Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
M
Legend
Legend
M
You're right he's not going to answer the question, but they have to ask the question. It is the 10,000lb elephant in the room. It's a subject that cannot be ignored, especially after the comments from the players.

M
Legend
Legend
M

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Milk Man
You're right he's not going to answer the question, but they have to ask the question. It is the 10,000lb elephant in the room. It's a subject that cannot be ignored, especially after the comments from the players.

Quoted for truth. I find it odd that someone is quicker to blame a reporter for asking this question than the reason why a reporter needs to ask the question.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
There are videos if you want to check out the link.

Who are the top defensive tackles for Browns to target in the 2023 NFL Draft?
Share this article
246 shares
share tweet email

Cory Kinnan
November 17, 2022 4:32 pm ET
The Cleveland Browns are in desperate need of defensive tackle help. They will need to overhaul their defensive tackle room with the real possibility that none of the current bodies return in 2023. This can happen via trade or free agency, but more than likely young guys will be added to the room by way of the 2023 NFL Draft.

Luckily for the Browns, this looks like a deep class of defensive tackles as last year’s crop was not. Who are the best defensive tackles in the 2023 NFL Draft? Here are my top ten guys who look to make the jump to the NFL this Spring.

Jalen Carter, Georgia

This is not a debate. Georgia’s Jalen Carter may have been the best defensive lineman on a unit a year ago that saw two players get drafted in the first round (including Travon Walker going first overall to the Jacksonville Jaguars).

The 6-foot-3 and 300-pound Bulldog is a menace to opposing offensive linemen and may just be the best player in the entire draft class. Unfortunately for the Browns, who do not have a first round draft pick, Carter will be long off the board before the Browns come on the clock around the 40th pick in the draft.

Bryan Bresee, Clemson

Another player likely out of the reach of the Browns is Clemson’s, Bryan Bresee. Contributing on a massive basis since his true freshman year, Bresee has missed time with injuries but is considered a top-15 player in this draft class.

He is long, explosive, and a monster as a pass rusher. Listed at 6-foot-5 and 300 pounds, Bresee racked up four sacks as a true freshman in 2020. This season, Bresee has returned to form after playing just four games a year ago for the Tigers.

Bresee is going to test off the charts at the NFL Scouting Combine and has put himself in a position to fly off the board well before the Browns come on the clock. Barring a trade-up for a defensive tackle into the first round, which is highly unlikely, this list starts at DT3 for the Browns in the 2023 NFL Draft.

Byron Young, Alabama

Put this guy at the top of your Cleveland Browns 2023 NFL Draft wishlist. Alabama’s Byron Young is a riser and is a force along the Crimson Tide defensive front. He can play all the way out to five-tech, has most of his reps inside at three-tech, and wreaks havoc from wherever he is aligned.

Just this past weekend against Ole Miss, Young racked up 11 total tackles, two sacks, two tackles for loss, a pass knocked down at the line of scrimmage, and a forced fumble. The 6-foot-3 and 292-pound defensive tackle is a bull in a china shop.

His hands are incredibly refined, knowing how to construct a pass rush plan, and he possesses a great deal of explosiveness in his lower half. As a run defender, Young has heavy hands and drive to create movement off of the line of scrimmage, and does a great job to keep his frame clear to two-gap at a high level.

Circle, star, highlight, and underline his name. It would be thrilling to see Young in the Brown and Orange next season.

Johnny Newton, Illinois

As a redshirt sophomore, Illinois defensive tackle Johnny Newton may not even declare. However, he is explosive, powerful, and has a red-hot motor that makes him a threat to get to the quarterback every time he lines up between the stripes.

His body type is a bit unusual, as he is a shorter defensive tackle, but this plays to his advantage as his pad level matches his center of gravity. An athletic freak, Newton can track down quarterbacks across formations and shows a great deal of nuance with his hands as well.

Explosive, powerful, and refined, Newton may just be the best-kept secret in this 2023 NFL Draft class. Could he trade in one orange helmet for another? We have to wait and see if he is set to declare or not.

Mazi Smith, Michigan

The athleticism of Mazi Smith has been well-documented, falling as the top player on Bruce Feldman’s Freak List this past offseason.

Feldman found that Smith can bench 325 pounds 22 times (the NFL Scouting Combine uses 225 pounds), can close grip bench press 550 pounds, and has jumped to a massive 44 inches in his vertical jump. While he still has some refining to do on the field, Smith’s athleticism shows up between the lines.

