Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
P
Legend
Legend
P
Karma is for people. People play football.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
Ok sure no impact.

Baker at quarterback and no receivers. You look at things in a vacuum.

Check the records of teams playing backup quarterbacks or having one play with the stats Baker had last year.

Belichick went from 12-4 in 2019 to 7-9 in 2020. Time to get rid of him.

Quarterback play has nothing to do with a teams record. Got it.

Again, you are missing the point and trying to change the narrative. First, giving Stefanski a pass because of the play of an injured QB who had no receivers, according to your own words, that he and he alone had the decision as to play or not play is an invalid excuse in every way. I am stunned that a person with your football knowledge would make injury excuses for the HC and in the same breath blame the injured QB without viable receivers as the reasons for losing. Second, you have yet to point out a single instance to combat the current senerio that presents itself with Stefanski. The Browns have gone from a 11-5 playoff team in 2020 to 8-9 in 2021 to what would appear to be a 5-to-6-win season in 2022. Your reference to Belechick, 12-4 in 2019 to 7-9 in 2020 is true but you forgot the 3rd year where he was back to 10-7 and a playoff berth in 2021. McVay is in his 6th year with the Rams and he has never had a losing season while going to the playoffs 4 times and winning 1 Super Bowl in the 5 previous years. Your comparison of Stefanski to those 2 guys is such a major stretch it's almost comical. What we are talking about is a HC that is putting together 2 losing seasons in a row with each one being worse than the season before.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
I
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I
Stefanski coaches uninspired and I don't think he has a accurate
Pulse of the team.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually in Belichick's first five seasons as an NFL HC his record looked like this.....

1991 Browns 6-10

1992 Browns 7-9

1993 Browns 7-9

1994 Browns 11-5

1995 Browns 5-11

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
There is really nothing else to say with this. Case or Baker who cares? You don't win games with either.
If you really think injury has no impact on results. You are misinformed.

You have been gunning for Stefanski in every post. OK. So be it.

You started with him when he was with the Vikings.

I disagree with you plain and simple.

Take it any way you choose. This is not a personal attack. I do not believe you view results in context. Yes, Belichick rebounded that is the point. Coaches have bad seasons because of context.

Honestly, your view of Stefanski has no bearing on mine.

Please continue to bash away all you like.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
Stefanski coaches uninspired and I don't think he has a accurate
Pulse of the team.

He does not. He can't motivate. He can't coach beyond the talent level. His teams play flat.

And we have people pining for him.

The worst thing this franchise can do is go into next season with him as coach of Watson. It will set you back another year because you are just delaying the inevitable.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So even though watson will have six games playing for Stefanski this year, rather than wait and see how that looks first you're already making predictions for how it would look next year? You may wish to look at the six game preview first.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't know much but they were better with Rashard Higgins.
so that is one player away.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Well they could have drafted Ryan Tannehill wayy-y back when, when I waz so adamant that they should, and when they traded up, for Trent Richardson.
coulda, woulda, made even more sense than the talk of redrafting and getting Josh Allen.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Assuming (!) that DW quickly plays up to his potential, we 1-2 Safeties, 1-2 DT's and one competent/quality DC....

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
I am more worried about our "Cornerstone" players than the lack of talent at other positions - LT, CB, DE QB. The old saying that you can't have all-Pros at every position thang.

We have a LT who is uninspiring at best. He looks lazy and inconsistent on the field...I'd add disinterested. At best, he's out of position. Team has a big $$$ decision on taking his 5th yr. He is at a Cornerstone position without being a cornerstone player. With no 1st Rd picks for two more drafts we are likely stuck with the guy. If Callahan can't get it out of him, who can?

At CB we have a hundred-million-dollar man of glass. Small...not close to being tough and being paid like one of the best CBs in the league. We are S-T-U-C-K with his contract and his play for at least two more years before we have a cap-chance-in-hell of moving him.

At DE we have the most physically-gifted and yet overrated player in Browns history. He's the "face" of the franchise...yet for every Bengals game we get a few Dolphins games...he's the Browns poster-child for inconsistency when it comes to effectiveness...while being so predictable that the sunrise is his only comparison. Like Ward, we are S-T-U-C-K with him and his contract for years.

