Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
A
Legend
Legend
A
Those are interesting videos. On one hand, they show a small snippet of what was reported. On the other hand, they show the whole situation.

Dude resisted arrest (for what I believe was a simple wreckless op charge) He fought the cops, resisted, and then fled on foot. At that point in time, every cop around was looking for him. They found him. He resisted arrest again, vigorously.

Now, there seems to have been enough cops around to have cuffed and stuffed him.

It's a sad situation. The guy is dead because he resisted arrest twice, while fleeing once. Don't resist, you get a ticket, a fine, your insurance goes up. cops could have/should have been able to, the second time, control him.

1 dead, 5 officers in jail. Because a dude didn't want a ticket.

1 member likes this: GMdawg
O
Legend
Legend
O
Sounds nothing like what I'm reading in the news. Or is this the white washed version going around your circles? Smh. You are such a considerate soul arch! Look at you going out of your way to make sure everybody knows this kid had death coming for not being 100% compliant, when his skin color makes compliance just as dangerous if not moreso. And before you back peddle into some BS excuse, this isn't the first time you've posted your true colors on blast. You see, according to the Chief of police and the world's eyes, this kid did not deserved to be beaten to death by five grown ass men. That and basic humanity is all I need to see wtf happened and who was at fault.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/28/23 09:46 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Memphis police chief calls treatment of Tyre Nichols a 'failing of basic humanity'

Memphis Police Chief Cerelyn Davis said Wednesday that her officers' treatment of 29-year-old Tyre Nichols, who died three days after a traffic stop, was a "failing of basic humanity."

Nichols, who was Black, died on Jan. 10, days after being pulled over for reckless driving. He fled the scene of the traffic stop but was ultimately taken into custody after what police said were two "confrontations" with officers.

Authorities said Nichols complained of "shortness of breath" after his arrest and was taken to the hospital in critical condition. Nichols' family said the police beat him so badly that he became unrecognizable.

Five Memphis police officers, who are all Black, and two Memphis Fire Department employees, were fired as a result of the incident.

The following is an excerpt of Davis's statement:

CERELYN DAVIS: In light of the horrific circumstances surrounding the death of Tyre Nichols, it is absolutely incumbent upon me, your chief, to address the status of what the Memphis Police Department is doing, has done and will continue to do in furtherance of finding truth in this tragic loss – ensuring we communicate with honesty and transparency, and that there is absolute accountability for those responsible for Tyre's death.

These officers were found to be directly responsible for the physical abuse of Mr. Nichols. Concurrent within that investigation, other MPD officers are still under investigation for department policy violations. Some infractions are less egregious than others. As this investigation and other external investigations continue, I promise full and complete cooperation from the Memphis Police Department with the Department of Justice, the FBI, the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation and the Shelby County District Attorney's office to determine the entire scope of facts that contributed to Tyre Nichols' death.

Aside from being your chief of police, I am a citizen of this community we share. I am a mother. I am a caring human being who wants the best for all of us. This is not just a professional failing. This is a failing of basic humanity toward another individual. This incident was heinous, reckless, and inhumane. And in the vein of transparency, when the video is released in the coming days, you will see this for yourselves.

I expect you to feel what the Nichols family feels. I expect you to feel outrage in the disregard of basic human rights, as our police officers have taken an oath to do the opposite of what transpired on the video. I expect our citizens to exercise their First Amendment right to protest, to demand action and results. But we need to ensure our community is safe in this process. None of this is a calling card for inciting violence or destruction on our community or against our citizens.

In our hurt, in our outrage and frustration, there's still work to be done to build each other up to continue the momentum of improving our police and community relationships and partnerships, to show those who watch us now that this behavior is not what will define our community and our great city.

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/26/1151621971/tyre-nichols-memphis-police-chief

Legend
Legend
1 dead, 5 officers in jail. Because a dude didn't want a ticket.

To Arch….First of all, cops aren’t supposed to drag you out of your car and beat you to death for not wanting a ticket. You may want to remove your nazi sunglasses on this one bro.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
...when his skin color makes compliance just as dangerous if not moreso.

