Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Legend
Legend
Just clicking

Nikki Haley now says Disney should move to SOUTH CAROLINA: 2024 hopeful says her home state would welcome the 70,000 employees - and takes shot at DeSantis by saying she isn't 'sanctimonious'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ki-Haley-says-Disney-SOUTH-CAROLINA.html

Not for noting, but Desantis is foolish how he handled this situation.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: jfanent
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
j/c

DeSantis responds to Disney lawsuit: 'I think it's political'

The Florida governor made the comments while visiting Jerusalem.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Thursday that he doesn't think Disney's lawsuit against him "has merit."

"I think it's political," DeSantis said during a press conference in Jerusalem as he visited Israel.

"Do you want one company to have their own fiefdom, or do you want everyone to live under the same laws?" he added. "The days of putting one company on a pedestal with no accountability are over in the state of Florida."

Disney, the parent company of ABC News, filed a lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida on Wednesday against DeSantis and various state officials over a campaign the company alleges was "patently retaliatory, patently anti-business, and patently unconstitutional."

The lawsuit follows the state oversight board's decision to void "publicly noticed and duly agreed development contracts which had laid the foundation for billions of Disney's investment dollars and thousands of jobs," according to the legal filing. The company's lawsuit called the move "a targeted campaign of government retaliation -- orchestrated at every step by Gov. DeSantis as punishment for Disney's protected speech -- now threatens Disney's business operations, jeopardizes its economic future in the region, and violates its constitutional rights."

DeSantis, who is expected to launch a 2024 presidential campaign in the coming months, embarked on an international trade mission on Monday that will take him to Europe, Asia and the Middle East. He is leading a Florida delegation to Israel, Japan, South Korea and the United Kingdom to meet with government and business leaders.

The Florida governor has been at odds with Disney since the company publicly criticized a DeSantis-backed controversial state law that restricts content concerning sexual orientation and gender identity in grades kindergarten through third grade. The Parental Rights in Education Law has been dubbed by critics as the "Don't Say Gay" law who argue it paints LGBTQ topics as taboo or inappropriate. Meanwhile, supporters of the law say it allows parents to decide what their children can learn about certain subjects.

After DeSantis signed the bill into law in March 2022, Disney released a statement citing concerns of discrimination, saying the legislation "should never have passed and should never have been signed into law." DeSantis has since aimed to take control over Disney's special tax district that allows the Florida theme park and resort to govern itself, according to the company’s lawsuit. The Florida Legislature voted to dissolve the former governing board of the district and create a DeSantis-appointed Central Florida Tourism Oversight District in its place. The board voided a contract made before the CFTOD was in place, according to the lawsuit.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/desantis-...B3aMnHi_i5TS1p2aL_xH98zCPvniHbtSMSQE-XI0

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He's right, it is 100% political. But he is trying to imply that Disney is the one making it political when that is really all on him.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
I don’t think you can just blame the governor for making it political. The Disney execs have misrepresented this bill from the beginning. In doing so they picked a political side. The governor will have to defend his stance in court. Something that I have no idea how it will turn out.

Sorry, this post was meant for Jester, not Pit

Last edited by Pdawg; 04/27/23 02:43 PM.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I'm just curious who you think it is that made railing against the rights of the gay community political? And why do you consider standing up for the rights of all Americans political? And in case you missed it, the only one involved in all this that actually hold any position to use politics as a weapon is DeSantis. So is it your contention that a politician should be able to use his political position of power to use that power against anyone who disagrees with his politics? Because that is what happened here. He made no actions against Disney until they publicly disagreed with his political stance. So people and businesses should fear political punishment by those in power for speaking out in disagreement?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Show me where in the bill he is railing against the rights of gay people. The bill (if I remember correctly) is about talking about sexuality to young kids. That includes heterosexuals. Calling it “Don’t say gay” is disingenuous. Disney took that Democratic talking point and ran with it.

As far as what my contention is… I didn’t state one. He is being sued and will have to defend his actions in court. I have no idea how that will turn out.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Did you realize that bill had been expanded to include through grade 12?

So-called 'Don't Say Gay' rules expanded through 12th grade in Florida

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/called-dont-gay-rules-expanded-12th-grade-florida/story?id=98691183

So making a law where teachers can't discuss anything about being gay shouldn't be called "Don't say Gay"? How would you say that's disingenuous?

