Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't think you can be legit and on the payroll as a 10 year old.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
That's too funny. My first time card and paycheck was for the same esteemed title: "Bar Crowd Dishwasher".

$3.85 per hour and I smelled like a wet pig every night lol. I started cooking by the next summer. 😁

No, that was poorly worded on my part. Just pointing out that this is probably a "more beneath the surface" type story.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Right. That's why I pointed out the part that said they weren't even being paid.

They were either family members or indentured slaves; you make the call on that one.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
By the next summer I was working for a small town newspaper bundling papers and loading the trucks. I'd had my fill of egg stained plates! rofl

More hours and better pay.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Maybe because minimum wage in Kentucky is $7.25 an hour since Republicans won't raise it? And they can't get adults to work for such a cheap wage so they hire kids due to their greed? I know, we're not supposed to talk about that.

That's about $7/hour more than the slaves in the Congo make to mine the minerals for the electric car batteries that the liberals can't buy fast enough... it's about $5/hour more than the kids in Asia earn for making the shoes that Nike provides to their millionaire players who wear "Black Lives Matter" and "Fight Oppression" on their jerseys... it's a lot more than the 170 million child laborers make in then clothing and textile industry around the world (some in NYC) who probably contributed to the shirt or the jeans you are wearing right now... it's better working conditions than Jeffrey Epstein's underage sex slaves and the list of his "friends" that has never been made public, even after he didn't kill himself.... you either care about exploitation of kids or you don't, putting Republican in the title makes little to no sense.

yebat' Putin
2 members like this: Ballpeen, FATE
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I have no idea what any of that has to do with child labor laws in America.

I don't disagree with anything you said other than the fact that we have laws here, in our own country and obviously it's Republican legislation that has been proposed in an attempt to undermine those laws and protections. The people we elect have direct control over our own laws but no control over child labor laws on a global scale.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Ahh the lowly dishwasher.

After graduation we moved to Florida, like most, I left behind many friends, and was homesick, so the next summer I moved back to Ohio. I struggled finding work quickly, so to ensure I could make my car insurance payments and such (Was lucky to have an Aunt and Uncle let me live with them when I returned), I took a job as a dishwasher at the IronGate in Westlake, 6-1am, then I picked up a second job at a Shell Station 7am-3pm.

I worked a lot, but I enjoyed my co workers and still had fun, being young helps. I eventually did get a job as a draftsman with RW Becket in Elyria, cut dishwashing to just mon-thurs nights 6-1am, and the Shell station to just Sat and Sun 7-3pm. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Needless to say I got tired of it, and moved back to Florida a couple years later, after realizing my image of hanging in friends and such wasn't going to be as some went to college others started families, and I just pretty much working or sleeping most of the time.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
I have no idea what any of that has to do with child labor laws in America.

I don't disagree with anything you said other than the fact that we have laws here, in our own country and obviously it's Republican legislation that has been proposed in an attempt to undermine those laws and protections. The people we elect have direct control over our own laws but no control over child labor laws on a global scale.
So you don't have a problem openly supporting child/slave labor in other parts of the world? I find having 10-year-old kids working at McDonalds at 2:00 am appalling... but no more appalling (in fact significantly less appalling) than 14-year-old kids in the Congo who are mining minerals with their bare hands, in the hot sun, with inadequate food and water, for no money, while inhaling toxic dust the whole time... So if you own an electric car or have ever touted the benefits of why people should buy electric cars, your opinion on child labor laws in this country or any other don't mean squat to me because you don't really care. And that includes the entirety of the democratic party... so you putting "Republican" in the title has gotten you what you deserve, a fight over left and right and very little talk of child labor laws.... and for the record, child labor laws are broken in every state all the time, it's only the fact that it's "McDonalds" that makes this a story because if it was the name of some textile factory in Brooklyn, nobody would care... but it happens there as well.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
[Linked Image from icegif.com]

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by DCDAWGFAN
So you don't have a problem openly supporting child/slave labor in other parts of the world?

What part of "I agree with you" did you miss?

I find having 10-year-old kids working at McDonalds at 2:00 am appalling... but no more appalling (in fact significantly less appalling) than 14-year-old kids in the Congo who are mining minerals with their bare hands, in the hot sun, with inadequate food and water, for no money, while inhaling toxic dust the whole time... So if you own an electric car or have ever touted the benefits of why people should buy electric cars, your opinion on child labor laws in this country or any other don't mean squat to me because you don't really care. And that includes the entirety of the democratic party... so you putting "Republican" in the title has gotten you what you deserve, a fight over left and right and very little talk of child labor laws.... and for the record, child labor laws are broken in every state all the time, it's only the fact that it's "McDonalds" that makes this a story because if it was the name of some textile factory in Brooklyn, nobody would care... but it happens there as well.

