Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
The answer here is quite simple as it has been all along. There is no need for "a war against woke". As has been shown, the goal all along, and has now been accomplished, was to have all children grades k-12 not be taught anything about the gay or trans community. Yet it is a fact of life and they do live among other people. No different really than any other group.

What happens when you ban something from being taught, or even talked about in schools, is that not only have you made your choice that your children not be taught about it, but you've taken away the rights and choices of other parents that do want their children educated about it. At that point it's not about it being a choice. It's about making it a moral mandate for everyone.

A common sense solution is making such classes as this and CRT electives. There are often seven or eight periods in a school day. Some of the classes students take are elective classes which are optional courses not required to graduate. Classes such as music classes, shop classes, home economic classes and so on. At least where I went to school, and there's no reason why this couldn't be done, is the parents have to sign off to approve their children's school class schedule.

That's what choice looks like. That's what not having your children taught classes you don't approve of looks like. That's not what's going on here.

The fake outrage over "don't say gay" is a constant exercise in exaggeration. The bill has always been about K-3, don't know what you're talking about with K-12. That's simply a false narrative.

Then we go "snowflake"... The poor kids will never learn about all 75 genders if we don't teach them about them in kindergarten?? GTHOH. Parents can teach their kids anything they want, or is that too heavy a burden for today's parent? No one's being "cheated" if they're not being taught to question their own gender before they can tie their shoes. This whole discussion should be in a fairytale fictional follow up to 1984.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: Versatile Dog, jfanent
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Parents and governments have been struggling with the content of public school education since public education started. This is just the latest topic in a long list of issues. Some of the prior issues

Prayer
Evolution versus intelligent design
Sex ed
Book banning

All of these topic generally involve exposure, with the underlying issue of what should be taught in school. Sex ed was a hot topic at one point in time with those against fearful that it would encourage such activity among those being informed. That is most likely perception versus reality. But here is the underlying issue. Those who are against exposure are more likely not to educate the child if the responsibility was taken out of the school.

I think there should be a balance and providing the accurate information is important. Yes there is sex in the world. Yes there are children with two parents that are the same sex, and that is a thing.

Being pragmatic and realistic about these issues is more appropriate than wishing them away. If the parent feels so strongly about the exposure, they may better off with home schooling.

Normally helicopter parenting is view in a liberal light but I will suggest that this is the conservative variant. But this is also about the educational needs of all children versus your child and should the basis of content should be based on what is best for all.

Watch an old school movie called Future Shock” from the 1970’s with Orsen Wells for some dated perspective.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FATE
The fake outrage over "don't say gay" is a constant exercise in exaggeration. The bill has always been about K-3, don't know what you're talking about with K-12. That's simply a false narrative.

What part of this are you having trouble understanding...

Florida Board of Education expands ‘Don’t Say Gay’ classroom ban to all grades

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politi...dont-say-gay-classroom-ban-to-all-grades

It has most certainly been expanded through grade 12. How is an actual law expanding the law through grade 12 a false narrative? That was the goal from the very beginning.

And if you're going to talk about a false narrative, let's do that.

Where was any of this being taught in grades k-3 in Florida prior to that legislation? You seem to fail to understand that DeSantis decided to make it appear like this was something that was going on that needed to be stopped. When in fact it wasn't happening at all. It was a false flag and designed to make it sound like there was an issue that simply didn't exist to begin with.

Then we go "snowflake"... The poor kids will never learn about all 75 genders if we don't teach them about them in kindergarten?? GTHOH. Parents can teach their kids anything they want, or is that too heavy a burden for today's parent? No one's being "cheated" if they're not being taught to question their own gender before they can tie their shoes. This whole discussion should be in a fairytale fictional follow up to 1984.

Who said anyone wanted to teach them to question their own gender? So then you yourself paint a false narrative and expect people to just buy into it while you accuse others of creating a false narrative? Once again, nobody was teaching k-3 about transgenders or the gay lifestyle. Yet obviously he did create a false sense of outrage by people such as yourself as though it was actually happening and the poor children needed to be protected from it.

