Next Thread
Print Thread
#1994521 12/22/22 11:53 AM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
NFL, Google announce agreement to distribute NFL Sunday Ticket on YouTube TV, Primetime Channels
Published: Dec 22, 2022 at 09:19 AM

NFL Sunday Ticket will be exclusively on YouTube TV, YouTube Primetime Channels starting in 2023

The National Football League today announced a multi-year agreement with Google granting YouTube TV and YouTube Primetime Channels the right to exclusively distribute NFL Sunday Ticket to consumers in the United States starting with the 2023 NFL season. This strategic partnership will provide fans greater access to NFL Sunday Ticket while tapping into the best of YouTube's technology and product innovation.

"We're excited to bring NFL Sunday Ticket to YouTube TV and YouTube Primetime Channels and usher in a new era of how fans across the United States watch and follow the NFL," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said. "For a number of years we have been focused on increased digital distribution of our games and this partnership is yet another example of us looking towards the future and building the next generation of NFL fans."

"YouTube has long been a home for football fans, whether they're streaming live games, keeping up with their home team, or watching the best plays in highlights," said Susan Wojcicki, CEO of YouTube. "Through this expanded partnership with the NFL, viewers will now also be able to experience the game they love in compelling and innovative ways through YouTube TV or YouTube Primetime Channels. We're excited to continue our work with the NFL to make YouTube a great place for sports lovers everywhere."

Starting next season, NFL Sunday Ticket will be available on two of YouTube's growing subscription businesses as an add-on package on YouTube TV and standalone a-la-carte on YouTube Primetime Channels.

Consisting of all out-of-market Sunday regular-season NFL games (based on viewer's location) broadcast on FOX and CBS, NFL Sunday Ticket allows fans in the United States the ability to follow all their favorite teams and players no matter where they live. Updated NFL Sunday Ticket product features and functionality will be announced ahead of the 2023 NFL season.

NFL Sunday Ticket launched in 1994 and has been distributed on DirecTV's satellite service since its inception. The NFL and YouTube will work together to determine additional ways to support distribution of NFL Sunday Ticket in commercial establishments such as bars and restaurants.

The NFL and Google have been partners since the League first launched its official NFL channel on YouTube in 2015. Since then, the NFL YouTube channel has grown to more than 10 million subscribers who enjoy clips, highlights, game-day compilations and exclusive original content series like NFL Follies and NFL Films' two-time Emmy winning flagship series Gameday All-Access, a mic'd up players show bringing fans inside the huddle and on the sidelines for exclusive access during the game.

Since 2015, the NFL's presence on YouTube has increased to include channels for all 32 NFL clubs, as well as ten official League channels including NFL Films, NFL Network, and the NFL's Hispanic channel, Mundo NFL. Since the start of the NFL/YouTube partnership, NFL content on YouTube has generated billions of views.

In 2020, the NFL expanded its partnership with a carriage agreement to bring NFL Network and NFL RedZone to YouTube TV subscribers. Under the expanded relationship, the carriage agreement has been extended.

YouTube remains an important outlet for NFL fans globally to access NFL content, and this new agreement will see a broader commitment to work together to engage with the NFL's international fanbase. This will include increased content on the NFL channel, the creation of a NFL International show available on the YouTube platform, and the creation of a creator content program for select top YouTube creators globally.

"As the ways fans enjoy NFL football evolve in a changing media landscape, partnerships with innovators like YouTube will ensure that more games are available to more fans, said Robert Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots and chairman of the NFL's Media Committee. "This partnership will grow our game for future generations and allow them to follow their favorite sport."

Additionally, as part of the agreement, YouTube and the NFL will facilitate exclusive access to official content and attendance opportunities for select YouTube Creators at key NFL tentpole events. YouTube is now also the presenting sponsor of both Back Together Saturday as well as NFL Kickoff Weekend. Back Together Saturday is the League's official start to training camp when all 32 NFL clubs hold practices with club-led fan events. YouTube's presenting sponsorship of NFL Kickoff Weekend marks the first time a League partner will have a presence from the kickoff of the season on Thursday night through the weekend games and Monday night, driving excitement for the start of the season.