He is a hard man to move off of the ball when taking on doubles, possesses powerful and heavy hands when landing punches on the man across from him, and offers the ability to line up all over the defensive line for the Wolverines.

Smith has already put together solid tape against Penn State and Michigan State, but his biggest test is ahead of him as Michigan gets set to take on Ohio State next week.

Gervon Dexter, Florida

Florida defensive tackle Gervon Dexter is one of the most physically gifted guys in the class. However, there is not much awareness and refinement to play the actual position at this point. He came into the season relying heavily on his explosive traits, and he is doing more of the same in 2022.

Dexter still relies only on his bull rush and a long arm to win as a pass rusher without much understanding of how to counter or replace hands out of his frame. While he has all of the explosiveness in the world, Dexter needs to play with more urgency off of the snap and speed up his first step.

At the end of the day, Dexter is going to test off the charts at the combine, and that will get him drafted high. We are still waiting, however, for him to put it all together.

Siaki Ika, Baylor

Transferring from LSU when Dave Aranda was named head coach in Waco, Texas, Ika has been a mainstay up front. While many have Baylor defensive tackle Siaki Ika higher than I do, the Senior does not move me as much.

He is powerful and strong inside for the Bears, but when he is forced to make a play outside of the phonebooth Ika proves to struggle to get his hands on ball carriers. Ika has room to develop a hotter first step and an ability to execute a pass rush plan with his hands.

For now, Ika has the makings of a player who will have to earn the right to be on the field on third downs at the next level.

Keeanu Benton, Wisconsin

Wisconsin defensive tackle moves extraordinarily well for his size. He can win laterally as well as linearly and possesses long arms that he understands how to use to win the leverage battle.

Playing through a few injuries, Benton’s tape has just not been as good this season as it was in 2021. His pad level has begun creeping up, taking away any leverage he can use with his arm length. It just feels as though Benton disappears in big games.

When he is on and healthy, however, Benton is a force as he can convert speed-to-power at a high level and get his massive levers into the chest of the man across from him to drive them back.

Hopefully, we can get some healthy games for Benton to put on tape as the season comes to an end.

Brandon Dorlus, Oregon

Oregon’s Brandon Dorlus is not the most physical or biggest defensive tackle in the 2023 NFL Draft class, but he is agile and athletic. His 2021 tape is admittedly better than this season’s, and most of that has to do with his usage along the Oregon defensive line.

This season they are asking Dorlus to play more off of the edge, but his skill set is more geared toward the interior. This versatility, however, makes Dorlus a nice piece for a defensive coordinator to move around, but they will get the most out of him from three-tech through five-tech looks defensively.

Colby Wooden, Auburn

A bit of a tweener, Auburn defensive lineman Colby Wooden falls tenth on the list.

With just 32-inch arms, Wooden struggles to win the leverage battle up front. There is not much power in his lower half either, so it is tough sledding for Wooden once he gets into the chest of the man across from him.

The name of the game for Wooden, however, is his alignment versatility. He has played a massive amount of snaps both outside and inside, giving his defensive coordinator a versatile chess piece.

At the end of the day for Wooden, the tools just are not there for him to be a top-shelf 2023 NFL Draft target. He is a bit too small to play inside and not a great athlete to consistently find success outside.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lists/browns-2023-nfl-draft-top-defensive-tackles-11-22/

P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I have read all of the posts about whether to fire Woods, "now or later". I'm not claiming I know what Stefanski should or should not do in this regard but if I had to pick a side I would say now. And here is my thought process on that after reading those posts.

I've seen people claim that we would have more choices at the end of the season. And that would certainly be true IF the Browns were going to try and replace Woods on a permanent basis right now. But that's not the way that works. Any firing that I can recall happening during a season, an interim coach is named to sort of hold down the fort until the end of the season when a permanent coach is hired. So the Browns would have the exact same choices at the end of the season whether they fire Woods now or not.

The next reason I've seen used in regards to waiting is that it would send a message to any potential DC candidate that this team uses knee jerk reactions and that may cause many top candidates to refuse the job. But I think one needs to look at the situation and ask themselves how valid that is? Currently I think the Browns are ranked as the 31st defense in the NFL. That is after ten weeks of play.

At that point I would ask you to consider this. Would any top candidate for DC look at this roster and think he couldn't vastly improve on their performance? Would any top candidate actually believe that it's a knee jerk reaction to fire a DC who has this much talent and has done such a poor job? And lastly would you want this team to hire a new DC that didn't think Woods deserved to be fired based on his job performance and couldn't do a much better job?