And yet again you think the choice of some parents should be inflicted on everyone. Who is the snowflake here?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
As I stated before, you could make such things an elective class that would give parents the choice of whether their children learn about such things or not. It's not that difficult. But then as we can see that isn't acceptable because that wouldn't allow some people to inflict their beliefs on everyone else. That would be at the high school level.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
expanding the law critics call “Don’t Say Gay” - from your article.

And, also from your article: "The rule change would ban lessons on sexual orientation and gender identity from grades 4-12, unless required by existing state standards or as part of reproductive health instruction that students can choose not to take. Florida currently bans such lessons in kindergarten through third grade."

So, it appears they did exactly what you want? From your opinion: "As I stated before, you could make such things an elective class that would give parents the choice of whether their children learn about such things or not"

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I guess that would depend on whether such things are "required by existing state standards or as part of reproductive health instruction" currently. Something it doesn't say.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
I guess that would depend on whether such things are "required by existing state standards or as part of reproductive health instruction" currently. Something it doesn't say.

Just quit. I quoted the part you agreed would be fine. " "The rule change would ban lessons on sexual orientation and gender identity from grades 4-12, unless required by existing state standards or as part of reproductive health instruction that students can choose not to take."

Your quote: "As I stated before, you could make such things an elective class that would give parents the choice of whether their children learn about such things or not. It's not that difficult."

Correct, it's not that difficult, and apparently is in the bill. You got what you endorsed, but now you're moving the goalposts again?

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
But the law does not say that it will be taught in schools. What it does is give schools the option of teaching it. There is nothing that states it must be an option for Florida students in all Florida schools. I understand you can't see the difference there. Unless of course you can point to any state laws in Florida that "require by existing state standards " that it be taught or be required to be a part of reproductive health instruction.

That most certainly doesn't give parents a choice of their children learning about it if there is no requirement to teach it in the first place. In order for parents to have a choice whether this is taught to their children would require it has being a choice that's available to them.

Unless you can point to a Florida law that requires such matters to be taught or show that a local school system can elect not to make such lessons a part of their instructional learning in reproductive health, it's nothing more than an opt out clause which allows schools to omit it being taught at all.

That does not address this at all... "As I stated before, you could make such things an elective class that would give parents the choice of whether their children learn about such things or not. It's not that difficult."

It's not me moving the goalpost here. It's you claiming the law gives all parents in Florida the option of their children having an actual choice in the matter. It certainly does not.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
This post is just more proof that you are here to argue. Period.

S
All Pro
All Pro
S

I would say that gay sexual orientation is not covered under reproductive health since gay sex cannot result in reproduction. I guess it is not a huge problem since kids are going to understand what gay means since it is part of our culture, but I see no problem with having some material about gay sex in school. Some of these students are going to be gay, after all.

I think we really need to separate the trans stuff from the gay stuff in this. Most people were doing okay with the gay stuff until the trans stuff started to show up more recently. I am certainly okay with it being part of everyday discussions in school.

But, I personally, do not want them teaching this gender identity stuff in school. I consider a persons gender identity and their concept of gender identity to be entirely imaginary. I see no basis in reality for any of it, so it does not belong in school. The consequence of this that I have seen is that we are having an explosion in changing identities among teenagers and some even take imaginary identities to a new level. In our local high school, we now have two kids that identify as "furries". They are disrupting their classes by being allowed to meow and purr. The school had to put litter boxes in the bathroom. Of course, any sane person knows that teenagers will do things like this to get attention or just for the fun of being disruptive, but this is the type of giant absurdity that can arise out of teaching children that imaginary identities are normal and acceptable.

F
Legend
Legend
F
I think some need to actually read the bill, it is more about parents being informed of these topics before they are presented in an unstructured manner.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557/BillText/er/PDF

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
1 member likes this: Versatile Dog
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by FloridaFan
I think some need to actually read the bill, it is more about parents being informed of these topics before they are presented in an unstructured manner.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2022/1557/BillText/er/PDF

That's asking a lot when people can simply regurgitate phrases spoon fed to them in the media like parrots.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Versatile Dog
They can say what they want. I am not insinuating that there should not be freedom of speech. I'm saying that the law was passed legally and I support DeSantis defending his legislation against those who attack him.

