Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by bonefish
There is always room for improvement.

What is important is having a HC that understands that. That has the ability to look in the mirror and say "how can I improve."

It is relative to keep in mind this is his third year. He was dealt a rough hand.

Last year was a mess at quarterback.

This year the defense has been the main problem. Adjustments have been made. The last two games have shown improvement.

The rest of this season will be interesting.

I like KS's approach. IMO he has the right make up for head coach.

You are not really going to post that Stefanski was dealt a rough hand with a straight face, are you? A mess at QB last year when he was the decision maker each and every week to trot out a QB that was dealing with multiple injuries. The defense this year is the main problem yet he's the HC. I knew the excuses would start flying when the Browns struggled but now the posts are about excuses for Stefanski. There's over 200 million per season invested in the players he's responsible for and having his team ready and prepared to perform on the field resulting in victories. If he's incapable of doing that (currently sporting a 23-20 career record) then the Haslam's need to find somebody who can get the job done.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
R
Legend
Legend
R
You tell em steve!

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
There is currently a Stefanski thread where people can trash the man. However, this is a Browns News and Notes thread. Back to the topic.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

P
Legend
Legend
P
He's smart enough to know you don't give your opposition bulletin board fodder to motivate them. Belichic is the same.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
So the options at quarterback were? What? Let's start the franchise guy from the bench?

Case would have saved the season?

Look around at any team and tell me a head coach who handles both sides of the ball.

Since many head coaches were former coordinators. When they become head coaches do they not handle the side of the ball where they have the most experience?

If that is the case and the side they delegate to has the experience what exactly does the head coach do? If one side continues to fail then usually the coordinator gets replaced. When does that happen? And who fires the guy?

Pick a team. Tell me how that works in each case.

So does the 200 million buy a Super Bowl? I thought that all teams have the same money to work with?

"There is 200 million per season invested in the players he's responsible for and having his team ready and prepared to perform on the field resulting in victories."
What does that mean? $200 million dollars divided by 17 equals $11.76. So, maybe we could just pay that amount each week and bingo. We win.

The Rams are 3-5. Should they fire McVay? How about Tomlin?

Have you ever looked at the records of NFL coaches that have been head coaches for a long time?

Take Andy Reid. Some would say he will go to the Hall. He had a losing seasons of 4-12, 5-11, 6-10.

mmmm.

We ran Belichick out of Cleveland. He did alright with other teams.

So, after going 11-5 in his first season and winning a playoff game on the road against the Steelers. Something we have a habit of doing right?

Then going 8-9 with our franchise quarterbacks in 2021.

And now with nine games left in his third year and starting a career backup. Who is playing the best ball he has ever played under Stefanski.

We should fire Stefanski and run out and hire who?

It is a good thing you are on this Board so you can theorise.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Kiss my azz Vers! I didn't start the talk about Stefanski, it was a response to another's post. If you want to be the board policeman, then lash out your meaningless posts when the infraction occurs - not just when you don't approve of certain individual's opinions like you always do. This board was so much more civilized and entertaining when you were hiding under your rock.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by steve0255
Kiss my azz Vers! I didn't start the talk about Stefanski, it was a response to another's post. If you want to be the board policeman, then lash out your meaningless posts when the infraction occurs - not just when you don't approve of certain individual's opinions like you always do. This board was so much more civilized and entertaining when you were hiding under your rock.

Ignore his trolling Steve, he's nobody important. You do you. He doesn't get that you have that right on the open internet. And keep letting him have it when he puts you on blast. He doesn't like being called out. If you are lucky, he will take his ball and go home.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So the options at quarterback were? What? Let's start the franchise guy from the bench?

Case would have saved the season?

Look around at any team and tell me a head coach who handles both sides of the ball.

Since many head coaches were former coordinators. When they become head coaches do they not handle the side of the ball where they have the most experience?

If that is the case and the side they delegate to has the experience what exactly does the head coach do? If one side continues to fail then usually the coordinator gets replaced. When does that happen? And who fires the guy?

Pick a team. Tell me how that works in each case.

So does the 200 million buy a Super Bowl? I thought that all teams have the same money to work with?

"There is 200 million per season invested in the players he's responsible for and having his team ready and prepared to perform on the field resulting in victories."
What does that mean? $200 million dollars divided by 17 equals $11.76. So, maybe we could just pay that amount each week and bingo. We win.