Then when you look at DeSantis taking over control of liberal colleges in the state, the picture becomes quite clear....

Gov. DeSantis’ conservative takeover of a liberal arts college could silence diversity, critics say

In January, DeSantis replaced six of the 13 members on the college's board of trustees with conservative allies, including Christopher Rufo, who has fueled the fight against critical race theory. The new board forced out the college's president and appointed DeSantis' ally Richard Corcoran as interim president.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/15/us/desantis-new-college-inclusion-reaj/index.html

It isn't a question of if DeSantis is using his political power as a means to attack those he disagrees with at any level. That part of it is obvious. The questions only end at where and when will this all be stopped and at what point do people stop making silly excuses for it.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Did you realize that bill had been expanded to include through grade 12?

So-called 'Don't Say Gay' rules expanded through 12th grade in Florida

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/called-dont-gay-rules-expanded-12th-grade-florida/story?id=98691183

So making a law where teachers can't discuss anything about being gay shouldn't be called "Don't say Gay"? How would you say that's disingenuous?

Then when you look at DeSantis taking over control of liberal colleges in the state, the picture becomes quite clear....

Gov. DeSantis’ conservative takeover of a liberal arts college could silence diversity, critics say

In January, DeSantis replaced six of the 13 members on the college's board of trustees with conservative allies, including Christopher Rufo, who has fueled the fight against critical race theory. The new board forced out the college's president and appointed DeSantis' ally Richard Corcoran as interim president.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/15/us/desantis-new-college-inclusion-reaj/index.html

It isn't a question of if DeSantis is using his political power as a means to attack those he disagrees with at any level. That part of it is obvious. The questions only end at where and when will this all be stopped and at what point do people stop making silly excuses for it.

If he is just targeting gay people it would be wrong. He isn’t. Outside of sex Ed classes we don’t need teachers discussing this stuff. I believe the bill states that sex Ed is still ok.

The rest of your post has nothing to do with Disney. Since I have an opinion on that I will answer you. I’ll condemn DeSantis when you condemn the countless college boards who push radical political policies on our children. My son had to lie about what he believed to get through college because of the unhinged ultra left wingers that run higher education.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Here's the difference. College "kids" as you put it aren't "kids" at all. They are legal adults. I would love for you to explain what he had to "lie about" to get through college. Do you mean to actually pass a class or graduate? Or do you mean in order to get along with his classmates? And what "radical political policies" do you claim he had to agree with to get through college?

And "the rest of it"? That has to do with pointing out a pattern that DeSantis is using to use is power to punish anyone that holds any liberal beliefs that differ from his own. A huge part of this very discussion. He's done it in other cases just like he is doing with Disney.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I’m not going to go into details because of my son’s privacy. I shouldn’t have mentioned him because I don’t hide my identity on here. I just get pissed when I think about it. I will go as far to say he is a moderate to liberal when it comes to social issues. I can say it was to pass multiple classes.

I don’t give a crap about DeSantis. I take issue with Disney and those who misrepresented this bill. I voted for Biden as a vote against Trump and will probably have to do it again. My primary vote as of now is going to Nikki Haley. That might change as well.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
For me it's not about DeSantis or Disney per say. It's about the precedent it sets and wondering if he'll get away with it. And if he does, where will it all end?

Thanks for your reply concerning your son. I don't blame you for not getting into personal details on the internet.

I think we may be more alike than you think we are. If we are left with a choice between Biden and trump I will probably have to hold my nose ad vote Biden again and that sucks. Both parties should be doing better in giving us practical choices than the same clusterf.... they gave us in 2020.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
P it just doesn't matter,,, DeSantis signed a bill, Disney objected to it.. DeSantis took offense to their objection and then he turned it into a pissing contest.

So when it comes to who made it political, it was clearly DeSantis. He's as big a baby as Trump.. Cry Baby brothers. You can spin it anyway you want, doesn't change who was political.

As for Disney, They voiced a objection, that's it. It could have ended there if not for the Cry Baby

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
1 member likes this: Jester
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Damanshot
P it just doesn't matter,,, DeSantis signed a bill, Disney objected to it.. DeSantis took offense to their objection and then he turned it into a pissing contest.

