Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
So, you're against this "redefining" but you're good with the BATFE redefining what a machine gun is?

Damn, it seems everything must be explained to you. Do you even read the threads or just come on here to stalk me? This issue here, if you had bothered to read the thread, is that Z seems to claim that it's the constitution and it's mentioning of due process that makes this extreme version of the stand your ground law somehow okay. My point was that this crazy stand your ground law is not in the constitution.

Some of the changes that are trying to be made I will agree with and some I won't. What i won't do is pick and choose where and when I think it's okay to use such a tactic and when I won't depending on the topic.

Not only that, I didn't say I agreed with BATFE actually changing the law. I stated that this is a tactic used many times to challenge the laws on the books. How I understand that's how our system currently works and that I'm okay with them using such a method in an attempt to overturn laws. I never said I actually agreed with the decision the BATFE made. I actually don't.

Try and keep up will ya?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
You still don't seem to understand what that sheriff said do you? He even went on to say that he had to enforce the laws on the books whether he liked them or not. I'm not rally sure how much more clear he could have made the fact that he felt the burden was unreasonable. Once again, the COTUS says nothing about stand your ground laws. According to you every law in every state qualifies as due priocess no matter what those guidelines happen to be because you know, the COTUS.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
So, you're against this "redefining" but you're good with the BATFE redefining what a machine gun is?

Damn, it seems everything must be explained to you. Do you even read the threads or just come on here to stalk me? This issue here, if you had bothered to read the thread, is that Z seems to claim that it's the constitution and it's mentioning of due process that makes this extreme version of the stand your ground law somehow okay. My point was that this crazy stand your ground law is not in the constitution.

Some of the changes that are trying to be made I will agree with and some I won't. What i won't do is pick and choose where and when I think it's okay to use such a tactic and when I won't depending on the topic.

Not only that, I didn't say I agreed with BATFE actually changing the law. I stated that this is a tactic used many times to challenge the laws on the books. How I understand that's how our system currently works and that I'm okay with them using such a method in an attempt to overturn laws. I never said I actually agreed with the decision the BATFE made. I actually don't.

Try and keep up will ya?

"Extreme'! Yay hit that buzzword.

The constitution does not tell States what process they must go through to investigate and bring charges in crimes. it does say that "nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; ". Florida has an established process that has not been found to be extraconstitutional. The incident to charges was not very long, but there is a process to get there. The process worked. The process cannot be "you look guilty therefore you are guilty".

It doesn't satisfy your need for outrage. Thankfully that is not what the COTUS is here for.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I call out the extremes of both sides. You just like to point it out when I do it in one direction. So let me get this straight. You think our forefathers wrote about due process and by that they meant, "Make up anything you like because we have you covered"?

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I call out the extremes of both sides. You just like to point it out when I do it in one direction. So let me get this straight. You think our forefathers wrote about due process and by that they meant, "Make up anything you like because we have you covered"?

I'll take "Horse pucky for $1000 Alex"

Let me get this straight, you yet again ask a pointed question to deflect and try to create a narrative that doesn't exist. Another "y" day I suppose.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FrankZ

I'll take "Horse pucky for $1000 Alex"

Let me get this straight, you yet again ask a pointed question to deflect and try to create a narrative that doesn't exist. Another "y" day I suppose.

rofl

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Cleveland mom charged with murder after baby is left home alone for 10 days and dies

16-month-old Jailyn Candelario was found "extremely dehydrated" after her mother, Kristel Candelario, went on a vacation and left her alone, police said.

A baby girl died after she was left home alone in Cleveland for 10 days as her mother traveled without having made any arrangements for the 16-month-old's care, officials said Thursday.

Kristel Candelario, 31, was arrested and charged with murder after her baby girl, Jailyn, was found unresponsive at their home at 3129 W. 97th St., police said.

There were "no signs of trauma," and the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner’s Office's investigation revealed that "the child had been left alone and unattended for approximately 10 days and had subsequently died," police said in a statement.

Candelario had been vacationing in Puerto Rico and Detroit, according to a police affidavit written in support of her arrest.

Candelario admitted to police that she left Jailyn “at home, all alone and unattended,” the affidavit written by Detective Thelemon Powell Jr. revealed.

When Candelario got home on a week ago Friday, she found Jailyn to be “extremely dehydrated,” the affidavit revealed.

The baby’s pen “consisted of soiled blankets and a bottom liner, saturated with urine and feces,” according to Powell.