My stance on these issues is solid, unlike certain members of the Left who change their opinions depending upon which side is saying what. I agreed that the Ten Commandments not be posted in schools. I said I don't think Character Education should be part of the curriculum. No one fights those stances, but dare anyone say anything negative about sexuality being taught to young children and the Woke get upset. More hypocrisy from the left.

You support him defending his legislation, but do you support him Attacking his critics? That's the definition of Anti-Free Speech.

Not for nothing, but I was watching HGTV yesterday,, some interesting shows there. Anyway, I saw two ads for DeSantis for President 2024.. Anyone else seeing these ads

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
V
Legend
Legend
V
I never once said anything about limiting free speech. That is something Pit made up to slander my name. He does it all the time. Just like he made this comment on page 3 to me: "Who is forcing anyone to be transexual?" I never came close to making such an outrageous claim. This is the danger that exists when someone lacks enough integrity to know it's wrong to slander people.

I said that I supported DeSantis legislative bill. The left dubbed it the "Don't Say Gay bill." More blasphemy. The name of the bill is the "Parental Rights in Education."

And again, I have been very consistent on these subjects. I opposed Character Education, the Ten Commandments in schools, and now the gender thing in K-3.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I agree w/DeSantis that forcing one's sexual preferences on others is not something we need in our schools.

Then what does this mean? You stated plainly that they were "forcing one's sexual preferences on others". Informing people about the trans community isn't forcing their sexual preference on anyone.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
This post is just more proof that you are here to argue. Period.

This post shows you obviously wish to dismiss opposing views by trying to undermine the poster rather than engage in debate.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Ha - I just realized that someone claimed others were lying about what they actually said. I cut and paste the quotes of said poster to show that no-one did any such thing.

Same poster then started talking about the board not protecting him from slander - that said poster said they were going to keep all the slanderous posts and find someone that might do something about it.

Poof - all gone. Now poster is talking about slander again .... on an anonymous chat board. Pretty unbelievable if you ask me. But then see my signature.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I never once said anything about limiting free speech. That is something Pit made up to slander my name.

More lies to undermine people who disagree with you. Typical by some of you.

What I did was explain a Supreme Court ruling, Citizens United which ruled that corporations were people and as such had free speech to speak out and fund political issues. What you are doing by supporting DeSantis political attack on Disney is approving of politicians using their power to punish Disney for exercising their constitutional rights. That is approving that Florida has the right to punish Disney for exercising free speech. You call that "standing up to them."

When it comes to the Ten commandments. The constitution also guarantees freedom of religion. Not that the teachings or scripture from a book that represents the Christian religion be placed above all others.

Try telling the truth for a change.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
He has been persecuted and singled out by the powers that be around here for years with a set of double standards. Just ask him.

#gmstrong
V
Legend
Legend
V
DeSantis is contemplating making a run at the presidency. The battle w/Disney will probably hurt him due to all the clout they have. However, he served in the military and was deployed to Iraq in 2007. He worked his way through college and law school. He attended Yale. He's battled the establishment and the woke agenda. He's beat them at times. I think he is more likely to stand up for the rights of most Americans than anyone else. Hopefully, he is smarter than Trump in that he makes sure he is clear about that White Supremacy is a bad thing. The heart of America does not like extremists. I would have to learn more about him, but at this point, I I would vote for him over Trump or Biden. I admire his courage for standing strong in his beliefs of protecting our children from the madness of the day.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
It appears you also approve of him using his political power against a corporation exercising their rights as the Supreme Court ruled. But I guess whatever it takes in a "war against the woke".