So when it comes to who made it political, it was clearly DeSantis. He's as big a baby as Trump.. Cry Baby brothers. You can spin it anyway you want, doesn't change who was political.

As for Disney, They voiced an objection, that's it. It could have ended there if not for the Cry Baby

Freedom of speech is dead because of Goper BS like this.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
V
Legend
Legend
V
DeSantis is facing a tough battle with Woke Disney. I wish him luck and I admire his courage in fighting the good fight, though. Disney had absolutely no business opposing the Parental Rights in Education Act that he signed into law. There is no reason to indoctrinate that type of talk into grades K through 3. Disney's political stances are out of line. Not long ago, Liz Thomas, the transgender swimmer, was celebrated by ESPN [owned by Disney] during Women's History month. Folks can be folks, but we don't need Disney forcing this stuff down our throats.

Last edited by Versatile Dog; 05/06/23 02:10 PM.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
You must have forgotten that the SCOTUS says corporations are people too. That's the funny thing about people. They love something until it turns around and bites them in the ass. Then? They claim it's offensive and wrong. As I said in another post, it's no wonder the right isn't using the terms snowflake and cancel culture like they used to.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Disney has the right to freedom of speech, and ultimately will likely prevail in its suit.

It is not a good fight in my view. It is mean spirited, vindictive, and a culture war issue.

No one is forcing you to buy anything from Disney.

I have stated my views on the transgender issue elsewhere.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

V
Legend
Legend
V
Disney executive who is the mother of a transgender and a pansexual child says she wants at least half of ALL future characters to be LGBTQIA or racial minorities: Theme parks are now banned from saying 'hello boys and girls'

From this article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...l-children-wants-diverse-characters.html

Okay. Fine. Still not sure why K-3 students need to learn about transgenders. I agree w/DeSantis that forcing one's sexual preferences on others is not something we need in our schools.

V
Legend
Legend
V
For the record, I was opposed to Character Education being taught in schools. I think wise teachers can provide guidance on making sound character decisions, but I don't think it should be part of the actual curriculum. I remember thinking that I did not want my children exposed to some wild talk from some fire and brimstone Baptist. Creating an environment of acceptance and tolerance is a good thing. Making them part of the curriculum is something I do not agree with. I understand that position is quickly ridiculed by the extremists on both sides, but I am going to give my opinion whether they like it or not.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Anyone that knows anything about hiring practices knows that quotas such as the one described are discriminatory in nature.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

V
Legend
Legend
V
More about the "why" of it.

Disney heir comes out publicly as transgender, condemns anti-LGBTQ bills

Charlee Corra, a high school science teacher, regrets not having done more to advocate against Florida’s bill limiting LGBTQ classroom discussion.

April 11, 2022, 3:07 PM EDT
By Jo Yurcaba

Charlee Corra, a member of the Disney family, came out publicly as transgender and condemned anti-LGBTQ bills in a recent interview.

Corra, who uses "he" and "they" pronouns, announced that their family would match up to $250,000 in donations to the Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest LGBTQ advocacy group, during the organization's annual gala in Los Angeles last month.

Roy P. Disney, Corra's stepfather and the grandson of Roy O. Disney, a co-founder of The Walt Disney Company, upped that amount to $500,000 last week.

“Equality matters deeply to us,” Disney said in a statement, according to the Los Angeles Times, “especially because our child, Charlee, is transgender and a proud member of the LGBTQ+ community.”

Florida governor DeSantis targets Disney over 'Don't Say Gay' law
APRIL 4, 202202:41
Disney also said the family was "heartbroken" when Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed the Parental Rights in Education Act, which critics have dubbed the "Don't Say Gay or Trans" bill because it prohibits classroom instruction of sexual orientation or gender identity with students in grades K-3 or in a way deemed developmentally or age inappropriate.

Corra, a high school biology and environmental science teacher, told the L.A. Times that the HRC gala was sort of a public coming out for them, since they had come out privately as trans four years ago.

Corra, who has been widely referred to as Charlee Disney in news reports, said that even though they have a lot of support and privilege, their journey has been difficult.

“I had very few openly gay role models,” Corra, 30, said. “And I certainly didn’t have any trans or nonbinary role models. I didn’t see myself reflected in anyone, and that made me feel like there was something wrong with me.”