Not following you here bro, please explain.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
O
Legend
Legend
O
Do you think cops only beat black people that don't comply? And who knows what this kid thought was really going on? He looked to me like he was trying to survive.

Legend
Legend
I have no idea what that means or how it signals that it would be more dangerous to comply.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
A
Legend
Legend
A
My true colors? Please.

Also note, NO WHERE did I say he deserved death, or even to be beaten. No where.

Legend
Legend
You implied it. And considering the source.

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Nowhere in this country is the penalty for resisting arrest a death sentence. Stop trying to put part of the blame on that kid. There's no excuse for that. If you want to know the mentality of why things like this happen, all you have to do is listen to what one of the officers said near the end of the fist video. To paraphrase.... "I hope when they catch him that they stomp him to punish him." You see, there are some cops out there who think they have the right to punish people. That's not any part of their job. That's the job of the court system. And we saw how that worked out when they chose to dish out the punishment.

The kid was 6'3" and 140 pounds soaking wet. They chose to beat that kid to death. When you see the way they dragged him out of that car and were treating him from the very beginning on that first stop, it's easy to understand why the kid was fearing for his life and ran. And no the kid was never "fighting the cops". He wasn't throwing punches or kicking them. He wasn't armed with or brandishing any weapon. He was simply resisting being arrested by not allowing him to cuff him. Nobody in this country should be beaten to death for that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
He fought the cops

No, he did not fight the cops. He didn't swing at them, kick them or anything else. He had no weapon nor was he brandishing a weapon. He was resisting having the cuffs put on him. Those aren't the same thing.

The guy is dead because he resisted arrest twice, while fleeing once.

He is dead because these cops chose to give him the death penalty for this. He's dead because those cops decided to play judge, jury and executioner.

Even when people watch it with their own eyes the truth escapes them.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
And no where did I say he deserved to be killed, or even beaten.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
No you didn't. Nor did I claim that you did. What you did was try to mitigate what actually happened by trying to spread the blame around and suggest this kid was partly responsible for his own death. I've quoted where you did that.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You implied exactly that by repeatedly saying the kid resisted and ran and that’s why he’s dead. Maybe you should backtrack your stance instead of backtracking what others interpreted what you said.

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
3 Virginia hospital workers charged with murder in death of Irvo Otieno

Three hospital employees in Virginia were arrested Thursday and charged with second-degree murder in the death of Irvo Otieno, the 28-year-old Black man who died at a state mental health facility last week, the Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney for Dinwiddie County said in a news release obtained by CNN affiliate WTVR.

Those charged come in addition to the seven sheriff’s deputies who were charged with second-degree murder on Tuesday.

The three Central State Hospital employees were identified as Darian M. Blackwell, 23, of Petersburg; Wavie L. Jones, 34, of Chesterfield; and Sadarius D. Williams, 27, of North Dinwiddie. They were arrested Thursday and are being held without bail in the Meherrin River Regional Jail in Brunswick County, the commonwealth attorney’s office said.

CNN has not been able to determine whether the hospital employees have legal counsel.

Online court records show the seven deputies and three hospital employees are scheduled for a grand jury hearing Tuesday.

Also on Thursday, Otieno’s family watched surveillance video that prosecutors have said shows law enforcement officers fatally smothering him.

“My son was treated like a dog, worse than a dog,” Otieno’s mother, Caroline Ouko, said. “I saw it with my own eyes on the video.”

Otieno died March 6 at the state mental health facility during the intake process as he was being transferred from a Henrico County jail, according to Commonwealth’s Attorney Ann Cabell Baskervill.

Baskervill said she is not able to release the video to the public.

“The criminal information warrants are based on the evidence collected, analyzed and evaluated to-date,” Baskervill said, according to the news release announcing the arrests of the hospital workers.

“A key element of that evidence is the surveillance video from Central State Hospital that captures the intake process. To maintain the integrity of the criminal justice process at this point, I am not able to publicly release the video.”

CNN has reached out to the Central State Hospital for comment.

In court Wednesday, Baskervill said Otieno was in handcuffs and leg irons and was held on the ground for 12 minutes by all seven deputies. She said the surveillance video of the incident is “extremely clear” and “extremely alarming.”

“They smothered him to death,” she said. “He died of asphyxia due to being smothered.”

