Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
PitDAWG #1989423 11/29/22 12:17 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I trust the years of evidence he's already put on tape with Clemson and Houston more than the 5 attempts (2 dropped) in a pre-season game. I expect rust and accept the results that'll bring. It's part of the return process. But, even with rust, I expect he'll soon be an upgrade at the position. He very well might immediately be an upgrade, we just can't predict how much rust there is yet.

Lemmys_Wart #1989426 11/29/22 12:31 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
For 230 million dollars and the tons of baggage that go along with it, he better be.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Lemmys_Wart
Jester #1989430 11/29/22 12:41 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Jester
They do not decide if a player's injury will affect his play.

This is something a few people here fail to grasp.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
leadtheway #1989433 11/29/22 12:48 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by leadtheway
I truly believe the only reason the suspension was 11 games was because of this.. The suspension was always going to be timed with the houston game, if it would have been week 7, then the 6 games would have been kept imo. Just more proof the NFL cares nothing for anything really other than $$

There's no business like show business! And Buzbee loves a good show.

From an article in The Athletic today....

On Sunday, Watson will return to Houston to make his first NFL start since Jan. 3, 2021.

Watson is used to hostile environments and will likely be expecting a less-than-warm welcome from fans from his former team. But he’s never had to play a game in front of his accusers — until now.

Buzbee will be there, “bells and whistles on,” he said, and he’s invited all 25 women he’s represented in cases against Watson.

“I will be there to welcome Deshaun back to Houston,” Buzbee said.

He knows his clients each have their own feelings about going to the game. Several have responded that they aren’t interested in attending. But Buzbee said the women who plan to be there in the suite — around 10 have told him they will come — will send a clear message to Watson:

“You think you put us behind you, but we are still here.”

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Milk Man #1989436 11/29/22 12:55 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
For anyone thinking this is going to go away, think again.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Milk Man #1989441 11/29/22 01:07 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Regarding Watson.......there is no doubt that there are going to be tons of stories about him that have nothing to do w/football. I hope we can continue to keep the off the field crap in the Tailgate forum and post Pure Football takes, tweets, videos, stories in this forum. Mixing both in here will lead to chaos. I believe Ref 3 feels the same way.

Versatile Dog #1989442 11/29/22 01:09 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Here is a football take of what the Browns offense might look like w/Watson. It's from Jake Burns. The article was written in July and some of the videos are missing, but you can click on the link and read all the text and see a couple of graphic aids.

Cleveland Browns Year 3 Offense Evolution: Pistol Formation[/b]

ByJAKE BURNS Jul 12, 12:44 PM

Consistency leads to many great things for an NFL franchise. From the front office to coaching staff down to the roster, the more familiarity those in a franchise have, the better the odds for success become. Now, as we all know, impatience often limits the consistency a franchise needs to find long-term success. The Cleveland Browns have been a beacon of inconsistency largely attributed to impatience over the years -- especially since returning in 1999.

It is rare to see a Browns head coach, play-caller, and coordinators all return for a third year, but that is what we will get in 2022 for the first time since the 1991-1993 teams coached by, you guessed it, Bill Belichick. As well as that little-known defensive coordinator named Nick Saban. If you rewind to those early 90's teams, the success was not nearly as quickly achieved as the regime here under Stefanski. Belichick won just 20 games total in his first three seasons -- Kevin Stefanski has nearly accomplished that in just two.

So, we seek consistency. The Browns seem to have it in place on both sides of the ball right now and while there is never a day promised in the NFL beyond the one you are currently occupying, it is tough to see this group not getting a few more considering the bevy of offseason moves. Chief among them is the move for Deshaun Watson and with the improved quarterback play is likely to come to an evolving scheme from what we know through two years.

Stefanski is a wide zone system coach from the Gary Kubiak tree. They pair that wide zone base with a west coast passing scheme that thrives on play-action pairing to their zone and gap run schemes and sprinkling in some delightful screen game to running backs and tight ends. The system is formulaic at times and relies on the spacing created laterally to unlock the field horizontally. However, with Watson as the new signal-caller in Cleveland, there is a series to be made here on tweaks and changes I think will come with a quarterback skill-set as unique as Waston brings to the franchise.

Let's dig in on the first part of what will look different: pistol formation.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland...-evolution-pistol-189941848/#189941848_1[/quote][/quote]

Ballpeen #1989453 11/29/22 02:28 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Originally Posted by steve0255
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
This is a public service announcement. The medical staff decides whether or not the player is healthy enough to play. They overrule both what the player and coach wants. Sheesh! I thought everyone knew that by now????

