Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by bonefish
I am not going to argue about Stefanski. People can say whatever they feel.

Haslam has proven that hiring a new head coach does not always equal success.

Organizations that back their head coaches look to fix problems rather than recycle head coaches.

The Ravens and Steelers have stayed the course with their head coach. They have fired coordinators both on offense and defense.

You don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

Fixing the problems instead of total replacement can be a better solution. Think about Haslam hiring a new head coach. Please just the thought is repulsive. "Let's look at former head coaches that were fired. No, no let's go look at the hot coordinators with no head coach experience."

Sometimes the green grass on the other side of the fence is an illusion.

Bone,

I enjoy your takes and admire your optimism...so please don't take offense to my response.

I don't think KS is a real head coach...at least from his presence on gameday. His face is stuck in the waffle house menu on offense and he's just another sideline body the rest of the time. No leadership...no fire...no control...no real presence. The comparison to Tomlin and Harbaugh are perfect examples...those two jerks have a sideline presence we've not had (possibly) in my lifetime...and we sure don't have that now. They've been that way long enough for me to conclude that they are those type guys every day of the week all year long...unfortunately....I believe that about KS as well.

The Jets and Giants each found a guy after years of changes and ineptitude. Those guys are winning with trash at QB and rosters that have been pathetic for awhile now. Washington has the most dysfunctional owner in history and are playing with a backup over an injured...well...backup caliber QB...and they just beat the almighty Eagles on Monday night...on the road...and are back to .500 ball and in the wildcard race.

Coaching matters...especially in the NFL...and we don't have a head guy there.

1 member likes this: Tackman
mgh888 #1986367 11/15/22 11:10 AM
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
I feel it is important for the franchise that KS is back next year. but......

I asked this question in another thread.

Will it take DW to prove that KS is a good coach?

Has KS proved to be a good coach thus far in his tenure?

I understand the dynamics of the question as we can turn the question to-is Belichek as successful a coach w/out TB.

IMHO it should not take DW to prove KS a good coach. KS has had almost 3 seasons to show it. What if DW looks bad 5/7 games? Maybe not bad, but not 250mil great.
Does the argument now become DW will do better in a system that lets him dominate the game. Or do we blame rust? That does not bode well for keeping KS.

KS had a great first year. This year he has his team at 3-6 with many more questions than answers.
If KS were a great coach we would be looking to DW to elevate us to championship levels. At 3-6 we are many levels away from a championship. we need DW to lead us to competitiveness before we can think about championships.

I do not agree that the issues on D or ST are not the fault of KS. KS is in charge. KS is responsible especially after watching what happened in Miami. Heads should roll.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Sorry Willie, you don't understand how it works.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
mgh888 #1986370 11/15/22 11:14 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
The Jason Lloyd clip was interesting, 2 years of Barry and stefansky and the haslams are saying they still haven't found a solution for certain. And very telling that he agreed 100% that the guaranteed money was the single biggest reason Watson signed for the Browns. So the hour of watching tape with stefansky really means diddly squat

For the record, that is FALSE. Nothing in that video indicates anything of the sort. I think you "misheard" that. wink

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
I find it interesting when you look around the NFL at head coaches.

How quickly head coaches fall out of favor. Then when the new guy is hired what happens?

Good head coaches are not always going to have good seasons. Most head coaches do not make up rosters.

Most head coaches work one side of the ball. All head coaches have to delegate. Head coaches often can not hire the coordinators or position coaches they would like to because they are often unavailable. Injuries can take a brutal toll on teams.

With all of the things that head coaches have little control of; they are held as the sole reason for failure.

So and so does not have the "it." Please. Define "it." Then jar it so everyone knows it. You could then sell it to NFL owners.

I am sorry but I am not buying that Watson is the man in charge of who is the head coach.

Haslam signs the checks.

B
Legend
Legend
B
[quoteWill it take DW to prove that KS is a good coach?[/quote]

No, he has already proven that in so far as QB can help. He helped Baker and he has made Jacoby look like a fair starter.