#gmstrong
J
Legend
Legend
J
I’ll just add this to the discussion, and the vast majority won’t care. Before Trump and his followers got so powerful, people were starting to treat people like me with a bit of, if not respect, just leaving us alone. That has changed big time. As many people know on the board, I was never a democrat fan, but this new wave of the the right behaving the way they are, is affecting those of us who are just trying to live our lives. I know most don’t care, because it doesn’t affect them. But, I will tell you all, things have have changed for some us.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by JulesDawg
I’ll just add this to the discussion, and the vast majority won’t care. Before Trump and his followers got so powerful, people were starting to treat people like me with a bit of, if not respect, just leaving us alone. That has changed big time. As many people know on the board, I was never a democrat fan, but this new wave of the the right behaving the way they are, is affecting those of us who are just trying to live our lives. I know most don’t care, because it doesn’t affect them. But, I will tell you all, things have have changed for some us.

Jules....you know I like you and I know you like me.

I think most left you alone and decided that love is good, no matter where you find it.

This trans crap isn't about love. I regret that you may be drawn back in to that. They are different issues.

I will say it bothers me you don't see heterosexuals kissing in commercials but see homosexuals kissing all the time. I don't want to see anybody kissing in commercials.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

As you can see by the reply, some people just don't get it. They just can't grasp that what's going on in Florida is just a part of legitimizing the hate of people different than themselves. Legitimizing that it's okay for politicians to use their political power and even go as far to create laws to punish those who they find offensive to "The American way of life". And it's sad. There was a time in my life I may very well not have felt this way. But as time has gone on and after meeting people that I am fortunate enough they came into my life, I have grown past that and realize that no group of people should be a target and all everyone wants to do is live their life and be treated as equal to everyone else. And you were a part of that. Thank you.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
And liberals are called snowflakes….Lol… eww they’re kissing on the lips now. Ewwww. How disgusting. Ewwww. I can’t watch. Ewwww where’s my remote. I hate this channel now. Ewww I hate everything liberal now. Lol

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Disney’s Iger asks Florida: ‘Does the state want us to invest more…or not?’

Alexis Keenan and Alexandra Canal
Wed, May 10, 2023 at 7:22 PM EDT·3 min read

Disney (DIS) CEO Bob Iger had a question for Florida Wednesday as he discussed the company’s ongoing legal feud with Governor Ron DeSantis.

"Does the state want us to invest more, employ more people, and pay more taxes, or not?" he said on Disney’s first-quarter conference call.

The comments were a reference to plans the company had to invest more than $17 billion over the next decade in its Walt Disney World resort, creating 13,000 jobs. That, he said, “is what the state should want us to do.”

Instead, the company says those plans are stymied by a dispute that began last year when Disney opposed a state parental rights bill that prohibited educators from leading classroom instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity for students in kindergarten through third grade.

Florida stripped the company of power it held for 55 years to self-govern a special tax district that houses Walt Disney World and roughly 25,000 acres surrounding it, spawning dueling lawsuits in different courts.

Disney’s suit alleges the state punished the company for its stance on the parental rights bill, thus violating Disney’s constitutional rights.

Iger reiterated that point Wednesday.

“This is about one thing and one thing only,” he said, “and that's retaliating against us for taking a position about pending legislation. And we believe that in us taking that position, we are merely exercising our right to free speech."

Bob Iger spoke to analysts Wednesday about Disney's dispute with the state of Florida. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)
Iger also tried to dispel theories that Disney used litigation to preserve tax benefits for the entertainment giant.

"There's also a false narrative that we've been fighting to protect tax breaks as part of this,” he said. “But in fact, we're the largest taxpayer in central Florida, paying over $1.1 billion in state and local taxes last year alone. And we pay more taxes, specifically more real estate taxes as a result of that special district," he said.

"We're not the only company operating a special district," Iger said, noting that 2,000 such districts exist in the state. "The Daytona Speedway, it has one. So do The Villages, which is a prominent retirement community, and there are countless others."

Disney's district is one of six special districts approved prior to Florida's adoption of its 1968 Constitution, and as a result is subject to less stringent rules.

“We never wanted…and we certainly never expected to be in the position of having to defend our business interests in federal court,” he added. “Particularly having such a terrific relationship with the state, as we've had for more than 50 years.”

