Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Legend
Legend
P
How many Republican votes did Pelosi get for speaker? When your opponents are kicking their own ass don't expect your opposition to bail you out.

And yes, there are Republicans that could cross over to vote for McCarthy. Those are the exact people holding the Republican party for ransom. But it's starting to appear that McCarthy is selling enough of his soul to at least begin to win some of them over.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
How many Republican votes did Pelosi get for speaker? When your opponents are kicking their own ass don't expect your opposition to bail you out.

And yes, there are Republicans that could cross over to vote for McCarthy. Those are the exact people holding the Republican party for ransom. But it's starting to appear that McCarthy is selling enough of his soul to at least begin to win some of them over.

I wish he would sell out and get some Democratic support.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
You mean the 20 bastards that wish to insure our government can't function? I'm not a fan of Kevin McCarthy. I can however understand how over 200 members of congress do not wish to allow 20 members to hold the party hostage and blackmail them.

There are plenty of Democrats who could cross over or Republicans who can too.

Of course but you’ll never see a group of democrats smiling and laughing about how they shut down a working government for a week or two just because they could. It’s an embarrassment to their own party.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
You mean the 20 bastards that wish to insure our government can't function? I'm not a fan of Kevin McCarthy. I can however understand how over 200 members of congress do not wish to allow 20 members to hold the party hostage and blackmail them.

There are plenty of Democrats who could cross over or Republicans who can too.

Of course but you’ll never see a group of democrats smiling and laughing about how they shut down a working government for a week or two just because they could. It’s an embarrassment to their own party.

2013 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_United_States_federal_government_shutdown

2018/2019 (several times) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018%E2%80%932019_United_States_federal_government_shutdown

Legend
Legend
rofl yep… yet another republican led house that failed to govern.

– Jackie Robinson
E
Legend
Legend
E
They finally got it done.

No Craps Given
B
Legend
Legend
B
Just a comment.

I have seen many on here over the past years wanting a viable 3rd party.

This is a good example of what it would be like with a solid 3rd party. Here it took 20 hold outs to bodger up the works. This could just as easily happen with the Dems and their left wing the party. A part of the Dem party I am sure who have been taking notes to use the next time they are in power for a similar vote.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I missed it, was there some kinda physical fight that almost broke out on the house floor last night... Someone needed restrained or something like that. What did I miss.

Anyway, McCarthy made it as Speaker.. Wonder what he had to give up and promise.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
We already know he sold his soul to donny during his visit to Mar A Lardo.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Just a comment.

This is a good example of what it would be like with a solid 3rd party. Here it took 20 hold outs to bodger up the works. This could just as easily happen with the Dems and their left wing the party. A part of the Dem party I am sure who have been taking notes to use the next time they are in power for a similar vote.

Nobody had to "take notes". It's always taken a majority of the House to elect a speaker. And while a third party is a wonderful idea can you imagine how difficult it would be to get a majority of the House to vote in a majority for a Speaker if the vote was split three ways?

j/c

The Cra Cra Caucus won. If anyone has any doubts about this, Gaetz said it all with this.

Matt Gaetz Says He 'Ran Out of Stuff to Ask For' From McCarthy

"I am excited and encouraged," Gaetz said. "I am grateful that Speaker-designate McCarthy has been so receptive to each and every change that we have demanded. And Sean, we're at the stage right now where I'm running out of stuff to ask for."

https://www.newsweek.com/matt-gaetz-says-he-ran-out-stuff-ask-mccarthy-1772024

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Lol Once again projecting Goper flaws on the opposition. It never fails to show up.

– Jackie Robinson
B
Legend
Legend
B
Nobody had to "take notes". It's always taken a majority of the House to elect a speaker. And while a third party is a wonderful idea can you imagine how difficult it would be to get a majority of the House to vote in a majority for a Speaker if the vote was split three ways?

I understand that. My point is a group like the squad might decide to do something similar to push more of their viewpoint.

Both party's seem to have a small but vocal group more on the fringe than the mainstream group inside the party.

To Perfects point, I don't see it as a flaw so much as simply politics in the roaring 20's. I wasn't trying to say anything as a diss to the Dems in this regard.