I don't ever want to hear people complaining about Haslam blowing things up after reading the fans in here talking about blowing things up.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
mgh888 #1986389 11/15/22 11:43 AM
Legend
Legend
Man, we're going off the rails in here with the Stefanski stuff. I've said myself he has some weaknesses in what I perceive as strong leadership, but c'mon.

Food for thought:

As many have said, your coach doesn't need to be rah-rah, he doesn't need to be 'in your face'. Tom Landry went to 10 NFC Championship Games and 5 Super Bowls; he looked like he was beamed down to the sideline from a bad episode of Twilight Zone.

Stefanski is still learning to lead. He's experiencing his first real stretch of adversity. Do you hire leaders to fire them before you see how they respond to that? Wouldn't make sense, would it?

Stefanski is gifted when it comes to offensive scheme, game management and play-calling.

Stefanski brought out the best in Baker Mayfield who looks sorely incompetent now that he's gone. He's brought out the best in Brissett and has him competing as well as the best in the game. He definitely played a big role in getting Cousins to fire on all cylinders. I'd go ahead and pull out the tacky, cliché, "quarterback whisperer". How in the world would he be not good enough to work with the talent of Deshaun Watson?? You guys have me scratching holes in my head there.

We, as fans, somehow think we know what goes on behind closed doors -- we don't.

We, as fans, somehow think the answer is to fire everyone when things get rough.

We, as fans, better thank our lucky stars that Jimmy Haslam has turned the corner and has quit acting like us!

We knew, from the beginning of this season, there was a good chance the season was lost. Ownership and FO took that gamble to land a fQB. It is what it is. It would be the most foolish thing the Browns have ever done to blow anything up before 2024. Woods is the sacrificial lamb because he has earned it. There will be some personnel changes, but mark my words... we'll have a DC that busts balls and makes players accountable next year. That will be the yin to Stefanski's yang.

Everybody take a deep breath lol.

2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, Hammer
FATE #1986394 11/15/22 11:52 AM
M
mgh888 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I think that's very reasonable and very fair. Most especially about his offense and getting BM and JB playing above themselves.

With that said - we have seen the same issues with KS over 3 years without any signs of improvement. In game tendency to get away from the run. Check. In game - starts off hot with scripted plays, stalls and lacks adjustments after that initial success. Check. A tendancy to always want to outsmart the other team instead of make them stop what we do best. Check. Team coming our flat and unmotivated in key games and after byes. Check.

I think most are saying they have lost some or most of their faith in KS - not that he needs to be fired. There are certainly some who would fire him today if they could - that's a small few. . . . I feel kind of like I did when Derek Anderson was playing well for the Browns, it was fun to watch and sometimes he looked good, but in the pit of my stomach it didn't feel like he was the answer.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
He proved he could coach a team to the playoffs.

You pick Tomlin & McShay who are having similar seasons.
One major difference is that both those coaches have a ring.

KS has one winning season and one playoff win.

Huge difference.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I saw your reply and I agree with your sentiments. Stefanski's fate is tied to how well Watson likes his scheme and how well Watson likes him as a head coach. I'm not saying one way or the other weather Watson will like or hate stiffensky, but I agree that Watson is king in the relationship.

It's pretty much that way with all teams with a QB who is considered top shelf. Coaches don't usually get to where they have that sway until they are more or less legacy in nature, and even then, they don't usually get there until they have had good relationships with their QB's.

And thus far there's nothing on Stefanski's Browns resume to give him that power either.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
In the end, KS is not going to survive Watson...he's just not. KS doesn't have "it" and Watson isn't going to tolerate that. Watson will demand/require a leader and KS is NOT that guy.

You never know. It could be just the opposite. watson may prefer a HC he can influence and manipulate into doing what he wants. He may prefer that to butting heads with a strong leader.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
I saw your reply and I agree with your sentiments. Stefanski's fate is tied to how well Watson likes his scheme and how well Watson likes him as a head coach. I'm not saying one way or the other weather Watson will like or hate stiffensky, but I agree that Watson is king in the relationship.

It's pretty much that way with all teams with a QB who is considered top shelf. Coaches don't usually get to where they have that sway until they are more or less legacy in nature, and even then, they don't usually get there until they have had good relationships with their QB's.

And thus far there's nothing on Stefanski's Browns resume to give him that power either.

