#2015054 05/10/23 06:52 PM
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Open-Armed Chicago Feels the Strains of a Migrant Influx

https://www.yahoo.com/news/open-armed-chicago-feels-strains-181944203.html

Chicago, a "sanctuary city".........hey looks good on paper. now? "hey we didn't want all these people. We can't deal with them." "Governor Abbot in Texas is responsible for this".

No one cares about illegals until it hits THEM in the pocketbook.

Legend
Legend
Governor Abbot is not responsible for any of this. The federal government is completely to blame for abdicating their responsibility to secure our borders and create immigration policies that work.

Abbot is just doing what he can for his state, one of the few that take the brunt of the illegal immigration.

Not directed at Arch

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Legend
Legend
Bro, you need to "bone up" on the shell game being played.

The border crisis is now the fault of the republicans...

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
1 member likes this: FrankZ
Legend
Legend

A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Originally Posted by Pdawg
Governor Abbot is not responsible for any of this.

That was from the article, not me.

I just found/find it ironic that Chicago wanted to be a sanctuary city - until illegals showed up. Then Chicago says basically "we can't handle 100 a day..."

But they expect border states to handle thousands a day?

Don't tell me illegal immigrants aren't a problem in this country. Perhaps it is wise to bus illegals to areas that didn't have to deal with them, so those areas can wake up to the crisis illegal immigration is.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I think the entire country should equally share the burden of the immigration problem until thy hold congress responsible to fix it. Congress controls actual immigration laws and policies for the most part. But people seem to place the blame everywhere other than at the feet of congress.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yeah?

Please explain how illegal crossings were at a 40 year low under Trump and have increase 5X under Biden? What were the changes in Congress that led to these numbers at polar opposites of the extremes?

A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nyc-chicago-clash-biden-migrant-141046631.html

Just another article here.

Oddly, when illegals weren't 'overflowing' in certain areas, those areas where all for letting illegals in, at will.

I guess it's changing? Maybe?

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FATE
Yeah?

Please explain how illegal crossings were at a 40 year low under Trump and have increase 5X under Biden? What were the changes in Congress that led to these numbers at polar opposites of the extremes?

So you can't dispute that congress makes immigration laws but instead us an "Oh yeah" whatabout?

President Trump Reduced Legal Immigration. He Did Not Reduce Illegal Immigration

https://www.cato.org/blog/president...on-he-did-not-reduce-illegal-immigration

Trump did certainly make legal immigration harder. But then I had no idea that was the topic of discussion.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
Yeah?

So you can't dispute that congress makes immigration laws but instead us an "Oh yeah" whatabout?

President Trump Reduced Legal Immigration. He Did Not Reduce Illegal Immigration

Trump did certainly make legal immigration harder. But then I had no idea that was the topic of discussion.

Congress makes the laws. That is true. The executive also has regulatory powers, especially ones laid out by congress. This is not a either or situation.

P
Legend
Legend
P
So much of the executive branches regulatory powers are also laid out by congress.

Thanks.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
But the bottom line is, illegal immigration is extremely costly and needs to be stopped.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
So much of the executive branches regulatory powers are also laid out by congress.

Thanks.

But not all. Some is laid out by the Constitution.

And, at times, congress gives regulatory agencies broad powers. But the issue with illegal immigration does not rest solely on Congress.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by archbolddawg
But the bottom line is, illegal immigration is extremely costly and needs to be stopped.

I certainly agree. That's why I think if the burden was distributed equally across the country rather than being concentrated on the border states America would hold congress much more accountable for finding a solution to address it.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by FrankZ
But the issue with illegal immigration does not rest solely on Congress.

I also don't disagree with you there. However only congress has the power to totally rewrite our nation's immigration policy which is what it would take to fix the problem on a large scale.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by FrankZ
But the issue with illegal immigration does not rest solely on Congress.

I also don't disagree with you there. However only congress has the power to totally rewrite our nation's immigration policy which is what it would take to fix the problem on a large scale.

To be honest I don't know what powers they have already given the executive for this. It's not like they are starting at zero on this.

Obviously they already have some powers to deal with it, that has been shown with other executives.

Legend
Legend
Yeah?

So, raising the obvious question is a "whatabout" and outside the bounds of the conversation?

You said this was a congress problem, I asked how the numbers were so different, you say not part of the conversation.