It makes sense to me when subgroups flex their muscle when they have the chance,. I don't like it all that much, but I get why it was or can again be done.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Oh I certainly didn't take it as you trying to diss the Democrats. I however do not believe you thought it through. It has been known all along that to obstruct someone from becoming Speaker all you have to do is have a very small contingent within your own party to prevent it and use leverage to your advantage. I don't think anyone had to take notes to understand that or as if it were some new, magical idea.

Both parties do certainly have what I call the whackamole fringe elements within their ranks. But this is the first time in over 160 years that such a thing has been done. While each of the extreme contingents of both parties have known this could be done all along only one side has tried and successfully used it to their advantage since pre Civil war times. Could the other side do the same? Certainly. But then they could have done so all along and chose not to. This isn't a new idea. Yet it has been since before the Civil war that it has gone this far.

and the fact is a lot of people can do a lot of things that are technically legal. That doesn't make them any more right. Do I understand people pushing those boundaries? Not from a realistic standpoint. I realize at that point they have chosen to do the wrong thing for their own personal gain while ignoring what they know is the right thing to do.

And as I said previously, under the current rules to elect a Speaker, a third party in the mix would make it impossible to achieve. I like the idea of a third party but a lot of rules would have to be changed for any functioning government to come from it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Just a comment.

Who would be the third party... Insurrectionists? Maybe Trump a Doodle Do's or how about the Domestic Terror Party. Trump, Gaitz, Boebert, Gosar, McCarthy would be Charter Members.. My guess is that the Army of this party would be some combination of the Proud Boys or Oath Keepers or KKK or some other white/christian Nationalist folks.. There motto would be, Go armed or don't go at all.....,.

You say this could have happened with the Dems,, But it didn't. So trying to lay out some BS like this won't make it real. As for Dems taking notes, why? Just look across the isle to see why it's dangerous and stupid.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P
It would be moderates. A group which feel, and understandably so, that neither of the two major parties represent them. The insurrectionists have already pledged their loyalty to a major political party.

#gmstrong
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Originally Posted by Damanshot
I missed it, was there some kinda physical fight that almost broke out on the house floor last night... Someone needed restrained or something like that. What did I miss.

Anyway, McCarthy made it as Speaker.. Wonder what he had to give up and promise.

Mike Rogers had to be restrained around the head from going after Gaetz. They should have let him go

Here is some from CNN that was given up

McCarthy picks up key support amid concessions
In a major shift, McCarthy and his allies successfully flipped more than a dozen GOP votes into his column Friday afternoon – the first sign of serious momentum in support of his speaker bid after a series of failed votes over the course of multiple days.

Here is a list of key concessions and promises McCarthy and his allies have made over the course of the negotiations, based on CNN reporting:

-Any member can call for a motion to vacate the speaker’s chair – this is significant because it would make it much easier than it is currently to trigger what is effectively a no confidence vote in the speaker. Conservatives pushed hard for this, while moderates are worried it will weaken McCarthy’s hand.
-A McCarthy-aligned super PAC agreed to not play in open Republican primaries in safe seats
-The House will hold votes on key conservative bills, including a balanced budget amendment, congressional term limits and border security
-Efforts to raise the nation’s debt ceiling must be paired with spending cuts. This could become a major issue in the future when it is time to raise the debt limit to avoid a catastrophic default because Democrats in the Senate and the White House would likely oppose demands for spending cuts
-Move 12 appropriations bills individually. Instead of passing separate bills to fund government operations, Congress frequently passes a massive year-end spending package known as an “omnibus” that rolls everything into one bill. Conservatives rail against this, arguing that it evades oversight and allows lawmakers to stick in extraneous pet projects.
-More Freedom Caucus representation on committees, including the powerful House Rules Committee
-Cap discretionary spending at fiscal 2022 levels, which would amount to lower levels for defense and domestic programs
Seventy-two hours to review bills before they come to floor
-Give members the ability to offer more amendments on the House floor
-Create an investigative committee to probe the “weaponization” of the federal government
-Restore the Holman rule, which can be used to reduce the salary of government officials

One that stands out to me is the debt ceiling-they have already said that they will not raise the debt ceiling without very large cuts to social security and medicare.

The other one that stands out is the rescinding the holman rule-they can vote to rescind federal employees salaries and reduce the appropriations to agencies. They could reduce the appropriations down to 1 dollar. It has been assumed that they would try this with the DOJ and the FBI.