The Office of Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond’s preliminary report identifies asphyxiation as a cause of death, the commonwealth attorney’s office said in a statement.

Family attorneys say video is ‘inhumane’

The Otieno family and their attorneys were shown the video by prosecutors Thursday, civil rights attorney Ben Crump said in a news conference.

The video is a “commentary on how inhumane law enforcement officials treat people who are having a mental health crisis as criminals rather than treating them as people who are in need of help,” he said.

“He, in the videos, (is) never confrontational with them. He is not posing a threat to them. He’s not violent or aggressive with them. You see in the video he is restrained with handcuffs, he has leg irons on, and you see in the majority of the video that he seems to be in between lifelessness and unconsciousness, but yet you see him being restrained so brutally with a knee on his neck,” he said.

Crump compared the video to that of the death of George Floyd, who was handcuffed, forced to the ground and held down by Minneapolis police officers in May 2020.

“This was a mental health crisis. He wasn’t committing a crime,” he said.

Crump called on the US Department of Justice to join the investigation into Otieno’s death, saying his constitutional rights were violated.

Ouko, Otieno’s mother, said the video was “heartbreaking” and added, “My son was tortured.”

She also spoke about her son’s mental illness, saying he had long stretches where “(you) wouldn’t even know something was wrong” and then there were times when “he would go into some kind of distress and then you know he needs to see a doctor.”

“Mental illness should not be your ticket to death,” Ouko added.

She said she followed her son to the hospital on March 3 and a doctor who was treating Otieno approached her and said her son was going to be alright. Ouko said they pulled her son off treatment and took him to jail but didn’t take his medicine.

Ouko attempted to see her son several times, she said, but, “They refused (to let) me to see my baby.”

She said she wouldn’t wish this upon any other parent or child. “They murdered my baby,” She added, “Why was my son murdered? What was the reason?”

Otieno’s older brother, Leon Ochieng said he witnessed a “homicide” in the video.

“What I saw was a lifeless human being without any representation,” Ochieng said.

Ochieng said his family is broken and is calling for more awareness on how to treat those with mental illnesses. “Can someone explain to me why my brother is not here, right now?” Ochieng said.

Otieno’s family is originally from Kenya, and Irvo came to the US at the age of 4, family attorney Mark Krudys told CNN. He had a passion for music and was working to become a hip-hop artist, he said.

Otieno had also been on medication for mental illness, but he was not able to take the medication while in custody, Krudys said.

The timeline of Otieno’s death

Otieno’s interactions with law enforcement began March 3, according to authorities.

That morning, Henrico Police responded to a report of a possible burglary and encountered Otieno, police said in a news release on March 10. Police officers – along with the county’s crisis intervention team – put him under an emergency custody order due to their interactions with and observations of him, police said.

According to Virginia law, a person can be placed under an emergency custody order when there is reason to believe they could hurt themselves or others as a result of mental illness.

Krudys said Otieno was experiencing a mental health crisis on March 3, and his mother was on scene and implored police not to be aggressive with him. Henrico Police officers eventually placed Otieno into custody without further incident, Krudys said.

Otieno was taken for evaluation to a local hospital, where he became “physically assaultive towards officers,” police said. He was held on three counts of assault on a law enforcement officer, disorderly conduct in a hospital and vandalism, police said.

Otieno was then transferred to the Henrico County Jail West.

At around 4 p.m. on March 6, Otieno was taken to be admitted to Central State Hospital, a state-run mental health facility south of Richmond, by the Henrico County Sheriff’s Office, according to the commonwealth attorney’s office. It’s not clear why deputies transferred Otieno.

During the intake process, Otieno became “combative” and was “physically restrained,” the attorney’s office said, citing what state police investigators were told. He died at the hospital “during the intake process,” the office said.

Virginia State Police were called to investigate his death at 7:28 p.m., the office said.

Krudys, who has not seen video of the incident, said the deputies had engaged in excessive force.

“His mother was basically crying out for help for her son in a mental health situation. Instead, he was thrust into the criminal justice system, and aggressively treated and treated poorly at the jail,” he said.

The Henrico Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 4, the local law enforcement officers union, issued a statement on Facebook saying they “stand behind” the deputies.