So I'm not seeing the downside of him being fired now. On the other hand I'm not sure what would be accomplished by firing him now other than a couple of things. First is that it's becoming painfully obvious that Woods is losing his players. When this sort of thing starts to happen it only gets worse. So the press and the mess is most likely going to fester. Firing Woods now would certainly prevent that situation. And then there's the accountability factor. It would send the strongest message possible that no matter who you are and what level in the pecking order you sit, be it a player or on the coaching staff that you will be held accountable. Something many are questioning in regards to Stefanski at this point in time.

I've never been one that usually supports a coach being fired during the season, but in the case of Woods and the current situation, when weighing all of the factors in play, I support it in this instance.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I’d take a serious look at any DL on the Georgia line. They are a great unit

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Let's give credit when/where it's due....kudos to the defense. Didn't think I'd be saying that this season...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
Yeah they certainly played a nice game today

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
The D saved the O yesterday.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
The D saved the O yesterday.

I think the defense just didn't lose the game for the offense. They played what should be a minimum bar of a game. They did make a couple plays at opportune times, but I expect that out of a defense. No take aways though.

I don't think that performance is anywhere close to saving Woods' job.

2 members like this: jfanent, OldColdDawg
P
Legend
Legend
P
It certainly won't save Woods job IMO.

When your defense holds its opponent to 17 points during regulation and that ends up being a tie, your D saved your O. The Browns O scored a TD with less than five minutes played in the game. That most likely to score drive by the Browns based on scripted plays. They did not score another TD until there was only 32 seconds left in regulation and only one FG in between.

Yes, the D saved the O yesterday. That's not the way it usually goes but it went that way yesterday.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
It certainly won't save Woods job IMO.

When your defense holds its opponent to 17 points during regulation and that ends up being a tie, your D saved your O. The Browns O scored a TD with less than five minutes played in the game. That most likely to score drive by the Browns based on scripted plays. They did not score another TD until there was only 32 seconds left in regulation and only one FG in between.

Yes, the D saved the O yesterday. That's not the way it usually goes but it went that way yesterday.

The defense gave up 17 points to the "5-5 Bucs with a declining Tom Brady". Not sure that is a "saving" situation. They didn't blow it.

And had ST been better we wouldn't have had overtime. York left 3 points on the field.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If the O been even average we would have scored 22 points in that game. Here's a link to teams average scores per game. Middle of the pack is 22 points per game. The Browns are averaging 23.9 points per game. Only four teams are averaging less than 17 points per game. The O under performed and the D saved their asses plain and simple.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Lemmys_Wart
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If the O been even average we would have scored 22 points in that game. Here's a link to teams average scores per game. Middle of the pack is 22 points per game. The Browns are averaging 23.9 points per game. Only four teams are averaging less than 17 points per game. The O under performed and the D saved their asses plain and simple.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/points-per-game

And had special teams not missed a kick we would have scored 20 and not gone to OT. I suppose the defense, who played a competent, "saved" special teams.

No take aways, three sacks. It was a good performance, but it was not lights out, it was not saving. They basically did their jobs. Participation trophies don't make someone a champion.

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
He doesn't even watch the games. He's here to fight, trash the Browns, and fans of the team. He's a freaking troll.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
He doesn't even watch the games. He's here to fight, trash the Browns, and fans of the team. He's a freaking troll.

I watched every down of this game. You're lying again. I had no idea giving the D credit for a win was trashing the team. Only in the world of Vers. You're such a sad little man.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Good Lord man. This O went over 55 minutes in the game without finding the end zone. This isn't complicated.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Good Lord man. This O went over 55 minutes in the game without finding the end zone. This isn't complicated.

So you paid attention to the silly narrative that the announcers harped on.

In 60 minutes of regulation the Browns were able to score exactly as many TDs as the Bucs did. Does it matter if they are 2 minutes, 20 minutes or 55 minutes apart? Not even close.

The defense played a competent game against a "declining Brady" and you want to argue that they saved the offenses butts. Good thing the defense scored to keep up with the Bucs.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FrankZ

I picked up on that too. What a silly bit of info those announcers tried to make an issue out of.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FrankZ

In 60 minutes of regulation the Browns were able to score exactly as many TDs as the Bucs did. Does it matter if they are 2 minutes, 20 minutes or 55 minutes apart? Not even close.