Wrong, the medical staff clears the player to play - not to decide whether the player plays. The HC always makes the determination on who actually plays. There are healthy scratches every week in the NFL, last minute decisions on injury recovery, and performance decisions. Let's make this truthful public service announcement, "The HC decides who plays and doesn't play as long as it is not overruling the medical professionals." After a medical clearance there is one and only one decision maker on who plays and that's the HC, PERIOD!

He said healthy enough.

It isn't that hard to understand.

Do you remember when reading comprehension was a thing? ... Yeah, me neither.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
CapCity Dawg #1989455 11/29/22 02:36 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Sometimes it's the lack of comprehension as to what inference means and when it's being used.

#gmstrong
CapCity Dawg #1989463 11/29/22 03:40 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, the Head Coach is HC for as long as the billionaire owner wants him to be. If the billionaire says - a Browns example- play Johnny Manziel, even if he doesn't know the playbook/ might be high....the coach plays Johnny. I believe anyone can quit whenever they want- free country, but "normally" HC plays who he wants/ EXCEPT when the buzzer rings from owner and he/she dictates who plays. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Lemmys_Wart #1989467 11/29/22 03:47 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Not much rust, comments from team players indicate DW has still got IT. Personally, I can't wait to see bootleg roll outs off the stretch plays running Chubb right. DW completely different athlete than JB. Easy throws and runs. I just hope DW remembers how to slide well....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
superbowldogg #1989473 11/29/22 04:30 PM
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yeah i am not holding my breath on the "not much rust" stuff from practice.

He looked off in the preseason game.

I would predict rust for 2-3 games. Anything less would give us a real chance at winning some division games and making it a mess.

superbowldogg #1989522 11/30/22 12:28 AM
Legend
Legend
Here we go! I agree with Vers where he said we'll likely see some of Watson's potential but don't think we open the full play book this year...

I expect him to be rusty and a little off this week being back in Houston... still expect to win (House is terrible).... but would like for these 6 games for him to get his feet under him and build towards next year...

I think we can end the year with 8-9 wins... we'll see...

<><

#gmstrong
Versatile Dog #1989553 11/30/22 11:46 AM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Regarding Watson.......there is no doubt that there are going to be tons of stories about him that have nothing to do w/football. I hope we can continue to keep the off the field crap in the Tailgate forum and post Pure Football takes, tweets, videos, stories in this forum. Mixing both in here will lead to chaos. I believe Ref 3 feels the same way.

rofl

You giving that advice is like Watson himself giving advice about massage therapists.

1 member likes this: OldColdDawg
steve0255 #1989555 11/30/22 12:01 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Are you Vers bodyguard or something?

No. Just pointing out he said what he said and you trying to paint it as something else.

The medical team clears a player from a health standpoint. Only simpletons don't understand that the coach makes the decision on who plays and who doesn't.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this: Hammer
Ballpeen #1989563 11/30/22 01:37 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Only simpletons don't understand that the coach makes the decision on who plays and who doesn't.

So...the people who bash the injured player for being "selfish" and playing the game...when the player probably shouldn't play...are the simpletons?

Ballpeen #1989564 11/30/22 01:39 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

No. Just pointing out he said what he said and you trying to paint it as something else.

The medical team clears a player from a health standpoint. Only simpletons don't understand that the coach makes the decision on who plays and who doesn't.

Just to clear up some grey area here that I believe you may have missed from previous posts. It would appear that it is painting something else except when put in the proper context as posted over these months. The dispute is and always has been that Stefanski was responsible for playing the guy each and every week even though he knew he was injured, affected his play, and not playing well. Stefanski and Stefanski alone should be the decision maker in that process of who takes the field or who doesn't. The counter argument has been and continues to be the medical staff cleared him to play so he plays. The medical staff maintained that playing would not cause any additional damage, so they released him to play. The medical staff however has zero idea whether the injury is going to affect his level of play. What the player says should have zero effect on the decision process if you have been watching the practices and game films. The disagreement was and always has been that Stefanski assumes responsibility for a players continued poor play if he continues to trot them out there week after week knowing they have an injury that is affecting his play. The other side will want you to believe that since the medical staff cleared him and the player wanted to play, all accountability is thus removed from the HC as to his continued poor performance. Simpleton might be a strong word to use but the posts are proof in the pudding.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
PitDAWG #1989586 11/30/22 03:41 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
For anyone thinking this is going to go away, think again.

It's too bad, really.

