Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Legend
Legend
P
They sound like all the country music fans feeling so outraged over the dresses female country music stars wore to the Grammys. The funny part is she is one of the most conservative Democrats there is and has voted many times to actually help prevent liberal legislation from passing. Sometimes they just don't think.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Goper’s have a fantastic way of making themselves all look and sound like circus clowns. rofl

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
A
Legend
Legend
A
https://www.yahoo.com/news/style-expert-said-kyrsten-sinemas-200135567.html

Also, she's apparently not a democrat anymore.

Regardless, her dress was garish.

On a side note, apparently covid IS over, as only 1 person at the sotu was wearing a mask. Even the first lady was kissing the second man, on the lips.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Squires
Originally Posted by Damanshot
For every lie Biden or his Admin tell, Trump and his admin and those that support him, tell 1000 lies.

Not that a lie is acceptable. But geez..

What about what about what about.

This is what TDS looks like. Bringing up Trump in a thread that has absolutely nothing to do with Trump.

See this the part I don't get. someone that supports Trump says Biden lied... Like Green last night. I bring up that Trump lies all the time, Thousands of time in fact, but when I do that, it's a bad thing.. It's not, it's demonstrating the Hypocricy of those that support trump and never call him out, rather instead, they defend his lies.....

You call it TDS, a syndrome that doesn't technically exist except in the minds of those that need to put a label of those of us who stand up to trump and his itty bitty minded minions.

But if there were such a thing, it would be you that suffers from it.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
A
Legend
Legend
A
You label people all the time.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You obviously haven't been paying attention. Covid isn't "over". The current strain is far less deadly and for the most part far less severe for people who are healthy and especially those who are healthy and vaccintated. I' sorry you in your zeal to score political points that you don't understand this.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I think your elevator stopped at the wrong floor, bro.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
At least it isn't stuck on the ground floor.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
It was a joke... I think you wanted that covid post to be in the covid thread. Maybe not.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually if you look at who and what I responded to, no it was in response to this by arch which is just a few posts above my response....

On a side note, apparently covid IS over, as only 1 person at the sotu was wearing a mask. Even the first lady was kissing the second man, on the lips.

Hopefully that clears things up.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
My bad. Sorry.

P
Legend
Legend
P
No problem. I know it's hard to believe that someone would bring Covid into such a discussion about the SOTU speech but it happened. Not a word about the deplorable conduct of many members of the GOP of course.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Not a word from me??

P
Legend
Legend
P
In general. It's pretty much been "Biden said this.... that dress looked like..... covid must be over. I mean you have been reading the thread, right?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Not really. It's been mostly boring... as was the sotu.

So, you want everyone to react to GOP reaction, and not the sotu itself? Or else, no fair??

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
P
Legend
Legend
P
There has always been a process by which the opposing party gets to give a rebuttal speech to the president's SOTU speech. The display we saw by the GOP during the SOTU speech was unprecedented.

And no, reacting to the "speech" itself is fair game. But that's not at all a lot of what has been posted. And I don't really care what people post. Unlike some I don't try to censor what people post. But an honest observation of it isn't out of bounds either. You use the word "everyone" very loosely. Anyone and a few would have at least have held some balance to it. But I know, "no fair", right?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FATE
Not really. It's been mostly boring... as was the sotu.

So, you want everyone to react to GOP reaction, and not the sotu itself? Or else, no fair??

You are supposed to make the arguments he agrees with but failed to make himself so he has something to.. umm.. fight about, which is going to happen even if you do agree with him.

But you knew that already.

2 members like this: MemphisBrownie, FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
This is how it works. Ignore the reality and pretend it's nonexistent.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Heckling of Biden Reflects a New, Coarser Normal for House G.O.P.
The repeated outbursts that interrupted the State of the Union address encapsulated the ethos of the new Republican majority, which styles itself after former President Donald J. Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/08/us/politics/biden-heckling-house-republicans.html

Just to be fair the house dems can start heckling McCarthy when he speaks right?