Neighbors told NBC affiliate WKYC in Cleveland that Candelario had asked them to take care of Jailyn in the past and didn't understand why she hadn't reached out for their help again.

“Jailyn really didn’t deserve what happened to her. She was amazing and really adorable, and I miss her a lot,” a 13-year-old neighbor told WKYC.

It wasn't immediately clear Thursday whether Candelario had hired an attorney or been assigned counsel.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...y-left-home-alone-10-days-dies-rcna90590

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
That’s just horrific.

Not that it’s at all related and this women has some deep mental issues, but living in a state that forces motherhood on teens this type of thing shouldn’t be that surprising.

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

George Washington
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp denounces neo-Nazi demonstrations that occurred outside synagogues

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp condemned two neo-Nazi demonstrations that took place outside synagogues in Macon and near Atlanta on Friday and Saturday.

“There is absolutely no place for this hate and antisemitism in our state. I share in the outrage over this shameful act and stand with Georgians everywhere in condemning it,” the Republican tweeted Sunday morning. “We remain vigilant in the face of these disgusting acts of bigotry.”

A group of about a dozen neo-Nazi extremists -- waving swastika flags and displaying antisemitic propaganda -- gathered in front of an East Cobb synagogue, about 20 miles (32 kilometers) from Atlanta during services Saturday, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

County officials identified “these individuals as part of a small group that travel around the country in order to spread their hateful message,” the Chabad of Cobb County said in a statement to WSB-TV.

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp condemned two neo-Nazi demonstrations that took place outside synagogues in Macon and near Atlanta on Friday and Saturday.

“There is absolutely no place for this hate and antisemitism in our state. I share in the outrage over this shameful act and stand with Georgians everywhere in condemning it,” the Republican tweeted Sunday morning. “We remain vigilant in the face of these disgusting acts of bigotry.”

A group of about a dozen neo-Nazi extremists -- waving swastika flags and displaying antisemitic propaganda -- gathered in front of an East Cobb synagogue, about 20 miles (32 kilometers) from Atlanta during services Saturday, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

County officials identified “these individuals as part of a small group that travel around the country in order to spread their hateful message,” the Chabad of Cobb County said in a statement to WSB-TV.
ADVERTISEMENT

“We are working closely with Cobb County officials and the Police Department to ensure the security and safety of our campus. There is no threat whatsoever at this time,” the statement read.

Similarly, on Friday a group of 15 protesters yelling antisemitic messages gathered outside Temple Beth Israel in downtown Macon.

The demonstrations drew outrage from politicians and residents, with hundreds of people gathering at Temple Beth Israel to take a stand against antisemitism.

“Yesterday we saw antisemitism on display in Macon, and now in metro Atlanta. This has got to stop,” U.S. Sen. Raphael Warnock tweeted Saturday. “Praying for our Jewish community in Georgia and beyond. We must all raise our voices loudly against this vile hate.”

Antisemitic incidents have been on the rise across the country. In 2022 there were 192 antisemitic incidents reported in Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina and Tennessee – a 120% increase from the previous year, according to a report from the Anti-Defamation League. In Georgia alone, there was a 63% rise in such incidents between 2021 and 2022.

https://apnews.com/article/neonazi-...agogues-5be95e239641c38ad5d4d483ea0c9dc6

Antisemitic incidents on rise across US, report finds

https://apnews.com/article/antisemitism-israel-jews-tel-aviv-us-2e13cc5732a04fa4fc2dcf091ac729dd

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
A woman fatally shot an Uber driver. Police say she wrongly thought she was being kidnapped

EL PASO, Texas (AP) — A Kentucky woman has been accused of fatally shooting her West Texas Uber driver after mistakenly believing she was being kidnapped and taken to Mexico, according to police.

Phoebe Copas remained jailed Sunday in El Paso, Texas, after being charged with murder last week in the death of 52-year-old Daniel Piedra Garcia.

Court and jail records did not list an attorney who could speak for Copas, 48.

The shooting took place on June 16 as Piedra was driving Copas to a location in far southeast El Paso. Copas, who is from Tompkinsville, Kentucky, was in El Paso visiting her boyfriend, according to authorities.

During the ride, Copas saw traffic signs that read “Juarez, Mexico,” according to an arrest affidavit. El Paso is located on the U.S.-Mexico border across from Juarez.