#gmstrong #gmlapdance
superbowldogg #1989593 11/30/22 05:36 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Once again, more evidence that there are posters here just to fight. This is a freaking Watson thread.

steve0255 #1989601 11/30/22 06:05 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by steve0255

Just to clear up some grey area here that I believe you may have missed from previous posts. It would appear that it is painting something else except when put in the proper context as posted over these months. The dispute is and always has been that Stefanski was responsible for playing the guy each and every week even though he knew he was injured, affected his play, and not playing well. Stefanski and Stefanski alone should be the decision maker in that process of who takes the field or who doesn't. The counter argument has been and continues to be the medical staff cleared him to play so he plays. The medical staff maintained that playing would not cause any additional damage, so they released him to play. The medical staff however has zero idea whether the injury is going to affect his level of play. What the player says should have zero effect on the decision process if you have been watching the practices and game films. The disagreement was and always has been that Stefanski assumes responsibility for a players continued poor play if he continues to trot them out there week after week knowing they have an injury that is affecting his play. The other side will want you to believe that since the medical staff cleared him and the player wanted to play, all accountability is thus removed from the HC as to his continued poor performance. Simpleton might be a strong word to use but the posts are proof in the pudding.

I believe this to be a full and accurate accounting of what is at the root of the discussion.

As for talking about BM on a Watson thread - that happens all the time everywhere. And despite being resident Board Police - said poster is as guilty as any poster of making asinine comments, personal attacks and derailing threads.

Michelle - yes, you are sadly correct. Although, to be fair that's a poor choice of phrase on my part and it shouldn't be considered "sadly". What Watson was accused of and found guilty of is disgusting and shining a light on it so that others who are subjected to sexual abuse and manipulation feel empowered to speak out. It is far more widespread that reported and hopefully that will change over time.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1989649 12/01/22 01:27 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I believe this to be a full and accurate accounting of what is at the root of the discussion.

Full and accurate? It's a bunch of mumbo jumbo.

Accurate is the medical staff clears a player to play. The coach then decides to play that player or not.

Whether the coach should play the player or not is an entirely different matter. One could muddle the conversation further when Baker came out and said that he was the only one who would determine if he played or not, but again, those questions aren't germane to the matter.

If you and others want to talk about if Baker should have played or not, then we can talk about that.

Maybe we should have normal conversations around here rather than acting like this is a congressional hearing. Geesh

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
2 members like this: Rishuz, Versatile Dog
Ballpeen #1989659 12/01/22 08:18 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think Pits post was more about the history of the discussion on this board than the mechanics of what the medical team staff says, does or approve. Take the comment I made in the spirit in which it was intended instead of getting so touchy.

The process is the process. I think everyone agrees. And then the ultimate decision maker once a player is cleared by the medical staff is the HC. That seems pretty clear too, what pit referred to was the fact that some posters still claimed it was not a HC decision, or the HC doesn't own the decision. Edit, or maybe more accurately whether Stefanskii specifically is responsible for trotting out and injured Baker who is clearly impacted by his injury.

Last edited by mgh888; 12/01/22 08:22 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
superbowldogg #1989660 12/01/22 08:22 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
No problem. I am not touchy about it.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
mgh888 #1989664 12/01/22 09:18 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by mgh888
I think Pits post was more about the history of the discussion on this board than the mechanics of what the medical team staff says, does or approve. Take the comment I made in the spirit in which it was intended instead of getting so touchy.

The process is the process. I think everyone agrees. And then the ultimate decision maker once a player is cleared by the medical staff is the HC. That seems pretty clear too, what pit referred to was the fact that some posters still claimed it was not a HC decision, or the HC doesn't own the decision. Edit, or maybe more accurately whether Stefanskii specifically is responsible for trotting out and injured Baker who is clearly impacted by his injury.

Exactly,

The most evasive word in the English language when referring to the Browns HC/FO, accountability. Last year's poor results were because of the QB's poor play. This year it's a porous Woods defense and Priefer's special teams. Question is, who's in line to be the next scapegoat?

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
steve0255 #1989665 12/01/22 09:36 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
JW Johnson.

Tackles are tackles.
MemphisBrownie #1989722 12/01/22 02:37 PM
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
JW Johnson.

Nope. He's inheriting the team.

We think the last twenty years have been bad, just wait.

Versatile Dog #1989742 12/01/22 07:08 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V

Versatile Dog #1989743 12/01/22 07:09 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V

Versatile Dog #1989744 12/01/22 07:10 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V

Versatile Dog #1989822 12/02/22 01:26 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
Browns Mailbag: How will the offense adjust with Deshaun Watson?

Breaking down what changes could be coming to the offense now that Watson is the starting QB
Dec 01, 2022 at 03:59 PM
Employee Headshots on June 24, 2021
Anthony Poisal
Staff Writer

A new era for the Browns began this week with QB Deshaun Watson officially added to the active roster and set to start Sunday in Houston.

We're kicking off this week's Mailbag breaking down one of the biggest questions the Browns face with Watson back, and it's the first of three Qs we're answering as we prepare for a big game against the Texans.

