Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/17/tech/montana-governor-tiktok/index.html

Montana governor bans TikTok

Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte signed a bill Wednesday banning TikTok in the state.

Gianforte tweeted that he has banned TikTok in Montana “to protect Montanans’ personal and private data from the Chinese Communist Party,” officially making it the first state to ban the social media application.

The controversial law marks the furthest step yet by a state government to restrict TikTok over perceived security concerns and comes as some federal lawmakers have called for a national ban of TikTok. But it is expected to be challenged in court.

The bill, which will take effect in January, specifically names TikTok as its target, prohibiting the app from operating within state lines. The law also outlines potential fines of $10,000 per day for violators, including app stores found to host the social media application.

Last month, lawmakers in Montana’s House of Representatives voted 54-43 to pass the bill, known as SB419, sending it to Gianforte’s desk.

In a statement to CNN, TikTok said it would push to defend the rights of users in Montana.

“Governor Gianforte has signed a bill that infringes on the First Amendment rights of the people of Montana by unlawfully banning TikTok, a platform that empowers hundreds of thousands of people across the state. We want to reassure Montanans that they can continue using TikTok to express themselves, earn a living, and find community as we continue working to defend the rights of our users inside and outside of Montana.”

The law comes as TikTok faces growing criticism for its ties to China. TikTok is owned by China-based ByteDance. Many US officials have expressed fears that the Chinese government could potentially access US data via TikTok for spying purposes, though there is so far no evidence that the Chinese government has ever accessed personal information of US-based TikTok users.

Shou Chew, chief executive of TikTok Inc., speaks during a House Energy and Commerce Committee hearing in Washington, DC, US, on Thursday, March 23, 2023. The TikTok chief executive officer plans to tell Congress his app does more to protect young users than rival social media and that Beijing has no authority over its data, invoking familiar arguments to head off a US ban orforced sale. Photographer: Al Drago/Bloomberg via Getty Images
TikTok CEO in the hot seat: 5 takeaways from his first appearance before Congress
NetChoice, a technology trade group that includes TikTok as a member, called the Montana bill unconstitutional.

“The government may not block our ability to access constitutionally protected speech – whether it is in a newspaper, on a website or via an app. In implementing this law, Montana ignores the U.S. Constitution, due process and free speech by denying access to a website and apps their citizens want to use,” said Carl Szabo, NetChoice’s general counsel.

The ACLU also pushed back on the bill, releasing a statement saying that “with this ban, Governor Gianforte and the Montana legislature have trampled on the free speech of hundreds of thousands of Montanans who use the app to express themselves, gather information, and run their small business in the name of anti-Chinese sentiment.”

On Wednesday, Gianforte signed a separate executive order that prohibits the use of any social media application “tied to foreign adversaries” on government devices, including ByteDance-owned CapCut and Lemon8, and Telegram Messenger, which was created while the founder lived in Russia, but is based in Dubai.

Update: This story has been updated to clarify Telegram’s origins.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
First off I believe anyone that uses TicTok is a fool considering China is obviously data mining. That being said the first amendment doesn’t seem to hold the same level of urgency that the second amendment does with our Goper leaders. Wonder why?

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted by PerfectSpiral
First off I believe anyone that uses TicTok is a fool considering China is obviously data mining. That being said the first amendment doesn’t seem to hold the same level of urgency that the second amendment does with our Goper leaders. Wonder why?

1. I agree
2. a fun fact about the first amendment...TV, radio, and newspapers are basically controlled the same way as Montana is going to restrict tik tok.

Legend
Legend
2. How so?

– Jackie Robinson
M
Legend
Legend
M
Not a fan of Tik Tok for a variety of reasons and I think there are massive unrealized consequences socially and otherwise, but this obviously violates 1st Amendment rights.

The last sentence of the last tweet is golden.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
2. How so?

Broadcast is controlled by the government through the FCC under Title 47
https://www.ecfr.gov/current/title-47

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/fcc-and-speech
The FCC has limited legal authority to act on complaints relating to the content of television or radio programming.

The Federal Communications Commission regulates interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories. An independent U.S. government agency overseen by Congress, the commission is the United States' primary authority for communications law, regulation and technological innovation.

https://www.fcc.gov/media/over-air-reception-devices-rule

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
While I don't agree that the government should ban TikTok (or speech in general) all they need to do is take a page from the gun grabbers playbook and claim it serves an important interest in preserving the public safety. This has been the second step in the two step for a long time, and been highly effective.