In case you've missed it:

"President Biden on Tuesday signed a trio of executive orders to reverse the immigration policies of former President Donald Trump, continuing his brisk shift of policies by the stroke of a pen."

That was within two weeks of taking office. Does congress play a role in that? Not fair to talk about it??

19,000 crossed the border yesterday. 2.4 million last year. Your solution to a disaster that is growing worse everyday is to make the country share the burden equally and tell Congress to get on the ball?

This administration's policy is to mass release immigrants immediately into a permanent parole status -- that's why they're "legal". Eventually they'll be processed, current estimates are within four years. That is, if they follow through.

Now, if you want to talk about congress, current congressional policy is to do that on an individual basis with qualifiers.

Seems like Congress already has policy, it's just being ignored... and then this administration whatabouts into blaming congress for it's own self-created catastrophe? rofl

And the "new policy" to try to handle this surge is to release with no identification whatsoever and tell them to report to ICE with in 60 days!

Border Patrol agents were ordered Wednesday to begin releasing migrants in any border sector that reached 125% of its holding capacity with instructions to report to an immigration office within 60 days. They were also told to start the releases if the average time in custody exceeded 60 hours or if 7,000 migrants were taken into custody across the entire border in any one day.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/tx/so...o-us-border-ahead-of-title-42-expiration

Did congress order them to do that? If not, who did??

P
Legend
Legend
P
So, raising the obvious question is a "whatabout" and outside the bounds of the conversation?

The answer to that question is based strictly on who posted it and who you ask.

Only congress has the power to rewrite national immigration laws. This an issue that has gotten out of hand and the laws need to be addressed in a comprehensive overhaul of immigration law. Only congress has the power to do so and only then can the immigration issue be solved long term. Everything else is simply partisan target practice and will solve nothing.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Cool. So what should happen right now?

A
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
A
Block the border. Period.

Legend
Legend

Nah. Biden says we need a surge...

M
Legend
Legend
M

That's called gas lighting right??? Stone cold gas lighting.

I mean it's good - but damn.

Jut in case you missed it - the label on the video is "Candidate Biden Calls On Illegal Immigrants to Surge the Border".

What I feel certain about is Biden is talking about is persecuted immigrants coming and applying for legal immigration at our border. A notion and foundation on which some might say the country is built on.

Of course - maybe a 14 second sound bite cut off of all context might not relay that fully. But there you go.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by mgh888

That's called gas lighting right??? Stone cold gas lighting.

I mean it's good - but damn.

Jut in case you missed it - the label on the video is "Candidate Biden Calls On Illegal Immigrants to Surge the Border".

What I feel certain about is Biden is talking about is persecuted immigrants coming and applying for legal immigration at our border. A notion and foundation on which some might say the country is built on.

Of course - maybe a 14 second sound bite cut off of all context might not relay that fully. But there you go.

And then he changed the application process to "come one, come all, come on in... we'll figure this all out later".

Yes or no?

Legend
Legend
I think the entire country should equally share the burden of the immigration problem until thy hold congress responsible to fix it. Congress controls actual immigration laws and policies for the most part. But people seem to place the blame everywhere other than at the feet of congress.

100% agree with this...

<><

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Cool. So what should happen right now?

You seem to be the one with all of the answers so what do you propose we do? I mean you have to first admit that there is a framework of immigration laws currently on the books that you can't break in whatever it is you propose. You know, like the "bock the border period" idea that was mentioned. That would not be a legal measure under current immigration law. It's a great talking point however I suppose.

We could send more troops to do other work at the border to free up border patrol control agents to help actually protect the border. I mean unless you think troops that have been taught to fight wars is a better solution? Oh wait, they already did that.

We could make these people apply for asylum first in their own countries or other countries they passed through to get here first. Wait, they already did that.

We could send more immigration judges to the border to help process things more quickly. No wait, we already doing that.......

But even some of these measures will be fought in court because the current immigration legislation on the books leaves much of these measures in question from a legal standpoint. And that's the actual problem right now. The current immigration laws.

Trump proposed and tried to implement slightly stricter measures than that and was stopped by the courts on that basis.

I know there are those that think it can all be solved easily. But if that is so why has nobody done it? Why would you think a bunch of posters on a message board could figure out how to "legally" do it?

