Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE
Silly discussion anyway. NEVER will Disney spend 50-75 billion dollars to move 45 square miles of parks and entertainment to another state. Empty threat at best.

This. I think Desantis is being a petulant child - but Disney aren't going anywhere anywhere soon ... the only way that would ever happen is if someone as insecure and childish as Desantis is making decisions at Disney !

What I suspect may happen - Disney could literally pour $100's millions into supporting liberal politicians in the state. They've probably stayed well enough alone up to now. It'd be perfectly understandable for them to bank roll anyone and anything to oust Desantis. And I guess since we live in a free society everyone would be coolio with that.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I certainly think it's much more of a symbolic proposal rather than anything to be taken seriously. I didn't see anything about it that I would consider a threat by any party involved. That's why my comments on the matter were strictly pointed toward why I would understand other states wanting Disney to move there. I mean if one looks at it how would it not make sense?

Let's use the Browns stadium as an example. Taxpayers will be on the hook for well over a billion dollars for a new stadium that is used for 8 or 9 home games a year barring any playoff games. It won't be a dome stadium so there will be several months a year the stadium won't even be considered for any outdoor concerts or outdoor events. Disney attracts as many or more people to their Orlando attractions on average 365 days a year than the Browns do on game days. Often times when families go to Disney it's to see multiple Disney attractions and those families spend at least a week there and not a weekend like they would normally do for an NFL game or concert. Because of this Orlando is second in the nation in the number of hotels only to Las Vegas. I think it's quite odd for a politician to try and undermine a business that his state is so dependent on from an economic standpoint. And in regards to central Florida, Disney leaving would devastate the entire economy. It's a huge gamble for him to take but you are most likely correct that Disney isn't moving.

Unless of course someone makes them an offer they can't refuse. And I can see how that could happen given the huge shot in the arm they would provide to any state government.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I disagree. There is too much at stake for Disney to not look for options to move resources out of Florida. Anywhere, somewhere, just to start to send the message. Prepare to loose jobs and revenue.

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 04/21/23 03:13 PM.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
Silly discussion anyway. NEVER will Disney spend 50-75 billion dollars to move 45 square miles of parks and entertainment to another state. Empty threat at best.

Moving all their cruise ships a few hundred miles to the north to a beach golf resort & port in NC would cost Florida millions maybe billions in lost revenue. And then Disney could just ride out the DeStupid vs Disney storm in Florida to see what happens.

YES. Since you can't move Disney World out of Florida, move all your cruise ships further away from Disney. That way they can scrap their exclusive, lucrative land and sea packages. Spend a few billion to "hit them where it hurts". I'm sure Florida will be crippled since it already owns 60% of America's cruise traffic.

They should hire you.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
M
Legend
Legend
M
They should and probably have or will do some sort of research. But Fate's numbers probably aren't off the mark - it's literally Billions to move what they have in FL. It ain't happening.

Legend
Legend
Yeah I know Disney isn’t moving out of Florida. I also believe Disney has the leverage to cost Florida billions in lost revenue if they started a new park, of some sort, in a neighboring state. Regardless DeSantis is playing chicken with a tank.

Last edited by PerfectSpiral; 04/21/23 03:33 PM.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888

This. I think Desantis is being a petulant child - but Disney aren't going anywhere anywhere soon ... the only way that would ever happen is if someone as insecure and childish as Desantis is making decisions at Disney !

What I suspect may happen - Disney could literally pour $100's millions into supporting liberal politicians in the state. They've probably stayed well enough alone up to now. It'd be perfectly understandable for them to bank roll anyone and anything to oust Desantis. And I guess since we live in a free society everyone would be coolio with that.

Interesting thought and strategy, definitely makes more sense than threating to pack up your toys and go home find a new home.

Looks like Walt Disney Co spent about 3.5M last year on contributions. Only $58,000 on candidates in Florida. They spend way more on lobbyists (5.2 million)
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/walt-disney-co/summary?id=d000000128

They'd really have to beef up the spending as DeSantis raised over $25 million during his last campaign.

Legend
Legend

Interesting thought and strategy, definitely makes more sense than threating to pack up your toys and go home find a new home.

