Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1992710 12/12/22 11:06 PM
S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
Since I have lost over 100 pounds over the last 3 years, I started running. I am up to 2 miles, but am just incredibly slow. About a 17 minute per mile pace. I would love to run a 5k this spring. Anyone else a slow runner? An advice for this old one (just turned 68). I'm just so happy I can run at all and it doesn't hurt my knees or anything.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Don't know if I'm a slow runner... ran in college and now just run for emotional relief and exercise... my advice would be take it at the pace you want to, enjoy your runs, try to run on trails more than street (for your joints), and enjoy your runs smile

I have to tell myself that I'm not as young as I once was and force myself to slow down so I can have a more enjoyable run and not burn out as fast....

<><

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
A
Legend
Legend
A
Who cares if you're a 'slow' runner? You're out, doing it.

2 members like this: TTTDawg, PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
Who cares if you're a 'slow' runner? You're out, doing it.

Nailed it.... but, I get it. Everyone wants to go faster.

I'm a "faster" runner, but the same things that hold true for me also hold true for you, and even Meb Keflezighi (American elite marathoner).

but first: If you can do two miles, you CAN do a 5k RIGHT NOW. So, if you think you aren't there, yet, or you're not ready... You Are. Thinking you're not is just something you're telling yourself because you haven't proven it to yourself, yet.

Now, Getting faster:
This will come with consistency and volume, and perhaps some more weight loss (but that isn't necessarily necessary).
You get better and faster at running by running more. It's just that simple.

After every triathlon season, I would take a good amount of time off, and when I did, it invariably turned into a couple of months of being sedentary. During this time, my fitness levels would drop like crazy. When I would come back, I'd be running 12-13 minute miles for an effort level that would normally have me doing sub-8 minute miles when I was in peak shape. Don't get hung up on those paces, but DO pay attention to the difference there.... and the fact that with just 6-10 weeks of consistently getting back at it, I would almost completely reverse that gap. You may never realize that same degree of variance, but you WILL see a significant change with consistency and increased volume. You have to build slowly and give yourself time to adjust, though, especially us older athletes, so we can avoid injury.

If you are currently doing 2 miles twice a week, add a third day. If you're not at twice a week, then add a second day and the following week add the third day.
Spread them out over the week so that you have at least one rest day between each run (e.g. Mon-Wed-Fri). Recovery is SUPER important.... as important as sleep and hydration.
This is your baseline. 2 miles, at an appropriate effort level, three times per week. Literally, just doing this from now until spring will not only have you going faster, but it will guarantee you will be able to do that 5k.

BUT, let's get you a little better prepared:
Give yourself three weeks to get acclimated to going out three days a week, and then push one of those days up to 2.5 or 3 miles. You should prefer 3, but stick to 2.5 if you're not sure you can do that extra half mile.
Give yourself two weeks to get acclimated to that, then push a second day up to 2.5 or 3 miles.
Give yourself two more weeks to get acclimated and push that third day to 3 miles. no option for 2.5 here, jump right to 3... by the time you're bumping this day up, you're ready for it.

Do NOT worry about pace; focus on level of exertion. If you have a way to monitor your heart rate (e.g. a smart watch or some other device) simply wear it during every run and just glance at it occasionally during your run to ensure you are in your Aerobic Zone. You can go a little higher, but not too high and don't let it fall lower than Aerobic at all.

If you do NOT have any sort of heart rate monitor, then you have to learn to rely on Rate of Perceived Exertion. It is far less accurate when you're newer because you won't be as in-tune with your body, but in time you can do just fine with it. The best rule of thumb here is that you should be moving at a "conversational" pace. You should not be breathing so hard that you can't talk. If that means that you move at nothing but a brisk walk for now, then so be it. It will correct itself in time; you need to build your aerobic capacity and that only happens by getting your body to realize that you really mean to do this regularly so that it triggers the adaptations to make it easier on you.