DeSantis and the state legislature passed a series of laws over the last year that are at issue. One signed last Friday allows a board that the governor appointed to oversee the special tax district to retroactively cancel land development contracts approved by a prior Disney-controlled board.

Disney amended its federal suit to reference that latest piece of legislation.

In response, DeSantis' office told Yahoo Finance, "Development agreements, as creations of state law, are plainly subject to revocation by subsequently enacted state law."

"Disney’s latest move is yet another desperate attempt to maintain their special privileges and ignore the will of Floridians as expressed through their duly elected representatives. Disney should accept that it must live under the same rules as everyone else."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/disn...t-us-to-invest-moreor-not-232227338.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Jester
"There's also a false narrative that we've been fighting to protect tax breaks as part of this,” he said. “But in fact, we're the largest taxpayer in central Florida, paying over $1.1 billion in state and local taxes last year alone. And we pay more taxes, specifically more real estate taxes as a result of that special district," he said.

"We're not the only company operating a special district," Iger said, noting that 2,000 such districts exist in the state. "The Daytona Speedway, it has one. So do The Villages, which is a prominent retirement community, and there are countless others."

"Disney’s latest move is yet another desperate attempt to maintain their special privileges and ignore the will of Floridians as expressed through their duly elected representatives. Disney should accept that it must live under the same rules as everyone else."

Please let us know when you decide to hold the other 1999 to the same standard. I mean since it's the same rules as everyone else and all.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Florida teacher under investigation after showing Disney movie Strange World to fifth-grade class
William Clayton
Sun, May 14, 2023 at 5:21 PM EDT·4 min read

A Florida fifth-grade teacher is under investigation by the state Department of Education for “inappropriate conduct” after showing her fifth-grade class Disney’s 2022 animated movie Strange World.

The decision to show the film as a “brain break” followed a rigorous morning of standardized testing.

The movie features an openly gay character named Ethan and explores a romantic side plot between Ethan and his crush, Diazo.

Barbee took to TikTok to defend her choice, stating that she selected the film because it aligned with the class’s curriculum, which currently focuses on ecosystems. While she emphasized that the LGBTQ+ element was not the primary reason for showing the movie, she described it as “harmless.”

According to Barbee, she was reported to the state by a school board member who has been actively opposing any form of representation in schools. Notably, the board member’s daughter was present in the classroom during the screening of Strange World.

Barbee’s friend, Carl Zee, shared a tweet on May 11 displaying a letter from the Florida Department for Education, indicating that the teacher is under investigation for “inappropriate conduct.”

The letter instructed potential witnesses or individuals possessing relevant documents to submit them to the designated office within two weeks.

Barbee expressed her students’ surprise in a TikTok on May 13, upon realizing the significance attached to the incident.

“They didn’t even know this was a big deal until the board member and the state made it a big deal,” she stated in her 6-minute video.

She stated that she had permission slips for PG movies from Disney signed by each of the student’s parents.

Questioning the motive behind the investigation, Barbee raised concerns about the message it conveys to the students. “They’re using it against me, saying they’re ‘protecting the children’ and it’s for their safety. But what is this actually showing them?” she pondered.

Barbee further claimed that the investigation is proving to be more “traumatizing” for the youngsters than the film itself.

“But the minor representations, that have nothing to do with the movie, are such a big deal that now admin in is in their room, pulling their teacher out, calling the students one by one down to the office to interrogate them in the middle of my lessons,” she said.

Barbee revealed that some of her students told her they were members of the LGBTQ+ community prior to the movie screening.

Barbee said: “For those of you who are throwing hate my way without knowing me or my true intentions, you may learn a thing or two from that movie. Follow your heart, find the compassion, find the kindness. It’s the key to a better positive life.”

@becomingabetterbarbee I am the teacher. Here is the truth. #indoctrination #disneymovie #disney #strangeworld #viraltweet ♬ original sound - Jenna Lynn
Following the circulation of Barbee’s video and the letter on Twitter, numerous individuals have called on Disney to support the teacher by providing financial or legal assistance.