Corra, who told the Times that they don't have much experience with public speaking or advocacy, lamented that they "don't do very much to help."

“I don’t call senators or take action," they said. "I felt like I could be doing more.”

They condemned anti-LGBTQ bills, and noted that LGBTQ kids already deal with higher rates of depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts and bullying.

OUT NEWS
Gay fans who want to visit Disney say DeSantis' policies loom over 'the happiest place on earth'
“Then to put something like this law on top of that? They can’t learn about their community and their history at school, or play sports or use the bathroom they want to use?” they told the L.A. Times.

The Walt Disney Co. came under fire after The Orlando Sentinel reported in February that the company had donated to every sponsor and co-sponsor of the Parental Rights in Education bill. Bob Chapek, Disney's CEO, said in a staff email last month that he and the company’s leadership “unequivocally stand” with LGBTQ employees, but he didn’t condemn the bill, arguing that corporate statements “do very little to change outcomes or minds,” CNN reported.

On March 11, after criticism from employees internally, Chapek announced that the company would pause all political donations in Florida and apologized for his first statement in a letter published on Disney’s website.

“It is clear that this is not just an issue about a bill in Florida, but instead yet another challenge to basic human rights,” he wrote. “You needed me to be a stronger ally in the fight for equal rights and I let you down. I am sorry.”

Roy P. Disney said his family wanted to make a donation in part because the Human Rights Campaign refused to accept a $5 million donation announced by Chapek last month. Joni Madison, the group’s interim president, said that HRC wants to see Disney “build on their public commitment and work with LGBTQ+ advocates to ensure that dangerous proposals, like Florida’s ‘Don’t Say Gay or Trans’ bill, don’t become dangerous laws, and if they do, to work to get them off the books.”

Sheri Disney, Charlee's mother, said the matching donation was meant to remind people that LGBTQ children need support.

“I have a trans kid, and I love my kid no matter what,” she told the L.A. Times.

CORRECTION (April 11, 2022, 2:15 p.m. ET) A previous version of this article misstated the surname of a Disney family member. Their name is Charlee Corra, not Charlee Disney.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out...nder-condemns-anti-lgbtq-bills-rcna23888

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It is called Freedom of Speech, and is protected, just as yours and mine.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I did not even make a comment on it. I'm permitted to post articles and opinions even if they upset you. Look man.....I don't care for you and have no interest in discussing things w/you. You can honor that or continue to follow me around like Pit and 888 do and challenge everything I say, even if you have to fabricate something I never even said. Your choice.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
You made your intentions were made known when you started with Woke Disney

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
Disney executive who is the mother of a transgender and a pansexual child says she wants at least half of ALL future characters to be LGBTQIA or racial minorities: Theme parks are now banned from saying 'hello boys and girls'

From this article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...l-children-wants-diverse-characters.html

Okay. Fine. Still not sure why K-3 students need to learn about transgenders. I agree w/DeSantis that forcing one's sexual preferences on others is not something we need in our schools.

100%

There seems to be some constant tug-of-war to remove any semblance of power from parents and entrust it with the woke state.

I didn't even trust anyone but family to babysit until my kids were about 10-12... Why would it be okay for a state sponsored shill to teach them about sex... and try to beat their agenda of endless genders and pronouns into their heads... at 6, 7, and 8??

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
V
Legend
Legend
V
It's ironic that the same people griping about the Ten Commandments being posted in school are defending Disney's attack on Florida's law. Don't get me wrong, I don't think the Ten Commandments should be posted in the schools, but teaching this stuff to K-3rd graders is also unacceptable.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The problem with this discussion is that there are 2 different issues being discussed.

You are discussing whether or not you agree with what Disney said.
Others are discussing their right to say it without being persecuted by the government for saying it.

This is the basic principle of the 1st amendment.
We don't have to like what someone says, but just because we don't like it doesn't give the government the right persecute you for it. That is exactly what DeSantis is doing. And that is exactly what censorship is.

1 member likes this: mgh888
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FATE

100%

There seems to be some constant tug-of-war to remove any semblance of power from parents and entrust it with the woke state.