Legend
Legend

Sacrifices:

1. His authority
2. His influence
3. His spinal column
4. His scrotal sac.

Promises:

1. Anything "The 20" demand, for the next 2 years.

Kevin McCarthy: eunuch with a gavel.
Strong leadership you can respect! [/purple]

"too many notes, not enough music-"
P
Legend
Legend
P
Matt Gaetz Says He 'Ran Out of Stuff to Ask For' From McCarthy

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
"Create an investigative committee to probe the “weaponization” of the federal government"
Do they really think this? Is this a QAnon demand someone got in. This is bonkers. what a waste of time money and energy. I guess MTG will get this one.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I saw that too.

Kevin has now passed through the Gaetz of Hell.
His soul is no longer his own.

Ready yourself: you're about to see 2 years of the dog being wagged by his tail.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
B
Legend
Legend
B
We'll see.

I don't think it is in as much disarray as some think.

In looking at some of the demands, I like many them and don't care one way or the other about the others.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Jester Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I don't think that we know a lot of what was demanded and given.

I am 100% in agreement with the demand for a 72 hour window between Bill submission for a vote and the actual vote. I never understood how you could vote for a Bill you haven't read.

Many of the demands are being overblown such as the vote for npw confidence in the Speaker. This is really just a return to the pre-Pelosi era. Though with the state of politics today, this is ripe for abuse.

My bigger concerns are what we have yet to see. Committee memberships and chairmanships will be something to keep an eye on. This will have a huge impact on the nation going forward.

Also, it seems as if there may have been demands for a number of investigations. I find it funny that the Republicans criticize the Dems for doing what they call "frivolous" investigations yet want to start twice as many "frivolous" investigations.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
First order of business…..make title 42 permanent. Scrutinize Hunter Biden’s laptop and personal emails. Impeachment of Biden. Cut support to Ukraine. Meetings with Lil Kim. Mark it down.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
It would be moderates. A group which feel, and understandably so, that neither of the two major parties represent them. The insurrectionists have already pledged their loyalty to a major political party.

Not that it matters really, but I was just being Snarkey towards Peen....:)

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
We'll see.

In looking at some of the demands, I like many them and don't care one way or the other about the others.

Your right, there isn't as much disarray as some might think... Its worse.... I mean when you have to restrain members from beating the hell out of another member, you've crossed the line from disarray to chaos.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Damanshot
We'll see.

Your right, there isn't as much disarray as some might think... Its worse.... I mean when you have to restrain members from beating the hell out of another member, you've crossed the line from disarray to chaos.
Can you imagine a couple guys beating the hell out of each other over Nancy? Oops never mind …more chaos on the right.

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
We'll see.

That's the thing about these "demands". Most of them could be used in a good way. But the way they are written they can also be used in a destructive manner. To do nothing but cause chaos and deceit. As you said, we'll see.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Jester

I am 100% in agreement with the demand for a 72 hour window between Bill submission for a vote and the actual vote. I never understood how you could vote for a Bill you haven't read.

Many of the demands are being overblown such as the vote for npw confidence in the Speaker. This is really just a return to the pre-Pelosi era. Though with the state of politics today, this is ripe for abuse.

My bigger concerns are what we have yet to see. Committee memberships and chairmanships will be something to keep an eye on. This will have a huge impact on the nation going forward.

Also, it seems as if there may have been demands for a number of investigations. I find it funny that the Republicans criticize the Dems for doing what they call "frivolous" investigations yet want to start twice as many "frivolous" investigations.

I don't know if it is twice as many, or even frivolous, but the Dems have been in constant investigations, so what goes around, come around as the saying goes.
I do wish we could get out of that mode, but lot's of luck with that, at least this go round.

As I said, I like some, and don't care about the others. I agree, to simply pass a bill unseen is irresponsible. The American public deserves to know how and where their tax money is being spent. I don't care which party you want to point to, both include all sorts of crap that has nothing to do with the intent or name placed on the bill.

I get some pork, just the way it is, but we are at a point it is just plain fraud with some of the attached crap.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
You mean January 6th? Where over 140 police officers were injured and the certification of the election was interrupted? Yeah, no reason to investigate that. Are you serious here?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I was thinking more along the lines of tax returns, election fraud, russian collusion, unreturned documents...things that....and in a ironic way I suppose the lack of investigation of other things, but now they will get a deep dive look.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Jester Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
For clarification.