Believing she was being kidnapped and taken to Mexico, Copas is accused of grabbing a handgun from her purse and shooting Piedra in the head, according to the affidavit. The vehicle crashed into barriers before coming to a stop on a freeway.

The area where the car crashed was “not in close proximity of a bridge, port of entry or other area with immediate access to travel into Mexico,” according to the affidavit.

“The investigation does not support that a kidnapping took place or that Piedra was veering from Copas’ destination,” police said in a news release.

Police allege that before she called 911, Copas took a photo of Piedra after the shooting and texted it to her boyfriend.

Piedra was hospitalized for several days before his family took him off life support after doctors told them he would not recover.

“He was a hardworking man and really funny,” Piedra’s niece, Didi Lopez, told the El Paso Times. “He was never in a bad mood. He was always the one that, if he saw you in a bad mood, he’d come over and try to lift you up.”

Copas, who is being held on a $1.5 million bond, was originally charged with aggravated assault. The charge was upgraded to murder after Piedra died.

A GoFundMe campaign set up by Piedra’s family said he was their sole provider and had only recently started working again after being injured in his previous job.

“I wish she would’ve spoken up, asked questions, not acted on impulse and make a reckless decision, because not only did she ruin our lives, but she ruined her life, too,” Lopez said. “We just want justice for him. That’s all we’re asking.”

https://apnews.com/article/uber-mur...-mexico-5ab60092bb0a3710090b7186723adf88

In my best Rod Sterling impression, "That's the signpost up ahead - your next stop, the Mexicao Zone!"

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
'I'm coming to get you': New Hampshire man arrested for allegedly threatening Sen. Tuberville
Updated: 6:14 PM CDT Jun 6, 2023
By Riley Conlon
WASHINGTON —
A New Hampshire man has been arrested over alleged threats directed at Alabama Senator Tommy Tuberville.

Brian Landry was arrested on Friday, June 2, and charged with threatening to assault, kidnap, or murder a member of Congress.

Advertisement
According to investigators, Landry allegedly threatened to shoot Tuberville, claiming in a voicemail that he was a former military sniper and that he had his scope pointed at the senator.

If convicted, Landry faces up to 10 years in prison, supervised release, and a fine of $250,000.

https://www.wvtm13.com/amp/article/arrest-threat-alabama-senator-tommy-tuberville/44110302

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by Pdawg
'I'm coming to get you': New Hampshire man arrested for allegedly threatening Sen. Tuberville
Updated: 6:14 PM CDT Jun 6, 2023
By Riley Conlon
WASHINGTON —
A New Hampshire man has been arrested over alleged threats directed at Alabama Senator Tommy Tuberville.

Brian Landry was arrested on Friday, June 2, and charged with threatening to assault, kidnap, or murder a member of Congress.

Advertisement
According to investigators, Landry allegedly threatened to shoot Tuberville, claiming in a voicemail that he was a former military sniper and that he had his scope pointed at the senator.

If convicted, Landry faces up to 10 years in prison, supervised release, and a fine of $250,000.

https://www.wvtm13.com/amp/article/arrest-threat-alabama-senator-tommy-tuberville/44110302

This needs to happen each and every time. Without exception. Zero tolerance.
Threaten a civil servant/do time.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted by Clemdawg
This needs to happen each and every time. Without exception. Zero tolerance.
Threaten a civil servant/do time.

I'd extend this to include threats of violence against election workers now that the Donny Brigade are constantly going around threatening and intimidating election workers in the belief that they someohow stole an election from their boy.

https://www.npr.org/2023/06/23/1183...2024-election-workers-already-are-scared

The more things change the more they stay the same.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Florida man won't face charges for firing on pool cleaner he thought was intruder

The Pinellas County sheriff said the shooting with the high-capacity weapon was “lawful but awful.”

A Florida man won't be criminally charged after he mistook his pool cleaner for an intruder and opened fire on him with a high-capacity weapon, officials said Monday.

Bradley and Jana Hocevar were in their home in Dunedin on June 15 when she spotted a figure on their pool deck about 9 p.m., officials said.

Jana Hocevar, 43, called 911, and Bradley Hocevar, 57, "retrieved a rifle from their bedroom" and "fired two rounds" at Karl Polek, 33, the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

Polek works for Bay Area Pool Techs and was servicing the couple's pool. He was hurt by exploding glass and shrapnel but didn't suffer any life-threatening wounds, officials said.

“This is a classic example of what’s called the castle doctrine, or Florida's stand-your-ground law. Bradley Hocevar was in his home; he was in fear someone was breaking in,” Sheriff Bob Gualtieri told reporters.