I didn't even trust anyone but family to babysit until my kids were about 10-12... Why would it be okay for a state sponsored shill to teach them about sex... and try to beat their agenda of endless genders and pronouns into their heads... at 6, 7, and 8??

I have seen statements made repeatedly about "teaching" kids K-3rd grade - 6,7,8 years old - about sexuality. . . . but I don't believe that was the case, and never was. It is not part of a curriculum - it is not "taught" - I believe there might be literally a handful of cases where teachers have been reprimanded or called out for discussing the subject.

Maybe it's a minor detail or doesn't matter to some. But repeating statements as if this was a wide spread school activity by Woke teachers is misleading.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
V
Legend
Legend
V
They can say what they want. I am not insinuating that there should not be freedom of speech. I'm saying that the law was passed legally and I support DeSantis defending his legislation against those who attack him.

My stance on these issues is solid, unlike certain members of the Left who change their opinions depending upon which side is saying what. I agreed that the Ten Commandments not be posted in schools. I said I don't think Character Education should be part of the curriculum. No one fights those stances, but dare anyone say anything negative about sexuality being taught to young children and the Woke get upset. More hypocrisy from the left.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think that there should be a minimum age to discuss sexuality in the schools.
I am not a parent nor a teacher so I don't have a good idea what that age should be, so I won't comment on it.

Florida passed a law legally - we agree on that
Where we disagree is:

1, You think Disney attacked desantis, I think they criticized him and his legislation
2, You think desantis is defending his legislation, I think he is ruthlessly attacking disney in retribution for stating their opinion

V
Legend
Legend
V
I think the words "attack" and "attacking" are subjective in regards to one's beliefs. I really don't think each side is attacking one another. I think they both have their beliefs and are actively defending them. Personally, I agree w/DeSantis on the legislation. That doesn't mean I'm right. We just disagree on this particular topic. I'm fine w/that.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

Who is forcing anyone to be transexual? And it appears you haven't been keeping up...........

Florida Board of Education approves ‘Don’t Say Gay’ expansion

The change would ban lessons about sexual orientation and gender identity in grades K-12.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out...on-requested-desantis-approved-rcna80467

You used the opinion of one Disney executive to try and portray Disney's stand on the matter.

One has to wonder who the extremists really are. And others will give their opinions whether you like it or not as well.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I did not even make a comment on it. I'm permitted to post articles and opinions even if they upset you. Look man.....I don't care for you and have no interest in discussing things w/you. You can honor that or continue to follow me around like Pit and 888 do and challenge everything I say, even if you have to fabricate something I never even said. Your choice.

Aw, obviously you don't like how message boards work. When someone posts an opinion or a source, people that disagree post opposing opinions and sources. Your choice? Ignore anything that opposes your opinion. Claim they're the one with the problem. Sorry, if you're going to post here people you don't like or refuse to debate with will respond in kind. You don't get special privileges.

The Citizens United Supreme Court ruling stated that corporations are people. That they can contribute as much as they like to political candidates and causes. That's exactly what Disney did here whether you like the cause or not. That is protected under law. DeSantis in turn used his political power to punish them for it. That's the part you're ignoring in all of this. You seem to try and excuse DeSantis for using his political power to "punish a person" for speaking and exercising their rights under the law. That's the actual bottom line in all of this.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888
Originally Posted by FATE

100%

I have seen statements made repeatedly about "teaching" kids K-3rd grade - 6,7,8 years old - about sexuality. . . . but I don't believe that was the case, and never was. It is not part of a curriculum - it is not "taught" - I believe there might be literally a handful of cases where teachers have been reprimanded or called out for discussing the subject.

Maybe it's a minor detail or doesn't matter to some. But repeating statements as if this was a wide spread school activity by Woke teachers is misleading.

Please explain. I'm really interested in knowing how I was "repeating statements as if this was a wide spread school activity by Woke teachers".

After you answer that, understand the "tug-of-war" idea and how that might work if you were a concerned parent. IF you feel like the curriculum is off the tracks AND you're fighting back... aren't you going to bring into focus a host of things you find unacceptable even if they aren't, as you say, "widespread"? I mean, if there are couple stabbings at your local mall, they're not just going to outlaw knives; they're probably going to outlaw other weapons... and make a few other rules as well. I think maybe you're seeing the same kind of foresight with many parents seeing things that maybe aren't taking place at their school, but they've seen at others.