Can you tell me which party or who I can vote for to change child labor laws in foreign nations? You keep talking about things happening in nations we have no control over no matter which party we vote for. I'm talking about things happening in our own country we can help control with who we vote for.

Of course I think child labor on a global scale is horrible. I'm just still not quite sure what that has to do with watering down laws and protections for children in our own country. Or which party we can vote for to change child labor laws in foreign countries. Are you trying to say that since child labor is so bad on a global scale we should not point out who is responsible for undermining the child labor laws here at home? Or is it since child labor laws are so bad everywhere else we shouldn't continue to protect child labor laws here in the U.S.?

You seem to be pointing out a problem American voters and politicians have no control over and compare it to a situation voters and politicians here in America can control.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Learn to se your words. Maybe you can explain who we can vote for to protect child labor laws on a global scale? Or maybe why we shouldn't point out who is undermining our own child labor laws in America?

I didn't think so.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
170 million child laborers in the fashion industry. That's shocking and appalling. I did not know.

But I guess if we are tarnished or told we can't object to child labor if you ever touted the use of electric vehicles - probably most of us can't object to child labor because there has to be a pretty good chance that somewhere in our closet there is a garment sourced with cotton or other materials from child labour. We should just move on I guess.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What part of "I agree with you" did you miss?

The part where that's not exactly what you said? (I mention this so the bots are not led astray ya know).

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by DCDAWGFAN
Maybe because minimum wage in Kentucky is $7.25 an hour since Republicans won't raise it? And they can't get adults to work for such a cheap wage so they hire kids due to their greed? I know, we're not supposed to talk about that.

That's about $7/hour more than the slaves in the Congo make to mine the minerals for the electric car batteries that the liberals can't buy fast enough... it's about $5/hour more than the kids in Asia earn for making the shoes that Nike provides to their millionaire players who wear "Black Lives Matter" and "Fight Oppression" on their jerseys... it's a lot more than the 170 million child laborers make in then clothing and textile industry around the world (some in NYC) who probably contributed to the shirt or the jeans you are wearing right now... it's better working conditions than Jeffrey Epstein's underage sex slaves and the list of his "friends" that has never been made public, even after he didn't kill himself.... you either care about exploitation of kids or you don't, putting Republican in the title makes little to no sense.

Here is the deal. We can only control what happens in 'Merica. So it is a bit irrelevant as to what someone in the Congo or Asia earn. Cost of living is all based on where you live. I could get a 3 bedroom flat for $150/month over there... It is their government that has the ability to control labor laws, not ours. Any capitalist understands that why all the labor went overseas.

However in "Merica: California is expensive, Mississippi is cheap. Now, we could not buy the stuff.... buy 'Merican... if you can find it.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I don’t care for rolling back child protections, but I started working with my dad as an 8 year old kid in a contractors family. Paying me 50 cents a day to pick up tools was an easy way to keep me happy and not pay a sitter. But I learned the trade. By 14 I could finish concrete as well as any man, and knew enough to run a crew in a bind. Other contractors would hire me to help on big projects as a kid. None of my grandsons could even imagine that. I do think you lose some of your innocents and childhood working too early, but I also think it teaches you the value of work, which often seems to be missing today.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
I don’t care for rolling back child protections, but I started working with my dad as an 8 year old kid in a contractors family. Paying me 50 cents a day to pick up tools was an easy way to keep me happy and not pay a sitter. But I learned the trade. By 14 I could finish concrete as well as any man, and knew enough to run a crew in a bind. Other contractors would hire me to help on big projects as a kid. None of my grandsons could even imagine that. I do think you lose some of your innocents and childhood working too early, but I also think it teaches you the value of work, which often seems to be missing today.

I agree with this.

No Craps Given
O
Legend
Legend
O
You should hear my grandkids when I tell them these things. Straight think I’m lying to them even though my mother, their GGma, tells them I’m telling the truth. Hell I made 300-500 a week during summer in the early 80s at the ages 14-18, my oldest grandson just lasted 5 weeks on his first job and quit… We’re not made the same even though he’s 25% my DNA. I love him dearly but he graduates this year and is as clueless as a newborn pup.

But having that much cash as a kid can mess you up too. I was a the biggest weed dealer in my school for a while, simple because I had the cash to buy it all the time. Usually had a QP in my locker, car, or at the house. Yes, I was an idiot GEN Xer, but my weed was free.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/06/23 01:21 AM.

E
Legend
Legend
E
I had chores when I was a kid too. Got a job as soon as legally able. I know its a trope, but the new generation is too soft.