"I would call [it] lawful but awful. I mean it's lawful, but it's an awful set of circumstances."

The couple have been using Bay Area Pool Techs for years, and Polek has been their cleaner for more than six months, officials said.

The service normally happens on Thursday or Friday afternoons but never as late as 9 p.m., officials said.

Both Bradley and Jana Hocevar yelled out at the man to leave, but he didn’t obey the shouts, the couple's 911 call and security video seemed to show.

"It’s an unfortunate set of circumstances," Gualtieri said. "We talked to [the] pool guy. In hindsight, he should have probably let them know he was coming at 9 o'clock at night, yet he made no effort to contact them at all."

After Hocevar fired two shots and Polek fled, Hocevar fired more shots into the unoccupied pool area, emptying his 30-round magazine in about 90 seconds.

Hocevar, a former Army lieutenant colonel, could be heard on the 911 call concerned that he might have wounded someone.

"I shot up the whole f------" pool deck, he said. "My God, did I hurt somebody?"

Gualtieri said he refuses to engage in "Monday morning quarterbacking" and criticize Hocevar's actions.

He did wonder whether Hocevar needed to keep shooting with his AR-15 rifle after the first two rounds.

"If there’s room for discussion, that's where there’s room for discussion," Gualtieri said. "That didn’t need to happen."

Polek couldn't be reached for comment Tuesday at any of the publicly listed phone numbers for him.

A representative for Bay Area Pool Techs couldn't immediately be reached for comment Tuesday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...l-cleaner-thought-was-intruder-rcna91467

When asked he told the police, "No, he never tried to break into the house nor nuthin'. But you never know what he mighta tried to do later and besides he mighta tried to swim nekid in my pool! I was skeered! I was in fear for mah life! So I unloaded 30 rounds at him!" At which time a police officer replied, "You're good bro."

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
jc

if people start empting clips on these trash ass Kia boys, im not gonna be mad about it whatsoever.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Man with weapons and Jan. 6 warrant arrested after running toward Obamas' D.C. home

A man with materials to make explosives and an active Jan. 6-related warrant was arrested by law enforcement in former President Barack Obama's Washington, D.C., neighborhood Thursday, multiple sources briefed on the matter tell CBS News.

Several sources identified the suspect as 37-year-old Taylor Taranto, of Seattle, Washington. Secret Service spotted him within blocks of the Obamas' home, according to a law enforcement official briefed on the matter. Taranto fled, and Secret Service chased him. He was running toward the Obamas' home, but was apprehended before reaching it.

Taranto's van was parked close to where he was arrested. There were multiple weapons and the materials to make some kind of explosive device akin to a Molotov cocktail, but it had not been assembled, according law enforcement officials familiar with the details. He had said he had explosives, but first responders only found the materials to make them.

U.S. officials were concerned because Taranto had made threats during recent livestreams on social media against a public figure. He also had an open warrant on charges related to the Jan. 6, 2021, assault on the U.S. Capitol. He wasn't in Obama's neighborhood by mistake, a U.S. official noted.

According to a senior law enforcement official, Taranto had been in Washington, D.C., area for a couple of months. He had been seen camping out in his van near the D.C. jail where many of the Jan. 6 defendants are being held, and some of his livestreams were apparently posted while he was in the D.C. area.

Taranto has been charged with being a fugitive from justice, according to the Metropolitan Police Department.

The incident did not result in any injuries. It's unclear if the Obamas were home at the time.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-with-weapons-arrested-near-obamas-dc-home/

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Suburban New York police officer accused of making hoax threats against herself

Emily Hirshowitz, 36, of the Ossining PD has been charged with filing false reports.

A suburban New York police officer sent herself a series of vile, menacing text messages and claimed she'd been the target of harassment by colleagues, prosecutors said.

Ossining Police Officer Emily Hirshowitz, 36, made reports to the Westchester County District Attorney's Office dating to May last year, detailing anonymous, threatening messages she said she'd been receiving, according to a criminal complaint filed in White Plains City Court last week.

Hirshowitz had said "a fellow police officer or multiple police officers at my department are involved," Westchester County DA's criminal investigator Michael Garcia wrote in a complaint.

The expletive-laced texts urged her to take her own life and called her "stupid," “useless” and a “reject.”

But investigators discovered the texts were sent from phone numbers linked to Hirshowitz using apps that had her email and IP addresses associated with them, the complaint said.

