If Michael Jordan wants Steve Kerr, you re-sign Steve Kerr.

I agree with this.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I kinda doubt we trade Hunt now. I think we would have moved him if we got our asking price, but they wouldn't take less than what they thought he was worth. He'll probably sign somewhere else next year and it would have been nice to get some value in return for him, but he's too damn good to just give away for a lower round pick. I have no idea what the Browns wanted in return. I'm guessing a 4th or better. But, that's just a guess.

R
Legend
Legend
R
The part I didn't like was why trade Hunt now. If you wouldn't do it before the season, it seems like it's punting on the current season, which the organization shouldn't be doing. Just weird timing unless he's being a malcontent behind the scenes.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think it's confusing at all and has nothing to do with "punting on the current season". We have seen it mentioned season after season several times on this board and why people suddenly find it some kind of mystery is baffling at best. At the beginning of the season most teams are healthy and set at most positions. The demand for a player at any given position when teams are healthy at their respective positions isn't in high demand. Also they may think they have the position filled adequately only to find out they don't.

So through attrition, the more injuries teams sustain and the more they figure out they need help at the RB position the more demand there is in the market. This has always been the case.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
I was opposed to trading him before the season. RBs take more punishment than any other position. Imagine if Chubb got hurt during camp or in the first game or two. I get that we have DEJ and the rookie, but Hunt and Chubb are the best duo in the league. Not having either of them would suck. But, that's just my opinion.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
I kinda doubt we trade Hunt now. I think we would have moved him if we got our asking price, but they wouldn't take less than what they thought he was worth. He'll probably sign somewhere else next year and it would have been nice to get some value in return for him, but he's too damn good to just give away for a lower round pick. I have no idea what the Browns wanted in return. I'm guessing a 4th or better. But, that's just a guess.

Just to play on the words, is it better to give him away for nothing?

I understand it may not be "giving" him away, but if you don't have him on the team it's pretty much the same thing. No?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I don't think it's confusing at all and has nothing to do with "punting on the current season". We have seen it mentioned season after season several times on this board and why people suddenly find it some kind of mystery is baffling at best. At the beginning of the season most teams are healthy and set at most positions. The demand for a player at any given position when teams are healthy at their respective positions isn't in high demand. Also they may think they have the position filled adequately only to find out they don't.

So through attrition, the more injuries teams sustain and the more they figure out they need help at the RB position the more demand there is in the market. This has always been the case.

And add to that the upside of certain teams seeing a window and deciding that a certain player will help them climb through before it closes. That's where we usually see the largest upside of ROI and that also usually takes place during the season.

The comp pick formula is not only "secret" but very hard to decode. Cfrs15 was pretty knowledgeable with all of this stuff, but he's been mia since the Jets debacle. The NFL says it's based on salary, playing time, and postseason honors, whatever-the-heck that means. I suspect we'll see more of Hunt down the stretch so that he reaches all roster bonuses and time on the field. But what will that amount to? Probably a 4th round pick in 2024. Not really the return we're looking for. Even if it's a 3rd, it's the latest of 3rds and takes a full year to become an actual asset.

I don't know all the ins and outs of NFL player negotiations, but I suspect we will continue to work on an extension with Hunt. I also suspect we will fail. I've said it many times (although posters usually confused the statement with me advocating for a trade)... he is and has been our most valuable trade chip. This is true because he has a much greater value to other teams without a RB named Chubb on their roster.

Unfortunately, at this late hour, the chip turns more to a thorn in our side every week. Every week he is closer to being a free agent signing with a team that will likely pay way more for the upside he brings to their org.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
We still have him for the rest of the year. He can help us win games. I'm not declaring we go on a run, but it's not out of the question. I think this team is nowhere near as bad as some are saying they are. Just my opinion.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
We still have him for the rest of the year. He can help us win games. I'm not declaring we go on a run, but it's not out of the question. I think this team is nowhere near as bad as some are saying they are. Just my opinion.

It's semantics, really. In the end, you're as bad as your record says you are; that's just the reality of it. Everything else is just potential, and all the unrealized potential in the world and 25 cents might get you a cup of coffee.

They just have to follow up the Cinci game with more performances like it. They need to stop talking about it and actually start doing it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

Nobody willing to give up a measly 4th rounder for Hunt. Wow. Good. I am glad he is here!

If it's not Chaos, it's not Cleveland.
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I'm glad he is staying. Many act as if it was the team wanting to move him, I disagree. I think he wants to be the guy, and knows that won't happen here. He is getting older, and a big payday will be hard for him to aquire as basically RB2. His best bet is to ball out for the rest of the season, and hit free agency next year. I think he will get a good contract somewhere. He will never get the Huge payday, he blew that when he had his incident. I kind of feel bad for him, but your reap what you sow.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
If no team is willing to give up a 4th rounder, I highly doubt he’ll be a top targeted FA. I actually think he might stick around now for another 2-3 year deal for maybe $12-14 million

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
He will never get the Huge payday, he blew that when he had his incident. I kind of feel bad for him, but your reap what you sow.