The Rams are 3-5. Should they fire McVay? How about Tomlin?

Have you ever looked at the records of NFL coaches that have been head coaches for a long time?

Take Andy Reid. Some would say he will go to the Hall. He had a losing seasons of 4-12, 5-11, 6-10.

mmmm.

We ran Belichick out of Cleveland. He did alright with other teams.

So, after going 11-5 in his first season and winning a playoff game on the road against the Steelers. Something we have a habit of doing right?

Then going 8-9 with our franchise quarterbacks in 2021.

And now with nine games left in his third year and starting a career backup. Who is playing the best ball he has ever played under Stefanski.

We should fire Stefanski and run out and hire who?

It is a good thing you are on this Board so you can theorise.

Not trying to have an argument, just stating an opinion or response to your question.

First Andy Reid: I agree he will most likely go to the HOF. However, after 14 years of being the HC in Philadelphia, Reid was fired in 2012. In 2010, the Eagles were 10-6 and made the playoffs losing their only game. In 2011, the Eagles were 8-8. In 2012, the Eagles finished 4-12 and Reid was fired. His 3-year record with a playoff appearance was 22-27 .468. Reid was fired after 14 years in PHI with 9 playoff appearances and 1 NFC Championship. So YES, I did take a look at the NFL record of NFL coaches that had been coaches for a long time. It has been and will always be about winning at the NFL level. Never has been what you've done but what you are doing - win or bust.

Mike Tomlin is in his 16th year in Pittsburgh and has NEVER had a losing season while making 10 playoff appearances and winning 1 Super Bowl. Even with that stellar record, there are still rumblings about Tomlin being on the hot seat this year due to their poor play on the field.

Here's a special for you, Matt Nagy: Nagy was the HC in Chicago for 4-years. During those 4-years, the Bears made 2 playoff appearances in his 4-year tenure and only had 1 losing season. Nagy's career regular season record in Chicago was 34-31 .523 which is just about the same as Stefanski is currently sporting and could be clearly stated that he never had a single QB the caliber of even Brissett. On the surface, everyone here would say that Stefanski is a much better HC than Nagy. Their records tell quite a different story, and he had 2 different young inexperienced QB's he had to train in Fields and Trubisky.

As far as HC's handling both sides of the ball, every one of the HC's handles both sides of the ball except Stefanski apparently. I have never heard of a single HC in the NFL that said or implied that they were not responsible for both sides of the ball and special teams too. They have assistants and coordinators, but the ultimate responsibility lies with the HC - except in Cleveland it would appear. The HC selects his staff, and they all work for him.

Legend
Legend
Yes head coaches bear the responsibility but they do not handle both sides of the ball.

It is not possible in today's game. So coordinators bear the responsibility and pay the price. It happens every year.

Joe Woods came to the team as the DC. He had a decent background. You don't always get the options to hire the very best guys.

Woods has been given a chance. Two years and 8 games. The results have been mixed. Strange but in 2020 he had poor talent and we had a better record.
Last year more investments were made in defense the results were mixed. At times they played well and at other times not so well.

This season most thought going into the third year in the same system with better players. The defense would be the strength of the team.

It did not work out that way. We blew leads in ugly fashion. People were calling for his head. The last two games the defense has improved.

Nine games remain. Woods will be closely evaluated as will Priefer. At the end of this year there maybe changes.

Stefanski has done well with the offense. Statements like "he doesn't prioritize winning are complete bs."

There is no way Stefanski is on even a warm seat.

Next season we will be starting a true franchise playing quarterback. We may have some changes in coaches and or coordinators.

Next year will be a good year to really look at Stefanski. He will have three years under his belt and if he feels a change needs to happen with Woods. Then the guy he picks should be an improvement.

I am not one who believes in churn at head coach unless in a case like Freddie. Where it was clear he was over his head.

Kevin Stefanski IMO has done a good job in his time so far. I understand that new head coaches have a learning curve. And seasons are not always fair.

In addition for most teams (the Brown included) the head coach does not make up the roster. Nor can he control injuries. You can only control what you can.
KS can not make bad DT good. He has to play what he has.

The guys who have lasted as head coaches have all experienced many ups and downs. Owners who understand that and have keep them know the importance of continuity when they know who the man really is.