That's the entire problem whether one wishes to admit it or not. Some things are simply not an issue caused by one side or the other. Both parties have sat on their hands and watched this thing go crazy. The Republicans are finally trying to pass new immigration reform. I haven't taken the time to read it as of yet. Hopefully it will at the very least a starting point to fixing this mess. After years of pointing the finger and sitting on their asses, it seems now, after it has become a full blown crisis, they have at least chose to address it.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
And then he changed the application process to "come one, come all, come on in... we'll figure this all out later".

Yes or no?

Do you mean like this?

President Joe Biden's administration this week will begin denying asylum to migrants who show up at the U.S.-Mexico border without first applying online or seeking protection in a country they passed through.

It's part of new measures meant to crack down on illegal border crossings while creating new legal pathways, including a plan to open 100 regional migration hubs across the Western Hemisphere, administration officials said.

While stopping short of a total ban, the measure imposes severe limitations on asylum for those crossing illegally who didn't first seek a legal pathway. The rule was first announced in February and is being finalized Wednesday, the officials said. It's almost certain to face legal challenges. In 2019, then-President Donald Trump pursued similar but stricter measures, but a federal appeals court prevented them from taking effect.

https://abc7.com/biden-administration-mexico-border-title-42/13230234/

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Yes or no?

Do you mean like this?

President Joe Biden's administration this week will begin denying asylum to migrants who show up at the U.S.-Mexico border without first applying online or seeking protection in a country they passed through.

It's part of new measures meant to crack down on illegal border crossings while creating new legal pathways, including a plan to open 100 regional migration hubs across the Western Hemisphere, administration officials said.

While stopping short of a total ban, the measure imposes severe limitations on asylum for those crossing illegally who didn't first seek a legal pathway. The rule was first announced in February and is being finalized Wednesday, the officials said. It's almost certain to face legal challenges. In 2019, then-President Donald Trump pursued similar but stricter measures, but a federal appeals court prevented them from taking effect.

You mean like, if I do some faulty electrical wiring and the whole block of houses burn down, one by one; it's all good as long as I show up with a fire extinguisher before the last shed is in ashes?

Yep, that's what I meant lol.

Acting like doing something two years later absolves you of the disaster you created is the typical liberal response. Thanks.

This system you're trying to whatabout into a talking point is futile anyway. The app doesn't even work. But we'll assume they work out the kinks and it's at least fully functional someday... We'll try math, I assume you learned a little of that starting about 50 years ago. This system can process 200 people a day. There are well over 10,000 at the border everyday. You know what their number one excuse is now? "The app won't work". Why? Because it doesn't lol (who would really expect it to).

Sooo...

Some silly "asylum app" makes no difference whatsoever when your policy is also to let them in the country on a parole system when the border station is over capacity.

This really isn't that hard. Well, for some.

1 member likes this: jfanent
P
Legend
Legend
P

Yes or no?

Do you mean like this?

You mean like, if I do some faulty electrical wiring and the whole block of houses burn down, one by one; it's all good as long as I show up with a fire extinguisher before the last shed is in ashes?

So at first you claimed he did nothing to try and fix it and now that you are being shown he did the timing of it is your new position?

This system you're trying to whatabout into a talking point is futile anyway. The app doesn't even work. But we'll assume they work out the kinks and it's at least fully functional someday... We'll try math, I assume you learned a little of that starting about 50 years ago. This system can process 200 people a day. There are well over 10,000 at the border everyday. You know what their number one excuse is now? "The app won't work". Why? Because it doesn't lol (who would really expect it to).

Sooo...

Some silly "asylum app" makes no difference whatsoever when your policy is also to let them in the country on a parole system when the border station is over capacity.

This really isn't that hard. Well, for some.

You do understand that if you can't use the app that means you don't qualify to come into the country to apply for asylum, right? And did you know that less than 50% of asylum seekers are actually granted asylum? The guidelines to qualify for asylum are pretty narrow. If they must fill out the application before they enter the country, many of them will never enter the country in the first place because the reasons they are seeking asylum for are not valied. I know, you're now going to shift from "He did nothing" to "yeah but he did it too late!"

Then how do you explain that the Republicans didn't propose any reform to immigration policies until now? Are you gong to hold them to the same threshold that they acting too late? Or do you have some special rule that only applies to one side?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I can't find any cartoons that will help explain this. I've tried everything else.

We'll just say you're right... Biden has been doing an excellent job of dealing with this problem. He played no part in creating it, it was all the fault of a lazy congress; mostly the republican side of it.