“Policing in America today is difficult, made even more so by the possibility of being criminally charged while performing their duty,” the group said. “The death of Mr. Otieno was tragic, and we express our condolences to his family. We also stand behind the seven accused deputies now charged with murder by the Dinwiddie County Commonwealth’s Attorney Ann Baskervill.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/16/us/irvo-otieno-death-charges/index.html

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Bull_Dawg
Really? You'd think a corporation that big would at least spring for some magnets.

There have been times that I've seen unmarked vans delivering in my area. The only markings on some was a sign in the window that says something like FedX Contractor or Amazon Contract Delivery...

In this area, there is a Fedx depot near me.,.,, most of those drivers don't actually work for FedX but rather with a contractor.. But they do drive Marked Vans..... Mostly.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Why do I think Otieno will be blamed for his own death for simply becoming combative over the abuse handed down on him?

– Jackie Robinson
V
Legend
Legend
V
Bias?

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
Why do I think Otieno will be blamed for his own death for simply becoming combative over the abuse handed down on him?

We'll find out soon enough.......

Prosecutors to release video in death of Irvo Otieno

Prosecutors in Virginia plan to release publicly the video related to the death of Irvo Otieno, who died while physically restrained during the intake process at a mental health facility.

Driving the news: "Now that the family has had the private opportunity to view the tragic video, and with their blessing and encouragement, I plan to release the video at the beginning of the week," Dinwiddie Commonwealth’s Attorney Ann Cabell Baskervill told the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Caroline Ouko, Otieno's mother, told the Richmond Times-Dispatch that the 12-minute video showed her son, 28, a Black man, being "tortured" and treated "worse than a dog."

The big picture: Seven Virginia sheriff’s deputies and three hospital workers were charged with second-degree murder in connection with Otieno's death.

Otieno's death comes in the wake of the death of Tyre Nichols, a 29-year-old Black man​ who died days after being beaten by officers during a traffic stop in January.

Civil rights attorney Ben Crump, who also represented George Floyd's family, announced this month that he joined Otieno's family's legal team.

"It is truly shocking that nearly three years after the brutal killing of George Floyd by police, another family is grieving a loved one who allegedly died in nearly the exact same manner — being pinned down by police for 12 agonizing minutes," Crump said in a statement, Axios' Sareen Habeshian reports.

https://www.axios.com/2023/03/19/vi...vBAP27etFPiS0IPlS0s-k6aHU83zi8I5rA_QgEBs

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Here's the full video. People can make of it what they will......

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nashville-school-shooting-covenant-school/

3 children and 3 adults dead. Teen Female shooter dead at scene. In a church school. We can only guess what was going through this young women’s mind as usual. But the over abundance of firearms and the easy access to guns in our society is a common theme here. She had two AR’s and a hand gun!

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
It's all over the news. Especially here in Nashville. But I think a certain portion of our society has achieved their goal here. They continued to support doing nothing to try and stop, or at least minimize school shootings to the point that it's happened so much people are growing numb to it. Job well done?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
It's all over the news. Especially here in Nashville. But I think a certain portion of our society has achieved their goal here. They continued to support doing nothing to try and stop, or at least minimize school shootings to the point that it's happened so much people are growing numb to it. Job well done?

Please show us where people have supported "doing nothing to try and stop" shootings at schools.

No one has said we should do " nothing". There have been alternatives suggested you don't approve of, but that is not the same as supporting doing nothing.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
So putting even more guns in schools is what you would call "doing something"? Maybe I would have been better served by saying "nothing of substance".

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FrankZ

Please show us where people have supported "doing nothing to try and stop" shootings at schools.

No one has said we should do " nothing". There have been alternatives suggested you don't approve of, but that is not the same as supporting doing nothing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So putting even more guns in schools is what you would call "doing something"? Maybe I would have been better served by saying "nothing of substance".

The problem is way more complex than your simplified spin.

Legend
Legend

Actually it’s not. We know exactly what to do to make it better. We’re just not willing to do it.

– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Actually it’s not. We know exactly what to do to make it better. We’re just not willing to do it.

What do you think would have 100% guaranteed avoiding this shooting?