That only applies to some.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
If no team is willing to give up a 4th rounder, I highly doubt he’ll be a top targeted FA. I actually think he might stick around now for another 2-3 year deal for maybe $12-14 million

That is always a possibility.

Hunt kind of screwed us on the trade front with his semi holdout early in camp over dissatisfaction with his pay. It may have scared teams away from giving up any kind of pick. Teams might give up a 6th rounder to more or less get a jump on free agency but a 4th is pretty steep for a guy you might not be able to sign. If you do that, you just put the player and his agent in control of the table.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by Steubenvillian
He will never get the Huge payday, he blew that when he had his incident. I kind of feel bad for him, but your reap what you sow.

That only applies to some.

True. Runningbacks are pretty easy to find. Some may not be as good, but many are good enough.

Everybody wants chunks, but most teams are pretty happy with a guy who can find the hole and give a team 4-5 yards a carry. That is pretty much what running plays are designed to gain. Anything over that is a bonus.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
Legend
V
Chubb did not hold out. He held in. It became a thing for some guys this year. Roquan Smith did it in Chicago and he was just traded to Baltimore the other day. I think Hunt's position is what worked against him. Teams don't typically give up much for RBs.

V
Legend
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
Miami is obviously all in with Tua

2nd String
2nd String
Originally Posted by Ballpeen

That is always a possibility.

Hunt kind of screwed us on the trade front with his semi holdout early in camp over dissatisfaction with his pay. It may have scared teams away from giving up any kind of pick. Teams might give up a 6th rounder to more or less get a jump on free agency but a 4th is pretty steep for a guy you might not be able to sign. If you do that, you just put the player and his agent in control of the table.

The guy was given a chance to revive his career in Cleveland when it looked like it was as good as over. He's also making $6.25 million this year, let's see him try living off my wages. He's getting paid his market value in my opinion. He's free to test the market after this season if he wants, but I doubt he can get much better out there. Splitting reps with Chubb is also allowing him to extend his career longer than if he was the only back.

The Constitution shall never be construe to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. – Samuel Adams
Legend
Legend
Agreed. He’s in a good spot here. Nobody is going to give him more IMO

V
Legend
Legend
V

P
Legend
Legend
P
And if you could do what Hunt does you could try living on his salary.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
That is some amazing stuff, right there.
That blitz busted the play's design. All those yards were gained courtesy of Kareeeeeem.

My...
Look what people can do.

I'm a huge Kareem fan. I love how he plays the game, and I love the energy he he brings when he gets the ball. He's still a threat to take any play to the house if he gets in space, and he's a great compliment/contrast to 24's style. Dude's a Tasmanian Devil, and I love it. He plays with passion, and by instinct. Sometimes, he'll get the yardage the called play was designed to get, and turn it into another 3-4 yards, just on sheer force of will. It makes every play of his force you to hold your breath... cuz you never know what might happen.

Like I said in the thread where SB gif'd Chubb stiff-arming that hapless PIT player, you want people like this on your team.
You want as many people like this on your team as you can get. That's the core of what football is.

The Nick Chubb/Kareem Hunt tandem (behind this Callahan O Line) is the thing that makes the Browns unique in all the 2022 NFL. 24/27 make this O run.

Monday night's game was the perfect example of how this team was built to win games: get the lead, pound & confound. Give your backup QB every advantage with play action, because your backs are such a threat. Take the smart throws/move sticks, take the occasional deep shot when the situation dictates.

Then make them choke on some Chubb/running game in the 4th.

All year long, this formula has been waiting for one thing: a D that can help them get/maintain that lead.
I believe that Mon night's game was an example of how this team was supposed to win games this year.

I'm glad 27 is still here.
I wish we could see a play package that features him. He does so many things so well.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
2 members like this: FATE, Versatile Dog
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
[quote=Clemdawg]
I'm glad 27 is still here.
I wish we could see a play package that features him. He does so many things so well.
[quote]

And you've got a fully capable and deserving player sitting on the pines by the name of D'Ernest Johnson who could be a starter on more than a few other teams. I don't know if there are enough plays to keep them all 'happy'....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL........you're right. Tasmanian Devil is a perfect way to describe how he runs.

Legend
Legend
I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone run more violently than Hunt. Every run seems like it badly hurts haha

L
Legend
Legend
L
Lol, true. Kareem mans up. I’m glad we kept him, never wanted to trade him

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
I actually think he’ll be here next year now too

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns possibly looking to trade Kareem Hunt and Greedy.

Link Copied to Clipboard