We done?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Illegal immigration wasn't a problem until it went beyond border states.

Kudos for Southern Governors who decided to start shipping these people elsewhere.

Now all of a sudden it is a crisis.

Funny how that works. As long as the problem is in the south, you can blame southerners for being racist. Once it moves up north..."well, wait a minute"

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I can't find any cartoons that will help explain this. I've tried everything else.

Lord knows you tried.

We'll just say you're right... Biden has been doing an excellent job of dealing with this problem. He played no part in creating it, it was all the fault of a lazy congress; mostly the republican side of it.

We done?

That would be great if I had ever have said that. But that's not what I have said at all. Your claim was that Biden had done nothing. My claim was that he has taken some measures to help address it. Which is true. Nothing more and nothing less. You're the one here choosing sides and trying to place all the blame in one direction. I'm saying there's guilt on both sides.

If your claim is Biden has been lazy in dealing with the immigration problem then so has congress. If you don't believe that congress has been lazy dealing with the immigration problem then neither has Biden. Both are at fault for the current situation. I'm the one saying there's enough blame to go around. You're the one trying to claim all the blame goes in only one direction.

We done?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by Ballpeen
Illegal immigration wasn't a problem until it went beyond border states.

Kudos for Southern Governors who decided to start shipping these people elsewhere.

Now all of a sudden it is a crisis.

Funny how that works. As long as the problem is in the south, you can blame southerners for being racist. Once it moves up north..."well, wait a minute"

It's always been a problem but sadly in almost every case people aren't pro active. Instead they're reactive. That's pretty much a two way street and not restricted to one party or another. So I certainly agree until the non border states were directly impacted by the problem they wouldn't consider the gravity of the problem so I also give Republican governors in border states for sending illegal immigrants to other states. But you frame it in a way that's far too typical.

It isn't about some crazy claim you make about "southerners being racist". It's about people not understanding the gravity of the problem until it hits them in the face. The only things I wish those governors would have done differently is if they hadn't sent them to "people's homes" to use them as political pawns. And I do wish they would have told the governments where they were sending them that they were doing so. That way they would have been better prepared to have taken care of them upon their arrival.

I'm certainly against illegal immigration but despite all of that, they're still human beings.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Lord knows you tried.

Here. Maybe this will explain. Here's Biden's approach to fixing a disaster that he created:

[Linked Image from media1.giphy.com]

We done?

We are now.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I see, in your world accountability can only be pointed in one direction. I expected that.

#gmstrong
K
All Pro
All Pro
K
The reason we cannot get “comprehensive immigration reform is pretty simple. One political party insists that CIR must include amnesty for most of the people who have entered the country illegally. The vast vast majority of Americans oppose that. Any time someone floats the amnesty idea DC phones get swamped.

There are things that can be done. One thing is to get the Mexican President to use his military to seal his southern border. Many of these people are coming all the way thru Mexico and he can stop that flow. In addition, the thousands who are crossing illegally not at a port of entry should be stopped , loaded on a bus and taken home. All of those who enter at a port of entry and request asylum should be adjudicated promptly no matter the costs. No matter how many judges we pay it is cheaper than providing cell phones, health care and education to millions of illegals. Under no circumstances should anyone be released into our country.

The hard working American people do not deserve this burden. Many are struggling to get by and yet are being asked to support people who have come here illegally.

We are a country and countries have borders. Non Americans do not have a right to be here. Americans have a right to determine who can immigrate here.

1 member likes this: FATE
P
Legend
Legend
P
First of all, right now the House has a majority of Republicans. Why would they propose legislation that would provide amnesty? Then there's this...

Migrant crossings down dramatically under Title 8: Sources

The U.S. was bracing for an influx of migrants after Title 42 expired

Instead, illegal crossings have plummetted, sources tell NewsNation

Mayorkas says safe and legal paths to enter the U.S. are still available

(NewsNation) — Since the expiration of Title 42, the U.S. is relying heavily on Title 8 to address migrant crossings at the southern border.

Under Title 8, migrants can once again apply for legal pathways to enter the U.S., but it can also lead to deportation. Unlike Title 42, deportation under Title 8 usually means an individual is banned from entering the U.S. for five years.

One of the main differences between the two policies is Title 8 gives migrants more time to file asylum claims.