She has been charged with three counts of offering a false instrument for filing and four counts of falsely reporting an incident.

Hirshowitz's attorney could not immediately be reached for comment Monday. Of three publicly listed phone numbers linked to Hirshowitz, two were disconnected and one caller said it was a wrong number.

Hirshowitz is on administrative leave, said a police representative, who declined to comment further.

She was arrested Wednesday, and her next court appearance is set for July 12.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...er-accused-making-hoax-threats-rcna92345

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Marine taken into custody after missing 14-year-old girl is found in barracks of California base

Military police at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton found the teen on June 28, just over two weeks after her grandmother reported her missing to San Diego County authorities.

A Marine was detained last month after a missing 14-year-old girl was found in the barracks of a California base, authorities said.

Military police at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton in Oceanside found the teenager on June 28, just over two weeks after her grandmother reported her missing to the San Diego County Sheriff's Department, said Melissa Aquino, a sheriff's spokesperson.

Capt. Charles Palmer, the director of communications strategy and operations for the 1st Marine Logistics Group, confirmed in a statement that an unidentified “Marine with Combat Logistics Battalion 5, 1st Marine Logistics Group was taken into custody for questioning by Naval Criminal Investigative Services,” the Navy and Marine law enforcement agency, on June 28.

Palmer said that the Marine remains in the custody of his command and that he has not been formally charged.

“This command takes this matter and all allegations very seriously,” he added.

The sheriff’s department and the San Diego Human Trafficking Task Force are “supporting NCIS with the investigation,” said Aquino, of the sheriff’s office.

Representatives for the state attorney general's office did not immediately respond to inquiries Sunday morning about the human trafficking task force's involvement.

Aquino said the girl's grandmother reported her missing on June 13 and that she said the girl had run away from home four days earlier. The grandmother said the girl had run away before but always returned home quickly, Aquino said.

Authorities entered the girl's information into missing person databases, including that of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, the sheriff's office said.

She was subsequently returned to her grandmother, said Aquino, who added that detectives interviewed the teen and that the family was "offered services." The sheriff's office did not immediately respond to a follow-up question seeking more detail about what kind of services the family was offered.

The girl has not been publicly identified. The sheriff's office said in a statement that it does not release information that could identify victims who are minors.

Jeff Houston, a spokesperson for NCIS, said in a statement, "Out of respect for the investigative process, NCIS does not comment on, confirm details relating to, or confirm the existence of ongoing investigations."

Lt. David LaDieu, the sheriff's department's media relations director, said in a statement that NCIS is handling the investigation and that "the only involvement we have had is the recovering the juvenile as she was listed missing from our jurisdiction."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-girl-found-barracks-californi-rcna93283

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I really don’t believe NCIS should be in charge of investigating a case involving a local civilian minor. This belongs to local authorities and elected state courts imo.

Some day, following the example of the United States of America, there will be a United States of Europe.

George Washington
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I agree. It's a lot like allowing the police to investigate the police. "Internal Affairs is handling the investigation."

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
A popular Tennessee soccer coach left his phone at a restaurant. Police say they discovered videos on the device of him allegedly raping unconscious boys

Police say they have arrested a “popular” Tennessee soccer coach after finding videos on his cell phone depicting unconscious boys being raped.

Camilo Hurtado Campos is being held in Franklin, Tennessee, on charges of rape of a child and sexual exploitation of a minor with additional charges expected to be filed, according to a Sunday news release from the Franklin Police Department.

Police say they were alerted after Campos left his phone at a restaurant and employees went through the device, looking for information about the owner so they could return it.

“What they found, instead, were dozens of unconscionable videos and pictures of children, and so they called police,” authorities said in the news release.

Authorities investigated and found hundreds of disturbing images and videos on the 63-year-old’s phone, according to the release. Police say Campos “recorded himself raping unconscious boys between approximately 9 and 17 years old.”

So far, the rapes of “at least 10 children” were found on the phone, and detectives have managed to identify three of the victims, according to police.

“Five more that we didn’t know about have also come forward. We are nowhere close to the end of our review of the evidence in this horrific case,” Franklin police said in a tweet Monday.

Detectives say victims may not even know they were raped due to being in an unconscious state.

Campos has lived in Franklin, just south of Nashville, for the past two decades.

The soccer coach would allegedly frequent school playgrounds where he would approach and recruit children to play soccer, many of whom he would later invite to his home after gaining their trust, authorities said in the release.