Looks like Walt Disney Co spent about 3.5M last year on contributions. Only $58,000 on candidates in Florida. They spend way more on lobbyists (5.2 million)
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/walt-disney-co/summary?id=d000000128

They'd really have to beef up the spending as DeSantis raised over $25 million during his last campaign.

So what happens when DeStupid is re-elected governor or god forbid something else. Disney is toast, right?

– Jackie Robinson
A
Legend
Legend
A
I find it interesting that people that usually disagree with states/counties/city's offering tax incentives to move there, are now saying Disney should hit up N.C. for a sweetheart deal to move there.

Ironic. Oh, but the gov. of Florida is republican, so that makes it fine I guess?

Legend
Legend
j/c...

I think people are vastly overestimating Disney's "position of power".

Final Numbers Are In: Disney Lost over $120 Billion in 2022

Posted by: T.K. Bosacki January 1, 2023

The clock finally ran out in 2022, giving us a final tally on the damage The Walt Disney Company was dealt, and the results are not pretty.

Reports show that The Walt Disney Company lost $123 billion in market value in just the past year as its stock price closed the year down 44%. Down Jones Market Research shows 2022 to be The Mouse House’s worst year in its history since 1974, when the stock dropped a whopping 54%.

Bob Iger Disney Politics

Related: Disney Stock Drops to Eight-Year Low!

Disney’s stock performance made it the second-worst-performing company among the 30 companies that make up the Dow Jones Industrial Average. And these results manifest despite surface-level success stories like achieving the highest quarterly revenue for Disney Parks Experience and Products ever, becoming the first studio to cross the $4 billion box office number, including Avatar: The Way of Water hitting $1 billion globally in less than two weeks.

The fact of the matter is that Disney’s 2022 was plagued with bad news from its spat with Florida’s State Government, led by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, over legislation that has resulted in the loss of the Reedy Creek Improvement District to the discovery of unprecedented spending on the streaming side of the business that offset the Parks revenue and was paired with the news that Disney+ would not become profitable for at least another two years. Political bouts among fans over Disney’s “woke” policies were noticeably sprinkled throughout the year–even to be named “worst of the woke” for the second year in a row–and the Park experience has been marred by unruly Guests and higher costs for what the consensus has claimed to be lower quality. After all of this, it seems that there is very little faith, trust, and pixie dust left in Disney’s investor base. But, hopefully, the return of Bob Iger to the CEO position will help turn things around, and 2023 can signal the beginning of a return to better days at Disney.

https://www.disneyfanatic.com/final-numbers-are-in-disney-lost-over-120-billion-in-2022-tb1/#:~:text=The%20clock%20finally%20ran%20out,closed%20the%20year%20down%2044%25.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
You obviously weren't paying attention but that's okay. From my pot above....

I abhor corporate welfare on a personal level. Especially when the return on investment doesn't seem to line up with the investment made by a city or state. But when one looks at it, if other such corporations deserve such a handout, Disney most certainly does.

The fact that people don't like such handouts doesn't and won't stop them from happening. With the exception of Dallas where Jerry Jones paid for his own stadium, it happens to attract jobs and build stadiums for sports franchises in most major U'S. cities and states. There is nothing I or anyone else can do at this point in time to prevent it. At that point the comparison was made about return on such an investment.

But please, do go on.....

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
I find it interesting that people that usually disagree with states/counties/city's offering tax incentives to move there, are now saying Disney should hit up N.C. for a sweetheart deal to move there.

Ironic. Oh, but the gov. of Florida is republican, so that makes it fine I guess?

Typically large corporations are evil, unless siding with them allows you to rail about politicians, then they are just the victims.

Sometimes you just can't make up how fast the wind changes.

1 member likes this: FATE
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I guess that all depends on who you listen to.

Disney theme parks revenue continues to soar

ORLANDO, Fla. — Disney’s theme park division saw revenue soar in the fourth quarter of 2022, according to an earnings report released Tuesday.

The Parks, Experiences and Products division — which also includes Disney’s cruise line and merchandise business — generated $7.4 billion in revenue, up 36% from the same period last year.

Domestic parks — Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disneyland Resort in California — brought in $5 billion, a 44% increase, while the international parks reported $1.1 billion, according to the report.