Last edited by bonefish; 11/10/22 07:25 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
There is currently a Stefanski thread where people can trash the man. However, this is a Browns News and Notes thread. Back to the topic.

The three words after that

are probably like this

"Not for long"

1 member likes this: AZBrown
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Regarding Browns News and Notes and not Personality Place or Stefanski sucks......there is this. BTW.....I have steve on ignore, so I don't know what that was all about.

Browns Injury Report: Cleveland getting healthier as Dolphins near
share tweet email

Cory Kinnan
November 10, 2022 7:20 pm ET

Coming off of the bye week, the Cleveland Browns are getting healthier by the day. Still four out of practice, and only one was not spotted on the field.

Trending in the right direction as we creep closer to Sunday, all of right tackle Jack Conklin, a vastly improved tight end David Njoku, and linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah were on the bikes. Rookie defensive tackle Perrion Winfrey was the only player who was not at practice, missing his second practice in a row with an illness.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/202...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 11/10/22 09:04 PM.
T
Legend
Legend
T
analytics is making the Browns unwatchable.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
the defense was better when J.O.K, and DZ, Ward, had to not play.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think we have a good chance at winning. I respect them but not fearing them. Myles is already in tia’s head. Guaranteed.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by mac
Concerning Cyril Grayson...he's another "track guy" but he has hands and the ability to actually be a deep threat. He did run the 40 in 4.33 at the LSU Pro Day.

Wonder if Schwartz might be a bit worried..?

I'd say Schwantz has been sweating it out for a while now, Garyson or not.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
He would be fine if we could just give him the Clifford Franklin treatment.

[Linked Image from sportsbettingdime.com]

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Legend
Legend
Tillery is probably worth a look

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think we really need him this week. Miami is going to score. We'll need to put points up and sustain drives. Njoku helps w/that.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Browns land 3 on PFF's midseason All-Pro Team

Cory Kinnan
November 11, 2022 9:45 am ET

We are at the midway point of the 2022 season, and publications are beginning to release midseason awards based on performances in the first half of the season. We did it here at Browns Wire, and now PFF has released their midseason All-Pro team as well. And the Cleveland Browns landed three players on their First Team All-Pro squad at this point in the season.

The three players on the list are entirely predictable too as they have been mainstays on the Browns for half of a decade. Let’s take a look at those players, what PFF said about them, and where they stack up against their colleagues around the NFL.

RB Nick Chubb

The best running back on the planet according to Tennessee Titans Derrick Henry, Nick Chubb lands as the First-Team running back on PFF’s list as well. Already at double-digit touchdowns and just 29 yards behind Henry for the league lead in yards, Chubb is going to hit career-high marks across the board.

On pace for new marks in carries, yards, and touchdowns, Chubb has been the catalyst for the Cleveland offense. Do not expect that to slow down as the Browns face a crucial three-game span up next on their schedule. Chubb currently sits with a 91.1 PFF grade.

DE Myles Garrett

Myles Garrett is PFF’s highest-graded player in the entire NFL at this point in the season. And fans of this football team have the audacity week in and week out to question whether or not he is making an impact on the field for the Browns.

In just seven games, Garrett has racked up 7.5 sacks, is back in the race for Defensive Player of the Year, and is single-handily carrying a defensive line otherwise full of tree stumps. He sits with a PFF grade of 94.4 through the midway point of the season.

They will need another excellent showing from Garrett to slow down the potent offense of the Miami Dolphins.

OG Joel Bitonio

Garrett is not the only highest-graded player according to PFF. Guard Joel Bitonio is also PFF’s highest-graded offensive player in the NFL as well, landing him on their First-Team All-Pro list. Tied with long snapper Charley Hughlett for the longest-tenured member of the Browns, Bitonio has been a consistent threat every single year of his NFL career.

This season has been more of the same for Bitonio, grading out with an elite 91.3 grade according to PFF. With Wyatt Teller potentially returning to the field this week, the Browns may get their guard-ians back in full force against the Dolphins this week.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

P
Legend
Legend
P
BTW.....I have steve on ignore, so I don't know what that was all about.