Franklin police are still trying to identify the remaining children and want to hear from anyone that has been associated with Campos.

Campos’ bond has been set at $525,000, a spokesperson for the Williamson County Sheriff’s Office said.

Campos does not have an attorney yet, according to the court clerk. His next court date is July 25.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/10/us/franklin-tennessee-soccer-coach-rape-charges/index.html

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree. It's a lot like allowing the police to investigate the police. "Internal Affairs is handling the investigation."

Actually NCIS aid a civilian federal agency that polices the Navy. There is no love for the agency from the Navy.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Baby boy dies in Florida after teen mother puts fentanyl in baby bottle, sheriff says

A 9-month-old baby boy died last month in Florida after his teenage mother is accused of putting enough fentanyl into his bottle to kill 10 people, officials said Wednesday.

The 17-year-old mother was arrested on charges of aggravated manslaughter and possession of a controlled substance, Nassau County Sheriff Bill Leeper said during a news conference. She allegedly confessed to investigators that she thought the fentanyl was cocaine, and put it into her baby's bottle to put him to sleep because she was tired and wanted to take a nap, he added.

"Unfortunately, some babies are born to individuals who have no business being parents," Leeper said.

On June 26, deputies responded to a residence on Deerfield Country Club Road in Callahan, which is about 20 miles north of Jacksonville, Leeper said. They arrived to find the baby boy unconscious on the living room floor. He was not breathing and did not have a pulse.

A deputy performed CPR and the baby was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced deceased, Leeper explained.

"Originally the mother said she didn't know what happened, she put the baby to sleep and just couldn't wake him up," Leeper said.

On Monday, investigators received a report from the medical examiner that fentanyl had been found in the baby's blood, the sheriff said, and his cause of death was determined to be a fentanyl overdose.

Two milligrams of fentanyl can be lethal, depending on a person's body size, tolerance and past usage, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration.

"The amount he had in his system would kill approximately 10 people," Leeper said.

The baby's bottle was located and tested, and deputies found signs of fentanyl inside, Leeper disclosed. The bottle has since been sent to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for further testing.

Investigators brought the mother in Tuesday for an interview, Leeper said, adding that she changed her story several times before ultimately confessing.

She told officers she had filled the bottle with formula, then went to the bathroom where she found a pill bottle containing what she believed to be cocaine, according to Leeper. She added some to the baby's bottle.

"She laid him down in his crib to go to sleep and he never woke up," Leeper said. "Who does that? What mother would do that? That's not normal. That is sick. It's beyond my imagination why a mother would do that to her child."

There were others in the home at the time of the incident, but investigators believe it was solely her decisions that led to the baby's death. Officials have not released the names of the mother or her child.

Leeper added that while the mother was being booked into jail, she indicated she may be pregnant again.

Leeper also urged struggling parents to reach out for help, saying there are resources available.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/baby-b...lv4bb_VhLWn6oJe-iauhC9F3M2bzjMrls1foBm4U

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

In the words of Robert Plant who sang Stairway To heaven so many years ago.... "And it makes me wonder."

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Texas man ticketed for feeding the homeless outside Houston library is found not guilty

HOUSTON (AP) — A man has been found not guilty of breaking a law against feeding homeless people outside a public library in Houston, concluding the first trial to be held after dozens of tickets were issued against volunteers for the group Food Not Bombs.

Friday’s verdict in the sprawling Texas city is latest flashpoint in the debate in many American cities over whether feeding the homeless is an act of charity or a crime that raises health and safety concerns among people who live and work nearby.

“This law that the city has passed is absurd. It criminalizes the Samaritan for giving,” lawyer Paul Kubosh, who represented volunteer Phillip Picone, told KPRC 2 after last week’s verdict.

The city of Houston said it will continue to “vigorously pursue violations of its ordinance relating to feeding of the homeless,” according to a statement released to news outlets.

“It is a health and safety issue for the protection of Houston’s residents,” city attorney Arturo Michel said.

Food Not Bombs had provided meals four nights a week outside the Houston Public Library for decades without incident. But the city posted a notice at the site warning that police would soon start issuing citations, and the first came in March.

City regulations on who can provide free meals outdoors to those in need were enacted in 2012. The ordinance requires such groups to get permission from property owners if they feed more than five people, but it wasn’t enforced until recently, Nick Cooper, a volunteer with Food Not Bombs, told The Associated Press in March.