The cat-callers heckled with impunity, despite a private warning from Mr. McCarthy before the speech to be on good behavior, and his public promises that the House would avoid “childish games” during the address. It was the latest example of the speaker’s struggles to control his unruly rank-and-file. A vocal subset of ultraconservative Republicans has exacted steep concessions from Mr. McCarthy in exchange for supporting his bid for the speakership — and he has demonstrated repeatedly that he is willing to cater to their whims to placate his party’s base.

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 02/09/23 03:20 PM.

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
No fair.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think any new wealth, wages, or other income, regardless of its source, should be taxed equally. And if rates vary then I think passive income should be taxed at a significantly higher rate than physical labor wages IMHO.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
McCarthy is a Cuckservative at this point. The small but vocal TRUMPIAN contingent in his republican caucus has total power.

Legend
Legend
IMO all income should be taxed equally. Say 12%.-15%. If savings, CD’s, federal bonds, and stock dividends are taxed at a higher rate then people may not invest as much.

– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
But I don't see that as an issue. There is enough money lying dormant in trust funds and other financial mechanisms designed for the financial elite; taxing passive income at a higher rate would return some of that to the flowing working-class economy where most people in the country live.

Personally, I have zero issues with a man/woman working their butts off and becoming filthy rich. And I have no issue with leaving wealth to your children. But where I draw a line is massive fortunes that could not possibly be spent in a lifetime. I think personal wealth should be restrained at a certain point by 90% taxation. That's the formula that was in place when "America was Great," after all. This is also the formula that built the American middle class. Other than the elite crying about it, what would that tax truly hurt? Something like all new wealth over 2 billion dollars net worth gets taxed at 90%. That, along with some new guidelines for corps sitting on massive wealth. They shouldn't be able to hoard money in corporate coffers. The working class IS what makes America great, and it should be protected from those that would destroy it. Period. And it's this transfer of wealth, coupled with manufacturing jobs vanishing in America, that have put us here, IMO. Sure there are many nitpicking things for both sides of the aisle to point at, but if we don't act to save the middle-class lifestyle in this country, our country won't last another fifty years IMO. Nothing is ever enough for the big profit machines in this world; they will take until the well is dry. And this recent rash of ridiculous inflation proves this. American working-class families started to get just a little relief and breathing room during the pandemic, mainly because they weren't wasting money. But they also got a head because the government pumped money into the economy. I personally think this inflation is nothing more than a worldwide money grabs by the financial elite and, by extension, the biggest corporations to wring those extra dollars out of the economy and remove the breathing room so people would return to their wage slave yokes.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 02/09/23 04:16 PM.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Depending what you read, there are 700 to 927 billionaires in this country. I would have to assume that is net worth, right? Taxing them at 90%? Of what?

Heads up: this country is already screwed by the debt we have accumulated under ALL parties.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Was there other stuff implied with this that compelled people to vote no?

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I’m not sure but here s a snippet…

Democrats decry House’s “micromanaging” of D.C.

Democrats only lightly touched on the specifics of the two bills, noting that they had passed through the full legislative process in the council — a process the House itself is not following by moving the disapproval resolutions before holding any official hearings on them.

On the voting bill, Democrats noted that non-citizens in various states had gained the right to vote at points throughout American history, and that currently some jurisdictions (including some towns in the Maryland suburbs) allow non-citizens to participate in local elections.

On the revised criminal code, Democrats argued that some of the new criminal penalties that Republicans criticized as being too lenient are in fact more severe than comparable laws in states represented by those very Republicans. Additionally, they pointed out, the revised code does not go into effect until Oct. 2025, and will thus have little impact on current crime rates in the city.

– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
90% of new wealth, so any gains. Not all wealth.

The debt is essentially us borrowing from ourselves. We never had to do that. That's all part of the 1910 meeting at Jekyll Island between the financial elite that eventually created the Federal Reserve. Ever notice how the fed works for the rich but not the working class? Nobody will ever tell me this wasn't the beginning of this country's massive wealth transfer from bottom to top. The fed's principal purpose was to keep financial scares from creating runs on banks and to keep businesses operating at maximum profit potential. They staved off natural market corrections and created the US Dollar fiat currency. This, IMO, is when America lost its way. A central bank was an excellent idea, but the national debt? Not so much. And having only been crafted by the financial elite of the time (think robber barons), we all know damn well that the federal reserve system we use today wasn't designed to benefit the working poor or middle class. We literally get taxed on the national debt by the fed, increasing and decreasing interest rates on the money we lent ourselves... Variable-rate credit cards, loans, mortgages, and inflation are the taxing methods. This allows them always to protect the interests of the financial elite and transfer everything else onto the backs of working-class people.