Simply doing this you WILL get faster. At this stage, you are running 8-9 miles per week in your aerobic zone with your long run at 3 miles and you are 7-8 weeks into it.... By nothing more than remaining consistent with this (this means getting out and doing it even when you don't want to or when the weather kinda sucks) and it having a decent volume, your body WILL adapt and you will find in time (around the 6 to 10 week mark is when I've usually begun to really notice it) that you have to move at a faster pace to keep the same heart rate during your runs. And that there's the key.... go by heart rate and NOT pace. Your heart rate does not lie to you, it is the true measure of the work your body is doing; it also will keep you honest and putting out effort on the days you maybe don't really feel like doing it, and it'll keep you from going too hard on the days you feel good, too... and, as you gain fitness you will automagically be moving at a faster pace to maintain the same heart rate.

If you want to add more mileage after this, just follow the pattern above of increasing the distance of a single day, then giving yourself time to adapt. However, for your current goals, you totally wouldn't need to.

The unnecessary note on additional weight loss: carrying excess weight does slow you down. When I was younger, the rule of thumb I was taught was that every extra pound of body weight you are carrying adds 2 seconds per mile to your run pace for the same effort exerted.... what this would translate to here is for the same heart rate, you'd be 20 seconds per mile slower if you put on 10 pounds. The modern rule of thumb appears to be more like 1.4 seconds per mile, but I still lean on the 2 second rule. So, if you still have additional weight you're planning to drop, there is some free speed in there. smile

A Note on treadmills: If you are doing all of your running on a treadmill, as many of us tend to do up north in winter, then if your treadmill supports it, add 0.5 to 1.0 degree of incline to the treadmill. This will offset the help you're getting from the treadmill's motor and it will feel more like running outdoors.... and you'll be better prepared to return to outdoor running when the weather breaks.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

2 members like this: TTTDawg, FATE
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I always enjoy reading your fitness posts PPE. There’s always some great advice/information in them. Your delivery in explaining, always adds some bonus motivation on my “ I’m not feeling it today” workout days.
I appreciate it.

Legend
Legend
I’m big into running. It’s a big hobby, which is weird lol. I haven’t missed a day since 2008. When I was at my peak condition I could do 6 miles in just under 32 minutes. But I’m not there any more lol. A few things I’ve learned in that time:

- Just the discipline to start the habit is huge. It becomes part of your routine and life, which is important
- Footwear is huge. I go through shoes ever 2-3 months and see an insane uptick in ability when they are new.
- If you want to increase speed, try to do some interval stuff. Run hard .25 miles, walk .25 miles, etc. Play around with it until you increase distance and speed.
- Temperature/weather conditions also affect your speed. I’ll run rain, snow, or shine … but temperatures below 40, high winds, etc aren’t ideal.
- Sleep is important obviously. I’ve noticed the best performance I have comes two mornings after a nice sleep.
- Want to have fresh legs? Eat citrus the night before.
- Even with me, there are some days when I am just NOT feeling it. My best advice: push through it by increasing speed and leg drive early on. You’ll get your legs under you.
- Try to cross train with an elliptical, even if it’s 10 minutes afterward (or later that day). That will help I think.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
2 members like this: TTTDawg, ScottPlayersFacemask
Legend
Legend
I could probably do a 3867 day mile. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1 member likes this: TTTDawg
L
Legend
Legend
L
I'm more into bodybuilding more since I've been out. I used to run 2 marathons, sometimes 3 a year while at battalion, but always trained by slow running up big inclines.. Then about 2-3 weeks out I'd do sprint work..Always worked for me..Nowadays i like the 12/3/30 4 times a week.. 12 incline, 3 speed, and 30 minutes.. keeps my heart rate up where i need it and really works well. The key is don't use the handrails. Sometimes I'll go to 15 but 12 more often than not

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
L
Legend
Legend
L
there is not much that I could add, but congrats on the weight loss! Keep it up!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Dawgs4Life
I’m big into running. It’s a big hobby, which is weird lol. I haven’t missed a day since 2008. When I was at my peak condition I could do 6 miles in just under 32 minutes. But I’m not there any more lol. A few things I’ve learned in that time:

- Just the discipline to start the habit is huge. It becomes part of your routine and life, which is important
- Footwear is huge. I go through shoes ever 2-3 months and see an insane uptick in ability when they are new.
- If you want to increase speed, try to do some interval stuff. Run hard .25 miles, walk .25 miles, etc. Play around with it until you increase distance and speed.
- Temperature/weather conditions also affect your speed. I’ll run rain, snow, or shine … but temperatures below 40, high winds, etc aren’t ideal.
- Sleep is important obviously. I’ve noticed the best performance I have comes two mornings after a nice sleep.
- Want to have fresh legs? Eat citrus the night before.
- Even with me, there are some days when I am just NOT feeling it. My best advice: push through it by increasing speed and leg drive early on. You’ll get your legs under you.
- Try to cross train with an elliptical, even if it’s 10 minutes afterward (or later that day). That will help I think.

First off, that's awesome... those sorts of run streaks always amaze me. I have a few friends from the triathlon days that all have similar streaks going and it astounds me.

100% agree on all of this, but I would temper against the idea of intervals or adding intensity early on. I think that adding volume and consistency while keeping the effort steady-state aerobic, especially for a newer runner that is a bit older, is the wiser approach to avoid injury/strains. I'd save adding intervals until she's had at least three to four months of consistent mileage under her belt as by that time the musculature and bones will have begun their adaptation to the new efforts. Greater intensity == greater impacts & stresses and us older folks don't adapt as rapidly as we used to. I did not know that about citrus, though... I'll be adding that to the toolbox!

Side note: a good option for those intervals, instead of distance, is time. 1 minute run, 3 minute walk and repeat for 8-10 intervals. Then, week by week, decrease the walk until you are doing a 1:1 run/walk, then begin increasing the run duration. There's no hurry, so you can make the changes in :15 second or :30 second increments as even making a "big" change like 30 seconds still means that it will be a full month before you reach 1:1. But, you can also change it up... start out by trying to change it by 30 seconds, but if you falter, immediately go to only a 15 second change and finish your intervals at 15 seconds, then adjust from there the following week.

Also, thinking about time has me rethinking some of my recommendations up above:

If you're at a 17 minute mile and you add one full mile, that is a LOT of extra time working to add in a single go. So, once you are doing three days a week at 2 miles each day, when you increase those first two days, I would only jump them to 2.5 miles and shy away from jumping to 3 until you are increasing that third day. For that third day, however, I think that by the time you make that change, you should still be ready to jump to 3 miles as you'll have had a month of running at 2.5 miles at a time, so it won't actually be that big of a jump as far as your body is concerned.

Browns is the Browns

S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
Thank you so much for all of your amazing responses! PPE and Dawg4Life - you have given me so much to think about. I also swim, do water aerobics 2x weekly, and of course roller skate. Thanks so much again, wow! I'm thinking of gradually increasing distance by about .25 miles every 2 weeks or so. Maybe a bit faster depending how I feel.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
With my neuropathy I can't run. But I can walk really slow lol

Last edited by GMdawg; 12/14/22 08:53 AM.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend
Good stuff! Swimming is awesome for you as well. That’s a good option

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by GMdawg
With my neuropathy I can't run. But I can walk really slow lol

Bet I can walk slower than you can. rofl crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
Legend
We need to schedule a 100 yard dash when we have a free week to finish it.

1 member likes this: TTTDawg
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by GMdawg
We need to schedule a 100 yard dash when we have a free week to finish it.

A week? You win. I can't beat that short time. crazy rofl

1 member likes this: GMdawg
S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
managed to do 2.5 miles yesterday at my snails pace, new distance record for me. Getting closer to 5k.

GMDawg - walking is also wonderful for you. glad you are doing it. And with my 16:44 minute mile for "running" probably most of you can walk faster than I run.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
One thing I have never been able to do is run. tsktsk

Although it has subsided quite a bit, I've had bronchial asthma since birth(1957). It's worse in the colder months as opposed to the summer months, but certainly running in the summer months is not doable as well.