The defense played a competent game against a "declining Brady" and you want to argue that they saved the offenses butts. Good thing the defense scored to keep up with the Bucs.

Yes, the defense is exactly what saved the O's butt. The funny things is you basically said the same thing yourself. It was the D that held the Bucs to 17 points. And people can talk about silly narratives all they like if it makes them feel better that this O looked like crap in the scoring department. I guess when you can't score a TD for almost four complete quarters people have to convince themselves of anything they can grab onto in order to make themselves feel better.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Salvaging the defense: Playing stay or go for every member of Joe Woods' unit

Cory Kinnan
December 13, 2022 9:31 am ET

There is no other way to cut it, the defensive unit of the Cleveland Browns has been putrid in 2022. While their run defense is no longer historically bad, it is still the worst run defense in the NFL, and the Browns have been just average at stopping the pass as well. While they may rank as a middle-of-the-road pass defense, blown coverages have marred a talented group of defensive backs.

This defense, led by Joe Woods, falls 28th in the NFL in EPA per play, 14th against the pass in the same metric, and dead last against the run this season. Outside of Defensive Player of the Year candidate Myles Garrett, this unit does not have a single other high-profile player playing up to their name.

Changes are going to be made this off-season. How much overhaul will this side of the ball see? We play a game of Stay or Go here. Who will be on the roster by the time roster cuts next summer are complete and who will not?

Defensive coordinator Joe Woods is a lame duck for the rest of 2022. Everybody within the building knows it, everybody in the fanbase knows it, and Woods himself probably knows he will be looking for another gig this off-season.
There are plenty of qualified candidates out there to take Woods’ job from former Miami Dolphins’ head coach Brian Flores to Ryan Walters at the college level. There is too much talent and too many players who are locked in for salary cap purposes for this defense to be performing as poorly as they are.

Only four more weeks until changes start to come down.

Defensive Ends

Myles Garrett: Stay
Does this one even need any more detail? He is a Defensive Player of the Year candidate year in and year out who consistently gives you an average of a sack per game.

Jadeveon Clowney: Go
Clowney’s second one-year deal is expiring this offseason, and it would be shocking to see him sign a third one in Cleveland. He is friends with quarterback Deshaun Watson, so that could have some pull for Clowney, but he’s likely out the door.

Alex Wright: Stay
Wright was thrown into the fire as a rookie coming out of a Group of Five program. He did not get any leeway or ramp up to seeing the field due to the injuries of Clowney. Entering year-two, and his first full off-season in an NFL program, Wright may be asked to start opposite Garrett in 2023.

Isaiah Thomas: Stay
Thomas has locked down a rotational spot in the future. For a seventh round pick, Thomas has already out-played his draft slot and will get every chance to hold down that post next season. It’s early, but it looks like the Browns got a good one in Thomas for where he was selected.

Chase Winovich: Go
After swapping Mack Wilson for Winovich, this was a low-risk, no-harm trade made by both the Browns and the Patriots over the summer. Both players will likely hit the open market as neither has proven to be a consistent contributor who demands snaps and a new contract.

Defensive Tackles

Jordan Elliott: Go
It has been three long years of the Elliott experience as he has failed to make a consistent impact for the Cleveland defense. There is a chance the Browns can flip him for a pick this off-season, but more than likely Elliott will enter training camp on the outside of the bubble looking in.

Taven Bryan: Stay on a conditional basis
Proving to be a consistent pocket pusher in the passing game over the past few weeks, Bryan returning on a rotational basis for the Browns may not be the worst idea as they look to overhaul the entire room. He should not see starter reps, but Bryan is proving he can contribute in a specific role.

Perrion Winfrey: Stay
Winfrey is here to stay. He has seen significant snaps over the past three weeks and is starting to leave his mark on the field. After a rough start to his NFL career in Cleveland, Winfrey is beginning to find his footing and make an impact in the defensive trenches for the Browns. He looks like the only piece in the room that is safe to return next season.

Tommy Togiai: Go
Togiai has already lost all of his snaps over the past three weeks to Winfrey and Ben Still. It seems highly unlikely he has a roster spot in 2023 as he has failed to look worthy of a 53-man slot on any of the 32 teams in the league. Togiai has been one of the very worst defensive tackles in all of football this season for the Browns.

Ben Stille: Go
Added off of the Dolphins’ practice squad a few weeks ago, Stille will enter the season as a restricted free agent. This means the Browns have a chance to retain him for cheap. As they overhaul the defensive tackle room, however, Stille is going to have competition for a roster spot next summer.