Operating income for the parks division rose to $1.5 billion, more than double the prior year. Disney attributed that growth to increases in attendance and guest spending at its domestic parks as well as bookings on its newest cruise ship, the Disney Wish. During the investors call Tuesday, Disney CFO Christine McCarthy said that occupancy for the Wish has continued to exceed 90%. The ship launched in July with several new entertainment offerings, including a Star Wars-themed bar, a Marvel-inspired dining experience and the AquaMouse.

Genie+, the paid skip-the-line service, has also been a contributing factor in revenue increases at the park. The service, which was introduced last year, recently implemented variable pricing.

Guest spending growth was due to an increase in average per capita ticket revenue driven by the introduction of Genie+ and Lightning Lane in the first quarter of the current fiscal year,” Disney said in the earnings report.

McCarthy said the domestic parks delivered “significant” year over year revenue growth despite “an adverse impact of approximately $65 million to segment operating income from Hurricane Ian.”

Disney World theme parks were closed for two days because the storm. Earlier in the investors call, Disney CEO Bob Chapek thanked cast members in Florida who “kept guests safe and entertained” during the storm.

In addition to its fourth quarter earnings, Disney also released its results for the fiscal year. Revenue for the parks division was $28.7 billion, up 73% from the previous fiscal year, while operating income increased $7.9 billion for the fiscal year.

Looking ahead, Disney is set to kick off its company-wide 100th anniversary celebration in January. That same month, it will open Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway at Disneyland in California. A version of the attraction opened at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in March 2020. And in the spring, the company plans to open TRON Lightcycle Run at Magic Kingdom.

https://www.mynews13.com/fl/orlando/news/2022/11/08/disney-theme-parks-revenue-continues-to-soar

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FrankZ
Sometimes you just can't make up how fast the wind changes.

And sometimes even after it's been fully explained some people still don't get it while continuing to push a narrative that doesn't exist. And depending on which direction that wind is blowing from, it's rather stale and there's a very unpleasant aroma to it.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Gee, I wonder what could have contributed to that. Covid shutdown?

Legend
Legend
I think people are vastly overestimating Disney's "position of power".

I don’t think we are. Like I said before, the florida gov is playing chicken with a tank.

– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M
And sometimes even after it's been fully explained some people still don't get it while continuing to push a narrative that doesn't exist.

Oh, the irony.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Market value is tied to the stock price. You want earnings.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
Market value is tied to the stock price. You want earnings.

Correct. Disney market value is not the same as theme park revenue. And theme park revenue isn't that only thing on the books for the market value of Disney.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c

I see a lot of posts trying to score points instead of discuss - but then, I guess no surprise.

Regards Disney and FL - and income generated for FL businesses, I guess it's a bit like the Super Bowl coming to your city, based on hotel occupancy, covers consumed/served at restaurants etc. They have a pretty good feel for the the boost to the economy.

I found this from 2021 - sorry if you don't like the source, feel free to find a different one. But it sites a 2019 stud y (before any of these shinanigans or covid took an impact or skewed someone's bias to report high or low)

A 2019 study found Disney dominates the Central Florida tourism industry, according to Oxford Economics, and produced:

$75.2 billion annual economic impact for Central Florida.
463,000 jobs.
$5.8 billion in additional state tax revenue.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/n...litical-power-50-years-later/5919720001/

Other than being a petulant child, there is no earthly reason for Desantis to be picking this fight.

Legend
Legend
I see a lot of posts trying to score points instead of discuss - but then, I guess no surprise.

Other than being a petulant child, there is no earthly reason for Desantis to be picking this fight.

Good stuff! rofl

2 members like this: MemphisBrownie, jfanent
M
Legend
Legend
M

Good stuff! rofl

I think that's a good example of someone trying to score points, you even get a like for it. You think I was trying to score points against DeSantis with my comment? I actually thought you better than that. I'm on my phone but tomorrow I'll cut and paste you examples of exactly what I was talking about. Me offering my opinion on the Desantis is not scoring points. I think I can say with absolute certainty he's never going to read my opinion and post. but nice try and you got a light too awesome job

Last edited by mgh888; 04/21/23 10:30 PM.

Legend
Legend
I think the whole Disney thing is a bit over blown.... I don't love that they've gone a bit woke... so I didn't watch Lightyear... probably won't watch some of their remakes.... but I'm going to Disney World in November smile and will have a fabulous time...

