Can David Njoku be a No. 1 tight end? Browns key questions for 2022

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/20...t-end-browns-key-questions-for-2022.html

By Ashley Bastock, cleveland.com
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- As a social media debate consumed Twitter earlier this offseason, Browns tight end David Njoku wasn’t paying attention.

The discourse centered around Njoku’s flashy new contract extension, a four-year deal worth up to $56.75 million that makes him the fifth-highest paid tight end in the NFL, putting him in the company of first-team All-Pros and multiple-time Pro Bowlers (San Francisco’s George Kittle, Kansas City’s Travis Kelce, Philadelphia’s Dallas Goedert and Baltimore’s Mark Andrews).

“It’s actually my first time hearing that the Browns overpaid me,” Njoku said during the team’s OTAs this offseason. “I didn’t hear that. I mean, it’s my first time. It is what it is. I feel like we are going to do great things together in the near future.”

Njoku may have tuned out the social media noise, but on the field he will have to answer one burning question: Can he be a No. 1 tight end?

At this moment, it’s an unanswerable question for sure. But what’s inarguable is Njoku likely has untapped potential, and the Browns believe that with more time, experience, and targets, he can get there.

With Austin Hooper released and now with the Tennessee Titans, Njoku is the undisputed No. 1 tight end on the roster. In his career, however, Njoku has only averaged 36 receptions, 428 yards and 3.5 touchdowns in his four healthy seasons (he only played four games in 2019 after breaking his wrist and landing in Freddie Kitchens’ doghouse).

Considering coach Kevin Stefanski and quarterback Deshaun Watson like to utilize tight ends in the pass game (Watson has thrown about 20% of his 104 career TD passes to tight ends), it wouldn’t be shocking for Njoku to get the second-most targets behind star wide receiver Amari Cooper, even if there is a decreased use of 13 personnel (one running back, three tight ends).

With the extension, the Browns are seemingly paying Njoku based on potential rather than past production.

He certainly has potential, considering Njoku is only 25 and has been in the league for five years.

“He is young,” Stefanski said during OTAs. “I do not know if he physically can grow any more, but his game can grow. That is a conversation I have had with him. I do expect his game to grow, and it is not as simple as saying, ‘Hey, we are going to throw more balls to you.’ I think his game will grow, and you will see it in the run game and in the pass game, and you will see it kind of throughout. I think he is committed to that. David wants to get better, and to be 25, I think you have that opportunity to get better.”

Over the years Njoku’s greatly improved his blocking, something that has drawn praise from both Stefanski and GM Andrew Berry. Last season he was the best blocking tight end on the team with a 72.4 pass blocking grade and 64.1 run blocking grade, according to Pro Football Focus.

The pass game is where he has the most room to grow.

Drops have been one of his biggest perceived issues, and while he still has room to improve there, he’s come a long way already. Njoku dropped eight balls during the 2018 season, but had just three in 2020 and two last season, according to PFF.

There’s also room to improve his route running.

“Especially on plays where he has to break down and make cuts,“ offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt said. “David is really fast and a really good straight-line runner so improvement in his route-running ability [is possible].”

Considering his size at 6-4, 246 pounds, Njoku could be the kind of tight end to get eight touchdowns a season, as Mary Kay Cabot has argued. So far he’s averaged only three, but when you talk about potential, Njoku’s development combined with Watson’s accuracy understandably has the Browns optimistic that he can perform in the No. 1 role.

That experience that Njoku is going to gain, and the confidence that comes with being No. 1 on the depth chart may ultimately be what helps Njoku reach his potential -- his new contract reinforces the front office’s expectations.

Njoku will have more of an opportunity than ever before due to increased experience and targets.

Regardless of the social media chatter, he has the chance this year to prove he can be a No. 1 tight end and quiet the critics for good.