At this point I think you may have more posters on ignore than not. Of course you must list and mention all of them like anyone gives a damn. But then that's probably the best way to avoid the actual issues as to why this team is 3-5. And then you claim it's everyone else who has an agenda.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
R
Legend
Legend
R
Browns land 3 on PFF's midseason All-Pro Team

Cory Kinnan
November 11, 2022 9:45 am ET

We are at the midway point of the 2022 season, and publications are beginning to release midseason awards based on performances in the first half of the season. We did it here at Browns Wire, and now PFF has released their midseason All-Pro team as well. And the Cleveland Browns landed three players on their First Team All-Pro squad at this point in the season.

The three players on the list are entirely predictable too as they have been mainstays on the Browns for half of a decade. Let’s take a look at those players, what PFF said about them, and where they stack up against their colleagues around the NFL.

RB Nick Chubb

The best running back on the planet according to Tennessee Titans Derrick Henry, Nick Chubb lands as the First-Team running back on PFF’s list as well. Already at double-digit touchdowns and just 29 yards behind Henry for the league lead in yards, Chubb is going to hit career-high marks across the board.

On pace for new marks in carries, yards, and touchdowns, Chubb has been the catalyst for the Cleveland offense. Do not expect that to slow down as the Browns face a crucial three-game span up next on their schedule. Chubb currently sits with a 91.1 PFF grade.

DE Myles Garrett

Myles Garrett is PFF’s highest-graded player in the entire NFL at this point in the season. And fans of this football team have the audacity week in and week out to question whether or not he is making an impact on the field for the Browns.

In just seven games, Garrett has racked up 7.5 sacks, is back in the race for Defensive Player of the Year, and is single-handily carrying a defensive line otherwise full of tree stumps. He sits with a PFF grade of 94.4 through the midway point of the season.

They will need another excellent showing from Garrett to slow down the potent offense of the Miami Dolphins.

OG Joel Bitonio

Garrett is not the only highest-graded player according to PFF. Guard Joel Bitonio is also PFF’s highest-graded offensive player in the NFL as well, landing him on their First-Team All-Pro list. Tied with long snapper Charley Hughlett for the longest-tenured member of the Browns, Bitonio has been a consistent threat every single year of his NFL career.

This season has been more of the same for Bitonio, grading out with an elite 91.3 grade according to PFF. With Wyatt Teller potentially returning to the field this week, the Browns may get their guard-ians back in full force against the Dolphins this week.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

All this talent and yet we sit at 3-5.

Legend
Legend
Njoku out

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yes head coaches bear the responsibility but they do not handle both sides of the ball.

It is not possible in today's game. So coordinators bear the responsibility and pay the price. It happens every year.

Joe Woods came to the team as the DC. He had a decent background. You don't always get the options to hire the very best guys.

In addition for most teams (the Brown included) the head coach does not make up the roster. Nor can he control injuries. You can only control what you can.

Nobody said that HC's handle both sides of the ball. What has been said is that Stefanski has the responsibility for both sides of the ball because he is the HC. If the defense isn't performing up to par, then it is Stefanski's job to address that issue, period. Whether that's firing the DC, making asst coaching changes, or getting his hands dirty and getting in there to address what is wrong it is his job. In reality, it doesn't mean a damn thing for the Browns if they have the #1 offense in the league with Stefanski calling the plays if the defense for the team he's the head coach of is ranked 31st and you're losing games. Every game the Browns defense performs poorly is a direct reflection on Stefanski because it's been going on now for 3-years and as the HC of the Cleveland Browns he's done nothing to correct the problem.

As far as the selection process, nobody told Stefanski he had to take Woods as his DC. Stefanski made that decision so again, he's responsible for the performance of Woods in that role. It's an excuse driven conspiracy to attempt to praise Stefanski on what's happening on the offensive side of the ball (which hasn't been great by any means) yet give him a pass on the poor playing defensive side of the ball because Woods is the DC. IMHO, either Stefanski is the HC or he's just a glorified OC posing as a HC. Guess what, he has complete control but has addressed nothing to this point so he's just a glorified OC. If that's the case, then the Browns need to make a change and hire a real HC that will manage all aspects of the team and take responsibility for being the HC.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Njoku and JOK ruled out this week against the Dolphins.

Legend
Legend
You are looking at this entirely the wrong way.

What has happened over KS's time and what actually took place on both sides of the ball.

Try to understand what takes place when a new head coach is hired. What has to happen to put a coaching staff into place.

What takes place on a daily basis and how things are done. What takes place week to week and goes on behind the scenes.

You go off like a car's window wipers after every game. Like after a game it is time to clean house.

