Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Legend
Legend
F
Tip to those thinking about getting a portable generator.

Plan ahead, or keep a 5 gallon can of gas full all the time. I keep one full with a little stabil in it, and every 4-6 months I dump it into the Jeep and go refill it.

Can't tell you how many people I know that have generators but don't keep gas for it, and then after the hurricane when even gas stations had no power for pumping, they were all in a panic.

I keep 5 gallons on hand and a siphon kit I can get fuel from our vehicles if need be.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
2 members like this: PortlandDawg, GratefulDawg
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Just to let people know .... there is a way to reconfigure your furnace to run on a car battery in an emergency.

Just one of those things you run across on the internet. crazy

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
1 member likes this: PrplPplEater
FloridaFan #1995887 12/28/22 06:01 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
You'de be surprised at how much a small generator can actually run if you choose wisely.

Part of our hurricane kit is my 5500watt genny, and I have a Ryobi 1800 quiet generator.

After Ian I only ever ran the Ryobi, it's small, quiet, and 1.5 gallons will run 8-10 hours. No problem running the fridge a few ceiling fans and most of the lights (All my lights are LED), and had a small 24" LED TV with an antenna to keep us entertained.

My 5 gallon can only had to be refilled 2x during the 8 days we were without power, running the genny 24/7.

I have a 3100 watt Champion inverter generator that I got to power the camper AC and fridge and charge the battery. I'm not going to shell out the big bucks for one that automatically kicks on, but I want enough power to run the furnace, fridge, lights and computers.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
That is really all you need. I understand whole house generators, but having enough to power up a fridge and a few select items is all one needs. If you are in cold climate you need a heat source, warm climate, a small window unit to use to cool a room or two. Even a few box fans if nothing else.

In cold conditions you may not even need to power a refrigerator. Just set stuff outside.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... The weather

Link Copied to Clipboard