I don't think I said he did?

Last edited by Ballpeen; 11/15/22 01:11 PM.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I didn't mean to insinuate that you did say that. I was simply attempting to say that Stefanski had not reached the status you described. Actually I was agreeing with you. When you have an elite QB and a HC without a very successful history and resume the QB holds the cards. Sorry for the miscommunication.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You are welcome to your opinion.

But, I don't believe in presence. Coaches looking at plays when calling plays is what coaches do.

I don't believe throwing stuff and yelling equals results. You have to be yourself. Be that Tony Dungy, Bill Belichick, Tom Landry, Paul Brown, or Vince Lombardi.

What you have to prove over the long haul is that you get the most from your players. Position coaches coach technique.

Coordinators develop schemes and game plans. Head coaches typically coach one side of the ball. They do bear responsibility as the head coach. They have to oversee the entire team.

However, when you are a first time head coach and typically you are hired because someone else failed. Then you are going to a losing team.

You have to assemble a staff. Not all people you may want to hire are available.

Sometimes coordinators are fired by head coaches because the head coach determines a change is necessary.

Stefanski has done more than enough to keep his job. He inherited Baker. Baker had success under him. He got hurt and it was decided he was not the guy to win a championship with. Watson has not played a down under Stefanski.

Joe Woods has been inconsistent just like Baker was inconsistent. IMO you fix the problem.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I will say in support of your post that if some of the best coaches in the NFL had been judged on their first three seasons they never would have been great HC's.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mgh888
Legend
Legend
Precisely Pit.

Legend
Legend
I will say in support of your post that if some of the best coaches in the NFL had been judged on their first three seasons they never would have been great HC's.

Or even their first five seasons...

[Linked Image from 2.bp.blogspot.com]

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

Yes...but compare that to the number of head coaches fired within their first three seasons who never went on to have success anywhere in the NFL as a HC. We alone could fill up the back of a T-shirt with those guys.

FATE #1986454 11/15/22 03:54 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by FATE

Or even their first five seasons...

[Linked Image from 2.bp.blogspot.com]

BB was fired as a HC one time in his career...by the Baltimore Ravens...having never coached a game for them.

Legend
Legend
In all fairness it is a balancing act. Kind of know when to hold them and know when to fold them.

Freddie was pushed into the head coach role because he had success with Baker. He was not a real candidate and he proved that in one year.

In a way we are at the mercy of Haslam. Haslam brought in Depo because he was a smart guy and was highly qualified as a person who understood process. In addition they wanted his expertise in analytics. Haslam was convinced that what happen in baseball could be applied to football. Haslam had experience with Berry. They wanted a guy who could work with Berry. Depo was impressed with Stefanski the first time they looked at him. Berry liked Stefanski.

IMO you can not expect perfection out of the gait. You have to look at all factors and be realistic about facing ups and downs.

I am far away from Berea. Haslam, Depo and Berry are not. They are close to everything that is going on. They interact with KS daily. They work with him both on and off the field. They know the locker room as well.

I could be wrong but my take is they believe in KS. Not just as a guy who can run the offense and call plays but as the head coach.

Obviously this year is not what anyone expected especially on defense. They signed free agents and drafted players for this defense. The scheme and the players including draft picks are not cutting it. Clearly, from blown assignments to not being able to stop the run; the defense has failed.

So, IMO after all you went through to hire KS and seeing first hand the person, the guy who runs the offense and calls plays, and KS as the head coach.

Unless you are aware of all kinds of issues behind the scenes. Why fire him? When you add Haslam as the guy to make the hire. I will take KS over the unknown.

mgh888 #1986510 11/15/22 07:34 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The 1990 Browns won 3 games.

Belichick took over in 1991 in the ensuing seasons the browns won
6, 7, 7, 11 games so steady improvement

In 1995, the last season before the move the browns won 5 games.
They were 4-4 or 4-5 when Modell announced the move mid-season and the team pretty much quit at that point

Stefanski took over a 6 win team.