<><

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Gee, I wonder what could have contributed to that. Covid shutdown?

Is this what you brought to the discussion as some form of evidence? You might wish to look at what to look at the Covid restrictions, or should I say the lack there of in the state of Florida. After you do, get back to me.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie
And sometimes even after it's been fully explained some people still don't get it while continuing to push a narrative that doesn't exist.

Oh, the irony.

The amount of information and discussion you add to this thread is amazing. All you have is a personal shot here and there while passing through and you think you actually accomplished something.

#gmstrong
F
Legend
Legend
F
Disney won't move, it would take way longer to buy and develop something than to wait for Desantis' term to end in 2027.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Mickey is wearing brass knuckles....LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I don't think the idea of them moving is practical either.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
So I made a comment about scoring points (against other posters) rather than talking about the discussion topic. As I said - no surprise because that happens a lot, it was just an observation (accurate). Maybe I am way off base but to my mind examples of "scoring points" would be posts like this:

"Good stuff! rofl "

"Is this what you brought to the discussion as some form of evidence? "

"The amount of information and discussion you add to this thread is amazing"

"Oh, the irony."

"Sometimes you just can't make up how fast the wind changes."

"They should hire you."

--> I mean, no big deal because we see the same or worse in most threads. Shame on me for even mentioning it I guess, what was I thinking right because we see so much of it I didn't need to say anything?

Personally I think comments about other corporations in relation to Disney, comments about Desantis, even Arch's comment about tax incentives is mainly within the scope of the discussion. Unlike some of the board police who don't seem to want anything discussed other than the exact tittle of a thread, I think it's natural and organic to touch on a lot of other comparisons and factors on any topic. Take Pit asking whether someone's opinion of Disney as a greedy, entitled company is consistent with other companies from other industries ... I think that's 100% a natural question to respond with. Some wanted to call that "whatabout" . It's not dissimilar to someone asking if posters want the Biden's investigated/prosecuted when posters are talking about Trump and his legal woes - that's not a whatabout, it's a clarification to ask if someone's perspective is consistent or skewed by political agenda.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
What you say is certainly true. Discussion ranks low on the list of many. I try to with those actually willing to have such discussions but at the same time I'm no less guilty of what you describe with those with which I know trying to have a meaningful discussion would be a waste of time. You have accurately pointed out what happens when I do.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
We (virtually/most) all do - Sometimes it seems more prevalent than others. As I said - there was no need for me to point it out specifically on this thread and I wasn't expecting to change anything it was just an observation.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by EveDawg
It's a typical response, because it's what you do in every thread. You have a difficult time dealing with the responses given to you so you deflect and whatabout. This thread is about disney. So, I'm staying on topic. I have to work, so that's all I have to say. Enjoy being wrong.

All he did was ask you a simple question and in typical righty fashion, you don't have a legit answer so you go on the attack....And you are wrong again.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
A
Legend
Legend
A
Do you ever contribute anything of substance? All you do is attack and label the side you don't agree with. You're as tiresome as 2 others on here.

Legend
Legend
Do you ever contribute anything of substance? All you do is attack and label the side you don't agree with. You're as tiresome as 2 others on here.

Oh the irony.

– Jackie Robinson
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Do you ever contribute anything of substance?

Hmmm.... Seems as though this may be something you should be asking yourself.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
‘Weaponizing its power': Disney accuses DeSantis of retaliation in federal lawsuit

“Disney expressed its opinion on state legislation and was then punished by the State for doing so,” the lawsuit states.

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The yearlong battle between Gov. Ron DeSantis and Disney will be fought in federal court.

The California-based entertainment giant filed a lawsuit in federal court Wednesday alleging that DeSantis and his hand-picked board retaliated against the company and violated Disney’s First Amendment rights, among other claims. Disney filed the lawsuit just minutes after a board appointed by the GOP governor voted to invalidate agreements giving Disney authority over its Florida-based theme parks.

“This government action was patently retaliatory, patently anti-business, and patently unconstitutional,” asserts Disney in the 77-page lawsuit filed in the Northern District of Florida. “But the Governor and his allies have made clear they do not care and will not stop.”