At QB we will soon have the most-controversial QB in Browns history - and that is saying one hell of a lot. It will have been 100 weeks since he took a real snap in an NFL game. He will make $230,000,000 over 5 years no matter how he plays or holds up physically...or mentally...let alone behaviorally. The last season he played he went 4-12 on a bad, dysfunctional football team. The pressure and scrutiny will be immense. Hopefully he will be a great player for us.

We don't have the draft capital to fix these spots ^ and the salary cap capital needs to find (2) DTs, (2) LBs, (2) S's. Here are the 2023 draft picks:

Round 2
Round 3 - It is unknown if this pick will be their default draft pick or a compensatory selection.
Round 4
Round 4 - via Minnesota Vikings
Round 5
Round 5 - via Los Angeles Rams
Round 6
Round 7

Free agent starters include:

Clowney
TakTaki
Bryan
Pocic
Conklin

Throw in these guys:

Hunt
D Johnson
Greedy
AJ Green (ERFA)
Dunn (RFA)

I'll leave out these guys, but Berry will probably sign them anyway:

A Walker
Hubbard
D Jones

The ship is rudder-less at all levels but for OL Coach & RB coach. What do you build this team around? Offensively...QB (we hope), RG, LG, (1) WR, TE, C (if we sign him) and ??? defensively. This team and it's leadership are as broken as are my orange-tinted sun glasses.

I hope A.J. Green comes back and D'Ernest Johnson too. And Greedy Williams of course too.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I hope A.J. Green comes back and D'Ernest Johnson too. And Greedy Williams of course too.

I agree on 2 of the 3 players. I think with Greedy we have moved on with the additions of Newsome and Emmerson.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I dont think there’s any way greedy is back

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: AZBrown
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Especially Emmerson. He's playing better than most of our 1st round picks since "99.

T
Legend
Legend
T
How tradeable is Denzell Ward, didn't they sideline him because he was getting targeted so often?
Could you get a Ist round pick for Denzel Ward?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
How tradeable is Denzell Ward, didn't they sideline him because he was getting targeted so often?
Could you get a Ist round pick for Denzel Ward?

Ward isn't going anywhere, I know he gets hurt some, but when healthy he is all pro caliber and our best CB ... JMHO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted by PastorMarc
[

Ward isn't going anywhere, I know he gets hurt some, but when healthy he is all pro caliber and our best CB ... JMHO

You're right, especially with his contract. And maybe he shouldn't anyway, because when healthy, he plays well the majority of the time. The secondary can't afford to lose any talent depth-wise.

Then again, if there's a team desperate for a CB after the draft or during camp and willing to give up something ridiculous (take on the contract plus 3rd round or better draft pick) - who knows? A MLB or DT included?

We need to acquire someone outside of the draft to go alongside JOK and to rebuild the DL.

You're right. Ward isn't going anywhere, nor should he (when thinking about our defense).

Injury prone or not.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
since we are heading into the offseason... we are at least 28 players away that need to be resigned/replaced.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
at the least.

We have 22 players scheduled for Free Agency, and then there are the spots where we need significant upgrades still.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cleveland-browns/

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Resign Dion Jones -Cheaper than his previous contract ...

Resign Anthony Walker team friendly contract ...

Resign Tavon Bryan, De Earnest Johnson, Ethan Pocic, Sione TakiTaki, A.J. Green

Let the others walk, yes including Hunt ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
What about Reggie Ragland? He seemed to play pretty well for us.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 01/11/23 05:01 PM.
1 member likes this: PastorMarc
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Can't imagine we'll keep D'Ernest with Ford on the roster. It'd be nice, but I don't see it.

Maybe there will be a new returner next season to take over for Ford. Grant, if 100 percent after the injury, might be an option. Don't particularly like seeing DPJ back there either.

The unfortunate thing is that D'Ernest might have had some trade value after the 2021 season, but we sort of wasted him this year.

1 member likes this: FATE
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My List (16) to Replace:

Deion Jones
Clowney
Hunt
Brissett
Chris Hubbard
Greedy Williams
Ronnie Harrison
D'Earnest Johnson
Weatherly
Pocic
Jesse James
Pharoah Brown
Ben Stiles
Graham
Odom
Kunaszyk

Keep (4)
Dun
Takitaki
Chase Winovich

On the Fence (3)
AJ Green
Taven Bryan
Anthony Walker

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum How many players away are the Browns away from being a contender?

Link Copied to Clipboard