Linebackers

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah: Stay
This one is a no-brainer. Owusu-Koramoah has been one of the few flashing defenders this season and will be back without a second thought.

Anthony Walker Jr.: Stay
Tearing his quad early in the season, the Browns and Walker Jr. may be in luck by the time the offseason rolls around. Given the timing, Walker Jr. could be ready to roll by training camp. Given the injury to Takitaki and the need for a solid veteran leader amid an offseason of change, bringing Walker Jr. back would do nothing but positive things for this franchise.

Sione Takitaki: Go
This marks three seasons in a row where the Browns have seen a significant contributor suffer a long recovery time injury near the end of the season. First, it was Olivier Vernon and Takk McKinley. Now this year, Sione Takitaki suffered an ACL injury a week ago. The Browns have not re-signed the other two, meaning Takitaki may be on the move as well.

Jacob Phillips: Go
Phillips has battled the injury bug each and every season of his NFL career, and when he was not particularly stellar on the field. The Browns more than likely end the Phillips experiment this offseason.

Reggie Ragland: Go
Sitting in as a stop-gap player after the Browns suffered three season-ending injuries at the position, Ragland is a long shot to make not just the Browns’ roster, but a roster in general.

Tony Fields II: Stay
Fields II has found a role in base packages and has played well when he has seen the field. With two years left on his rookie deal, Fields II has the inside track to a roster spot next year.

Jordan Kunaszyck: Stay
One cannot understate the impact Kunaszyk has had on special teams units. He has even found snaps on defense. As a free agent this summer, Kunaszyk will be cheap to retain, and a cost the Browns should be willing to pay.

Cornerbacks
e)

Denzel Ward: Stay
There is no way out of Ward’s contract one year into his extension. Besides, he played like a top-five cornerback a year ago, so there is hope that a new defensive coordinator and a new scheme can bring Ward, who is just 25 years old, back to his old form (and closer to the line of scrimmage).

Greg Newsome II: Stay
Throw out year two of Newsome’s tape after an All-Rookie season a year ago. Playing predominantly in the slot, the Browns need to get him back on the boundary. This must be a priority of the next defensive coordinator.

Martin Emerson: Stay
The Browns have found a player in third round rookie Martin Emerson. He came in from day one and took all of A.J. Green and Greedy Williams’ snaps and did not look back. He isn’t going anywhere.

A.J. Green: Stay
While Green’s contract is set to expire, he is an exclusive rights free agent, meaning the Browns have the opportunity to retain him for very cheap. They love their depth at defensive back, so expect Green to return next season.

Greedy Williams: Go
Williams is an unrestricted free agent, so it feels unlikely he returns after losing all of his defensive snaps and even being among the healthy scratches this past weekend against the Bengals.

Thomas Graham Jr.: Go
Graham Jr. is also an exclusive rights free agent, so he could return next summer and battle it out in training camp. His roster spot, however, is not solid as he will be a fringe-53 player by the time cutdowns start coming in for the Browns.

Safeties

John Johnson III: Go
Perhaps the biggest disappointment over the past two seasons, John Johnson III has not lived up to the hype of the best safety available that he was two years ago. The Browns can save nearly $10 million by cutting him with a Post-June 1 designation (as they did tight end, Austin Hooper, a year ago), so expect general manager Andrew Berry to do that.

Grant Delpit: Stay
The Browns cannot turn over every starting position, and Delpit has flashed enough to keep his job for one more season. It will be a contract year for Delpit as well, so he will have much to prove for the Browns and himself.

D’Anthony Bell: Stay
There are not three better special teams players on the roster in Cleveland than D’Anthony Bell. He is under contract for two more seasons as well, so do not expect the Browns to move on from cheap and productive players anytime soon.

Ronnie Harrison: Go
It was shocking when he returned on a one-year deal in the first place. Don’t expect that to happen again.

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lis...medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

I don't agree w/all of his takes, but it's a pretty good opinion piece. Thoughts? And can we keep this civil?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Joe Woods and the Unemployment Line.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I would rate bryan more than a conditional stay. He has played well enough to be a contributor in whatever role he plays.

As for college DT's, I would put pass rush at the bottom of the list. Sure, everybody wants that, but what we need most is the guy who can own his 3 yards of dirt against a double team.

We need the "unproductive" guy who clogs up his ground and makes someone else productive.

I'll bet Ray Lewis loved "the Goose".