No Craps Given
O
Legend
Legend
O
You’re younger. Things changed a lot after we went through. I was one of the last to legally drink at 18, my 4 year younger brother had to wait until 21 to legally drink. I could buy smokes as a kid without a note or parent nearby. Or if we did get refused (rarely)we just used cigarette machines. They cleaned all that up too.

We had this small golf course near where I lived and we knew the owner very well. He gave me and my friends permission to fish in his ponds, creek, and a large part of an abandoned gravel pit that was full of big fish. So we we all over his course. We got a little older and wanted to drink (13 or 14) and the golf course had unmonitored beer machines. We’d jump the fence when he was closed, locked up and gone, and buy beer from those machines then go party. Lol. Today, he’d go to jail for that and we’d all be in juvenile hall. Back then, when we got caught doing bad crap, the old boys will be boys got us out of almost everything.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/06/23 01:34 AM.

B
Legend
Legend
B
When I was 13 my dad would lug me down to the shop he and a partner owned and got to sweep up metal shavings for 7-8 hours. Great way to spend your Saturdays. He paid me $1 per hour. When I got old enough to drive I 'quit" that job and worked at Uncle Bills for $1.25 per hour to start.

Uncle Bills was kind of like Walmart before Walmart. It wasn't as big, but sold everything from garden supplies to stiff, scratchy clothes.

You remember those clothes. Your Mom would get you all gussied up for school picture day in new clothes so stiff you didn't even want to move.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube+monty+python+four+yorkshiremen&rlz=1C1GCEA_enUS959US959&oq=youtube+monty+python+four+&aqs=chrome.0.0i512j69i57j69i64.12649j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:e4366b2d,vid:ue7wM0QC5LE

All this talk of 'the old days' reminds me of this wonderful 3 minutes from Monty Python. Enjoy.

Last edited by mgh888; 05/06/23 07:49 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FrankZ
The part where that's not exactly what you said? (I mention this so the bots are not led astray ya know).

It's too late. You've already gone astray.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FrankZ

It's too late. You've already gone astray.

I'm good with astray, I don't think the party group think.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Yet it so often sounds that way.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Yet it so often sounds that way.

Protecting those bots are ya?

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Thus far you haven't needed protection.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thus far you haven't needed protection.

True, I can protect myself.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
As if liberals are the only folks buying electric cars a wearing Nikes. rofl That’s rich DC. Who’s making all the big bucks here? Betcha it’s not the woke liberals bro.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
As if liberals are the only folks buying electric cars a wearing Nikes. rofl That’s rich DC. Who’s making all the big bucks here? Betcha it’s not the woke liberals bro.

Define "woke"

Legend
Legend
A term republican goof balls use to define liberals who disagree with their ridiculous and extreme policies.

– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A term republican goof balls use to define liberals who disagree with their ridiculous and extreme policies.

So you are using it as a republican goof ball? Interesting.

Legend
Legend
Ok captain obtuse. rolleyes

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by FATE
Right. That's why I pointed out the part that said they weren't even being paid.

They were either family members or indentured slaves; you make the call on that one.

Kids working and not being paid...... SLAVES

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B

I think you are way wrong there my man. Most of the "elite", if that is the word you want to call them are liberal.

They need you, voting for them to keep them rich. You are still a slave my friend. They have the wool pulled over your eyes. As soon as they don't need you, to the wood pile you go.

Seriously man, you need to become a Republican if you want the chance to make money and succeed beyond the government cheese they are feeding you. If not, you are doomed to what you are given, and I get it, many people are only interested in what is given to them.

Just wait until they stop giving it to you. Then what? You aren't going to like it then.

Seriously, you need to think about that, but you may be past the point of hope. I hope not.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
You seem to be saying that Perfect is getting money from the government. That's he living on handouts.

Just wait until they stop giving it to you. Then what? You aren't going to like it then.

WTH man?

What do you say to all the impoverished Republicans living in the south?

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Rich and Poor are not drawn on political lines.

Heck 90% of the stuff that separate us is not drawn on political lines, they just like to make it seem that way.

Division amongst the masses, means power and authority to the aristocrats. They pull strings to make the wind blow whichever way helps them most.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Which was very much the point I was trying to make. I live in Tennessee and so does Peen. I would have thought he would certainly understand that. But his comments certainly do not make it appear that way.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Which was very much the point I was trying to make. I live in Tennessee and so does Peen. I would have thought he would certainly understand that. But his comments certainly do not make it appear that way.

Yeah, sorry my post was a JC, not really directed at your comment specifcally.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
No problem. I was just pointing out that we agree.

#gmstrong
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Republicans in several states try to make child labor great again

Link Copied to Clipboard