Legend
Legend
What part of “making it better” didn’t you understand? Pfft. Nothing we do can meet those ridiculous expectations.

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 03/27/23 02:35 PM.

– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What part of “making it better” didn’t you understand? Pfft. Nothing we do can meet those ridiculous expectations.

The problem then becomes defining "making it better" which usually comes with additional burden to otherwise law abiding citizens. We "made it better" with the National Firearms Act in 1934. That would stop those criminals from using the really bad guns to kill people. But it didn't. We made it better Gun Control Act of 1968, then 1986, the AWB and etc etc etc. Every single time people proclaim it was just to get rid of the bad ones, or this will certainly save lives. We continue to approach a people issue with more and more regulation against objects.

Give me a reason idea of how to make it better without burdening law abiding citizens and without blaming an object. Please. Tell me how you think this should be approached other than the same old same old of restrict more and more objects.

One thought, when Russia invaded Ukraine the citizens weren't issued pepper spray to defend themselves. They were not told to "comply and they might not hurt you". They were armed. Showing up to a gun fight without a gun put the odds very much against you. But, please, let's keep blaming the same old objects knowing no gun walked into a school and started shooting. Let's continue to gas light and pretend like groups like Everytown and Giffords aren't trying to work towards a total ban on personal ownership under the guise of "common sense".

V
Legend
Legend
V
Once again, the mass murders, school shootings, suicides, etc will never improve as long as puppets like you treat those issues as political issues rather than social issues. It's beyond freaking sad that people on both "sides" are more concerned about championing their "side" and condemning the other "side" than they are saving lives.

1 member likes this: EveDawg
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Once again, the mass murders, school shootings, suicides, etc will never improve as long as puppets like you treat those issues as political issues rather than social issues. It's beyond freaking sad that people on both "sides" are more concerned about championing their "side" and condemning the other "side" than they are saving lives.

I think murdering innocent people to be a horrible thing. But I also know this is, has been, and always will be a people issue. I don't know what caused this woman to walk into a school to murder people, but it wasn't the gun telling her to do it.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Maybe it's time you wake up to the fact that the NRA and gun extremists are as political if not more than anyone.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I dislike even discussing politics.

I will make a simple statement and nothing more. Every time there is a school shooting and innocent children die. We are a failure as a country.

There are no excuses. Those children could from from parents of either party. They look to us to protect them. And we all share the blame in their deaths.

We have no problem creating weapons to kill every person alive. We spend billions in "National Defense."

We have satellites in space spying on our enemies.

Yet, are schools remain Unsecure. I am disgusted by this entity we call our government.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
And there in lies the problem. Other than reach common sense solutions and reach a realistic compromise, people are entrenched in politics to the point our children are being sacrificed on a regular basis. It's more about political gamesmanship than the lives of our nations children. At some point people need to step up and admit they've decided to accept a certain body count rather than seriously address this issue.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
Why do you resort to lies? When have I defended the NRA or gun extremists? Ever? I clearly stated both sides are at fault. I will say that it's your side that always resorts to attacks, name calling, and lies on this board.

1 member likes this: Ballpeen
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
And there in lies the problem. Other than reach common sense solutions and reach a realistic compromise, people are entrenched in politics to the point our children are being sacrificed on a regular basis. It's more about political gamesmanship than the lives of our nations children. At some point people need to step up and admit they've decided to accept a certain body count rather than seriously address this issue.

So which " non political common sense" solutions would have prevented this? I mean, you will poo poo the solution that entails ensuring that our children are protected with the tools that get the job done, cause... politics.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Start by getting rid of the AR and AK style rifles.

Limit magazine size.

The ammunition used in those rifles is more lethal to anything living animal including humans due to its velocity.

That is common sense.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
Start by getting rid of the AR and AK style rifles.

Limit magazine size.

The ammunition used in those rifles is more lethal to anything living animal including humans due to its velocity.

That is common sense.

You aren't serious on the bolded part are you?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Shockwave effect.... they are tiny rounds.

Article from the Atlantic.

Last edited by WooferDawg; 03/27/23 07:51 PM. Reason: Atlantic

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Here We Go again... Open Season?

Link Copied to Clipboard