YouTube TV is a subscription streaming service that lets viewers watch live and on-demand TV from over 100 channels through a simple and award-winning experience. Viewers have access to local and national live sports, breaking news, shows, movies, and more, and can tune in on any screen (phone, tablet, TV, computer). With over 5 million subscribers and trialers, YouTube TV offers features such as unlimited cloud DVR storage space, the ability to view key sports plays, hide spoilers, and check out real-time stats.

YouTube Primetime Channels is a new way for users to subscribe and watch content from their favorite streaming services right on the YouTube app. With over 30 channels, users can browse, sign up for, and watch their favorite shows, movies, sports, and more. With so many streaming options today, Primetime Channels makes it easier for viewers to watch their content in one place without having to jump from app to app, while also managing their subscriptions all in one place.

The NFL is the most popular live television content in all of sports and entertainment. Over the last five years, 49 of the top 50 and 92 of the top 100 most-watched programs on U.S. television have been NFL games.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-google-nfl-sunday-ticket-youtube-tv-youtube-primetime-channels

Legend
Legend
RIP satellite and cable TV. Your era has come to an end.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #1994526 12/22/22 12:31 PM
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Agreed.

I was hoping either Amazon or Apple would be the choice. Not sure about YouTube. Does this mean there will be a 45 second delay on all the games we watch on the Ticket? Also, are we going to be subjected to buffering, freezes, etc?

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
So will I have to subscribe to YouTube tv? Or will I just be able to purchase the Ticket? YouTube tv costs $65 (next year likely more) a month and I don’t need it or want it.

[Linked Image]
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V
Originally Posted by PortlandDawg
So will I have to subscribe to YouTube tv? Or will I just be able to purchase the Ticket? YouTube tv costs $65 (next year likely more) a month and I don’t need it or want it.

Hasn't been announced yet. Also, take note of this:

"We're excited to bring NFL Sunday Ticket to YouTube TV and YouTube Primetime Channels

I have a feeling this is going to cost much more than it would have on Amazon or Apple. I can't verify this, but I read that Amazon wanted to offer it free to their Prime subscribers, but that would have hurt the major networks like Fox, CBS, etc and the NFL wasn't willing to do that.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think youtube does streaming better than most.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend

Yep. Youtube TV is expensive and takes away a chunk of the savings for cutting the cord. You'll also have to add on the premium for the Ticket.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I was really hoping it would go to Amazon Prime, but at least we have an answer.

I'll have to start working it out after the season on how I want to approach it all.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I tried Youtube TV temporarily with a free promotion but wasn't crazy about the format. I'm sure some will feel differently. I have the feeling that yes you will have to subscribe to Youtube TV and then add The NFL Sunday Ticket as a premium add on.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
V

Here is more information on the topic. I'll just paste the relevant text that affects Joe Fan. I'll provide the link for anyone who wants to read the propaganda parts of the article.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35304457/nfl-sunday-ticket-headed-youtube-2023-season

Starting next season, "Sunday Ticket" will be available as an add-on package on YouTube TV and standalone à la carte on YouTube Primetime Channels.

Even with "Sunday Ticket" moving to YouTube, the price is not expected to substantially decrease due to contracts with CBS and Fox, which carry the Sunday afternoon games.

Viewers pay around $300-400 a season for the package, which averages 2 million subscribers.

I also found this interesting. I don't think bars and restaurants have a strong enough Internet/Wifi systems to stream all the games.

The NFL had been seeking $2.5 billion per season for the package. It could still reach that total since the league retains commercial rights to bars and restaurants and is in the midst of selling those rights.

B
Legend
Legend
B

In the article it said this: "Starting next season, NFL Sunday Ticket will be available on two of YouTube's growing subscription businesses as an add-on package on YouTube TV and standalone a-la-carte on YouTube Primetime Channels."

I take it YOUTube primetme allows just the NFl package.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
jfanent #1994608 12/22/22 10:41 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by jfanent
RIP satellite and cable TV. Your era has come to an end.

Primary reason I've got DirectTV is to have NFL ticket... I'll probably keep it next year to see how much I actually use it... but likely I see cancelling it in a year or two...

<><

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I have YouTube TV, and generally like it. I have no idea what YouTube Primetime is.