This investigation occurs amidst Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’ efforts to crackdown on LGBTQ+ issues, stemming from his controversial ‘Don’t Say Gay’ bill.

The law prohibits classroom discussions related to gender and sexuality and has been expanded to encompass all grades in the state. Activists have criticized the legislation for its vagueness, suggesting that virtually anything could be perceived as a breach, potentially causing teachers to censor themselves and effectively suppress important conversations.

Several additional laws have been introduced, such as restrictions on abortion, several book bans, enabling medical discrimination, and banning discussions on gender identity.

Equality Florida issued a travel advisory for the LGBTQ+ community on April 12 warning members not to come to the state.

Observers note that DeSantis appears to be positioning himself for a 2024 presidential run.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/florida-teacher-under-investigation-showing-212116279.html

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend

Do we ever agree on much? Nope. But on this, I think we do or at least may agree.

My wife and I will celebrate 37 years married this Wednesday.. 43 together.. We have what I would call, true love. I know for sure that's hard to find and if you do, hang on to it for dear life. Gender be damned.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
1 member likes this: Jester
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Oh dear Lord. What won't these zealots do to impose their religious morality upon society and who won't they attack in order to accomplish it?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Oh dear Lord. What won't these zealots do to impose their religious morality upon society and who won't they attack in order to accomplish it?

That's the word I was trying to think of,, Impose. Not only religions but politics.

Peen and I once had a discussion, more of a disagreement. I said that Majority rules,,, he said they didn't.

I'm not sure what he meant by that, but he said I was wrong about it.

I guess when you are the minority you gotta think of it in those terms.

For me, this is simple, put it all to a vote.

Take the biggest issues of the day and put it to a vote. Live with the results.

Not a popular idea.. but maybe it's the answer.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
DeSantis signs bill banning funding for college diversity programs

https://www.yahoo.com/news/desantis-signs-bill-banning-funding-155147909.html

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Who was it that kept talking about cancel culture again?

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I think Peen was most likely talking about the presidential election. And since it just so happens that when the majority of voters don't decide presidential elections, they love it that way.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
And since it just so happens that when the majority of voters don't decide presidential elections, they love it that way.

You don't like the way it works?

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I do find it odd that every other election in this country is decided by the popular vote except the presidency. And I find it odd that the population per electoral vote can vary so much from state to state.

Take Wyoming as an example. One electoral vote accounts for 193,000 people. While in Texas and California as examples, one electoral vote accounts for over 700,000 people. That makes for a huge discrepancy in how much each Americans vote counts.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
There would be many sound reasons to argue for an end or an amendment of the electoral voting system. And while I know and respect that it was set up the way it is in order to protect smaller states rights .... currently the balance is far too extreme in favor of the minority/small states. You can bet every last cent you own that if this was flipped and the small states were Blue, the GOP would find and be actively looking for a work around.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Actually a lot of them are pretty large states with small a population. Places like Wyoming and Montana certainly aren't what I would categorize as small states.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by mgh888
There would be many sound reasons to argue for an end or an amendment of the electoral voting system. And while I know and respect that it was set up the way it is in order to protect smaller states rights .... currently the balance is far too extreme in favor of the minority/small states. You can bet every last cent you own that if this was flipped and the small states were Blue, the GOP would find and be actively looking for a work around.

Is that why dems don't like it then, solely because it doesn't help them? Seems like the other side of the coin doesn't it?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The reason for the electoral college was that small states (Rhode Island, Delaware) did not want to be overwhelmed in an election by larger states (New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia). It was by designed by compromise and intended to be that way. Same way with the 3/5 ths concept for slaves. And originally senators were selected by the State Legislature.

It only took a civil war to get rid of the 3/5ths issue. An amendment ended the selection of senators by legislatures.

The "Small versus Large" imbalance that exists with the electoral college looms as large as ever. It is perhaps the only non democratic thing that remains.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus DeSantis Attack On disney Continues

Link Copied to Clipboard