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think that the legislation if narrowly directed at Tic-Toc, will not survive a court challenge. That said, legislation that bans entities that use data mining software that located in China or have servers based in China or any number of other countries (Russia, North Korea, etc.) would be more plausible.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Ridiculous.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by WooferDawg
I think that the legislation if narrowly directed at Tic-Toc, will not survive a court challenge. That said, legislation that bans entities that use data mining software that located in China or have servers based in China or any number of other countries (Russia, North Korea, etc.) would be more plausible.

When limiting an enumerated right the minimum level of scrutiny should be strict scrutiny. This would require the limitation to be as narrowly tailored as possible to meet the stated end of the state, which should be a provable outcome as well. Broadly banning an application just because it has servers in China would not meet this level of scrutiny.

E
Legend
Legend
E
The servers are not in China. They are in the US. I am fine with TikTok being gone. My friend (wrongly) got into legal trouble due to being hacked on tiktok. Good riddens for that crappy site to be gone.

Banning one site wont stop China. They have plenty of other apps to steal your data.

No Craps Given
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by EveDawg
The servers are not in China. They are in the US. I am fine with TikTok being gone. My friend (wrongly) got into legal trouble due to being hacked on tiktok. Good riddens for that crappy site to be gone.

Banning one site wont stop China. They have plenty of other apps to steal your data.

I've been a big fan of banning stuff just to keep people "safe". The world isn't safe, be vigilant.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I’ll give you props on your legal POV, and takes you’ve shared. Too bad you are so enamored with team red.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
I’ll give you props on your legal POV, and takes you’ve shared. Too bad you are so enamored with team red.

I'm not really enamoured with either team. I want government to stop trying to fix us and treating us like they are out parents. Government is a necessary evil (and sometimes it can be truly evil) and I think we need to limit how much of it we have and put it at specific tasks. Telling me I can or can't watch stupid TikTok challenges is not one of those tasks it is suited for.

M
Legend
Legend
M

Translation: I like your legal knowledge and acumen until it disagrees with my political leanings regardless of legality.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by MemphisBrownie

Translation: I like your legal knowledge and acumen until it disagrees with my political leanings regardless of legality.

Dude, this place is rife with confirmation bias like that. C'mon man.. you know better. Don't make me get your gang membership reduced to the plebe level. rofl

1 member likes this: MemphisBrownie
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted by FrankZ

I've been a big fan of banning stuff just to keep people "safe". The world isn't safe, be vigilant.

You forgot the purple.

No Craps Given
O
Legend
Legend
O
Anarchist. Jk, good on you. you’re awake. But the way you and Pit go back and forth had me convinced you’re a GOPer. And I’ll be the first to tell you that if I don’t think I’ll like what you have to say, I ignore what you say. My bad, if I was wrong, but some of those post with pit screamed trumpian. And I don’t get defending their POV, not post J6 anyway. The military in me won’t ever let that ish slide. Anyone supporting that or Trump is no better than the idiots who committed the worst attack on the US Capitol in our history if you ask me. I got nothing for them but a desire to see them pay dearly.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by superbowldogg
2. How so?

The FCC has limited legal authority to act on complaints relating to the content of television or radio programming.

The Federal Communications Commission regulates interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable in all 50 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories. An independent U.S. government agency overseen by Congress, the commission is the United States' primary authority for communications law, regulation and technological innovation.

Montana really doesn’t have the authority to override FCC regulations of interstate and international communications by radio, wire, satellite and cable. But Montana will no doubt test the legalities at the cost of US American tax payers. What a shame.

– Jackie Robinson
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

You forgot the purple.

Sorry.. I really forgot the "not"

"'ve not been a big fan of banning stuff..."

But thanks for pointing out the inconsistency.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Anarchist. Jk, good on you. you’re awake. But the way you and Pit go back and forth had me convinced you’re a GOPer. And I’ll be the first to tell you that if I don’t think I’ll like what you have to say, I ignore what you say. My bad, if I was wrong, but some of those post with pit screamed trumpian. And I don’t get defending their POV, not post J6 anyway. The military in me won’t ever let that ish slide. Anyone supporting that or Trump is no better than the idiots who committed the worst attack on the US Capitol in our history if you ask me. I got nothing for them but a desire to see them pay dearly.

If you aren't paying attention to what I say then how do you know what I say?

Let me see if I can make it clear. I don't care for politicians to start with. Trump got me a Federal judiciary that moved back toward center. I know you think it is all right winger now, but there was too much left wing influence. I want good solid decisions not based solely on ideology. We can't get rid of people's ideology but we can temper it with keeping a good balance.