For reference:

History of the Federal Reserve
https://www.federalreservehistory.org/essays/jekyll-island-conference

1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Great post.

Don't agree with the 90% wealth tax, because there is no chance of it working. All that money will just get splintered and hidden. We'll have Chihuahuas in California suddenly worth 1.5B. But the rest is spot on.

Go back to your first post. The corporate hoarding is criminal. Especially since they hoard it oversees just waiting for the next tax holiday. And shills on both sides cheer for the holiday every time. They call it "repatriation" as if these corps are doing us all some favor by 'bringing the money home'... helping to stimulate the economy for our own good. Right... because that's what all these elites are going to do with their payday. You'll never hear a D or R call it a bad idea -- that should tell you everything you need to know.

Making rich corps pay full tax on these gains would equate to tens of billions annually. Instead we want to raid a mother-of-three for her tip money. Put an IRS agent at every Eat'n Park and have them turn their pockets out at the door every night. I heard they were talking about a 1.4B shortfall? Are you kidding me? We'll spend more than that trying to enforce the new code.

The whole system is whack, but there's no denying where it all started, and you nailed it to the wall. Sadly, this was all under the guise of protecting the integrity of banking; which was really protecting the right to loan out 10X what you actually have and reap profits on something that was never yours in the first place. Cool idea. We've seen how that has worked out several times... and it has always been the people that generated the revenue in the first place that have paid the price.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Damanshot
Originally Posted by jaybird
I also had to laugh at his billionaire tax..... he wants to tax unrealized gains?? good luck with that... don't think that's constitutional or even plausible... but makes for a good sound bite...

How about we tax REALIZED gains.. Would that work for ya?

Did any of you get a kick out of Republicans yelling out that Biden lied about them wanting to sunset SS and Medicare... that was funny especially because it was Senator Rick Scott that wrote it down and put it out for the world to see.

So, which was it, Scott made a mistake or Biden lied?

Also got a kick out of all these republicans that voted against the infrastructure bill were suddenly taking credit for it. But Joe Joe said that the money their districts received will go to new builds... and he'd be there for the Ground Breaking.

I know you all wanna talk about Yellow dresses and all, but I would like to talk about how Biden put so many loud and foul mouths republicans in their place last night.

This next two years will be interesting..

They do tax realized gains... I'm paying several thousand this year for some realized gains.... there are ways of deferring taxes on gains in real estate.... and there's ways to decrease your taxes if you have losses to offset your gains, but they do taxes gains already..... and there's zero way

and Biden completely embellished what Scott's proposal was... he wanted to have all programs expired and if they were worth having congress could pass it again... his proposal was widely rejected by both sides of the isle... Biden made it seem like half the republicans wanted to get rid of SS and Medicare...

I don't disagree with the Republicans booing that point.... I do disagree with Taylor calling him a liar, that's going too far

Overall I thought his speech was fairly typically of most presidents... there were a few times when I think his dementia crept in but overall it was on par for most SOTUs...

<><

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
On the voting bill, Democrats noted that non-citizens in various states had gained the right to vote at points throughout American history, and that currently some jurisdictions (including some towns in the Maryland suburbs) allow non-citizens to participate in local elections.

First let me say I'm against non citizens having the right to vote. However there is a bit of irony here. Did you ever notice that when an issue is something conservatives want, back and like, they scream and shout about the rights of state and local governments. But when it's an issue they disapprove of they have no problem attacking it on the federal level. Yes, it's true DC is not a state, but much like anywhere else they elect their own representatives which is their government. And now the feds have decided they have to use their power to supersede the representatives of the voters.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
COTUS:

[Section 8]

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;

So you are saying "isn't it funny that conservatives are following the US Constitution" when they decide what happens in the District?

