Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2000581 01/18/23 11:24 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
The Water Wars Come to the Suburbs
A community near Scottsdale, Arizona, is running out of water. Amid the finger-pointing, the real question is: how many developments will be next?

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-the-southwest/the-water-wars-come-to-the-suburbs

We have the highest snow pack in decades here in the mountains in Colorado this year. It’s snowing right now. Got a foot or two yesterday. Hope it helps in spring, but lots of lakes to fill up headed down stream to Arizona.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
....and not a single one of the over 370 golf courses in Arizona or 88 in Nevada have been shut down. It's funny to read the BS about how what they use is just a drop in the bucket and the "proactive" measures they take to preserve water. The fact is that it takes millions upon millions of gallons of water to grow all of this green grass in the middle of a desert, and it's being sucked out of the water supply that people need to survive.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I know right? Golfers in the desert could play on artificial turf of some kind. But no, wasting our most valuable resource is cheaper.

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
People never seem concerned about limited resources until those resources become limited to them. Then, suddenly it's a big deal. I know I'm old and all, but I think the term a day late and a dollar short works pretty well here.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
People never seem concerned about limited resources until those resources become limited to them. Then, suddenly it's a big deal. I know I'm old and all, but I think the term a day late and a dollar short works pretty well here.

In defense of the stupidity of the average American, most couldn't even tell you where their water comes from. They think it just magically comes from somewhere under the road in front of their house.

I'd bet you'd get a good number of people who would ask why we get water from another country when you tell them it comes from Colorado. smile

Last edited by FloridaFan; 01/18/23 03:41 PM.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree. Hopefully you were using sarcasm because I believe your post only furthered my point and certainly didn't defend the stupidity of the average American. naughtydevil

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
OK, so if you read the article, you will find that the homes in the community are not on a public water system.

So that either means a well, or a cistern to fill and have storage.

Normally that means a water truck gets water from a public water supply and delivers it to the home.

There is a loophole in the law that allows development, and Scottsdale does not want to sell its water.

But the thought of being on a cistern is pretty gross.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
New subdivisions in Scottsdale, Arizona are required to secure 100 years of water for their residents. The Foothils developers knew this and ignored it because they aren’t in city limits just yet. And guess who’s sitting pretty with all the cash while many Arizona citizens won’t even be able to flush their toilets? As usual, the greedy developers, real estate brokers, and mortgage lenders.

– Jackie Robinson
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Arizona water wars.

Link Copied to Clipboard