Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1999569 01/12/23 09:51 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So, I had my annual physical. I am seventy-five.

Everything checked out. I am good physical condition. Check.

The doctor mentioned that as you age it is important to work your brain. Anything where you listen, learn, and interact.

I decided I wanted to learn Spanish. I took Spanish in high school. I lived in Guatemala for six months many years ago. And I lived in New Mexico which of course has a large Spanish speaking population.

I looked at the various on-line courses like Babbel, Rosetta Stone, and Pimsleur. After reading comparisons. I decided on Pimsleur because it is based upon speaking. Being conversant. It is basically learning like a baby learns. Babies don't learn grammar and reading first. They learn to speak in conversation. What is this? How to ask for things.

I have gone through 12 half hour lessons. Usually doing two per day.

As you age your memory can be affected. You might be able to remember things from long ago but forget recent things. So, I knew this could be a test of my cognitive memory.

So far I am having no problem. My memory seems to be working well. I remember the lessons and conversations from day to day. In fact I find I am remembering words I learned in 10th grade.

Pimsleur is a great way to learn a language. There are free trials and the price $15 a month is reasonable. I find myself looking forward to the lessons.

It is important to do it everyday. My goal is to be relatively conversant in six months. I am not trying to pass a test or anything like that. I just want to see how I do.

1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
Legend
DuoLingo is another solid language app, and it's free. I have gone through their Spanish, Italian, and French classes. Unfortunately, when you stop, a lot of what was learned disappears, I can remember quite a bit, but not enough to actively communicate anymore.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
My wife and son have been using DuoLingo for well over a year. My wife, probably more like two years. She is actually getting somewhere with Spanish. She would still struggle in conversation but is pretty good at understanding (read: decoding in a fairly quick timeframe).

I have no interest to be fluent... but I would like to have a basic understanding and not be lost. Especially since I have some bucket list entries that takes me to farmland in southern Mexico. Pimsleur seems like it would be right up my alley.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
My daughter was trying DuoLingo and was getting nowhere. I looked at it.

I decided for my goals Pimsleur was best. I like it. It is slow but instead of trying to translate in your head. You just think the words in Spanish and the way the conversation went.

A narrator sets a scene. A man and woman engage in the scene and converse. You listen then repeat. You are not thinking of the individual words in English first. You just talk the way they do. It makes you think in the language not translate.

You can try it for a week free. People learn differently. For me Pimsleur works.

Legend
Legend
Maybe I'll give it a try.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
O
Legend
Legend
O
¿Habla Espanol?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Have to check to see if Pimsleur has Thai. I too would like to speak it, converse with it, also no tests for me, just want to talk to the wife’s family sometime.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
They have lessons in 51 languages including Thai.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Hablo algun Espanol.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted by Frenchy
Have to check to see if Pimsleur has Thai. I too would like to speak it, converse with it, also no tests for me, just want to talk to the wife’s family sometime.

M buddy has lived in Bangkok for somewhere around 6years or so. He teaches English as a second language. He himself spoke no Thai when he arrived. Sadly he still speaks almost no Thai to this day. His classes are taught in English. He hangs out with other expats from other English speaking countries. Add in that most transactional business with the city can be done in English as Thai people, especially the younger generations, speak English. So getting groceries, or ordering food, or seeking healthcare, etc can all be done easily without knowing a word.
I give him a hard time about it… the not learning the language thing. He’s got this amazing immersive opportunity to become fluent in such a cool language and he’s not rising to the challenge. SLACKER HIPPY!!

He’s contemplating coming back to the states for a few years before returning back to Thailand to retire.
It’s a beautiful country and the spoken language is pretty. There’s a song like quality to its cadence and intonation.

I’d love to learn it.

Goodluck if you give it a go.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Linguistics is a fascinating study. My mother spoke Hungarian. All I learned were swear words in Hungarian.

But people from her generation who were immigrants were embarrassed to speak their native language. They wanted to fit in as Americans.

I have a close Moroccan friend who speaks 5 languages.

When I hear some languages they sound impossible to me. German as an example is so guttural sounding.

Spanish and Italian sound easy. Vowel based and easy to pronounce. I heard Icelandic is the hardest to learn.

My college major was evolutionary anthropology. Linguistics closely tied in. But it has always struck me as weird how all these different languages began.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted by bonefish
Hablo algun Espanol.

Hablo espanol un poquito también.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
F
Legend
Legend
F
I've done Rosetta Stone and Pimsleur. I found Pimsleur to be much more effective.

I was learning for trips we had planned, and found Rosetta would teach me words for very long, most I forgot by the time they got to phrases.

Pimsleur went straight to common phrases, which stuck with me much longer, and I was less likely to space out during lessons.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The most important part is doing it daily IMO.

I think you have to mentally relax and just get into the flow of the conversation. Try not to think. Try to remember what they are saying in context. You may get the order wrong but understand the conversation.

It seems natural like teaching a child. "This a glass." "Look over there."

I find myself doing other tasks during the day like swimming. And will be trying to remember the conversation and words. I am starting out with a vocabulary. So that helps. I can read and pronounce properly. I know a lot of words.

I have had workers to my home to cut down trees and build a retaining wall. Plumbers and painters also over to do work all Latino guys.
When they talk to each other. I get lost. I pick up parts. I am hoping to get to a point where I can carry on a basic conversation.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by bonefish
The most important part is doing it daily IMO.

I think you have to mentally relax and just get into the flow of the conversation. Try not to think. Try to remember what they are saying in context. You may get the order wrong but understand the conversation.

It seems natural like teaching a child. "This a glass." "Look over there."

I find myself doing other tasks during the day like swimming. And will be trying to remember the conversation and words. I am starting out with a vocabulary. So that helps. I can read and pronounce properly. I know a lot of words.

I have had workers to my home to cut down trees and build a retaining wall. Plumbers and painters also over to do work all Latino guys.
When they talk to each other. I get lost. I pick up parts. I am hoping to get to a point where I can carry on a basic conversation.

Being in South Florida there is a lot of Latino's, and several Spanish speaking folks at work. While they speak great English, they often speak Spanish between each other, and I can catch some of it, but they speak it so fast that often the words blend together and I can't differentiate enough to do more than catch the premise of the conversation, but not details.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Learning a language

Link Copied to Clipboard