Twice as many was used as a colloquialism not intended to be completely accurate.

Frivolous was used because that is how the republicans are referring to Jan 6 and mar-a-lago. I don't think either of those frivolous.
As for the other side, I don't think Hunter Biden did anything illegal by himself. The question becomes, did Joe Biden do anything to make it illegal? I don't know so I don't think that would be a frivolous investigation, even if it comes out to be nothing. My issue with this one is Gym Jordan et al turing it into a circus with no substance behind it.

I do feel that MTG's desire to investigate whether we are unfairly prosecuting Jan 6th insurrectionists as not only frivolous but offensive.

Jester Offline OP
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I was thinking more along the lines of tax returns, election fraud, russian collusion, unreturned documents...

I wouldn't consider any of those investigations frivolous.
Whether those investigation result in proving an illegality or not is irrelevant.
Those investigation need to be done.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I was thinking more along the lines of tax returns, election fraud, russian collusion, unreturned documents...things that....and in a ironic way I suppose the lack of investigation of other things, but now they will get a deep dive look.

You mean actual crimes for the most part? I think you must have missed who is making wild claims of election fraud. And you do understand that keeping top secret documents is a felony offense, right? I know it does offend people such as yourself that expecting a president to release his tax returns the same way every president has done for 50 years seems outrageous and it seems that you have no issue with him and his assertions that he couldn't because he was under audit has proven to be a lie. The things people find outrageous and the things they dismiss at the very same time I find to be somewhat confusing.

You do realize he plainly stated that if he wasn't under audit he would release them, right? No problem for you I guess.

Dishonesty doesn't seem to be such an issue for some and they seem to think almost everything else is more important.

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
3 members like this: jaybird, Ballpeen, Clemdawg
Legend
Legend
rofl

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
That was hilarious! Thanks.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I really wish McCarthy would have negotiated with more center leaning Democrats than these 20 people.

It would have been better for Americans and negotiations to get things done with Dems.

Dissapointing!

1 member likes this: Jester
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Jester

I don't know if it is twice as many, or even frivolous, but the Dems have been in constant investigations, so what goes around, come around as the saying goes.
I do wish we could get out of that mode, but lot's of luck with that, at least this go round.

As I said, I like some, and don't care about the others. I agree, to simply pass a bill unseen is irresponsible. The American public deserves to know how and where their tax money is being spent. I don't care which party you want to point to, both include all sorts of crap that has nothing to do with the intent or name placed on the bill.

I get some pork, just the way it is, but we are at a point it is just plain fraud with some of the attached crap.

I assume the investigations you speak of are things like Jan 6, Georgia election tampering, Fraud in NY, Stealing secure documents? Or trying to extort fake favors the President of the Ukraine? Stuff like that? If so, tell me what's wrong with those investigations or at least tell me the Right wouldn't investigate any member of the Left for the same actions...

Or, if you want, you can tell me what the Left has done that requires investigated. I don't have a list.

That is the difference by the way., Those on the Right, like Trump and Rudy and Stone and Bannon have given the Left plenty of stuff to investigate. The actions of guys like McCarthy or Biggs or Gosar or Boebart or Green and maybe Jim Jordan regarding Jan 6 have contributed to the many issues. I mean, Jordan asked trump for a Pardon before he left office. I think it was Biggs or Perry that did the same. And now we have the wife of a SCOTUS justice openly saying the election was a fraud and again, NOT ONE STICK OF PROOF.

But yes, by all means, let's go after the Presidents son... (just so you know, if they go after Hunter Biden and find him guilty of something, I'm all for making him pay, Nobody is above the law....NOBODY)

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted by Squires

This was probably more intelligent banter than what was actually said. Lowest common denominator Congress folk.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I really wish McCarthy would have negotiated with more center leaning Democrats than these 20 people.

It would have been better for Americans and negotiations to get things done with Dems.

Dissapointing!

I keep prying for centerist/moderate Dems and Republicans to work together... it'd be much better for America if we had more collaboration and less of the fringe on either side...

<><

#gmstrong
3 members like this: GMdawg, EveDawg, Jester
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Speaker of the House

Link Copied to Clipboard