The office of Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner had said tickets were being issued in part because of an increased number of threats and violent incidents directed at employees and visitors to the library by homeless individuals. The office said the city had started providing meals and other services for homeless individuals at an approved facility located about a mile (.6 kilometer) north of the library.

“We simply cannot lose control of the iconic and historic building that is intended to be a special and safe place for all,” the mayor’s office said.

Cooper said that the approved location wasn’t ideal because it is close to a police station, although Food Not Bombs members were willing to discuss alternatives.

The group has argued that the city’s law is immoral and violates freedoms of expression and religion, the Houston Chronicle reported.

Picone, the Food Not Bombs volunteer, had received a criminal citation in March after police allegedly told the group to move their operations to another location, the Chronicle reported. As of last week, group members have received 45 tickets, each seeking $254, for continuing to pass out meals at the library.

The newspaper reported that Picone’s trial was the first for the series of tickets that were issued. Nine more tickets are scheduled for court on Thursday and Friday.

Bans on sharing food with people who are experiencing homeless are not new. And Picone is not the first to be cited.

Among the most notable cases was against Arnold Abbott, a 90-year-old World War II veteran, in 2014 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Abbott was charged with violating an ordinance that restricted public feeding of the homeless. He later obtained a state-court injunction against the rule on the grounds it violated Florida’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act, the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reported. He died in 2019.

The local Food Not Bombs chapter had filed a separate federal lawsuit against Fort Lauderdale’s food-sharing rules. And in 2021, a federal appeals court found that the group’s efforts were protected under the U.S. Constitution, the Sun-Sentinel reported.

A survey of 187 U.S. cities found 17 food-sharing bans that were either city wide or in particular public places, according to a 2019 report from the National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty.

The report noted that food-sharing laws “expose individuals or organizations, often faith-based organizations, to fines or criminal liability.”

Donald H. Whitehead Jr., executive director of the National Coalition for the Homeless, said many American cities have seen a rise in the number of people who are homeless.

But efforts to criminalize homelessness — or acts of help — fail to address its root causes, such as the lack of affordable housing, Whitehead said.

“We’re creating housing in this country, but it’s not housing that is targeting people at the lowest end of the economic ladder,” Whitehead said Wednesday. “Most of the housing that we’re building are luxury apartments and high-end apartments.”

https://apnews.com/article/houston-...-guilty-530a5e5931fc6db8f0ab7d51b2331492

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/man...reats-biden-officials/story?id=102138966

A Utah man was shot and killed during an FBI raid early Wednesday morning, the FBI confirmed to ABC News. The raid was in connection with an investigation into alleged threats against President Joe Biden and others, according to two officials briefed on the case.

One of the officials told ABC News that the investigation began in April and the U.S. Secret Service was notified by the FBI in June. In addition to threatening posts, the official said, the man under investigation suggested online he was making plans to take physical action. The threats had been deemed "credible," the official said.

The FBI in Salt Lake City said the shooting occurred around 6:15 am. local time while special agents attempted to serve arrest and search warrants at a residence in Provo.

Robertson was facing three counts, according to the complaint -- interstate threats, threats against the president, and influencing, impeding and retaliating against federal law enforcement officers by threat.

The complaint includes numerous social media posts believed to have been made by Robertson threatening to kill Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris, as well as several officials involved in prosecuting former President Donald Trump.

George Washington
Legend
Legend
What the Hell is wrong with people?

I'm gonna say A LOT

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Too many stupid people.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
A man has been found not guilty of breaking a law against feeding homeless people outside a public library in Houston, concluding the first trial to be held after dozens of tickets were issued against volunteers for the group Food Not Bombs.

Are you saying Texas has a law making it a crime to feed homeless people outside of a library? YIKES..

Last edited by Damanshot; 08/10/23 07:30 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
I'm betting it will only take a few days for some fool to call this weaponizing the DOJ....

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Top evangelical says churchgoers view Jesus quotes as ‘liberal talking points’, warns Christianity ‘in crisis’

By Victor Nava
August 9, 2023 7:08pm
link

A onetime top official with the Southern Baptist Convention has warned that American Christianity is in crisis — with some churchgoers viewing the teachings of Jesus Christ as nothing more than “liberal talking points.” 

Russell Moore, now the editor-in-chief of Christianity Today, explained in a Tuesday interview with NPR that partisan tribalism in the US is infecting the evangelical movement and that he is alarmed at the number of self-professed Christians who believe the Bible and its teachings are “subversive.”