He won 11 - which I think was contributed to by the covid lockdown. He was able to take advantage of the online stuff much better than the other coaches. Then once the NFL went back to a more traditional training camp...The browns won 8 games last year and are 3-6 so far this season. Looking like a downward trend.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
2 members like this: mgh888, Floquinho
mgh888 #1986512 11/15/22 07:49 PM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Does anyone think Sean Payton would be interested if a change is made? Just for the record, I think KS should get a shot with DW. JMO

Jester #1986531 11/15/22 09:31 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Originally Posted by Jester
The 1990 Browns won 3 games.

Belichick took over in 1991 in the ensuing seasons the browns won
6, 7, 7, 11 games so steady improvement

In 1995, the last season before the move the browns won 5 games.
They were 4-4 or 4-5 when Modell announced the move mid-season and the team pretty much quit at that point

Stefanski took over a 6 win team.

He won 11 - which I think was contributed to by the covid lockdown. He was able to take advantage of the online stuff much better than the other coaches. Then once the NFL went back to a more traditional training camp...The browns won 8 games last year and are 3-6 so far this season. Looking like a downward trend.

Exactly!

Another good indicator is to look at how many Browns players that have improved or regressed performance wise since 2020. If the answer is that more players have regressed instead of having a improving trend then that’s another worrying sign.

How many players do we talk about that have made significant improvements since Stefanski’s first season?

Jester #1986556 11/16/22 08:07 AM
Legend
Legend
There is no way on this earth that covid had anything to do with teams records.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Does anyone think Sean Payton would be interested if a change is made? Just for the record, I think KS should get a shot with DW. JMO

I remember reading where he said he might return but only to a team with a sound front office. I'll leave it at that for now.

FATE #1986575 11/16/22 10:49 AM
Legend
Legend
Good post.

After each week the fans, radio call ins, podcasts, etc. all respond like windshield wipers on high speed.

I agree that Haslam thankfully has grown past that. There is no quick fix, or magic wand to save this season.

Woods has earned the flack. But, him leaving today will accomplish nothing for this season.

"Stefanski is still learning to lead. He's experiencing his first real stretch of adversity. Do you hire leaders to fire them before you see how they respond to that? Wouldn't make sense, would it?"

That has been my contention as well.

The hiring a head coach process is about as risky as draft picks. Hardly a science.

Changes will be made but I highly doubt it will be the head coach.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by WSU Willie

I remember reading where he said he might return but only to a team with a sound front office. I'll leave it at that for now.

I think the Haslams and especially Depo put the Browns squarely on his do not touch list.

If there is even a hint of dysfunction Payton ain't touching it, and let's face it, the Browns are about as dysfunctional as it gets.

P
Legend
Legend
P

You are correct. All 32 teams played under the same guidelines. No team was given an advantage in that situation.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M

The Saints own Payton's contract rights. A team wanting Payton will have trade 1st round picks to the Saints to get him. We do not have any picks to trade. No chance to land Payton if Haslam wanted to go in that direction.

Rishuz #1986640 11/16/22 01:42 PM
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
I think the Haslams and especially Depo put the Browns squarely on his do not touch list.

If there is even a hint of dysfunction Payton ain't touching it, and let's face it, the Browns are about as dysfunctional as it gets.

Does this mean that Sean Peyton's not up to speed on his "guardrails"...

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You are correct. All 32 teams played under the same guidelines. No team was given an advantage in that situation.

Pit, you are correct that all teams had the same guidelines and limitations. But I disagree that it didn't give an advantage to the teams with the more tech savvy coaching staffs. I think guys like stefanski were able to take advantage of this while teams with old school coaches couldn't do what they wanted to do in training camp and weren't able to adjust. Once the training camps returned to normal, the old school guys were able to rev back up and surpass the browns coaching staff.

No way to prove who is right or wrong, this is all completely opinion and speculation. This is my opinion. I recognize that you and Bone disagree and respect your opinions.

Jester #1986676 11/16/22 03:48 PM
Legend
Legend
It maybe true that Stefanski handled it well.

But every team has tech guys in support to develop plans.

I am sure that in the end it had no bearing on records.

Last edited by bonefish; 11/16/22 03:49 PM.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You might be right. I just think stefanski and our staff were much more comfortable with the technology than many other guys and able to take advantage of that. This is both a compliment in that he could do that, and a diss that now he cannot keep up. JMO

Last edited by Jester; 11/16/22 05:16 PM.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
JC...