With the civil suit nonsense, it wasn't Trump that I was defending, it was the legal process. Period. You don't see me yelling Biden should be in jail. He'd not been convicted of a crime. That isn't to say an investigation isn't warranted, but I don't know if it is. I am sick and tired of the political elite getting away with sending us out to war with each other while they couldn't give a rat's patootie about us just so they don't have to work real jobs and get rich doing it. It isn't left or right, it is all of em. Is was better when tar and feathers was more in fashion.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
2. How so?

Montana really doesn’t have the authority to override FCC regulations of interstate and international communications by radio, wire, satellite and cable. But Montana will no doubt test the legalities at the cost of US American tax payers. What a shame.

Actually Montanna does. State always superceds federal.

However, Montana is attempting to take the same approach the fcc is doing with broadcast and print.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
2. How so?

However, Montana is attempting to take the same approach the fcc is doing with broadcast and print.

Article 6 disagrees:

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

The Federal mandates override state law unless the power is prohibited to the Federal government.

10A
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

That said when one digs into actual communications law, there may be a case made if the FCC doesn't already have regulations that would prohibit a state from doing or if congress hasn't passed laws prohibiting such.

Legend
Legend
2. How so?

Montana really doesn’t have the
authority to override FCC regulations of interstate and international communications by radio, wire, satellite and cable. But Montana will no doubt test the legalities at the cost of US American tax payers. What a shame.

Let the law suits begin. And US tax payers will pay for it.

– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O

If you aren't paying attention to what I say then how do you know what I say?

Let me see if I can make it clear. I don't care for politicians to start with. Trump got me a Federal judiciary that moved back toward center. I know you think it is all right winger now, but there was too much left wing influence. I want good solid decisions not based solely on ideology. We can't get rid of people's ideology but we can temper it with keeping a good balance.

With the civil suit nonsense, it wasn't Trump that I was defending, it was the legal process. Period. You don't see me yelling Biden should be in jail. He'd not been convicted of a crime. That isn't to say an investigation isn't warranted, but I don't know if it is. I am sick and tired of the political elite getting away with sending us out to war with each other while they couldn't give a rat's patootie about us just so they don't have to work real jobs and get rich doing it. It isn't left or right, it is all of em. Is was better when tar and feathers was more in fashion.

We strongly disagree on the judiciary, but I get you now. Again, my bad, I just have zero tolerance for MAGA AND TRUMP. IT’S MY PERSONAL MISSION TO HATE ALL THINGS TRUMP/MAGA UNTIL IT IS NO MORE. That’s not fixation, it’s response. I don’t think he’s electable anymore, but until the base is convinced it’s over for MAGA, the fight must go on. And I’m progressive in most of my values these days, yet, I still consider myself independent. I like to be very common sense when it comes to solving problems. Neither left nor right do that anymore. Seems like the world doesn’t from my POV. But OMG, some of the things the right has pulled since OBAMA was elected are just putrid and vile. I’d go so far as to say the most un-American I could imagine, and I have a very good imagination. So I come across as far far left to them. I get that, but don’t care. And I really don’t like being nasty with people, but I don’t deal well seeing this place overrun with trumpism and my inner nutcase says get ‘em. This is really the only place outside of my home that I discuss politics. Less the occasional post on twitter, fb, or elsewhere.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/18/23 08:43 PM.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
2. How so?

Article 6 disagrees:

This Constitution, and the laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the Constitution or laws of any State to the contrary notwithstanding.

The Federal mandates override state law unless the power is prohibited to the Federal government.

10A
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

That said when one digs into actual communications law, there may be a case made if the FCC doesn't already have regulations that would prohibit a state from doing or if congress hasn't passed laws prohibiting such.

FCC doesn't control the internet.... hence the rub. Montana has the power on this one.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
FCC doesn't control the internet.... hence the rub. Montana has the power on this one.

The Federal Communications Commission regulates interstate and international communications through cable, radio, television, satellite and wire. The goal of the Commission is to promote connectivity and ensure a robust and competitive market.

It seems it is part of what they do.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

The Federal Communications Commission regulates interstate and international communications through cable, radio, television, satellite and wire. The goal of the Commission is to promote connectivity and ensure a robust and competitive market.

100% inaccurate. Most people don’t know that though.

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/fcc-and-speech#:~:text=The%20FCC%20does%20not%20regulate,restraints%20and%20obligations%20on%20broadcasters.

The FCC does not regulate any online content.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

https://www.fcc.gov/consumers/guides/fcc-and-speech#:~:text=The%20FCC%20does%20not%20regulate,restraints%20and%20obligations%20on%20broadcasters.

The FCC controls distribution methods and communications. If they aren't involved the FTC could be. They do have say in content.

How does Montana expect to make this happen?

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer

The FCC controls distribution methods and communications. If they aren't involved the FTC could be. They do have say in content.

FTC only deals with trade. They don't control access or content just making sure things are fair and not deceptive.

Montana seems to be well within their rights to make this happen and I would expect other states will follow suit one way or a variation of how Montana did it.

Legend
Legend
I'm an adult (most of the time) so I'm capable of defending myself or at least able to ask for help when needed.

I don't need the government trying to save me. Children are another story. I worry about kids on Tic Tok and other apps.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

FTC only deals with trade. They don't control access or content just making sure things are fair and not deceptive.

Montana seems to be well within their rights to make this happen and I would expect other states will follow suit one way or a variation of how Montana did it.

The FTC controls COPA. And banning TikTok is banning commerce.

Montana won't win this in court. If nothing else that pesky 1A will get in the way.

1 member likes this: PerfectSpiral
P
Legend
Legend
P
Something I saw in an article concerning this topic I found quite disturbing. It appears Montana's governor not only is attempting to block TicTok, his intent is to also put controls on other social media apps. I'm only posting the part of the article that pertains to that but the entire article can be found at the link.

The governor indicated he wants to expand the bill to other social media apps in order to address some of the bill’s “technical and legal concerns.” But the legislature adjourned before sending him the bill, which meant he couldn’t offer his amendments.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/economy/can-montana-enforce-a-tiktok-ban

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I’m going to laugh my ass off when all the MAGA haters and supremacy groups in Montana can’t access their hate groups online.

– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
While I don't agree that the government should ban TikTok (or speech in general) all they need to do is take a page from the gun grabbers playbook and claim it serves an important interest in preserving the public safety. This has been the second step in the two step for a long time, and been highly effective.

So you claim I'm the one who tried to divert the thread away from the topic? "Mah guns! Murica!"

And how has that been highly effective again? And in case you missed it, which you clearly did as per usual, I'm not the one who brought up your supposed legal skills. I just commented on it.

Once again you're trying too hard. If you don't want a thread to go off the rails, stop driving the thread off the rails.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I will suggest that Facebook and Google support the ban of Tic-Toc.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
Legend
Legend
P
From a business standpoint that makes sense. But then one would have to ask, what will they say when the government comes after them? From a long term perspective I would suggest it would be in their own best interest to back TicTok. But then again, they must consider the political blow back from such a move in today's world. I mean they certainly wouldn't want to end up being the next Disney or Bud Light.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG

So you claim I'm the one who tried to divert the thread away from the topic? "Mah guns! Murica!"

And how has that been highly effective again? And in case you missed it, which you clearly did as per usual, I'm not the one who brought up your supposed legal skills. I just commented on it.

Once again you're trying too hard. If you don't want a thread to go off the rails, stop driving the thread off the rails.

When you decided to make me the ficus if you comments instead if the thread topic you tried to take it off the rails. And you continue to do so. The only one trying hard here is you, trying hard to make a fight.

Try addressing the topic instead of me. Or am I all you care about here?

Last edited by FrankZ; 05/19/23 02:47 PM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I actually don't care about you at all but see the humor in your games and love to point them out. I'll translate them for those following along...

"If I take a thread about TicTok and turn it into a gun issue that's fine. I can derail a thread into mah guns any time I like. But if Pit or anyone else takes it in another direction I don't like, I will accuse them of doing what I had already done. It's okay if I do it, but not anyone else."

You just love to create a double standard and then accuse others of being the people who start the fight.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I actually don't care about you at all but see the humor in your games and love to point them out. I'll translate them for those following along...

"If I take a thread about TicTok and turn it into a gun issue that's fine. I can derail a thread into mah guns any time I like. But if Pit or anyone else takes it in another direction I don't like, I will accuse them of doing what I had already done. It's okay if I do it, but not anyone else."

You just love to create a double standard and then accuse others of being the people who start the fight.

And yet only you seemed to need to complain and take the thread off topic. Not like that was my only post. But try and try you really have nothing meaningful to say.

Last edited by FrankZ; 05/19/23 03:09 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Montana governor bans TikTok

Link Copied to Clipboard