With that word salad out, I'll say this. I really don't care if it's happening all over the states or not. The litmus test for me is that nearlyeveryone on the left is still toeing the line saying it is entirely acceptable. At that point, does "widespread" really matter?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
V
Legend
Legend
V
I truly wish the moderators on this board would put a rule in place that disallows the intentionally misrepresentation of what others are saying. It's obvious that certain posters make a daily habit out of this practice to steer the conversation in another direction and to get others to believe that was the original poster's intent. It's a low-character act that does not belong in open forums. State your opinion and disagree all you want. However, to deliberately lie about what one's message is and sneakily twist the words around is harmful, counterproductive, manipulative, dishonest, and a detriment to honest conversation. Most of us know that only a couple of posters resort to that particular type of posting. It should not be too hard to contain. I guarantee that honest conversation would improve if they were not permitted to continue w/such underhanded tactics. We don't have to agree on subjects to have a decent discussion. Opposing opinions are a good things. Lies and deceit intended to stifle the opinions of others is not.

V
Legend
Legend
V
I want to clarify something. The actual name of DeSantis legislation is the Parental Rights in Education Act. The Left is the one who came up w/the name "Don’t Say Gay" in a dishonest attempt to throw shade at the legislation. I actually posted the name of the legislation earlier even if some want to ignore it.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
The answer here is quite simple as it has been all along. There is no need for "a war against woke". As has been shown, the goal all along, and has now been accomplished, was to have all children grades k-12 not be taught anything about the gay or trans community. Yet it is a fact of life and they do live among other people. No different really than any other group.

What happens when you ban something from being taught, or even talked about in schools, is that not only have you made your choice that your children not be taught about it, but you've taken away the rights and choices of other parents that do want their children educated about it. At that point it's not about it being a choice. It's about making it a moral mandate for everyone.

A common sense solution is making such classes as this and CRT electives. There are often seven or eight periods in a school day. Some of the classes students take are elective classes which are optional courses not required to graduate. Classes such as music classes, shop classes, home economic classes and so on. At least where I went to school, and there's no reason why this couldn't be done, is the parents have to sign off to approve their children's school class schedule.

That's what choice looks like. That's what not having your children taught classes you don't approve of looks like. That's not what's going on here.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I want to clarify something. The actual name of DeSantis legislation is the Parental Rights in Education Act. The Left is the one who came up w/the name "Don’t Say Gay" in a dishonest attempt to throw shade at the legislation. I actually posted the name of the legislation earlier even if some want to ignore it.

Yes DeSantis tried hiding the intent of his actions with a clever name. That was no less disingenuous than what you accused the left of doing.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
There is no reason to indoctrinate that type of talk into grades K through 3.

but I don't think it should be part of the actual curriculum. Making them part of the curriculum is something I do not agree with.

but dare anyone say anything negative about sexuality being taught to young children and the Woke get upset.

There is no misrepresenting on what you said and what you implied. That's just your standard deflection instead of owning what you said and write - repeatedly in black and white. You claim others are liars when they repeat or clarify what you put into words on this very board. You do it endlessly. This is as clear as an example as there is.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Fate - you said something about teaching kids sexuality once, the other 4 examples all imply that this is curriculum and being actively taught. Sorry if you felt I was taking your one statement out of context.

I don't know about the "Left" - but I don't agree with sexuality being "taught" or discussed in a classroom for kids K-3rd grade. I don't know who is advocating for it, but I know Desantis's bill has been expanded to include much older age ranges now. I don't know what the right age would be to discuss this at school- maybe 10. Raising kids in 2023 - I'd say it's not unlikely that kids at 10 today are as "worldly" as a 13 year old kid growing up in the 80's. They know much more than we ever did at a comparative age. I'm not saying it's right - I am saying it's just fact. From exposure to kids with older siblings, bus rides, talk in the play ground ... it is just how it is. And to take it even further I don't know that it should be "taught" as part of curriculum at ages below 13 - but I think there probably needs to be some awareness and ability for kids to come forward and if they want to discuss the topic(s) in school or in a class if THEY want to. I would imagine having some sort of outlet to discuss it might be important for any kid who feels different.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus DeSantis Attack On disney Continues

Link Copied to Clipboard