Federal and state officials were bracing for a massive surge of migrants crossing into the country after the lifting of the COVID-era border policy known as Title 42.

In Texas, officials anticipated up to 13,000 illegal crossings per day but the opposite has happened, and illegal crossings have plummeted since the restriction’s expiration, sources tell NewsNation.

Earlier this week, over 2,000 migrants were sleeping in the alleys and streets around Sacred Heart Church in El Paso, Texas. Now, that number is down to a couple hundred.

In the days leading up to Title 42 lifting, the southern border has seen apprehension numbers spike past 10,000 for three straight days. Customs and Border Protection tells NewsNation that agents apprehended roughly 6,300 migrants on Friday, the first day after Title 42 was removed.

On Saturday, agents apprehended 4,300 migrants, a significant drop from apprehensions earlier in the week.

“There is a safe, lawful and orderly way to reach the United States and seek humanitarian relief. And that is through the lawful pathways that we have expanded. Under President Biden’s leadership,” Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said, referring to the dropping numbers of apprehensions.

However, migrants now face tougher limitations for crossing illegally between the ports of entry under Title 8.

The use of Title 8 is not new. It was used prior to the Trump administration, but will now be the main authority when it comes to processing migrants.

The Texas National Guard set up miles-long barrier razor wires to prevent migrants from crossing illegally into El Paso, which also played a role in a decreased number of illegal crossings. Several migrants told NewsNation that human smugglers communicated to migrants that stricter asylum restrictions were coming after May 11, creating a pre-surge ahead of the lifting of Title 42.

Currently, there are about 10,000 migrants in Juarez, Mexico, who are afraid to cross illegally into the U.S. out of deportation fears, sources tell NewsNation.

Migrants wanting to come into the U.S. legally must schedule an asylum interview on the CBP One app, a notoriously difficult-to-use app.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-ne...ge/migrant-crossings-down-under-title-8/

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Austin, San Diego, Nashville, and Albuquerque are real-life (non-mainstream) examples of why the liberal agenda doesn't work.

Austin, Nashville, and San Diego are falling apart at the seams and Albuquerque is one of the most dangerous liberal places in the county.

Locals encourage you not to go out after dark downtown.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
O
Legend
Legend
O
Another disgusting rightwing trigger keyword story… Chicago… Immigrants… Open… armed… sanctuary city… BOOGIE WOOGIE WOOGIE BOO! Smfh. Some people will fall for anything and allow themselves to be led around like pigs with rings in their noses (sheep is worn out), bleating like lambs.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
Austin, San Diego, Nashville, and Albuquerque are real-life (non-mainstream) examples of why the liberal agenda doesn't work.

Austin, Nashville, and San Diego are falling apart at the seams and Albuquerque is one of the most dangerous liberal places in the county.

Locals encourage you not to go out after dark downtown.

Really? Nashville is huge tourist destination where a lot of the activities not only happen after dark but are scheduled after dark. I can tell by your statement you know nothing about Nashville. As with all cities and even large towns of any size, there are certainly areas you would be best not to be out in late at night, but that certainly doesn't speak for the city as a whole. But this is the typical retort made by those wishing to make a broad statement that is false.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Six on FBI terror watchlist arrested on US border in two days – bringing 2023 total to 88
https://nypost.com/2023/05/16/5-migrants-nabbed-in-arizona-were-on-fbi-terror-list-report/

Six potential terrorists were detained by border patrol as they tried to illegally enter the US from Mexico on Friday and Saturday – marking 88 people on the same FBI watchlist nabbed on the border in 2023.
It is highly likely the 2023 total terror watchlist arrests will surpass the 98 recorded in 2022 and set a new record, as there are still four months to go until the end of the Department of Homeland Security’s financial year on September 30.
In 2021 only 16 non-US citizens on the FBI’s terror watchlist were apprehended at the border, while for each year between 2017 and 2020 the number was less than 10.
Meanwhile, 330 alleged gang members have apprehended at the border in 2023 as of April 18, including 97 members of feared MS-13 and 65 members of Paisas as well as members of the Latin Kings, 18th Street, Tango Blast and Sur-13 Surenos gangs.
There were 67,759 apprehensions, and about 15,780 “gotaways” who came over the border without being caught last week alone, USBP Chief Raul Ortiz said.

Tackles are tackles.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Chicago, a sanctuary city

Link Copied to Clipboard