Last edited by FrankZ; 02/10/23 07:42 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I have no idea what language you're reading my posts in. I'm saying Republicans preach keeping your hands off of state and local governments. Keep the feds out of it. Up until the point they don't like something. Then they put their hands all over it. Nothing you claim I stated in your quote is true.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
First let me say I'm against non citizens having the right to vote. However there is a bit of irony here. Did you ever notice that when an issue is something conservatives want, back and like, they scream and shout about the rights of state and local governments. But when it's an issue they disapprove of they have no problem attacking it on the federal level. Yes, it's true DC is not a state, but much like anywhere else they elect their own representatives which is their government. And now the feds have decided they have to use their power to supersede the representatives of the voters.

I have no idea what language you're reading my posts in. I'm saying Republicans preach keeping your hands off of state and local governments. Keep the feds out of it. Up until the point they don't like something. Then they put their hands all over it. Nothing you claim I stated in your quote is true.

You contended that "conservatives" weren't letting DC do what DC wanted to do. I pointed out that has been the way since COTUS since that is part of it.

Spin it boy spin it.

Legend
Legend
[quote]and Biden completely embellished what Scott's proposal was... he wanted to have all programs expired and if they were worth having congress could pass it again... his proposal was widely rejected by both sides of the isle... Biden made it seem like half the republicans wanted to get rid of SS and Medicare... [quote/]

Biden essentally read from Scotts own brochure..

The problems nobody with a brain believed Rick Scott. They didn't believe him when he said if it's good, we could vote for it again.

Also, his way would be JUST another way of take advantage of our seniors.

The word security means it's secure. not in the hands of republicans.. They cannot be trusted,.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Again, if it is such a slam dunk to renew, why not exclude it from consideration.

In my best Admiral Ackbar "IT'S A TRAP"

[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
Legend
Legend
P
You seem confused. They've had the power to control D.C. but have not done much if anything to exercise that power for a very long time. Until now. By and large they have allowed elected D.C. officials run DC. It's not my problem you're having trouble comprehending that.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You seem confused. They've had the power to control D.C. but have not done much if anything to exercise that power for a very long time. Until now. By and large they have allowed elected D.C. officials run DC. It's not my problem you're having trouble comprehending that.

I'm not confused at all. They have the power to control DC, they don't always mettle in the day to day. You tried to spin this as "conservatives" doing blah blah blah without pointing out that this is how DC has been run.

You want to spin it to tell a false narrative, I pointed it out. You don't like it. Poor poor boy.

N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
Rick Scott is head of the republican national committee.

During the run up to the mid terms, I remember a couple other repubs saying-we have a plan (on a number of issues)-go read rick scotts plan to save America.

I have read most of his complete plan and all of the cutouts and it sucks-the whole thing sucks.

There are also other repubs that have stated that they want to revise social security by cutting.

No, it won't go anywhere now-But, there are a number of different repubs talking about similar plans. All repub plans are to cut benefits, reduce COLA, don't let them negotiate drug prices and the repub house voted about 6 years ago to raise the retirement age to 70. It never went anywhere-Obama wasn't going to let that happen if it passed the senate and from what I read, when Trump was president, he also did not have the desire to mess with Social Security/Medicare/Medicaid.

Biden has a bill proposed that the cap will stay at 160k and be implemented above 400k but the donut hole for people between 160k and 400k would remain the same. He doesnt want to touch small business owners.

The issue with Bidens bill is he goes and raises monthly benefits and COLA and the Social Security program is only extended by 5 years. I would look at revising the donut hole, keep the COLA the same

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FrankZ
They have the power to control DC, they don't always mettle in the day to day. You tried to spin this as "conservatives" doing blah blah blah without pointing out that this is how DC has been run.

Thank you. That's pretty much what I said. The only place you are trying to whitewash things is that not only do they not always mettle, they rarely ever mettle. Unless of course it goes against what their narrative is. Since it's Democrats who have controlled the city for decades, the only one's that have any cause to try and control the narrative is the GOP. And that's exactly what's going on here.

As for the rest of your childish drivel that's what you are really all about and the only thing you have left to resort to at this point. That's how you know the desperation is sinking in.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Biden Admin part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard