OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
9 members like this: Ballpeen, ScottPlayersFacemask, DaveyD
Legend
Legend
well deserved

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Hopefully that adds to the argument for him to be the actual NFL DPoY.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

2nd String
2nd String
Glad they voted for the man and not the stats for once.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I think the love for MG is helped or tied to how well the D is doing as well. Being a Phenom on a team that perennially is below average it's hard to get the recognition. Being a stud on one/the best defense in the NFL makes it much easier to get the kudos and recognition.

There is a great free article on The Athletic today on Schwartz and the D. I'll post it below.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
https://theathletic.com/5188477/202...?source=ukdailyemail&campaign=711528

Jim Schwartz has the Browns’ defense excelling with effort, passion and plenty of swag
Zac Jackson
Jan 11, 2024

In what was a celebratory locker room following the Browns’ first win of what’s become a wildly successful but still ongoing season, new defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz emerged from his game day office and began his walk toward the parking lot. Cleveland had just delivered a TKO to the Cincinnati Bengals, and Schwartz was strutting like he was Conor McGregor.

His chin was up. His chest was out. He nodded at the group of defensive linemen who occupied the end of the locker room closest to the exit, but he didn’t stop to chat.

Within a few seconds, Schwartz was gone. The run of jaw-dropping defensive performances was just beginning.

Fast forward almost exactly four months, and the Browns are one of the NFL’s best stories in large part because they’re the league’s first team in eight years to win a game with four different starting quarterbacks. Joe Flacco has gone from a forced semi-retirement to flinging touchdown passes at will, energizing an offense that had to remake itself multiple times.

Joe Flacco has found comfort in leading a Browns team he's learning on the fly

But the Browns are truly dangerous this month because of their defense, a swarming unit that’s still trying to throw haymakers — and mostly landing them. The 2023 season rolls on almost exactly a year after Schwartz ended a semi-retirement of his own, returning to the place where his NFL career started in 1993, and to the kind of lead role he wasn’t sure he’d have again.

Medical issues had pushed Schwartz away from his role as the Philadelphia Eagles’ defensive coordinator after the 2020 season, ending a five-year run that included a Super Bowl title. Schwartz, the head coach in Detroit from 2009 to 2013, spent 2021 and 2022 as a consultant and senior assistant with the Tennessee Titans, with whom he’d previously been defensive coordinator from 2001-2008 before taking the Lions job.

Though he was feeling better and had been cleared by his doctors, Schwartz didn’t necessarily need another coordinator role. But with the Browns, he saw an opportunity to make his mark.

“The very first meeting, he didn’t say that we were gonna lead the NFL in turnovers or sacks,” Browns cornerback Greg Newsome II said. “He said we were gonna lead the NFL in these three things: effort, passion and swag. And right away, he had guys’ attention.

“He’s loud and he’s direct, but he’s not just saying it. He basically said, ‘Here’s the blueprint, here’s what I’ve done earlier in my career and here’s how we get there with this team.’ He never said it was going to be easy, and he even said eight or nine games into the season everything won’t fully be in place, but we’ll be getting there. And now, just about everything he said has been done.”

Browns general manager Andrew Berry and the team’s personnel staff are on a pretty good run of finding the right players to fill the team’s needs. But in 2022, Cleveland swung and missed in attempting to re-work the defensive line, something that showed up on multiple fronts (and in multiple games), and the run defense struggled as a result. Following the season, it was clear that change was coming. And it was necessary.

As the Browns enter their wild-card date with the Houston Texans on Saturday, they now have a clear defensive identity and a play caller who’s delivered on the game’s biggest stage.

“I was telling the guys the other day that I see some similarities (here) with the 2017 Eagles team (that won the Super Bowl),” Schwartz said. “Probably the biggest one is how much the players enjoy each other. They genuinely root for each other.”

Lloyd: For the Browns, the magical, unexpected postseason ride begins

With the occasional sideline and locker room strut, Schwartz is essentially playing follow the leader. But there are multiple leaders. Myles Garrett might be the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year, and Schwartz’s schemes have allowed Garrett the flexibility to move around at times to pick his matchup and antagonize opposing quarterbacks and play callers. In September, the Titans got caught attempting to use two tight ends to help on Garrett, who simply kept moving before the snap and didn’t allow the extra blockers to get set.

In Garrett and cornerback Denzel Ward, the Browns had their defensive centerpieces. In Newsome, fellow cornerback Martin Emerson Jr., linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah and safety Grant Delpit, they had heavy draft investments in players the team thought were uniquely skilled. In hopes of maximizing those assets, the Browns hired Schwartz and signed defensive tackle Dalvin Tomlinson and edge rusher Ogbo Okoronkwo on the first day of free agency. They added Za’Darius Smith via trade in May, and they kept adding to the defensive line group through mid-August.

“Coach Schwartz’s biggest thing was the identity: being physical and having fun,” Tomlinson said. “His two big rules are you have to have swag and you have to play harder than anybody else. So I don’t know what the numbers are exactly, but I know they’re pretty good and I know they match the energy we brought out there every single rep. That was his biggest thing from the very start.”

The Browns’ defense ranked No. 1 in several statistical categories this season. (Nick Cammett / Diamond Images via Getty Images)
Before the playoff-clinched Browns sat most of their starters for the regular-season finale, they were the league’s No. 1 defense in total yards per game (266.6), yards per play (4.5), passing yards per game (165.9), opponent third-down conversion percentage (29.4), three-and-out percentage (48.6), defensive success rate (64.1), percentage of opposing drives ending in punts (50.5), percentage of opposing drives ending in points (23.8) and splash plays (417), a Pro Football Focus stat that adds sacks, tackles for loss, forced fumbles, third- and fourth-down stops and other significant plays into one category. Basically, the kinds of plays that call for extra celebration. Schwartz told his players during training camp that any splash play that wasn’t celebrated with teammates would be graded by the coaches as a loaf.

“It’s easy to celebrate when (you’re winning),” Schwartz said. “Sometimes it’s harder when you’re getting kicked in the teeth, but we still want to see that, and we still want guys to play hard, play together, and we’re going to find ways to get that done.”

In Week 3, the Browns held the Titans to 94 yards and one field goal on a three-and-out following a turnover. In Week 9, the Browns held the Arizona Cardinals to 58 total yards in the franchise’s first shutout since 2007. When the regular season concluded on Sunday, the Browns’ average yards allowed per game was the lowest by any team since the 2014 Seattle Seahawks, the opponent’s third-down conversion rate was the lowest since the 2019 New England Patriots and the 253 first downs allowed were 45 fewer than the next-best defense.

The numbers look good on digital paper. But the disruption that led to the Browns’ defense quickly getting off the field turned into numbers that translated into scoring chances and wins. Cleveland had won four straight in December to clinch a playoff berth and allow its starters to rest in the season finale. Until mid-December, the Browns were recording three-and-outs more often than they weren’t. The average opponent time of possession in the first 16 games was just 27:11, and the Browns ran almost 200 more offensive plays (1,134 to 943, taking out punts and penalties) than their opponents. Through Week 17, the Browns had run 53 more plays than the team in second place.

Schwartz likes to say that when the Browns are at their best, it should look like there are 15 players on the field on defense. For much of the season, it did look that way. The Browns were No. 6 in the league in sacks and No. 2 in total defensive DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average). But those involved say they consider the defense a success more on the cohesiveness of the unit and hunger to improve than what shows up on the stat sheet.

“Nobody’s been selfish about it,” linebacker and team captain Anthony Walker Jr. said. “Myles Garrett might be the scariest dude on the planet, but he’s out there coaching guys up and rooting for the rookies the same as everybody else.”

When Schwartz offered something resembling an apology for using some colorful language during training camp, Garrett chuckled.

“He talks like he’s this big, bad guy, (but) he’s a good guy,” Garrett said. “I like Schwartz a lot. Nobody brings to this team the kind of mentality he brings. Just every day, coming to the building, on the practice field, keeping guys focused and getting the most out of us. That’s big for us because you can’t have any dropoff. At the end of the day, he expects a lot.”

“I like Schwartz a lot. Nobody brings to this team the kind of mentality he brings,” said Myles Garrett, who finished with double-digit sacks (14) for the sixth consecutive season. (Nick Cammett / Diamond Images via Getty Images)
Part of Schwartz’s high expectations was that the Browns would need to prove themselves. They’d need to adjust and add defensive packages. They’d find teams who had counters to their attack-first mentality. Week 1 was nice — and celebration-worthy — but it was just one game.

“From day one in the spring, the (focus was) the small details, go fast where you’re supposed to go and play the way we’re coached,” Walker said. “Know the assignment and bring that passion to it.

“His emphasis was always that the only stats he cares about are the badassery, toughness, effort and swag. That’s been his consistent message all year through the highs and lows. He never talks like, ‘Hey, we need a turnover or we need a sack in this specific spot.’ He just said if we play the way we want to play, with those things and that passion, that everything will happen for you more than it doesn’t. That’s come true.”

A few days after Newsome struggled in a late November loss in Denver, Schwartz started a defensive meeting by telling his players to not worry about the third-year cornerback. He repeated that it’s easy to celebrate when things are going well, but you can potentially slip if caught looking ahead — or peeking into the backfield.

“He just kind of told me and told the team that I was a good player and I’d be back to playing well soon,” Newsome said. “The message was just that everybody has a bad game, but if you stay on top of things, you won’t have many bad games.

“It was like what he said early on. ‘If you stay on top of things and you do the work, everybody starts to believe in what’s going on.'”

One mid-December moment affirmed for Schwartz that his messages were truly being received. The Browns trailed the Bears by seven after Chicago returned an interception for a touchdown early in the third quarter. Later in that quarter, a muffed punt by the Bears set the Browns up with prime field position and a chance to cut into what by then was a 10-point lead. But for the second time in that third quarter, Cleveland was intercepted on its first play.

Schwartz had seen something similar play out before, and he’d seen lesser — and less unified — teams have players throw their helmets or start pointing fingers. But the Browns responded by getting a turnover on downs. That set the stage for Flacco to eventually heat up and lead Cleveland to an improbable comeback win, one that allowed the team to clinch a playoff spot ahead of the season’s final week. After the Bears kicked a field goal to go up 17-7 midway through the third quarter, they got three first downs on six possessions the rest of the way.

“It’s easy for culture to be good when things are going well,” Schwartz said. “I mean, it’s sort of the definition of being a front-runner, right? When things are going great, everybody can be the first guy in the meeting, and everybody can be unselfish. … When you experience some injuries or you experience a couple of losses in a row or any of those things, when you don’t have good culture, all of a sudden you start seeing guys that become maybe a little bit selfish or guys start dropping off.

“We haven’t seen that from this team. This team has been resilient, particularly recently. We’ve had to deal with a lot of injury situations. You’ve seen unselfishness from players. … But, you know, I found with our guys, when you bring things to their attention, when you ask something from them, they’ve responded really well.”

Tomlinson, a seven-year veteran, said he believes “player-led teams are always better than coach-led teams. Coach Schwartz is a great coach, but he believes the same thing. He made his installs, he made his points, then he gave us the keys. He’s got his own swag to him, and guys love that.”

When Kevin Stefanski introduced Schwartz in January of last year, the Browns’ head coach said Schwartz’s resume “speaks for itself” and that his experience could help the Browns.

“He’s done a great job, really, from day one with him to now,” Stefanski said. “He’s done everything that I’ve asked of him. He’s been a great confidant for me, somebody I can walk in and talk to and bounce a lot of things off of him. Just with history, he’s been a head coach, he’s been a coordinator, he’s won a Super Bowl. So he’s just been invaluable to me. And then, obviously, you look at our defense and the way we’ve played, that’s a big part of Jim and this coaching staff. I think those guys have done a great job, but Jim’s right there leading the way.”

And, more than occasionally, with a strut.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
6 members like this: Homewood Dog, FATE, PitDAWG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jc..

Watching all the different ways teams used to try to stop MG, especially the blatant holding that went UNCALLED by the NFL officials...a well deserved and overdue award for Myles.

If only the rest of the Browns defensive players worked as hard as Myles does to be the best player he can, teams would not be dropping 45 freaking points on the defense.

Last edited by mac; 01/19/24 04:25 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
1 member likes this: GMdawg
B
Legend
Legend
B
Nice to be honored, but that is like a Peoples Choice award. It's cool to have but one is really trying for the Oscar or Tony award.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Nice article about JS. Now we're probably trying to do the same thing with the O. Can't wait to see whom we hire.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by Homewood Dog
Nice article about JS. Now we're probably trying to do the same thing with the O. Can't wait to see whom we hire.

This says Darrell Bevell is a candidate. Miami pass game coordinator. I don't know how accurate this might be.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...ense-linked-to-browns-oc-job/ar-BB1gY6iu

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
PSA: Andrew Berry will be having a press conference today at 11AM EST for those that can listen.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I say Klint Kubiak will be the next OC.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
I say Stefanski ends up not hiring anyone and gives himself the title of HC/OC (Omniscient Caller) and Emperor.

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: ScottPlayersFacemask
Legend
Legend
I say HC/OC/IC (Imperial Chancellor)

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
2 members like this: ScottPlayersFacemask, MemphisBrownie
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Agreed and renaming the team the Cleveland Fightin’ Stefanskis and if Stef is feeling frisky he’ll put “the” in all caps.

2 members like this: FATE, MemphisBrownie
B
Legend
Legend
B
You guys are funny.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
What's funny is everyone excoriating Stefanski this season... and nobody has placed any blame on DePodesta (that's your cue, Mac).

That's the surest of all signs that Stefanski has arrived!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Cam Justice covers the Browns and interviewed Stump Mitchell. The interview is out there.

It was interesting to hear what he said about Kareem and KS.

Stump felt that he could not reach Kareem. Even through guys like Jacoby and Deshaun. Kareem late for meetings. Late for practice. Basically not doing the things that needed to be done. He felt Kareem could be better than he has shown.

He also felt that KS is a great play caller and should not give up that duty.

He indicated that some of the backs were not the guys he wanted. He did mention names.

He loved the culture of Cleveland and the organization.

He did not understand letting AVP go other saying the organization will do what they feel to improve. He was pro AB and the Haslams.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Looks like AJ Green III has been released.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
P
Legend
Legend
P
That kid earned it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
1 member likes this: FATE
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
IMHO, Jones was the brightest upcoming star for the Browns this year. He ended up the season as the highest PFF graded OT for the Browns at 64.7. As a 4th round pick from Ohio State, that's 10.7 points higher than 1st round pick Wills and his upcoming overpaid 14.58M option year. If Conklin can return healthy and Jones continues to improve, the Browns could have both OT's grading out in the high 70's - low 80's which would give the Browns two tackles ranked in the top 15. Very pleased with Jones' 2023 performance.

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
https://aweu.info/browns-9-million-...z1hpkRV6UuVYOS3Qe3NE29DMULiwunyzEhZvZaNQ

Browns $9 Million Playmaker Dubbed a Top Cap Casualty Candidate
NFL KieuLinh · January 21, 2024 · 0 Comment

The Cleveland Browns have a salary cap problem heading into the offseason, and the current roster is unlikely to arrive at training camp without losing a couple of important contributors along the way.

Elijah Moore, Browns

Spencer German of Sports Illustrated on Wednesday, January 17, compiled a list of the top four potential salary cap casualty candidates on Cleveland’s roster. Among them was wide receiver Elijah Moore, who the team acquired ahead of the 2023 campaign.

Moore had an up and down season after coming over to Cleveland from the [New York] Jets via a trade in late March. There were massive expectations heaped on him almost immediately as the Browns unveiled an Elijah Moore package during training camp. The on-the-field output just never seemed to materialize though, especially when Watson was under center, as the 2021 second-round pick caught just two touchdowns all season.

There’s no guarantee [GM Andrew] Berry and company want to move on from Moore after giving up a second round pick of their own to acquire him. Doing so, however, would save Cleveland nearly $1.9 million with no dead cap hit in 2024.

Browns Can Justify Cutting WR Elijah Moore, Despite Trading for Him Ahead of 2023 NFL Draft

Cleveland Browns receiver Elijah Moore had a message after suffering a concussion against the Jets.
Bailing on a player for less than $2 million in savings just one year after surrendering a second-round pick to acquire him is rarely, if ever, good business. However, the full details of the trade make the notion of cutting Moore considerably less offensive.

The Browns did give up their No. 42 overall pick in the 2023 draft to acquire the wideout, though they also brought back the Jets’ No. 74 overall selection in the third round. As such, the price for Moore was a one-round, 25-spot pick swap and not pick with full second-round value.

Because of that — combined with the salary cap constraints Cleveland is facing, currently $13.86 million in the red — moving on from a player like Moore for the savings is, at least, a reasonable consideration.

Elijah Moore Has 1 More Cost-Controlled Year Before Hitting Free Agency

Moore wasn’t overly crucial to the Browns’ offensive success last season, though he did put up career-highs in targets (104), receptions (59) and receiving yards (640), per Pro Football Reference. He added 2 TDs and was the team’s clear-cut No. 2 option in the wide receiver room by season’s end.

If Moore remains in Cleveland, the Browns will probably need to add a wideout with a talent floor above Moore’s to pair alongside Amari Cooper in order to keep pace with the upper-echelon of the AFC. Moore will remain a reasonably-priced slot receiver through at least the 2024 campaign, which is the final season of his four-year, $9 million rookie contract.

Moore will undoubtedly be looking for sizable raise on a multiyear deal when he comes up for free agency in March 2025, which could mark the end of his time in Cleveland anyway, as the Browns will remain a cap-strapped organization for the next three seasons — also known as the life of quarterback Deshaun Watson’s five-year, $230 million fully-guaranteed contract.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
The Cleveland Browns have a salary cap problem heading into the offseason
No, they don't.

Browns $9 Million Playmaker Dubbed a Top Cap Casualty Candidate
This title is misleading. Moore is $1.87MM on the books in 2024 in the final year of the contract (which is referenced). In his time with the Browns, he will cost roughly $3.3MM over two years on their cap.

Browns Can Justify Cutting WR Elijah Moore, Despite Trading for Him Ahead of 2023 NFL Draft
Not sure if justify is the term to use considering how cheap he is to keep in a WR room.

Bailing on a player for less than $2 million in savings just one year after surrendering a second-round pick to acquire him is rarely, if ever, good business.
Then why promote "dubbing" him a cap casualty? Plus it was a pick swap....not just giving up a second round pick.

For more KieuLinh wordpress articles, visit https://aweu.info/author/kieulinh/

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
It would not surprise me if Wills is traded. Dawand Jones was outstanding.

There is a bunch of money tied up at tackle between Conklin and Wills. Conklin is a good player. It is unfortunate the injuries he has had.

IMO Wills is average at best. Jones could play LT.

I hope AB reevaluates the tackle position. Hudson has a year left and Christian was on a one year deal. Neither guy looked the part. I know backups at tackle are not paid much around $1m. Maybe we can find better. I do not know who we can get and for how much?

Wills would be fine for depth but not at his number.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I would hope this past season sent a message that the last thing they would want to do is lose one of their top 4 OT's on the depth chart.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I would hope this past season sent a message that the last thing they would want to do is lose one of their top 4 OT's on the depth chart.

That comment is understandable but keeping Wills as a potential backup at 14.58M when the team will and does have other needs seems like a poor decision. The issue is that trading Wills and his 14.58M guaranteed contract will cause serious issues in making a deal. In addition, the Browns are also on the hook for another $1,372,057 for the prorated bonuses they have for Wills renegotiated void years 2025 thru 2027. Total dead money for moving or keeping Wills is $15,953,409. That's a lot of cash for a backup and could have been avoided by not exercising that 5th year option in May. Guess you get what you sow.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My thought would be to move Dewand to LT and Willis back to the right side.

Dewand played both LT and RT at OSU so I think he could easily make the switch.
Willis played only RT at Alabama and has never seemed comfortable with the switch

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
P
Legend
Legend
P
And I think you hit the nail on the head. Nobody is going to pay that price for Wills. It seems to me that Conklin has reached the stage that he most likely won't be on the field for long. As such I doubt that Wills would be in a backup roll for long.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Conklin's future with the Browns will likely depend on his ability to stay healthy and show that he can contribute. Seems to me that over last two years Conklins body has been sending him a message that it might be time to end his playing career.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Dewand Jones will need to focus on strengthening his joints and back while getting his weight down to insure that his body is in shape and capable of enduring the punishment Jones is going to face playing a 17 game regular season. Putting the work in during the off season will help DW fulfill his potential.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
If you’re intent on replacing Wills I’d say maybe find his replacement before you go demoting or trading him, thank you very much. He’s a middle of the road left tackle, which is itself pretty damn hard to find if you didn’t know. Moving Jones over to LT is a big ??? And frankly, Conklin might be done. It’s been a patellar, an ACL and an MCL all in the same knee since 2021. I’m no expert but that sounds like one knee injury away from forced retirement. I just don’t understand the instinct to ditch players before you have anyone to replace them with that’s better…? So many bigger fish to fry on this team.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If I was Conklin, I'd retire

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted by 10YrOvernightSuccess
I just don’t understand the instinct to ditch players before you have anyone to replace them with that’s better…? So many bigger fish to fry on this team.

A Browns fan tradition like no other.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

This could be interesting.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
He is a qualified guy.

The Cowboys under him as an OC were a good offense.

Some guys are identified as using a particular scheme. Moore I don't know his scheme from Dallas. They used play action from what I remember.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns News Continued....

Link Copied to Clipboard