Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
So.. I'm wearing down with age. Tuesday I'm scheduled to do what the Doc is saying is "Repair hernia inguinal bilateral robotic XI" in plain English I think this means hernia surgery on 3 different abdominal / groin hernia's that I've managed to collect over my years. Apparently this will be done robotically thru 3 holes.. left side, right side, and thru belly button.. otherwise known as "laparoscopic surgery"

I guess my question is.. Izzit gonna hurt? Anyone had this before? Whats the recovery like?

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Depends on just how bad they are.

I had a "belly button" one done yeard ago, and other than the fact that they almost killed me with the anesthesia, (I am allergic to the stuff they used, and didn't know kt) it was easy.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I've had 4 hernia repairs in the last 22 years, all by the same surgeon. The first was "open" (left inguinal), the second was laparoscopic (double inguinal), the third was umbilical repair and the fourth was "open" (double inguinal again). By far the most painful was the fourth. They sent me home with a week's worth of dilaudid and it took about two weeks to feel normal again. But then, I don't have a particularly high tolerance for physical pain.

The umbilical was easy.

The double laparoscopic was by far the easiest of the inguinal. Sore for about a week, didn't really need meds after about 4 days. Like you said, they do it through three points on the abdomen but don't cut you open with the scalpel - that tends to cause the most pain. The'll use a tiny camera attached to the abdominal tripod thing and fix you right up in about 45 minutes. They sent me home about 2 hours after that surgery.

As an aside, the double open one a few years ago was hopefully my last. The dilaudid drove me about half nuts at home- I woke up at one point and found myself watching a "Jersey Shore" marathon. And liking it.

Laparoscopy is not a big deal, it's the way to go. You'll be up and around in a few days. Cheers.

1 member likes this: SaintDawg
Legend
Legend
I had a Incisional Hernia repaired with Mesh. Had it done outpatient at the Cleveland Clinic. No problems. Was sore for about a week, but was riding my motorcyle 5 days after the surgery.

Last edited by GMdawg; 12/30/22 08:21 AM.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I worked in retail(supermarket) for 45 years. Unloading semis, etc,, etc. Nothing but lifting. 18-20 pallets/skids per delivery.....5 days a week.

Ended up with a hernia on the left side, hence the mesh.

Been a while but as I recall, it was then (blood tests, etc) that they they found I had prostate cancer. That was removed shortly after the discovery.

I still have a constant dull ache from the mesh. The ache, on a scale of 1-10 is about a constant 3.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
They've had to replace /reinforce the mesh on both of my inguinal sides twice.

Years later I still get the aches, the occasional sharp pain in both areas and a lingering tingling down the right inner thigh. Goes with the territory I think.

B
Legend
Legend
B
So, any updates?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
All done.. surg on Tuesday the 20th back at work Tuesday the 27th. the first 2 days were kinda challenging to get up and down, in and out of bed etc.. by Friday / Saturday that got a lot easier.

SaintDawg™

6 members like this: archbolddawg, Clemdawg, Ballpeen
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good to hear all went well !

Legend
Legend
Glad you're doing OK.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Oh and Saint my good friend !

The thread title

I thought , how in the heck did you herniate your brain !?

LOL smile

V
Legend
Legend
V
LOL

V
Legend
Legend
V
Glad to hear you are okay, Saint!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Great to hear.

What is the pain and/or soreness level at now?

My initial pain after surg dwindled down to a constant ache and/or a dull soreness.

On a 1-10 ache/soreness scale I'm at a "constant 3". Never any sharp-sharp pain.
I
Keep us posted. thumbsup

Last edited by TTTDawg; 12/29/22 07:57 PM.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
I'm glad you are doing well. Happy and Healthy 2023!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by SaintDawg
So.. I'm wearing down with age. Tuesday I'm scheduled to do what the Doc is saying is "Repair hernia inguinal bilateral robotic XI" in plain English I think this means hernia surgery on 3 different abdominal / groin hernia's that I've managed to collect over my years. Apparently this will be done robotically thru 3 holes.. left side, right side, and thru belly button.. otherwise known as "laparoscopic surgery"

I guess my question is.. Izzit gonna hurt? Anyone had this before? Whats the recovery like?

I had three hernias repaired just a few months back.

The surgery was actually done on an outpatient basis. In and out the same day. One on the left side of my abdomen, one on the right and one around my belly button.

Recovery is hard for the first 3 or 4 days,, then it eases. Toughest part for me was getting out of bed or out of a chair. I always needed help. Thank goodness for wifey.

The pain was intense at first. But good meds helped.

After the healing, i noticed a twinge of pain now and then. But no biggie.

One piece of advice I received was to make sure your doctor had done this a bunch of times, mine has performed thousands of such procedures. By the way, mine was done at the Cleveland Clinic and Hillcrest in Mayfield, Oh.

Dr. O'brian did the work. Excellent team...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
A constant 3 sounds about right.. lots of moving around trying to get comfortable... I'm okay and thanks dawgs for the well wishes.

And mom.. Go Browns.

SaintDawg™

1 member likes this: mac
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Hernia's on my miiiinndd...

Link Copied to Clipboard