Moore told “All Things Considered” host Scott Detrow that his moment of clarity “was the result of having multiple pastors tell me, essentially, the same story about quoting the Sermon on the Mount, parenthetically, in their preaching — ‘turn the other cheek’ — to have someone come up after to say, ‘Where did you get those liberal talking points?’

“And what was alarming to me,” Moore went on, “is that in most of these scenarios, when the pastor would say, ‘I’m literally quoting Jesus Christ,’ the response would not be, ‘I apologize.’ The response would be ‘Yes, but that doesn’t work anymore. That’s weak.’ And when we get to the point where the teachings of Jesus himself are seen as subversive to us, then we’re in a crisis.”

Moore suggested that the roots of the problem “really come down to disconnection, loneliness, sense of alienation, even in churches that are still healthy and functioning” and “legitimate concerns” about the state of society that are being portrayed as an “existential threat” by “conflict entrepreneurs.” 

“I don’t think we fix it by fighting a war for the soul of evangelicalism,” Moore said.

“I really don’t think we can fix it at the movement level. And that’s one of the reasons why, when I’m talking to Christians who are concerned about this, my counsel is always small and local. I think we have to do something different and show a different way, and I see in history that every time that something renewing and reviving has happened, it’s happened that way, it’s happened at a small level with people simply refusing to go with the stream of the church culture at the time. And I think that’s where we need to be now.”

Moore called for a return to a “first-century understanding of what it means to be the church,” noting that historically “the very existence of the church is to mean a group of people who are reconciled to God and to each other and from the very beginning was standing apart from those sorts of factions.”

“I think if we’re going to get past the blood-and-soil sorts of nationalism, or all of the other kinds of totalizing cultural identities, it’s going to require rethinking what the church is,” he added. 

Moore is a longtime critic of former President Donald Trump and has blasted the ex-commander-in-chief for both his immigration policy of separating migrant families at the southern border and for his actions during the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot. 

In a 2016 tweet, Trump, the 2024 Republican presidential frontrunner, derided Moore as a “truly a terrible representative of Evangelicals” and “a nasty guy with no heart!”

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The church aligned itself with the right and now it has a crisis on its hands. Does it continue to push hate or get back to the actual teachings of Christ… the socialist Jew? It’s their bed they made. Now they’re tangled in their own sheets. I find it hilarious. It’s also why I left the church. It became a breading ground for the Fox News evangelical types. Yuck.
Good luck to those churches that decide to fight back.

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Damanshot
A man has been found not guilty of breaking a law against feeding homeless people outside a public library in Houston, concluding the first trial to be held after dozens of tickets were issued against volunteers for the group Food Not Bombs.

Are you saying Texas has a law making it a crime to feed homeless people outside of a library? YIKES..

Since you went there let's get something straight. This is a local law in the city of Houston. Houston is a Democratic city with a Democratic mayor. It's easy to just say "Well it was Texas" or "Well it was Florida", but the fact is in every state you have areas ran by Democrats as well as Republicans. Even California and New York.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: Ballpeen
T
Legend
Legend
T
People who reject God undoubtedly replace God with some false God, which is blasphemy.
and they can't help it, it happens whether they want it to or not,
If they would listen to and believe God, and not reject God, then they would not be blind to these things.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Exactly.

Many cities do this. Chicago has been run by Democrats for as long as I can remember. I admit I haven't been there for several years, but in the past they rustled the homeless out of the downtown area faster than they could hold out a tin cup.

Cleveland for that matter used to have mission trucks lined up in front of the Terminal Tower, handing out sandwiches and such. The city passed laws not allowing that in the area.

Cities have to be concerned about image as much as dealing with the homeless. You can do both. I applaud that. People see what has happened in San Francisco. People don't go to San Francisco anymore and other cities don't want that happening to their city.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Dear Lord Peen, people still go to San Fransisco.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I'm old school....probably way to old....what happened to vagrancy laws? A homeless person, man or woman who defecates in public area- why are they not arrested for spreading disease or public obscenity? I'd be in jail if homeless did what they do in front of my business? I don't understand the new improved world.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Fewer, and same goes for Seattle and Portland---both cities SUCK due to homeless.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I think it sucks that we have that many homeless. No matter where they are. And where did it say anyone was defecating in public?

#gmstrong
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus What The Hell Is Wrong With People!?

Link Copied to Clipboard