Football is not baseball..!

Turning your NFL franchise's ' football strategy ' over to a baseball strategist is a losing formula.

Depodesta has benefited greatly from his 'moneyball' experiment but after 6 years of moneyball, Depodesta's record is what it says he is...!

Moneyball is a plan best suited for TANKING...but not for building a franchise into a consistent WINNER..!

Last edited by mac; 11/16/22 05:27 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
mac #1986704 11/16/22 06:21 PM
Legend
Legend
IMO you are reading more into analytics than there really is.

The fact is every NFL team employs analytics.

mgh888 #1986727 11/16/22 08:08 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
I've seen it all. Our team benefited from Covid while having a completely new coaching staff, multiple roster moves, and having to implement new schemes on both offense and defense.

The Alternative Universe is a real place.

R
Legend
Legend
R
I went through the standings today to see how many head coaches I would take Stefanski over. I was only able to get to six names.

Covid, no covid, it don't matter, he is simply one of the worst. He's just plain bad.

I'm not sure if this should make you or I happy though...there was an insider post on the OBR today that said unless the wheels come off Stefanski is safe. So that should make you happy. However, i feel confident the Browns will finish 3-14 so there maybe hope for me yet.

Rishuz #1986752 11/16/22 10:21 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Rishuz
I went through the standings today to see how many head coaches I would take Stefanski over. I was only able to get to six names.

Covid, no covid, it don't matter, he is simply one of the worst. He's just plain bad.

I'm not sure if this should make you or I happy though...there was an insider post on the OBR today that said unless the wheels come off Stefanski is safe. So that should make you happy. However, i feel confident the Browns will finish 3-14 so there maybe hope for me yet.

I'm not so sure he's safe though. Sitting at 3-6 with the hopeful upside that a QB that hasn't played a live game in 2-years the final six games - I see the Browns finishing up at 5-12 for the season with Watson only winning 2 of the final 6 games. If that happens, I believe Stefanski immediately goes on the hot seat. One, he will be sporting a 3-year record with the Browns of 25-27 including the playoff games. Not only will he have a losing record, but the team will have regressed each year. Two, Watson's first game against his old team will be of significant value to the Texans. If the Texans beat the Browns, there is a good chance as things stand that the Texans could be looking at not only the top pick in the draft but the 2nd pick too. Beating the Browns will only enhance the value of that 1st round pick, so I expect them to be highly motivated. Three, Haslam - how comfortable will he be turning over his 230M QB to a HC with a losing record, a team that has steadily regressed each year, and the loss of a top 3 pick in a draft loaded with QB's. I think "pissed" would be an understatement.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
mgh888 #1987000 11/18/22 04:31 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Obviously, I'm not the only one who sees issues with Stefanski. Eight coaches who could be in jeopardy over the next two months article spells it out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...mp;cvid=bab6179027a444be8e0d9487a94871b8

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Legend
Legend
What a distinction right? The only head coach under Haslam to survive four years.

That has worked out really well.

With that type of philosophy if we follow you maybe we will set the record for the number of head coaches a team has ever had.

Let's hire another and make sure we fire him after three years.

Let's see 32 teams. First year Coach of the Year. Best season your quarterback has had. Record 11-6 with a playoff win on the road. Something the Browns are really used to doing.

Second year a damaged bad quarterback and career back-up. Two of your highest paid players your "top receivers" don't play.
You go 7-9.

Third year you give up high draft picks for a franchise quarterback who is suspended for 11 games. Career back-up starts and your record is 3-6.

Oh yes makes perfect sense let's fire him. I am sure we will find the right guy for another three years. Every great candidate will want a shot for a three year job. I can see all the best guys available waiting in line now.

Seems like a great plan. Continuity a-go-go has sure paid off the Browns. Can't wait for the new guy and team rebuild.

Ah! the yellowbrick road to success. Super Bowl her we come.

USA opinion piece guy what great credentials. Maybe Stefanski he "deserves a chance with Watson."

GMAFB.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Kevin Stefanski

Link Copied to Clipboard