“Disney now is forced to defend itself against a State weaponizing its power to inflict political punishment,” the lawsuit states.

The two opposing moves Wednesday represent an escalation in the ongoing battle between the Florida governor and Disney. The fight was sparked last year after Disney publicly criticized Florida’s Republican-controlled Legislature for approving a bill banning teachers from leading classroom lessons on gender identity and sexual orientation, known by opponents as the “Don’t Say Gay” bill.

DeSantis, who supported the legislation and signed it into law, later pushed Florida lawmakers to strip Disney of its self-governing status that the company enjoyed for decades at its central Florida theme parks. Disney remains one of Florida’s biggest employers, with more than 70,000 employees at its theme parks near Orlando.

The governor also previously appointed a new board to oversee Disney’s Florida district. But in a surprise move last February, the Central Florida board that had been controlled by Disney quietly approved a pact that gave Disney authority over its parks. The DeSantis administration only learned about the agreement in March and scrambled to respond.

Some Republicans criticized DeSantis over the Disney flap, claiming that the governor — who is expected to jump into the 2024 presidential race — was outmaneuvered by the corporation. Former President Donald Trump, who already announced his presidential bid and is known for fighting with rivals, called DeSantis’ feud with Disney a “political stunt” and lamented that the entire episode is unnecessary.

On Wednesday, the DeSantis-appointed Central Florida Tourism Oversight District Board of Supervisors, during a meeting in Lake Buena Vista, voted to invalidate the February pact in an attempt to wrestle back control of Disney. But that move may be on hold as the lawsuit winds its way through the courts.

Former Florida Supreme Court Justice Alan Lawson, an attorney hired by the district, said that the old board attempted to act without the legal authority to act.

“Everyone must play by the same rules,” Lawson said. “Disney was openly and legally granted unique and special privilege, that privilege of running its own local government for a time. That era has ended.”

Jeremy T. Redfern, deputy press secretary for DeSantis, responded to questions in an email stating: “We are unaware of any legal right that a company has to operate its own government or maintain special privileges not held by other businesses in the state. This lawsuit is yet another unfortunate example of their hope to undermine the will of the Florida voters and operate outside the bounds of the law.”

Representatives of Disney did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

In its lawsuit, Disney stated that it regretted that the ongoing fight has led to a federal lawsuit.

“Governor DeSantis and his allies paid no mind to the governing structure that facilitated Reedy Creek’s successful development until one year ago, when the Governor decided to target Disney,” the lawsuit states. “There is no room for disagreement about what happened here: Disney expressed its opinion on state legislation and was then punished by the State for doing so.”

The lawsuit repeatedly claims that DeSantis targeted Disney and is punishing the company for speaking out against the “Don’t Say Gay” bill. It adds that DeSantis and the new board are violating Disney’s constitutional and the First Amendment rights, adding that once the “political story” was set, the retaliation only became worse, the lawsuit read.

“Indeed, Governor DeSantis has reaffirmed, again and again, that the State campaign to punish Disney for its speech about House Bill 1557 has been a coordinated and deliberate one from the start,” according to the lawsuit. “Disney’s commentary on House Bill 1557 was, he claimed, a ‘declaration of war’ and ‘a textbook example of when a corporation should stay out of politics.’”

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/...Uh6-azr06cjoaW4017Br06ppDGxkMFGolvFZOLYE

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Only a paranoid syco would think Disney declared war by speaking out on a house bill. What a moroon DeSantis is. He’s making it so easy for the criminal don.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
Only a paranoid syco would think Disney declared war by speaking out on a house bill. What a moroon DeSantis is. He’s making it so easy for the criminal don.

What's really odd is that the republicans want you to think that Corporations are people., Apparently up until a corporation disagrees with a republican

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Now in a world that recognizes Citizen United, and the concept of corporate free speech, Disney just may have a legitimate case.

Unintended consequences…

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
Now in a world that recognizes Citizen United, and the concept of corporate free speech, Disney just may have a legitimate case.

Unintended consequences…

Indeed.
2011. Willard Romney: "Corporations are people, my friend-"

Now, these 'people' are speaking with a megaphone that Citizen's United gave them.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus DeSantis Attack On disney Continues

Link Copied to Clipboard