I've carried an "Albuterol Sulfate HFA Aerosol Inhaler" and/or earlier "like products" in my pocket since I can remember. An asthma attack and/or asthma in general feels like you have "rubber bands" banded around your lungs.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

Legend
Legend
I use to run 5 miles a day three days a week. Man I miss it frown

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by sk8termom
managed to do 2.5 miles yesterday at my snails pace, new distance record for me. Getting closer to 5k.

GMDawg - walking is also wonderful for you. glad you are doing it. And with my 16:44 minute mile for "running" probably most of you can walk faster than I run.

If your heart rate is getting elevated, then your pace is the right pace for you... that's the ONLY thing that matters smile

If bumping up to 2.5 didn't feel bad (woohoo!), then you're ready for your 5k right now. You literally just felt what the remaining 0.6 miles will feel like, so if that wasn't bad, then all you have to do is just keep it going for another 8-10 minutes.

Still, there's no rush. Give yourself time to acclimate to doing things at the new distance; let the legs get accustomed to going for the additional 8-10 minutes. You're simply getting stronger and more fit. Most importantly, make sure you're taking care of your body and self at all other times, too. The magic doesn't happen out there on that run. That run is nothing but a stimulus for change. The change occurs when your body is resting and recovering. When your body is well supplied with nutrition and is getting rest to repair itself is when those adaptations to training stimuli kick in. It's where your body slowly begins to make changes to get better and more efficient at the new things you are regularly asking of it.... so, eat well, sleep well, hydrate well, and learn to take care of any sore muscles (stretching, yoga, foam rolling, whatever you enjoy, etc) smile

Browns is the Browns

F
Legend
Legend
F
I quit running do to back issues, the impact was too much. But I try to walk a few times a weeks around the neighborhood or 3-4 miles. Tall with long legs so my normal pace is pretty brisk, and when I do these walks I'm probably a little faster than my leisure pace.

There is an older gentleman in my neighborhood I see run a lot. If not for the posture and limb motion, you'd never think he was running, his pace running is slower than my pace walking. I have caught up to him a few times. But damn, to be in his late 80's and still getting out there, kudo's to him.

And kudo's to you for getting out there, no matter your pace, the effort alone will provide many benefits.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
T
Legend
Legend
T
If the distance is long enough it may be better to walk fast and not run at all I say. Plus it's easier on your knees and legs and feet to fast walk.
What did Dennis Leary say about Joggers.
Give me a 6 mile walk over a 2 mile run, better all around I think.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
If God had wanted me to run... He wouldn't have had so many people, make so many things, with so many wheels

Man is the worst running animal on earth, AND, we ride other animals like Camels, Mules, Elephants and of course, the dogsled

It could be argued that Man was better built for tap dancing than distance running. Ergonomicaly I think. ski's?
boats, sailboats go back thousands of years, even rowboats and canoes
Funny
Is there a worse way for a man to travel a long distance than running? On his/or her body?

Yeah, yeah, it raises the heart rate, .. cardio, .. whatever. but in reality,
we are almost as bad at running as we are at flying.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/o...s-despite-chain-smoking-entire-race.html

There once was a one K run with a smoke break in the middle, as a joke,

Now, while looking for that I ran across this story of a Chinese runner who
runs marathons including one in 3:28 three hours twenty eight

While Chain Smoking the entire time running the marathon.

OH, the Chinese are just showing off now.

edit: I couldn't do a marathon in 3:28 if someone were injecting me with speed, cocaine take your pick, the whole way. rofl

Last edited by THROW LONG; 12/19/22 10:59 PM.

Legend
Legend
I am a slow runner; always have been. During football, my wind sprints and 40's were, this is honest, timed with a calendar. We used to do distance and a half sets: 220 was 330, walk the curve & repeat. Stamina. The weight guys also ran (not making it up!) fartlek training, which means something like "speed play" to train easier. Picked an outdoor course like CC, uphill and down, flat, rough and 'run' a set rotation of speeds like walk, jog, half speed, full run, and sprint. Assign set times for each exercise, in new random order each time. Ideally the speed and effort will rotate through the course and vary the type of running on the type of course grade and surface. Running downhill, sprinting up hill AND later downhill and so on for various intervals and distances. For extra training and off lifting days, it helped me run more and more often. It wasn't as boring.
We like what we are good at; I was lousy at running, ergo. . . . But I am VERY proud of you, Mom! Do what you can as long as you can. Let us know!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
New running record for me - but I'm really tired now. Probably did too much.
Dec 31 3.1 miles (just about 5k)
2 miles 33 minutes. 3 miles 50 minutes 3.1 miles 51.9 minutes

Happy and healthy 2023 to all!