How will the Browns adjust their offense to the addition of Deshaun Watson? - Charlie B., Springfield, Ohio

Kevin Stefanski was asked this exact question Monday, so we'll kick this answer off with what he said:

"'We will see' is probably the short answer. What we will always do is try to maximize the talents of our players, so there are things that you certainly will do with Deshaun. There were things that Jacoby (Brissett) was really good at. We just want to always be thinking about your players and doing what they do best. Ultimately, it's our job to look at our players who we have and what are the things that we want to do to maximize their talents."

Stefanski obviously wasn't going to break down the Xs and Os of what will change in his answer, but we got a decent sense of what the Browns could do with Watson when he worked with the first team for most of training camp and offseason workouts. Watson should help the Browns expand their playbook because of his mobility, which likely means some run-pass option and read option plays, QB rollouts and perhaps some designed QB runs are ahead — basically, any type of play that allows Watson to run with the ball and possibly deceive the defense.

We've known since his first season as the Browns' head coach that Stefanski loves to be creative, and having a shifty QB like Watson should allow him to tap even more into that side of the playbook. The threat of RBs Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt will help the Browns amplify Watson's skills even more and give defenses a very difficult time preparing for them each week.

Stacking "the box," the middle of the level of the defense, with extra players should become less common, which means it'll be harder to stop Chubb and Hunt. When Chubb was asked Wednesday if he thinks Watson's presence will prevent teams from stuffing the box, he replied, "I hope so."

"I guess we won't know until Sunday," he said, "but I guess they'll have to come up with a better plan for whatever we do."

It might not be reasonable to expect the Browns to immediately boast a different-looking offense Sunday in Houston. Remember: Watson hasn't started an NFL game in nearly 700 days, and Stefanski acknowledged Wednesday that "there's plenty of tape out there the Texans already have" on Watson because they're his former team, after all.

Changes, however, will certainly take place with the offense.

"Having him out on the field will bring an element to our offense that is different," Stefanski said, "but how different, I think, remains to be seen."

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-mailbag-how-will-offense-adjust-deshaun-watson

Versatile Dog #1989825 12/02/22 01:41 PM
V
Legend
Legend
V
As a few of us have tried to discuss, we don't know how much better the O will be w/Watson this year due to the rust factor and having to change qbs late in the season. However, I think there should be two noticeable advantages.

1. Teams probably won't be stacking the box like they have for multiple years now. That should open things up a bit for our RBs.

2. Teams will probably be changing their coverages. I don't think we will have to face too much man coverage or even odd-numbered zone coverages such as 3 and 5. My theory is that teams won't want to have their corners trailing our WRs due to Watson's running ability.

I could be wrong, but those are two advantages that I expect to see this year. Next year, it should be a totally different animal when we have time to implement our full offense.

Versatile Dog #1989835 12/02/22 05:06 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I want very few, if any RPO's- he's our 230 million dollar player.....fewest hits the better. I want the bootleg roll outs and handoffs- and throwing the accurate long ball. I hope he's practiced his sliding- get 7 on the roll out then slide or get out of bounds. Go Browns!!! ps not betting in Florida, I'd put a hundred on us beating them by more than 7.....GO Browns!!!!

hitt #1989840 12/02/22 05:38 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
If they can't beat the #32 rated secondary in the NFL.....

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-secondary-rankings-tiers-2022

And the number 30th ranked run defense.....

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/defense/rushing/2022/reg/all

It's not "Houston we have a problem."

At that point it will be "Cleveland we have a problem."

And as funny as it will be, you will hear some claim what a great feat and statement it will make if they actually do win by more than seven points.

#gmstrong
PitDAWG #1989852 12/02/22 07:02 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We are Browns fans. For over the past twenty years, the Browns beating any team by 7+ points is a great feat and statement.

1 member likes this: Clemdawg
PitDAWG #1989976 12/03/22 10:58 PM
J
All Pro
All Pro
J
Some stats
Record against Carolina third string QB 1 win1 loss
Contracts 400 million 4wins.
Has not been a QB in a playoff game sense signing extension
Career verses Lamar 0 wins2 losses
Playoff QB rating 85
Wins playoff in 5years 1
Players signed to Play with leshaun 1 clowney
Defense rating sense leshaun signed 31

superbowldogg #1990034 12/04/22 11:12 AM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
superbowldogg #1990036 12/04/22 11:15 AM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
GratefulDawg #1990052 12/04/22 11:40 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by GratefulDawg

Interesting article, long. Too long to copy and paste but I would recommend the read. I would also recommend skipping to about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
superbowldogg #1990072 12/04/22 12:55 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
superbowldogg #1990600 12/04/22 05:58 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
There must be 230 million reazonz why can't complete a pass loser and
"""""""" rusty """""" look so much alike.

Watson looked putrid today, and they should bench him, until he is ready.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Watson

Link Copied to Clipboard