It is your humble opinion. It is just wrong.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We'll see..............

Legend
Legend
Here is what we know.

Haslam is the owner and his GM is Berry. To my knowledge, I have not heard a thing that would indicate that they are dissatisfied with KS.

But I don't for sure. Nor, do not claim any inside information. Berry when asked replied they feel the same as when KS was hired.

IMO Haslam has no desire to hire another head coach. Up until KS it has been a disaster and it has reflected poorly on him.

Watson will the starting quarterback in three weeks. He came to Cleveland with Stefanski as the head coach. They went through all of pre-season together.

IMO part of the process involved in getting Watson was to have him coached by Stefanski. It would seem illogical to change anything.

I have no crystal ball. But I do envision a collapse over the next nine games.

So, it makes sense to think that Stefanski will be the head coach next year. Depending on what happens there could be changes with the staff.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Where will the argument be when
ya When Watson plays not great, not pretty good, but very badly.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted by THROW LONG
analytics is making the Browns unwatchable.

I see analytics brought up quite a bit by posters, some favorably and other such as yourself, with obvious disdain. The most I can tell from what I have read concerning the process, it is nothing new. It seems to me, one of the first NFL teams to really use it for scouting and gameplans/play calling were the Cowboys, going back to the 1970s and maybe even the 1960s.

I remember them being one of the first to utilize a computer and some sportswriters and opposing front offices at the time ridiculing them with comments along the lines of "there is no place in football for a computer".

Analytics as I understand it is just a collection of data regarding all aspects of players and game planning. I could be wrong in my perception but the Cowboys and other teams when I was a kid did the same thing but seemed to refer to the data as "tendencies".

B
Legend
Legend
B
Paul Brown in the 50's used data to fuel much of his decision making.

I am sure it happened long before that. I'd bet that people were putting a stopwatch to Red Grange back in the 20's....the 1920's since some around here were probably born in this century.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I need to proof read better. damn

"But I don't know for sure."

"But I do Not envision a collapse."

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Paul Brown in the 50's used data to fuel much of his decision making.

I am sure it happened long before that. I'd bet that people were putting a stopwatch to Red Grange back in the 20's....the 1920's since some around here were probably born in this century.

"Moneyball" and what Billy Beane and Peter Brand did just elevated the use of data to a new level and in new and more granular ways. It's ben done in football for a long time regardless of what people want to call it and it is simply part of the process. Like all things in life - a pretty good rule is "all things in moderation" ... i think when it comes to the Browns and Analytics the concern some have is that some stats are being over valued. Two most obvious examples would be SPARQ scores to value drafted players - we have several examples of 3rd and 4th round picks taken because of their explosive athletic ability but they aren't good at the other parts of what's needed to be a successful football player (Schwartz). Another example - despite posters trying to tell us otherwise - is the continued high frequency of going for it on 4th downs because that's what the analytics says is the "right call" ... in 2020 and 2021 we went for it on 4th downs a lot ... but we were successful less than 42% of the time both years. If the NFL average is (about) 65% - and our team is successful only 42% of the time we shouldn't be going for it so frequently.

Every professional sport team in the world uses analytics and will continue to do so forever.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Good post 88.

Depo was brought to Cleveland because of his background. He has remained on staff and is still influential.

Balance and moderation is important. Bell was kind of a anti-Schwartz pick.

4th downs etc. there is plenty of data on down and distance. My background comes from baseball. So, I am very familiar with how "Moneyball" changed baseball.

At the same time I also believe in "knowledge and experience based intuition. "Commonly called gut feeling."

Momentum is real and it does not have any data frame of reference.

There are probably not many posters who remember Johnny Unitas. Through no fault of your own you missed a great player and football mind.

Unitas called his own game. At times he would call a play knowing the play. Wanting his team to believe in the play when he called it. And then knowing he was going to do something else. Like run the ball himself. He was the ultimate team leader.

He had this sixth sense about momentum and feel for the game. He knew intuitively how to keep a defense off balance.

In baseball it is like a pitcher throwing breaking balls in fastball counts. Disrupt timing.

There is a place for data and analytics. There is also a place for knowledge based intuition.

2 members like this: mgh888, bugs
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Thanks for the memories!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Showed up and was shown out the door.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
We don't need any DTs. rolleyes

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News & Notes cont.

Link Copied to Clipboard