#gmstrong
3 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, PrplPplEater, Pdawg
Legend
Legend
I just finisghed up "official" physical therapy on my left knee, and I walked through Wal-Mart without wanting to cut my leg off. laugh

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Good for you !!

Proud of you !!

S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted by DeisleDawg

Good for you !!

Proud of you !!

Thanks so much!

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: DeisleDawg
Legend
Legend

I love seeing things like this.
Nice work! Congratulations on hitting that milestone!!

I'm betting some food, hydration, and maybe a short nap and you were feeling good again smile

now, just wait until you figure out just how close to doing a 5-miler you really are wink

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Way to go! Keep it up

B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
I am another person you can time with a calendar. For sprints you can use a sundial. I am tall, 6’8” and running is very hard on the knees for tall people. I will stick to trying to walk more.

1 member likes this: THROW LONG
S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
Bird - I think I could be timed with a sundial too!
Dawgs4Life - thank you!
PrplPplEater - 5 miles????? yikes. You are right, some hydration really helped.

Happy 2023 everyone!

#gmstrong
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Running is a great habit. I used to run a lot more than I do now. Running outside is much better for you than running on an indoor track or treadmill in my opinion. Indoor running causes shin splints and can set you back a week or so. Back when I was in the USMC, we had to run 3 miles as part of our annual fitness test. I can’t remember what the time limit was but I remember that 18 minutes was a perfect score (6 minutes per mile). - Some of the guys could do it in under 18 minutes- looked like a max sprint from start to finish. I was more in the 21-22 minute range. So yes, I’m a bit of a slow runner. I haven’t had a jog in years, but one of my newer hobbies is to walk in the local parks. It’s great for dealing with anxiety and a great use of time.
There’s a store near Cleveland called “Vertical Runner” - might be a great place for you to check out.

Legend
Legend
PrplPplEater - 5 miles????? yikes. You are right, some hydration really helped.

Definitely!

Look how close you are to 4 miles, already. When you started this thread, you were only at two miles and you're already at 3.1, now. It's less than that to jump to four miles and then it's just another mile to get to five.

Of course, I wouldn't push to that until you're doing that 3.1 regularly at least twice a week, but the point is, you CAN be there quite easily by St. Patrick's Day smile

Nothing to it but to Do It.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Good point Prp … it’s funny how quickly your body can adapt to a routine and/or stay stagnant

P
Legend
Legend
P
I went to a very small school. They did almost anything they could to get athletes with any actual ability to play multiple sports. So it became very normal for me to gain weight and muscle for one sport only to have to turn around and lose weight for another sport while still trying to retain most of the muscle. That's what the transition from football season to basketball was like. You are most certainly correct that the human body can be trained to transition and adapt.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
You are most certainly correct that the human body can be trained to transition and adapt.

That's all the Human Body does. It adapts to what you regularly ask of it.

For nearly everyone out there, what is between their ears limits them FAR MORE than their body does (people with injuries and seriously medical limitations aside).

Browns is the Browns

S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
another 5k slow run today - not as tired as last time either. Thanks so much for your advice and encouragement!

#gmstrong
2 members like this: PrplPplEater, GMdawg
T
Legend
Legend
T
When One walks, free from distraction, I would ask
Is Kevin Hart a genuine person? Nobody else will act like that, did they create him like a character, secretly, to influence the behavior of the multitudes.

Nah, actually what I do is, I chant the halls of monetzuma lyrics under my breath, and put extra effort during an elongated pronunciation of the vowel sounds for the u in Uma, and the a in bAttles. It helps me increase my time, or decrease it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Anyone here a slow runner?

Link Copied to Clipboard