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 12/14/22 10:05 AM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Our D is not that far from becoming much better. 2 good DT's that can stop the run, a LB and S and that might be all we need. On O we need another WR to complement AC and we should be adding a tackle. We should replace Joe Woods and probably the ST coach. JMO

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 12/14/22 12:03 PM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
This is just my opinion on who should stay or go and I obviously have no say or influence on what the Browns should do, but the following is where I disagree w/Cory Kinnan on.

Sione Takitaki: Go

I think Takitaki played well and our D improved w/him. I would keep him. I might not keep Walker. He's older and I think he is a bit overrated.

Grant Delpit: Stay

This will not happen because he was a high draft choice of Berry's, but I think this guy is awful. He can't cover. He bites on the run way too often and is so slow to react.

Taven Bryan: Stay on a conditional basis

I can see what he is saying about "on a conditional basis," but I think he has been pretty bad. I thought he was a better player than he has shown. I was wrong.

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
P
Legend
Legend
P
I find the D to be quite an enigma. You are correct that the positions you have pointed out need upgraded. But it just seems odd how they played terrible at the beginning of last season then came on to play much better. This season they looked horrible for the fist several games and now look at least respectable. All with the same holes in the D. It' been a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde look that I can't seem to find any reasonable explanation for.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: WSU Willie
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Pit you're right in your assessment and that's the way it's been for 2 years in a row. I think it's coaching, and we can't have a repeat of this next year. If this D played well the first 7 games of the year we would have 3 more wins now and be fighting for the division.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Pit you're right in your assessment and that's the way it's been for 2 years in a row. I think it's coaching, and we can't have a repeat of this next year. If this D played well the first 7 games of the year we would have 3 more wins now and be fighting for the division.

This is a very Browns dilemma...are Ward and Delpit really this bad? Or are they a product of their surroundings and coaching and scheme?

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Willie I've been asking myself the same thing and we really have no way to find out until we get a new DC. Ward has played well in the past though that might be something to go on but Delpit and some of the other guys we don't know.

Last edited by Homewood Dog; 12/14/22 01:05 PM.
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
I think Woods is gone, but I feel that fans put too much focus on the coaching and not enough on the players. I have shown videos of the scheme being fine, but players making mental mistakes or missing tackles. Here is another example. It's kind of hard to see, but watch Delpit on this TD pass from Burrow to Irwin. He standing around the 34 yard line and just outside the hash marks. He comes flying up to stop the run and doesn't offer any deep help to the Emerson. It's beyond terrible. That is something they teach safeties in middle school. That's not poor coaching. That is a bonehead play by Delpit. He makes plays like this over and over and over.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Joe Woods taking his beatings on his way out. Poor guy.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So would you say that man coverage on Chase with both Cincy's second and third WR's out of the game is on the players or the DC?

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
The video of the TD pass I showed was not Man coverage.

I think I have seen posts saying we should play more man coverage and now it is we were playing too much man coverage. It's hard to keep this all straight. I did not have a problem w/either Ward [mostly] or Newsome [occasionally] playing Man coverage on Chase, but we should have rolled our coverage [a safety] towards Chase. If we did not roll our coverage towards him, that would be a bad choice by the coach. I'm not sure that we didn't, but it sounds like JJ is saying we did not, but he seems to pass the buck a lot.

I will say that I saw Burrow throw a dart for a TD to Chase into an unbelievably tight window between Ward and JJ in that game. One of, if not the very best throws I have seen all season long.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
If we did not roll our coverage towards him, that would be a bad choice by the coach. I'm not sure that we didn't, but it sounds like JJ is saying we did not, but he seems to pass the buck a lot.

Wow.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
This is a very Browns dilemma...are Ward and Delpit really this bad? Or are they a product of their surroundings and coaching and scheme?

Man... if I had the answer to this one, I'd be hard at work in 76 Groza, instead of banging out my inanities on a fansite message board-
wink

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by WSU Willie
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog

I was just wondering that as a whole... is the defense bad because of lack of talent in key areas or is it coaching/scheme.....

<><

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

I'm not sure this is something you want to say out loud. "In game adjustments are befuddling!"

V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
What a dumb thing to say.

1 member likes this: CapCity Dawg
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Milk Man
j/c...

I'm not sure this is something you want to say out loud. "In game adjustments are befuddling!"

Lolz.

#FreeBrownsD

Tackles are tackles.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Woods and the Defense

Link Copied to Clipboard