I also subscribe separately to Sunday ticket. It is more restrictive because I can only watch games live, on one device, and cannot record. Hopefully that will change.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Goodbye to my DIRECTV … my only gripe is that I have so many streaming platforms that it gets annoying switching back and forth

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
1 member likes this: FATE
jaybird #1994651 12/23/22 10:59 AM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by jaybird
Primary reason I've got DirectTV is to have NFL ticket... I'll probably keep it next year to see how much I actually use it... but likely I see cancelling it in a year or two...

Youtube TV along with Hulu and some other streaming services have channel packages much like DirecTV does. ESPN, local channels and pretty much the same variety of channels DirecTV has at a lower cost. You can get pretty much everything you're getting on DirectTV on Youtube TV.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Google/YouTube are presumably led by smart people, but I have to think NFL RedZone has taken away a lot of Sunday Ticket clients. Where Ticket's utility resides is fans not living in the same market of the team they root for. I'm just not sure how much of those people will use Ticket relative to the size of that deal??

I would probably buy it...and I think the vast majority of people here would too based on their appetite for all thing Browns. I'm just curious that other fans (not so die-hard and invested) would be fine watching their team on simply the more important drives?

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think people want to watch their team. Fans aren't packing sports bars to watch the redzone.

I guess we need to wait to find out exactly how it is going to work and the fee to be charged.

I am sure I will probably get it. I would much rather watch the away games and select home games at home rather than head to the sports bar to watch.

How much does Direct TV currently charge for the NFL ticket? Just the ticket. Not their other stuff.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
j/c:

Google/YouTube are presumably led by smart people, but I have to think NFL RedZone has taken away a lot of Sunday Ticket clients. Where Ticket's utility resides is fans not living in the same market of the team they root for. I'm just not sure how much of those people will use Ticket relative to the size of that deal??

I would probably buy it...and I think the vast majority of people here would too based on their appetite for all thing Browns. I'm just curious that other fans (not so die-hard and invested) would be fine watching their team on simply the more important drives?

As gambling on sports continues to become legals in states, particularly with live betting from the convenience of your phone, I think YouTube will capture the new gambling market where bettors will want to watch the game(s) they have money riding on compared to getting bounced from game to game on RedZone.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

Yea, this will be interesting. The past I don't know...maybe 4-5 years I have bought the Sunday Ticket through eBay. When I was in DC, I didn't have cable (besides local) b/c I don't watch much tv. So I would just invest that money into 1 Gig internet for the speed. On eBay, I just bought it off another person for around 35 dollars and shared the ticket with them.

At my condo here in Hi, Spectrum cable is included in my HOA and I really don't have a need for Youtube TV. I haven't watched tv since a few weeks ago when I watched the Browns game. I'll just wait and see how this all plays out.

B
Legend
Legend
B
That sums it up.

If Ican purchase the games as a stand alone on Youtube prime channels, for say $200 a year, I will sign up. If I first have to subscribe to YouTube TV or the Prime version, and pay for the NFL games, I will probably keep going to the bar to watch.

One of the things I have to consider is that I have season tickets. I go to at least 5-6 games a year if not more. That ups the actual cost per game for those I would watch at home. If that cost starts to push over $20 a game, then it probably isn't worth it to me.

I might be able to go to a lower tier on my regular streaming service, but it depends on what channels we would lose v. what would be gained. My wife does watch TV and telling her we will no longer get the Hallmark channel or H&G would go over like a lead balloon.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I’m really hoping for an improved product (and one that’s easy to access). hopefully more personal choice when it comes to split screens

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
PitDAWG #1995441 12/25/22 11:50 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

Youtube TV along with Hulu and some other streaming services have channel packages much like DirecTV does. ESPN, local channels and pretty much the same variety of channels DirecTV has at a lower cost. You can get pretty much everything you're getting on DirectTV on Youtube TV.

Thanks - I'll probably seriously consider going this route... main thing I've liked on DirectTV has been the sports packages and local news... stream almost everything else already...

<><

#gmstrong
jaybird #1995449 12/26/22 07:48 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

Thanks - I'll probably seriously consider going this route... main thing I've liked on DirectTV has been the sports packages and local news... stream almost everything else already...

In time, everything will be streamed. Streaming is how I receive my TV package.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Tailgate Forum Sunday Ticket

Link Copied to Clipboard